Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Turks have now formally declined Ukraine's request to close the Dardanelles and Bosphorus, which I think was generally expected. Putin can absolutely make life miserable for Erdogan on a variety of levels: Gas supply, different moves within Turkic world that Erdogan gets off on so much, and, of course, in Idlib. And given how aggressive things have escalated to date, I don't think anyone wants shit kicking off in the ME.

ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkey cannot stop Russian warships accessing the Black Sea via its straits, as Ukraine has requested, due to a clause in an international pact that allows vessels to return to their home base, the Turkish foreign minister said on Friday.

Ukraine has appealed to Turkey to block Russian warships from passing through the Dardanelles and Bosphorus straits which lead to the Black Sea, after Moscow on Thursday launched a full-blown assault on Ukraine from land, air and sea.

Russian forces landed at Ukraine's Black and Azov Sea ports as part of the invasion.

Under the 1936 Montreux Convention, Turkey has control over the straits and can limit the passage of warships during wartime or if threatened, but the request has put the NATO member in a difficult position as it tries to manage its Western commitments and close ties with Russia.

Speaking in Kazakhstan, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Turkey was studying Kyiv's request but said Russia had the right under the Convention to return ships to their home base, in this case the Black Sea.

So even if Turkey decided after a legal process to accept Ukraine's request and close the straits to Russian warships, he said, they would only be prevented from travelling in the other direction, away from their home base into the Mediterranean.

"If countries involved in the war make a request to return their vessels to their bases, that needs to be allowed," the Hurriyet daily quoted Cavusoglu as saying.

TURKEY'S BALANCING ACT

Cavusoglu added that Turkish legal experts were still trying to determine whether the conflict in Ukraine could be defined as a war, which would allow the convention mandates to be invoked.

Ukraine's ambassador to Turkey, Vasyl Bodnar, said on Friday Kyiv was expecting a "positive response" from Ankara to its request.

Cavusoglu also reiterated Ankara's opposition to imposing economic sanctions against Russia, a stance that has set Turkey apart from most of its NATO allies which have already announced such measures.

Turkey has cultivated good ties with both Russia and Ukraine. It has said the Russian attack is unacceptable and that it supports Ukraine's territorial integrity but has avoided using words such as "invasion" to describe what is happening.

Ankara has pursued cooperation with Moscow on defence and energy but has also sold drones to Ukraine and inked a deal to co-produce more. It also opposes Russian policies in Syria and Libya, as well as its annexation of Crimea in 2014.

(Reporting by Tuvan Gumrukcu; Editing by Gareth Jones)

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/turkey-cannot-stop-russian-warships-accessing-black-sea--says-foreign-minister/47380138

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Today I’m completely grossed out by the entirety of the Western response.  Seriously weak sauce all around. Who gives a fuck if Russia purges Ukraine as long as we can keep F250s in cheap gas.

Agreed.  The US has unsurprisingly done the most but even our carveouts on energy and SWIFT are stupid.  And FUCK CHINA.  They keep putting out statements of non-commital support for Putin by blaming the West, and are doing additional incursions around Taiwanese airspace.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Agreed.  The US has unsurprisingly done the most but even our carveouts on energy and SWIFT are stupid.  And FUCK CHINA.  They keep putting out statements of non-commital support for Putin by blaming the West, and are doing additional incursions around Taiwanese airspace.

China is in favor of this. Don’t get twisted, when China talks about territorial integrity, that only applies to China and whatever it wants to be China.  Ask India, Vietnam, and the Philippines about China respecting territorial integrity and sovereign— it’s not just Taiwan.

A world where if you’re bigger and meaner you take what you want is a world that suits China. 

And a prayer for far-left anti-Americans learning that there’s something worse than U.S. hegemony today. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Right or wrong, Germany is coming across fairly poorly in terms of their govt and people. 

Rightly.  They are showing their mercantilist pussy face right now.  And I am half German.  Lots of family all over the Rheinland near France.  I am ashamed of their craven behaviour and stupid energy policy (especially re: nuclear).

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Another piece of shit to eat— all these new visa bans on Russians? Yeah, the really loaded folks with villas in Greece, yachts in the southern med, etc.— they either have residence permits or a Golden Maltese passport and this doesn’t affect them. 

But yes, making sure babushka from Voronezh can’t come see her daughter who married a Dutch and is raising grandkids— that will get Putin’s goat. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

43 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

The narrative in the US news is that the sanctions on Russia are extremely tough. That message came from the Administration and isn't being challenged, yet. From surly, it is pretty apparent what could have been done, but wasn't. And what was done won't have much of an immediate effect. I find that kind of odd considering this will all be over by the weekend, all parties involved except for the Ukraine will forget about it in a few days, and because it will be forgotten, sanctions as they are will probably be dropped pretty quickly. My guess is that it will embolden Putin to do the same thing again with other former Soviet Bloc nations. Does the German News use the same narrative of "tough sanctions" or do they go more in depth to describe the reality of the situation?

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Shady Ray said:

Lulz. Bundeswehr finally admitting what everyone in Germany has long known to be the case.

Freezin' cold and without self-defense is no way to go through life, son.

Good on him for pouring the clear wine and not repeating MoNeY fOr HiGhWaYs AnD bABy FoRmULa In AnGoLa Is DeFeNsE sPeNdInG !?@

• Hook 'Em 2

This is a great read.  Former US Army commander in Europe on how bad the Russian army morale and training is in actuality.

I just wish the west had one iota of the giant balls the Ukrainians are showing.

Thank you for posting. I want to believe! You have to feel for any free people taking on authoritarian regimes.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Another piece of shit to eat— all these new visa bans on Russians? Yeah, the really loaded folks with villas in Greece, yachts in the southern med, etc.— they either have residence permits or a Golden Maltese passport and this doesn’t affect them. 

But yes, making sure babushka from Voronezh can’t come see her daughter who married a Dutch and is raising grandkids— that will get Putin’s goat. 

I feel largely the same about all the oligarch talk. Those people have worldwide financial networks and will get their corrupt pockets lined by China or whoever. The people who really need to feel the squeeze, and hard, are everyday Russians. Make them feel it and make them notice how few of their kids are coming back from Ukraine (coffins or not). This is an unpopular war already, time to turn up the heat.

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Right or wrong, Germany is coming across fairly poorly in terms of their govt and people. 

Brother, you ain't seein' the half of it. You should have heard one of the political talk shows last night with a guest saying, "We should not worry. In the future we can partly weather this certificate withdrawal of NS2 by just using the full capacity of NS1, which to date we have not done."

spacer.png

Edit to clarify: The whole move towards NS2 was to cut off Ukranian transit overhead, as it doesn't really impact supply beyond just cutting the Ukrainians out of the picture...so by saying this, its basically saying "we can weather the storm if the Russians fuck over the Ukrainians by upping NS1, ya see"

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The narrative in the US news is that the sanctions on Russia are extremely tough. That message came from the Administration and isn't being challenged, yet. From surly, it is pretty apparent what could have been done, but wasn't. And what was done won't have much of an immediate effect. I find that kind of odd considering this will all be over by the weekend, all parties involved except for the Ukraine will forget about it in a few days, and because it will be forgotten, sanctions as they are will probably be dropped pretty quickly. My guess is that it will embolden Putin to do the same thing again with other former Soviet Bloc nations. Does the German News use the same narrative of "tough sanctions" or do they go more in depth to describe the reality of the situation?

I’m gonna throw up in my mouth a little saying this, but kudos to whatever talking head anchor lady was on CNN yesterday. After Biden’s address they were basically saying “That’s it? That’s not gonna do shit.”

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

find that kind of odd considering this will all be over by the weekend, all parties involved except for the Ukraine will forget about it in a few days, and because it will be forgotten, sanctions as they are will probably be dropped pretty quickly.

i tend to think you're wrong there. i think the ukranians are going to bleed out the ruskies. these pics of russian soldiers occupying city parks...they're going to start getting whacked. this isn't going to end anytime soon for russia.

as much as i hate seeing this happen, man it's nice watching another country trip on their own dicks instead of it being us for once.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

Brother, you ain't seein' the half of it. You should have heard one of the political talk shows last night with a guest saying, "We should not worry. In the future we can partly weather this certificate withdrawal of NS2 by just using the full capacity of NS1, which to date we have not done."

When your children ask "How was Putin allowed to get away with this?" here is your answer. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

Thank you for posting. I want to believe! You have to feel for any free people taking on authoritarian regimes.

No idea whether that Twitter thread is accurate or not, but it’s easy to believe that young Russian men, with less than 1 year in the military, don’t want to be in Ukraine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Are all military aircraft really accurately traceable on public websites?

And I think Putin would use a tactical nuke if NATO troops engage.   He would be banking on us deciding not to retaliate with nukes and risk escalating further as long as he didn’t hit civilian targets.   They run these exercises that always end with a tactical nuke for a reason.  He knows he loses a shooting war with NATO, and that’s his last ditch strategy for trying to win / end it and save his own skin without having Moscow turned to glass. 

They can be publicly traced as long as they have their transponders on. They use an IFF system (identify friend or foe) to figure out who is who once things get shooty.  IFF doesn’t continuously transmit, it replies to an incoming signal so you can get your sneak on. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Good on him for pouring the clear wine and not repeating MoNeY fOr HiGhWaYs AnD bABy FoRmULa In AnGoLa Is DeFeNsE sPeNdInG !?@

I doubt this has made the English news before, but it is a fact that the Bundeswehr has to rent helicopters from the ADAC because it doesn't have enough.

What is the ADAC, you might ask?

The German version of:

spacer.png

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

If I were Ukraine, I would put a call out to the world to ask for volunteers to come kill Russians. It would put some world leaders in a tougher position if some of their citizens started to get killed in Ukraine in fighting Russians.

You know some badass 80 year old Brit will show up. Might even be a grandma.

• Hook 'Em 1

This really makes me wonder about our system of governments in the west.  Fundamentally we are terrible at getting it together until someone steps across a line which obviously hasn’t been reached yet.  

9/11 obviously comes to mind, as does Iraq in the opposite way.  But we are handing the playbook on how to take Taiwan to China.  Not intending to take this thread down that road, just thinking through some fundamental shortcomings in our responses to a really terrible human doing exactly what we knew he was going to do.  He’s just doing it out in the open.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If I were Ukraine, I would put a call out to the world to ask for volunteers to come kill Russians. It would put some world leaders in a tougher position if some of their citizens started to get killed in Ukraine in fighting Russians.

You know some badass 80 year old Brit will show up. Might even be a grandma.

Zelenskyy already did basically that today, asked any Europeans with experience to come help.

Putin has offered to go to Minsk to negotiate but only on the condition that the Ukrainian Army surrender first. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

58 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

China is in favor of this. Don’t get twisted, when China talks about territorial integrity, that only applies to China and whatever it wants to be China.  Ask India, Vietnam, and the Philippines about China respecting territorial integrity and sovereign— it’s not just Taiwan.

A world where if you’re bigger and meaner you take what you want is a world that suits China. 

And a prayer for far-left anti-Americans learning that there’s something worse than U.S. hegemony today. 

Edited:  I appreciate your posts in this thread. (I had misread your last comment).

Edited by DDD Dad

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Understood— to clarify, I live in Europe and am speaking about that movement here and not politics in the homeland. 

Plenty of that sentiment in the "homeland" as well, so I dont see the difference (in poopooing the statement)

This really makes me wonder about our system of governments in the west.  Fundamentally we are terrible at getting it together until someone steps across a line which obviously hasn’t been reached yet.  

9/11 obviously comes to mind, as does Iraq in the opposite way.  But we are handing the playbook on how to take Taiwan to China.  Not intending to take this thread down that road, just thinking through some fundamental shortcomings in our responses to a really terrible human doing exactly what we knew he was going to do.  He’s just doing it out in the open.

Hard times make hard men, hard men make easy times, easy times make soft men, soft men make hard times.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

There is a terrible habit of escalating incompetence Western Europe.

I can boil this down in one example:

We are talking now about how inept and pathetic the Bundeswehr is. Of course, that cannot be attributable to one specific politician, as it has been a succession of weak leaders who have escalated complete incompetents to positions of power in the Defense Ministry due to their own domestic political games (looking right at you, Angie Merkel). However, in the sorry list of shitty heads of the Ministry of Defense, there is one who stands head and shoulders above the rest. She was soooooo bad at the job, and took soooooo much ridicule by the German people (who generally don't give a fuck about the Bundeswehr anyway) that there was no place for Angie to put this woman in the Government when Angie got to the end of her term. Even the military was openly blasting their own Defense Chief.

But Angie needed to escalate into the Secretary of Defense role the woman who, at the time, Angie thought would be her heir. A woman named Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer. So, in order to make room for this move, Angie had to move this laughingstock out. So she used her power to install her elsewhere.

Who was this pathetic Defense Minister... and where was she installed, you might ask?

Spoiler

1389662677_ScreenShot2022-02-25at2_12_24PM.thumb.png.929036bc63ae777d95b3008305f4e62c.png

She's the one running the EU.

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Rage+1 3

27 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Do you think the Russian “army” will capture and kill Zelenskyy and his cabinet (those that are staying behind?) holding back tears this morning thinking of all the brave people fighting and there is not a fucking thing I can do about it. I think about their families and especially their littles ughhh…

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй