Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

45 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Where this is bad for China is that they were stronger together with Russia on the world stage. Fri-enemies with similar goals to minimize the strength of the west. If/when Putin is out of power, IF Russia moves in a democratic path, then China is on an island. A very large island, but they become the main target for all the rest of the world to put in a box. 

But there’s huge potential upside for the Chinese in that the weaker Putin is, the more favorable terms for the Chinese to plunder their natural resources and potentially turn the Russians into a client state. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

WTF not. And not a peep from the OAS. So two of Latin America's most powerful presidents have sided with Russia. interesting is one is right wing and the other left wing. 

San Miguel Allende has a large population of native English speakers and they deserve their own republic or at least a special federal status. 

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Assuming they even make it to their destination

I think they know the Ukrainians have something big planned for that convoy. Boom motherfucker! Slava Ukraini! Fuck Putin for causing the needless death of his own troops and Ukrainians. Fuck him and I hope he dies a painful death soon. 

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Meanwhile we were doing shit in the first Gulf War that makes these Russians look like fucking amateurs.  

And I came across an article that collected photos from damaged/abandoned Russian vehicles, and they aren’t seeing GPS devices, or even mounts for them.  Toss that onto the pile of things like a lack of night vision gear and lack of optics on rifles.  

Who stated earlier?  Many Russian soldiers can't even read a map

Good article on logistics and Russia from November of last year   If you look where they are at now, it matches the article’s speculation on the limits of Russian units operating away from their supply dumps.  Their problems right now maybe tied to them being at the outer limits of their supply chain.

https://warontherocks.com/2021/11/feeding-the-bear-a-closer-look-at-russian-army-logistics/

Russia’s truck logistic support, which would be crucial in an invasion of Eastern Europe, is limited by the number of trucks and range of operations. It is possible to calculate how far trucks can operate using simple beer math. Assuming the existing road network can support 45 mph speeds, a single truck can make three trips a day at up to a 45-mile range: One hours to load, one hour to drive to the supported unit, one hours to unload, and another hour to return to base. Repeating this cycle three times equals 12 hours total. The rest of the day is dedicated to truck maintenance, meals, refueling, weapons cleaning, and sleeping. Increase the distance to 90 miles, and the truck can make two trips daily. At 180 miles, the same truck is down to one trip a day. These assumptions won’t work in rough terrain or where there is limited/damaged infrastructure. If an army has just enough trucks to sustain itself at a 45-mile distance, then at 90 miles, the throughput will be 33 percent lower. At 180 miles, it will be down by 66 percent. The further you push from supply dumps, the fewer supplies you can replace in a single day.

The Russian army does not have enough trucks to meet its logistic requirement more than 90 miles beyond supply dumps. To reach a 180-mile range, the Russian army would have to double truck allocation to 400 trucks for each of the material-technical support brigades. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Time to cancel that trip to Cancun. 

MEXICO CITY, March 1 (Reuters) - Mexico will not impose any economic sanctions on Russia for invading Ukraine, Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Tuesday.

He also criticized what he called censorship of Russian state-sponsored media by social media companies.

"We are not going to take any sort of economic reprisal because we want to have good relations with all the governments in the world," Lopez Obrador told a news conference.

трахаться и узнать мудак! мир наблюдает. мы будем помнить.

Slava Ukraini!!!!!

To me it sounds like if we or the EU donate modern fighters to Slovakia, Slovakia will donate MiGs to Ukraine. It seems like an easy decision.
What is a harder decision is whether we want to donate planes to the Ukraine and have them flown by mercenaries. The right planes, equipment, and pilots could decimate that convoy even with Russian air defenses as they are in the Ukraine.
Just give them our old block 20/25 F-16s from the Arizona Boneyard and call it even.

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think they know the Ukrainians have something big planned for that convoy. Boom motherfucker! Slava Ukraini! Fuck Putin for causing the needless death of his own troops and Ukrainians. Fuck him and I hope he dies a painful death soon. 

Let it run out of gas then pillage all their gear.

Speaking of which. I assume we're doing a good job of supplying Ukraine with fuel?

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

But there’s huge potential upside for the Chinese in that the weaker Putin is, the more favorable terms for the Chinese to plunder their natural resources and potentially turn the Russians into a client state. 

Absolutely truth. If/when Putin falls, the next big phase of this is who gets to get the bigger piece of the piroshki. 

4 hours ago, Shady Ray said:

Yes. It is completely unreasonable to think that after decades of authoritarian rule that a sudden and unexpected change in Russian government would end up in a spot where a new leader allowed the West significant access and influence within its markets.

spacer.png

And no one is saying they are going to get intimately involved, but they are clearly able to extend significant lifelines to a Russia that would collapse otherwise. And that's my point. They will try to influence a wobbly Russian government in a significant way.

Clearly there are many different ways that a succession in Russia could go. Most of them not leading to increased degree of democratic behavior. Doesn't change the fact that Russian leadership succession isn't incredibly critical for them.

I don’t think you and I have the same view of how critical it is. Important? Absolutely. Critical? I don’t see it. 

And a Yeltsin style Russia which was basically overseeing a burgeoning criminal state would not be the threat to China you seem to be implying. I have no idea how they’d view it. Maybe they do see it as a threat in some way. But it’s not like China is about to expand their territory into Russia. 

“…but they are clearly able to extend significant lifelines to a Russia that would collapse otherwise. And that's my point.” 

Is that something to be concerned about? I mean, sure. They’re doing it right now. They do it with Iran and especially North Korea, too. I don’t understand how this changes the game in some way, so I guess I don’t understand why it’s a relevant point. But I’ll admit I could be missing something you’re trying to say. If that’s the case I apologize. 

19 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Time to cancel that trip to Cancun. 

MEXICO CITY, March 1 (Reuters) - Mexico will not impose any economic sanctions on Russia for invading Ukraine, Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Tuesday.

He also criticized what he called censorship of Russian state-sponsored media by social media companies.

"We are not going to take any sort of economic reprisal because we want to have good relations with all the governments in the world," Lopez Obrador told a news conference.

"We're going to build a wall..."

"We're going to be friendly with Russia."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Let it run out of gas then pillage all their gear.

Speaking of which. I assume we're doing a good job of supplying Ukraine with fuel?

I hope so! I saw all of the pledges from leaders around the world and have to hope that stuff is there or at least incoming soon. They haven’t yet circled the city which is what no one but Putin wants. 

37 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It was an external punitive action that resulted from German aggression against her neighbors.  The treaty so utterly decimated the German economy that it led to the rise of a nationalistic state and the obvious actions that followed.  

We have to be careful with how we treat this.  There are a myriad of professionals that understand this better than any of us, but we have to have a path to redemption for Russia or we risk a similar path.  There has to be the communication that there is a path out of this and a way to remove these sanctions to allow Russia to recover.  

This is less relevant, but it omitted many of the smaller countries that bore some of the greatest brunt of the fighting and redrew so many lines on the map that we are still dealing with the fallout.  

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Fair enough.  I'm saying you back a nuclear power into too tight of a corner, they can and will strike back if they feel that they have no other choices.  There has to be a clear path out of these sanctions and the ability to allow Russia to recover

See the bolded points above.  When you have an opponent in an utterly defeated position, there are only two paths:

1 - Finish them off and kill them.  You ONLY do this with an opponent who you want to eliminate from existence (that is, you will NEVER need anything from them or any relationship with them ever again), AND who cannot do serious damage to you in their death throes.  I've been in the adversary business a LONG time, and I can tell you that sort of opponent is very, very rare.  And to be clear, Russia is not such an opponent.  They are a large country on our globe, interwoven into a global economy, with real human beings inside its borders.  We will have a relationship with them in the future.  And of course, they can destroy all human life on their way down, if they feel cornered enough.  So, this path seems....unwise.

2 - give them an off ramp that allows them to save face and declare SOME sort of victory.  Even if everyone knows it's bullshit, it's about the "claiming victory."  I will also note that this often happens, and can only happen, after regime change.  Again, I've had to advise clients that we will not reach a resolution of this case until we have battered our opponent so much that the people responsible for this shitshow are forced out, new folks come in to clean up the mess, and we give them a chance to take an offramp and claim some sort of victory.  That's not always the scenario, but it's not uncommon, either.

I think the big question here is "regime change in Russia or not."  I do think that regime change should absolutely be our goal here.  But I don't know if we can really achieve it.  And a weakened Putin remaining in power may be more dangerous than the current iteration of Putin remaining in power.

That's the most dangerous pivot point here -- regime change or not.  But either way, the only sane path is option 2.

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Long game coming more into focus?

Smart play.  If you want to cement your role as one of the two polar "superpowers," exerting control over the former superpower is a quick way to get there.  A marginalized Russia equals an ascendant China in a seat of global power.

• Hook 'Em 3

I know it’s been posted upthread but this had me in tears. Slava Ukraini! I hope Zelenskyy makes it out alive. This is his whole speech…SIAP I can’t keep up and work and my heart is with Ukraine right now and the battles they are in and will face! 🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🤘🏼🤘🏼

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Who stated earlier?  Many Russian soldiers can't even read a map

I don’t think anybody was stating that, but it just ties into their incompetence on combined-arms assaults.  They clearly aren’t coordinating with one another.  

And if they aren’t running with GPS, I wonder how well their commanders have control over them.  

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

2 - give them an off ramp that allows them to save face and declare SOME sort of victory.  Even if everyone knows it's bullshit, it's about the "claiming victory."  I will also note that this often happens, and can only happen, after regime change.  Again, I've had to advise clients that we will not reach a resolution of this case until we have battered our opponent so much that the people responsible for this shitshow are forced out, new folks come in to clean up the mess, and we give them a chance to take an offramp and claim some sort of victory.  That's not always the scenario, but it's not uncommon, either.

I think the big question here is "regime change in Russia or not."  I do think that regime change should absolutely be our goal here.  But I don't know if we can really achieve it.  And a weakened Putin remaining in power may be more dangerous than the current iteration of Putin remaining in power.

As long as Russia's internal situation is stable then we're good. We do NOT want a civil war over there with all of those nukes. 

48 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Ah, I see we're still blaming Germany for WWI starting.  I'm am absolutely NOT saying they had a role in it but the failure to prevent war is on all of the players.

I think you misread that.  We are talking about the punitive external measures that helped create a situation in which the Nazi's came into power and contrasting it to the post WW2 scenario.  

Seems to me the Crimean war set the stage for WW1, but that is just another domino in the chain.

11 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I'm betting there are some dark money hedge funds shitting their collective britches right now, because if you have the best auditors in the world hunting down all this money, you know some of this lands in that world.  I wouldn't at all be surprised in the coming months and weeks a lot of the inexplicable venture capital running around is going to be tied to this.

what do you mean?  VCs don't invest in hedge funds unless they're interested in a specific new technology and this rarely ever happens.  VCs and hedge funds are inherently different.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Speaking of Latin/South America 

Yeah, Maduro......I don't think you chose allies very well here.

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

As long as Russia's internal situation is stable then we're good. We do NOT want a civil war over there with all of those nukes. 

Ummmmm.......yeah......have you maybe HEARD about the complete and total economic sanctions of functionally the entire country, and the fact that they're getting pantsed on the global stage as a military power?

Russia is pretty fucking far from stable.....

maxresdefault.jpg

Your options going forward are:

1 -- Putin remains in power, severely weakened, damaged, and angry.

2 -- Putin deposed by oligarchs/leaders who have something to lose, and would like the bleeding to stop.

Option 2 is much preferable. Both options are incredibly dangerous.  As I mentioned a couple of days ago, it is the friction between THOSE two options that means that we're in one of the most dangerous moments in history.  Ukraine is the catalyst, but it's not where the peril is.  The peril is all within a mountain lair in the Urals.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, Maduro......I don't think you chose allies very well here.

Ummmmm.......yeah......have you maybe HEARD about the complete and total economic sanctions of functionally the entire country, and the fact that they're getting pantsed on the global stage as a military power?

Russia is pretty fucking far from stable.....

maxresdefault.jpg

Your options going forward are:

1 -- Putin remains in power, severely weakened, damaged, and angry.

2 -- Putin deposed by oligarchs/leaders who have something to lose, and would like the bleeding to stop.

Option 2 is much preferable. Both options are incredibly dangerous.  As I mentioned a couple of days ago, it is the friction between THOSE two options that means that we're in one of the most dangerous moments in history.  Ukraine is the catalyst, but it's not where the peril is.  The peril is all within a mountain lair in the Urals.

We really need someone from his inner cabinet to walk into one of those meetings with about 8lbs of C-4 strapped to his stomach and pull the ripcord.  

• Hook 'Em 5