Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

and towards Tokmak (on the road to Melitopol):

A push towards Tokmak would be huge. I mean, obviously, but anything successful along that line of axis opens up all kinds of opportunities.

Edit: I'm not really adding anything here. Just looking at maps and imagining possibilities.

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 1

More regarding a possible Tokmak offensive. And by more, I mean a seven second clip of lots of puffs of smoke from the Russian perspective. But hey, I'm desperate here for updates, and I figure some other folks on this thread are feeling the same way. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

As long as you can remember?   Try since Peter was the Tsar.

In the tldr section the wiki entry on Kievan Rus is interesting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kievan_Rus' .

A couple of notes of interest

Prior to the emergence of Kievan Rus' in the 9th century, most of the area north of the Black Sea was primarily populated by eastern Slavic tribes.[37] In the northern region around Novgorod were the Ilmen Slavs[38] and neighboring Krivichi, who occupied territories surrounding the headwaters of the West Dvina, Dnieper and Volga rivers. To their north, in the Ladoga and Karelia regions, were the Finnic Chud tribe. In the south, in the area around Kiev, were the Poliane, a group of Slavicized tribes with Iranian origins,[39] the Drevliane to the west of the Dnieper, and the Severiane to the east. To their north and east were the Vyatichi, and to their south was forested land settled by Slav farmers, giving way to steppelands populated by nomadic herdsmen.[citation needed]

There was once controversy over whether the Rus' were Varangians or Slavs, however, more recently scholarly attention has focused more on debating how quickly an ancestrally Norse people assimilated into Slavic culture.[e]

The expansion of the Rus' put further military and economic pressure on the Khazars, depriving them of territory, tributaries and trade.[93] In around 890, Oleg waged an indecisive war in the lands of the lower Dniester and Dnieper rivers with the Tivertsi and the Ulichs, who were likely acting as vassals of the Magyars, blocking Rus' access to the Black Sea.[94] In 894, the Magyars and Pechenegs were drawn into the wars between the Byzantines and the Bulgarian Empire. The Byzantines arranged for the Magyars to attack Bulgarian territory from the north, and Bulgaria in turn persuaded the Pechenegs to attack the Magyars from their rear.[95][96]

Boxed in, the Magyars were forced to migrate further west across the Carpathian Mountains into the Hungarian plain, depriving the Khazars of an important ally and a buffer from the Rus'.[95][96] The migration of the Magyars allowed Rus' access to the Black Sea,[97] and they soon launched excursions into Khazar territory along the sea coast, up the Don river, and into the lower Volga region. The Rus' were raiding and plundering into the Caspian Sea region from 864,[g] with the first large-scale expedition in 913, when they extensively raided Baku, Gilan, Mazandaran and penetrated into the Caucasus.[h][99][100][101]

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

I don't think Ukraine would elect to destroy a massive chunk of prime farm land, take out 350MW of electricity generation, and destroy a major water source for the entire Crimean peninsula. Russia is salting the earth as they withdraw.

It also screws up their Dnipro operations that they've been preparing for, which is why the Russians probably did it. I don't think it's a coincidence that we see a bunch of videos of Ukrainians practicing amphibious operations and then *boom* goes the dam.

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:
To me allowing the nuclear power plant to go into meltdown, or the use of tactical nuclear weapons, is the crossing of the rubicon that we haven't seen, yet.  

100% agreed - I think the nuke plant (or nuke weapons) are the true Rubicon. And it sucks, because taking the kids and the deliberate execution of civilians, etc., should have all been it, but they weren't.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, statsman said:

Wrt the dam- if I had to bet, my money would be on Russia blowing the dam and lying about it. That said- I would be extremely surprised if Ukraine didn’t have contingency planning for the blown dam incorporated into their strategy. 

(it would not shock me if Ukraine blew -and, no, I have no idea of the mechanism they would use for such an explosion-it because they knew the Russians were holding that as a “card” to play, and they wanted that card played at a time of Ukraine’s choosing)

Based on what the engineers here have said, I just don’t see how AFU blows this dam. Maybe multiple hits by cruise missiles, which would be hard to conceal? I think @Hefeweizen said maybe a special bunker-buster bomb they they don’t have in their arsenal and couldn’t deliver? They for sure have not shelled it with big enough guns, for long enough. 

Not a perfect example but look at what the massive truck bomb did to the Kerch Strait bridge, which is a much weaker structure.  I just don’t see how this came down as anything but from inside. Which the Ukrainians didn’t control. 

But I’m out of my depth on engineering and if a good engineer tells me different, I can be convinced. 

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, Bevo said:

In the tldr section the wiki entry on Kievan Rus is interesting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kievan_Rus' .

A couple of notes of interest

Prior to the emergence of Kievan Rus' in the 9th century, most of the area north of the Black Sea was primarily populated by eastern Slavic tribes.[37] In the northern region around Novgorod were the Ilmen Slavs[38] and neighboring Krivichi, who occupied territories surrounding the headwaters of the West Dvina, Dnieper and Volga rivers. To their north, in the Ladoga and Karelia regions, were the Finnic Chud tribe. In the south, in the area around Kiev, were the Poliane, a group of Slavicized tribes with Iranian origins,[39] the Drevliane to the west of the Dnieper, and the Severiane to the east. To their north and east were the Vyatichi, and to their south was forested land settled by Slav farmers, giving way to steppelands populated by nomadic herdsmen.[citation needed]

There was once controversy over whether the Rus' were Varangians or Slavs, however, more recently scholarly attention has focused more on debating how quickly an ancestrally Norse people assimilated into Slavic culture.[e]

The expansion of the Rus' put further military and economic pressure on the Khazars, depriving them of territory, tributaries and trade.[93] In around 890, Oleg waged an indecisive war in the lands of the lower Dniester and Dnieper rivers with the Tivertsi and the Ulichs, who were likely acting as vassals of the Magyars, blocking Rus' access to the Black Sea.[94] In 894, the Magyars and Pechenegs were drawn into the wars between the Byzantines and the Bulgarian Empire. The Byzantines arranged for the Magyars to attack Bulgarian territory from the north, and Bulgaria in turn persuaded the Pechenegs to attack the Magyars from their rear.[95][96]

Boxed in, the Magyars were forced to migrate further west across the Carpathian Mountains into the Hungarian plain, depriving the Khazars of an important ally and a buffer from the Rus'.[95][96] The migration of the Magyars allowed Rus' access to the Black Sea,[97] and they soon launched excursions into Khazar territory along the sea coast, up the Don river, and into the lower Volga region. The Rus' were raiding and plundering into the Caspian Sea region from 864,[g] with the first large-scale expedition in 913, when they extensively raided Baku, Gilan, Mazandaran and penetrated into the Caucasus.[h][99][100][101]

The history of that area is fascinating to me, starting with the Scythians who were a powerful nomadic empire in the region who were early adopters in successfully breeding and utilizing horses capable of carrying people (although chariots had been in use for centuries already). 

For 2000 years the Crimean coast was more Greek than anything else, although that ended in the 15th century. 

A naval port/base was first established at Sevastopol in the 5th century BC. 

There's even a strange Jewish/non-Jewish sect called Crimean Karaites who are practically extinct now, but have an extremely odd history.

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

The history of that area is fascinating to me, starting with the Scythians who were a powerful nomadic empire in the region who were early adopters in successfully breeding and utilizing horses capable of carrying people (although chariots had been in use for centuries already). 

For 2000 years the Crimean coast was more Greek than anything else, although that ended in the 15th century. 

A naval port/base was first established at Sevastopol in the 5th century BC. 

There's even a strange Jewish/non-Jewish sect called Crimean Karaites who are practically extinct now, but have an extremely odd history.

Yeah, there are lots of rabbit holes one can dig into when reading about the area. For example,

Ahmad ibn Fadlan, an Arab traveler during the 10th century, provided one of the earliest written descriptions of the Rus': "They are as tall as a date palm, blond and ruddy, so that they do not need to wear a tunic nor a cloak; rather the men among them wear garments that only cover half of his body and leaves one of his hands free."[57] Liutprand of Cremona, who was twice an envoy to the Byzantine court (949 and 968), identifies the "Russi" with the Norse ("the Russi, whom we call Norsemen by another name")[58] but explains the name as a Greek term referring to their physical traits ("A certain people made up of a part of the Norse, whom the Greeks call [...] the Russi on account of their physical features, we designate as Norsemen because of the location of their origin.").[59] Leo the Deacon, a 10th-century Byzantine historian and chronicler, refers to the Rus' as "Scythians" and notes that they tended to adopt Greek rituals and customs.[60]

4 hours ago, KYHorn said:

congratulations, Putin!

You have managed to make Switzerland, Sweden and Finland all abandon neutrality!

How badly do you have to fuck up to get Switzerland, Sweden and Finland to give up on neutrality? This badly. That's how much.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

?

Edit: Wait, I see, you're posting something about the Nord Stream pipeline. Unfortunately, it only appears for a second on my computer and then disappears. So I have no idea what you're posting. Presuming it is about the leaked intelligence that connects it to Ukraine, I don't see why that should have much credence. It was apparently an anonymous source that couldn't be corroborated. If Russia wanted to blame Ukraine, setting up intelligence to blame Ukraine before you the explosion would be a good way to do it. 

1. Pretty much all human intelligence sources are anonymous to the public.  The European spy agency who fed the CIA the information knows who it is. It's not like it was posted on a message board.    

2. That doesn't necessarily mean the Ukrainians did it.  It would be surprising if they didn't have conceptual plans drawn up on how to blow up the pipelines.  But it does demonstrate they perceived some advantages in destroying it.  

3. I still absolutely do not fucking care if they did.  They are fighting for their lives. 

• Hook 'Em 7

56 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This is what I figured re: military impact of blowing the dam:

Ukraine very possibly had to shift or delay the counteroffensive, had to redirect resources to help evacuate and recover, had to respond diplomatically, and now Russia has some new shit to shoot about. That’s quite enough for Mr. Putin to give the go-ahead. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

That was the point.  MIA made what I assume/hope was a flippant remark.  I assume the droopy "now that makes me mad" reaction to the dogs swimming is also just an exaggeration.  

Please don't devalue how I feel about the suffering of animals.

I am active financially and personally in many animal rescue efforts.

I'm not PETAtarded level tho.

Of course I don't propose the genocide of all Russians. Just the bad ones 

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

All of this makes me think once Russia is pushed out that Ukraine is going to get into the navy business right quick.  Can you imagine how pissed off the Russians would be with having a squadron of P-8s moving in and out of Sevastopol and environs?  Delicious. 

Would the US consider placing a forward base in Ukraine after this is over and Ukraine is granted NATO Membership? Or would this be too much for the ruskies to handle?

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

Would the US consider placing a forward base in Ukraine after this is over and Ukraine is granted NATO Membership? Or would this be too much for the ruskies to handle?

Oh its happening, no lube included

• Hook 'Em 5

28 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

I'm not. I've been playing around with this girl for a few months.  Even took her to Luckenbach.  Her brother is still in Ukraine fighting.

image000000 (1).PNG

image000000.JPG

image000000.PNG

I'm confused.  Are you harboring Ukranian refugees?  If so, I salute you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

The New York Times suggests that this is absolutely most likely an internal blast.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/06/world/europe/ukraine-kakhovka-dam-russia.html

A deliberate explosion inside the Kakhovka dam, on the front line of the war in Ukraine, most likely caused its collapse on Tuesday, according to engineering and munitions experts, who said that structural failure or an attack from outside the dam were possible but less plausible explanations.

Ukrainian officials blamed Russia for the failure, noting that Moscow’s military forces — which have repeatedly struck Ukrainian infrastructure since invading last year — controlled the dam spanning the Dnipro River, putting them in a position to detonate explosives from within.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Please don't devalue how I feel about the suffering of animals.

I am active financially and personally in many animal rescue efforts.

I'm not PETAtarded level tho.

Of course I don't propose the genocide of all Russians. Just the bad ones 

72702a22-8421-4c43-8f54-fc21a4877796_tex

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

I've posted videos from this journalist on this thread previously, but it's been a while. She's my absolute favorite covering the war. In particular, her stories in and around Bakhmut I find utterly compelling.

In this video she and her colleagues cover a number of elements that make up an assault on the Russian position. No real footage of the assault itself, but 48m of the people behind the operation before and afterwards. I found it extremely compelling. I hope some of you do as well.

• Hook 'Em 5