Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

21 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Over/under on days left for this guy to live? 

"Halyna" is a woman's name; in this case apparently a sitting city councilmember. Likely she will not win her seat again in a free Ukraine. Also likely, as you say, that she'll never get the chance. Pretty sure she's gone past the "shaved head collaborator" of Vichy France days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

"Halyna" is a woman's name; in this case apparently a sitting city councilmember. Likely she will not win her seat again in a free Ukraine. Also likely, as you say, that she'll never get the chance. Pretty sure she's gone past the "shaved head collaborator" of Vichy France days. 

I thought he was referring to Ivan Fedoriv, the former mayor, who I would presume is already dead, because it seems to me it was the Chechens who got him.  Seems to be one of their mo's.  

38 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Yeah I figured it was for hardware but that is absolutely pathetic. You can’t fight a war with your neighbor for 16 days without needing to go begging for weapons?

I'm guessing the Russia state media's not going to report on Putin asking Syrians, Serbians, etc. for help, as well as not asking China for hardware. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I thought he was referring to Ivan Fedoriv, the former mayor, who I would presume is already dead, because it seems to me it was the Chechens who got him.  Seems to be one of their mo's.  

Ah, fair point - could well be. I'm a beer or three in sitting at a Tucson pub. Yeah, if Kadyrov's thugs got the mayor, not a lot of hope there. 

Still don't think the Quisling has a long life expectancy either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, flatdawgs said:

Ah, fair point - could well be. I'm a beer or three in sitting at a Tucson pub. Yeah, if Kadyrov's thugs got the mayor, not a lot of hope there. 

On at least some level, the Ukrainians have shown mercy to at least some of the invaders, so who knows.  We don't have many confirmed reports of the Russians doing this at all.  Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just nothing to confirm it.  If it's the Chechens, those fucking barbarians, I wouldn't hold out any hope.  My only hope is that if the Chechens are wiped out, it might put a shiver into Putin, he considers those psychos to be great.  

30 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Any chance we have an undetectable stealth sub hanging out in the Black Sea ready to sink everything they have and then slip off to the med and beyond?

No. But the chances some anti ship missiles have made it to Odessa is probably a different story.

26 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

21 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Nah, I was referring to Halyna. Like y'all, I presume the other guy is dead. I'd assume assassinating the puppet govt would be part of the shift to guerilla warfare. Could be wrong.

Unrelated, this is encouraging to see: 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

https://twitter.com/RALee85 Posts a lot of videos of wrecked vehicles.   He’s now posting a lot of data-mined links to death notices/obituaries on Russian websites for specific Russians soldiers who have been killed.  It’s interesting because if more and more dead soldiers pop up in Russian media, it won’t help Putin.  

Also the notices mention if the soldiers are contract or not.  Guess they are more patriotic if they are volunteers.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

WTF they going to do with kids ?  They’re going to kill time on the spot 

they can’t feed and supply their own troops. 

Apparently you aren't aware of just how awful the Chechen group is.  They have no qualms in killing children.  Look up Ramzan Kadyrov on google, this guy is terror to all of humanity.  And yes, they will kill kids.  

29 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Apparently you aren't aware of just how awful the Chechen group is.  They have no qualms in killing children.  Look up Ramzan Kadyrov on google, this guy is terror to all of humanity.  And yes, they will kill kids.  

when we take out the leadership, we need to take out all his troops too. leave no chechen breathing 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Any chance we have an undetectable stealth sub hanging out in the Black Sea ready to sink everything they have and then slip off to the med and beyond?

No.  We know they have 2 kilos and 1 other guy there.  They haven't surfaced in over 50 days. The two big guys on regular patrol usually do 90 day rations but on late they go on 60 just because we like ice cream and shit.  I'm gonna feel like shit because I'm a few days there will be a Russian supply ship and we already see it pulling out.  He's gonna do a stores onload. And those poor submariners are going to get fucked

24 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

No.  We know they have 2 kilos and 1 other guy there.  They haven't surfaced in over 50 days. The two big guys on regular patrol usually do 90 day rations but on late they go on 60 just because we like ice cream and shit.  I'm gonna feel like shit because I'm a few days there will be a Russian supply ship and we already see it pulling out.  He's gonna do a stores onload. And those poor submariners are going to get fucked

Aren’t we prohibited from sending submarines through the straits? I thought only bordering nations could have them in the Black Sea. 

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Aren’t we prohibited from sending submarines through the straits? I thought only bordering nations could have them in the Black Sea. 

You can float them any where you please.but going through the straits of borsprous is a major shipping channel and going through there without declaring it on the 14 mile zone is an act of war.  But also trying to bring a submarine through that channel submerged is fucking dangerous as all hell.  A freightliner can suck you right up 

• Hook 'Em 1

Before the entire war.  We knew they had 3 dudes there.  Those dudes haven't left.  If we tried to do a sneaky link.  We could have gotten there.  But two of our three sneaky links are home.  I can guarantee that because one of my best JOs just took over as the CO.  I was there for that.  Jimmy Carter is the other boo.  He's gone more than I know but unless he crawled in black sea.  We have no submarines there

• Hook 'Em 1

The fraction of Russian dead who are recovered, and wounded, are imposing on Belarus and shocking the citizens who see it. Hard to hide if you're gonna bury them or return the bodies to family.

https://www.ibtimes.com/ural-trucks-bodies-russian-soldiers-arrive-belarus-doctors-forced-sign-nda-3436034

Spoiler

Ural Trucks With Bodies Of Russian Soldiers Arrive In Belarus; Doctors Forced To Sign NDA

By Meera Suresh 

03/14/22 AT 4:33 AM

KEY POINTS

PAZ buses with wounded Russians and Ural trucks with corpses are a common sight in Gomel

Belarusian doctors have been warned against spreading information about Russian fighters 

A resident said a cemetery in the village of Kamenka near Mozyr has been cordoned off

As Russian troops face severe resistance from Ukrainian forces, reports emerge that bodies of Russian soldiers are filling up hospitals in Belarus, a prominent Russian ally.

According to residents of Belarus, corpses of Russians killed in the war are being brought to Belarus in trucks. They are then sent back home by train or plane, reported Radio Free Europe (RFE).

A report, quoting local sources, said the people were taken aback by the number of corpses piled up inside the morgues in Belarusian cities of Mozyr and Gomel. 

FOLLOW US

"There were unrealistically many corpses! The people who were at the Mozyr station just happened to be shocked by the number of corpses loaded on the train. People started shooting video, but the military caught up with them and ordered to remove it," a resident of Mozyr was quoted by Radio Free Europe. 

The resident, who chose to remain anonymous, added that a cemetery in the village of Kamenka near Mozyr was cordoned off, with guards posted there. "Maybe they started burying Russians there. Especially near Kamenka - Bokov, there is an airfield and a large camp of Russians," he added.

The residents of Gomel said that PAZ buses with wounded Russians and Ural trucks with corpses are a common sight in the regional center. "In the Urals, their corpses are taken to the airport, and from there to Russia," a Gomel resident told the news outlet. Uralskiy Avtomobilnyi Zavod or the Ural is a major Russian manufacturer of off-road trucks.

Pope Says Russia Has No Strategic Reason To Massacre Ukraine

The war has also left the doctors in Belarus in a fix, said the report. Almost all doctors are forced to treat Russian soldiers.

Not only are they forced to sign Non-Disclosure Agreements, but the doctors have also been threatened with job losses if caught spreading information about Russian soldiers.

"Doctors do not tell anything - they took a non-disclosure agreement, they threaten not to extend the contract. There are not enough surgeons. Earlier, the corpses were transported by ambulances and loaded on Russian trains. After someone made a video about it and it went on the Internet, the bodies were loaded at night so as not to attract attention," a resident was quoted by Radio Svaboda, a sister organization of RFE. 

Recently, a video showing the unloading of wounded or dead Russian servicemen at the Mozyr railway station had gone viral. 

Appeals are also doing rounds on Belarusian social media seeking help for injured Russians. Many Instagram accounts urge Mozyr residents to bring them diapers, wet wipes, soap, shampoo, water, cookies, clothes, etc., to the hospital, the report added. 

Service members of pro-Russian troops walk near a residential building which was heavily damaged during Ukraine-Russia conflict in Volnovakha

Service members of pro-Russian troops in uniforms without insignia walk near a residential building which was heavily damaged during Ukraine-Russia conflict in the separatist-controlled town of Volnovakha in the Donetsk region, Ukraine March 11, 2022. Photo: Reuters / ALEXANDER ERMOCHENKO

© Copyright IBTimes 2022. All rights reserved.

Edited by KYHorn

This is an important article on how we got here and a stubborn persistence to dismiss Central and Eastern European warnings— the people who know Russia best. It also, fairly, illuminates where these nations undermined their case.

https://www.politico.eu/article/western-europe-listen-to-the-baltic-countries-that-know-russia-best-ukraine-poland/

“The Western Europeans pooh-poohed and patronized us for these last 30 years,” said Radosław Sikorski, a former Polish foreign minister. “For years [they] were patronizing us about our attitude: ‘Oh, you know, you over-nervous, over-sensitive Central Europeans are prejudiced against Russia.'”

The Easterners say they ran into a brick wall when they made pleas for increased NATO deployments, drew attention to cyberattacks and called on Berlin not to let the EU be held hostage by giant pipelines pumping gas straight into Germany. The outspoken, pugnacious Sikorski, then defense minister, triggered outrage in thin-skinned diplomatic circles in 2006 when he dared compare the Russia-to-Germany Nord Stream gas pipeline project, which bypassed Poland, to the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact of 1939 that divided Poland between the Nazis and Soviets.

After Sikorski’s time in government, the messaging on Moscow out of Warsaw has been much muddier since the nationalist Law and Justice party took power in 2015. It won thanks to an untrue conspiracy theory that Russia was responsible for a 2010 plane crash that killed Poland’s president and many top officials. The Polish government spent its energy painting Germany as an enemy, engaging in warfare with the EU over rule of law, launching attacks on LGBTQ+ people and palling around with right-wing Putin allies like Italy’s Matteo Salvini and France’s Marine Le Pen.

In April, the Baltic country’s computer servers were hit by a massive wave of DDoS (distributed denial-of-service) attacks on public and private websites alike, essentially shutting the whole country down digitally for weeks. Nearly a million “zombie” computers were deployed, according to the then-defense minister, shortly after a plan to relocate a Soviet “Monument to the Liberators of Estonia” out of Tallinn’s city center. 

While the Russian government repeatedly denied involvement in the cyberattacks, Estonia was unconvinced. But what was even more shocking to officials in Tallinn was yet to follow, when they presented their case to fellow NATO nations.

“We were told by some of our NATO allies in Europe that, ‘Oh you don’t know what you’re talking about, you’re just being Russophobic’ — and this at a time by people who wouldn’t know a computer from a toaster while we were already then part of the most digitally advanced [country] in Europe,” said Toomas Hendrik Ilves, who was the Estonian president at the time of the cyberattacks. He was born in Sweden after his parents fled the Soviet occupation. Eventually, NATO conducted an internal assessment 

For linguistic and historical reasons — as well as pure fear of the danger across the border — the Baltic states often have excellent intelligence and analysis of Russian activity, but could find themselves roundly ignored. Rihard Kols, chair of the Latvian parliament’s foreign affairs committee, said Riga was involved in warning NATO about Russian ambitions before its invasion of Georgia in 2008. 

But Kols said he regularly found it difficult to convince his counterparts in the West of how dangerous Putin could be. 

“In general, the Baltics have been warning our colleagues in the West to be vigilant and not fall into naïveté based on wishful thinking. The constant readiness to restart relations with Russia, regardless of what its breaches have been, is what got us to this day, unfortunately,” he said.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Pods said:

Looks like the majority of the Ukraine rail system is still functional and operating. Amazing how they've been able to maintain so much of their infrastructure despite the Russian bombardment. 

What a huge indictment of the Russian inability to establish any level of air superiority AND their lack of precision guided munitions. We would have destroyed major rail bridges with in the first 72 hours. 

Also, the amount of supplies we must be sending to Odessa in advance of an amphibious assault has got to be substantial.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Can y’all see these articles? I thought that if a subscriber shared a WSJ article then it wouldn’t be behind a paywall:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/inside-one-of-russias-deadliest-assaults-on-a-ukraine-city-they-want-to-terrorize-11647204498

Warning: it’s rough.

““Your first re­ac­tion is shock. You are stunned. Your mind re­jects it,” Ms. Zh­danova said. “You see it with your eyes, like with a cam­era, like you are not a hu­man be­ing. Then af­ter five or 10 min­utes, you re­al­ize how ter­ri­fy­ing it is and start trem­bling, shak­ing, cry­ing.””

The West needs to negotiate an end to this now.

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

There is no negotiation with Putin.  He is no longer a rational actor.

If you're saying, "The West needs to convince Ukraine to capitulate entirely" then not only do I not agree, but there's no chance of it happening.  Every witnessed or published atrocity just hardens their resolve. 

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The Russians do not do anything in good faith, especially negotiate. Ukraine and the West can try to negotiate, but it won't make a shit until Putin is dead. This isn't about NATO, this isn't about sanctions, this is solely about a small and petty man's wounded pride. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

If you're saying, "The West needs to convince Ukraine to capitulate entirely" then not only do I not agree, but there's no chance of it happening.  Every witnessed or published atrocity just hardens their resolve. 

My (very) uneducated opinion:  The west has shut him in, he can only turn east.  This makes China the only actor that can bring this to an end.  We should be quietly negotiating with the Chinese to get this reigned in

I also think China is not in a position to have the rest of the world turn against them.  They talk tough, but they need foreign investments and manufacturing to keep their economy running.  I also think their economy is doing much worse than they let on, so to do this now would be foolish.  Even before the pandemic companies were looking to extradite themselves from China.  

Keep in mind also that while they have a ton of resources, oil is not among them (in mass).  If anything, would a weakened Russia be an opportunity for China to take oil fields in the east?  Or ports?  Not inconceivable.

29 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Can y’all see these articles? I thought that if a subscriber shared a WSJ article then it wouldn’t be behind a paywall:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/inside-one-of-russias-deadliest-assaults-on-a-ukraine-city-they-want-to-terrorize-11647204498

Warning: it’s rough.

““Your first re­ac­tion is shock. You are stunned. Your mind re­jects it,” Ms. Zh­danova said. “You see it with your eyes, like with a cam­era, like you are not a hu­man be­ing. Then af­ter five or 10 min­utes, you re­al­ize how ter­ri­fy­ing it is and start trem­bling, shak­ing, cry­ing.””

Nope.  Because....

26 minutes ago, utee94 said:

20 minutes ago, Pods said:

The Russians do not do anything in good faith, especially negotiate. Ukraine and the West can try to negotiate, but it won't make a shit until Putin is dead. This isn't about NATO, this isn't about sanctions, this is solely about a small and petty man's wounded pride. 

20 minutes ago, hersh95 said:

My (very) uneducated opinion:  The west has shut him in, he can only turn east.  This makes China the only actor that can bring this to an end.  We should be quietly negotiating with the Chinese to get this reigned in

....these.

Right now, the only negotiation Putin will accept is functionally "surrender to me."  Nope.  Just like England couldn't meaningfully "negotiate" with Hitler during the Blitz.  When dealing with an opponent in this position, there is only one path -- endure.  Endure against inhuman action, and staggering costs.  Endure.  Survive.  Fight and die with the hope of victory, or live as slaves.  It's not a hard choice, and the ukrainian people have made the right one....even knowing how horrific the costs will be.

There's a reason for the position of "we don't negotiate with terrorists."  Especially in a case like this, because when you're done, you've given up something precious, and you are still living at the end of the barrel of a loaded gun held by a psychopath.  Nope.  Time to fight.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I also think China is not in a position to have the rest of the world turn against them.  They talk tough, but they need foreign investments and manufacturing to keep their economy running.  I also think their economy is doing much worse than they let on, so to do this now would be foolish.  Even before the pandemic companies were looking to extradite themselves from China.  

Keep in mind also that while they have a ton of resources, oil is not among them (in mass).  If anything, would a weakened Russia be an opportunity for China to take oil fields in the east?  Or ports?  Not inconceivable.

Doesn’t China have most of the lithium reserves?  Might be a strong card to have until the world develops past it for energy storage. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Doesn’t China have most of the lithium reserves?  Might be a strong card to have until the world develops past it for energy storage. 

They have a ton of crap.  But they need capital investments and oil.  It's poker with much higher stakes.

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

My hypothesis is that China -- being China, and doing the China thing -- sees real opportunity here.  Let Russia further damage/weaken itself.  Then, swoop in to "save the day."  Multiple advantages there:

1 -- renewed "credibility" with the West.  

2 -- with a weakened Russia, China makes a case for this now being a bi-polar world, and they occupy one of those poles.  The old paradigm of the West v. Russia as the two major powers is dead, China fills Russia's spot.

3 -- China has an opportunity to insert itself and its business interests into a shattered, but rebuilding Russian economy.  See, e.g., how China has asserted economic power in developing countries in Africa and whatnot.  Now they can do that in Russia, and gain wealth and leverage there.

It's a winning play for China, and a good long-term play.  I think there's a good chance it's the play they're making.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1