Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My hypothesis is that China -- being China, and doing the China thing -- sees real opportunity here.  Let Russia further damage/weaken itself.  Then, swoop in to "save the day."  Multiple advantages there:

1 -- renewed "credibility" with the West.  

2 -- with a weakened Russia, China makes a case for this now being a bi-polar world, and they occupy one of those poles.  The old paradigm of the West v. Russia as the two major powers is dead, China fills Russia's spot.

3 -- China has an opportunity to insert itself and its business interests into a shattered, but rebuilding Russian economy.  See, e.g., how China has asserted economic power in developing countries in Africa and whatnot.  Now they can do that in Russia, and gain wealth and leverage there.

It's a winning play for China, and a good long-term play.  I think there's a good chance it's the play they're making.

Spot on. As to #2, they will eventually also try to position themselves as the moderator between Russia and the West. By assuming an authority/"mediator" role, they solidify taking Russia's seat at the big boy table. 

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My hypothesis is that China -- being China, and doing the China thing -- sees real opportunity here.  Let Russia further damage/weaken itself.  Then, swoop in to "save the day."  Multiple advantages there:

2 -- with a weakened Russia, China makes a case for this now being a bi-polar world, and they occupy one of those poles.  The old paradigm of the West v. Russia as the two major powers is dead, China fills Russia's spot.

3 -- China has an opportunity to insert itself and its business interests into a shattered, but rebuilding Russian economy.  See, e.g., how China has asserted economic power in developing countries in Africa and whatnot.  Now they can do that in Russia, and gain wealth and leverage there.

It's a winning play for China, and a good long-term play.  I think there's a good chance it's the play they're making.

That was posited earlier, them playing the "white knight".  Very plausible.  Or they can go full Leroy Jenkins and start snatching up territory, with a canyon is possibilities between the two.  

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Russia as a Chinese vassal state seems bad for everyone (except China)

7 minutes ago, dimyh said:

Pimp my ride Ukrainian edition. Just needs a backseat Bert for maximum trolling. They see me riding dirty...

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

30mm doing work!  "Commandeered" Russian BTR-4 giving a little something back.  As they are skipping rounds off the ground, has to be Russian soldiers hiding behind it (in the video)

So.....I'm starting to understand why the Ukrainian approach has so resonated with me.  At heart, they're just rednecks who like riding around and shooting shit/blowing shit up.  Damn, they're my brothers from another mother.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So.....I'm starting to understand why the Ukrainian approach has so resonated with me.  At heart, they're just rednecks who like riding around and shooting shit/blowing shit up.  Damn, they're my brothers from another mother.

I mean, the tractor pull is becoming the most iconic image of this war.

• Hook 'Em 6

35 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Doesn’t China have most of the lithium reserves?  Might be a strong card to have until the world develops past it for energy storage. 

No, Chile has the most. And we actually have significantly more Lithium than China, we just haven't developed any of it. China does control like half of the refining capacity. 

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Whomever is filming that has a pair on them.  Pretty damn close.  I think the 72 has an autoloader, hence the pretty high rate of fire for a tank.

There are like 20 seconds between each shot. Doesn't scream autoloader to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

No, Chile has the most. And we actually have significantly more Lithium than China, we just haven't developed any of it. China does control like half of the refining capacity. 

There are like 20 seconds between each shot. Doesn't scream autoloader to me. 

Or you could just google T72 autoloader.....

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

As stated by others, this probably isn't about frontline troops and vehicles.  Probably more about intel/communications items, drones, etc.  Not direct action weapons or active participation.  

Yeah, the Chinese equipment is now more advanced than the Russian stuff.  They won’t be sharing their top line tech.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Or you could just google T72 autoloader.....

I'm not saying it doesn't have one, I'm saying the rate of fire in that clip was well within the ability of crewed loading. 

Speaking of, cool animation of the autoloader:

main-qimg-48406b72e99a7a76430ccd1af354efd3

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t know. Russia has a fast declining and aging population and only one notable industry.

It’s going to be a welfare state within a generation.

Russia is huge.  And most of it is f'n EMPTY.  Imagine all of the unexplored and unexploited rare earth minerals just waiting to be found and mined, with zero fucks given about the environmental consequences.  That's exactly what China is imagining.

Joint venture China-Russo Mining MegaOutfit Inc., coming soon to a tundra near you!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Whomever is filming that has a pair on them.  Pretty damn close.  I think the 72 has an autoloader, hence the pretty high rate of fire for a tank.

Humans reload faster than autos. Source: dad and FIL were both tankers. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just now, CooterBrown said:

I don’t know. Russia has a fast declining and aging population and only one notable industry.

With a fuck ton of natural resources. The Chinese have already locked up a lot of resources in Africa and Asia. Russia as a Chinese vassal would be no bueno in all sorts of ways. 

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

30mm doing work!  "Commandeered" Russian BTR-4 giving a little something back.  As they are skipping rounds off the ground, has to be Russian soldiers hiding behind it (in the video)

I like how he gives them one more FUCK YOU shot even after the tank explodes.  You can feel the hate coming through the gunners hands as he gives them the what for.  MOAR!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm not saying it doesn't have one, I'm saying the rate of fire in that clip was well within the ability of crewed loading. 

Speaking of, cool animation of the autoloader:

main-qimg-48406b72e99a7a76430ccd1af354efd3

They don't have the crew to load.....hence the autoloader, that takes the place of the missing crew designated to load the gun.  They operate with a crew of 3.  Driver, gunner, and TC.  That means one of them has to disengage and try to manually load the gun.....for no reason whatsoever.

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ukrainian freedom fighters' Texas vacation tours are gonna be popular. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I like how he gives them one more FUCK YOU shot even after the tank explodes.  You can feel the hate coming through the gunners hands as he gives them the what for.  MOAR!

I think it also says a lot about how well supplied the Ukrainians are. Absolutely no qualms about expending more ordinance than necessary . 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

China, though much larger obviously, has a similar demographic timebomb coming up.  China is turning into the most rapidly aging population in the world.

• Hook 'Em 2

Catching up here.

1) From a negotiation standpoint, having China in there is a good thing.  Russia needs an out and a nudge.  China can do both.  (Putin will hafta be deposed of course.)

2) Our kickass Abrams (and I think most allied tanks) use an 4th crewmember to load.  Well-trained, they can load faster than an auto.  And we can store our ammo external, not in a ring around the crew.  Bad juju when you get hit.

2a) Besides the saving of one conscript to feed, Russian autoloader tanks can be smaller and lower profile.

3) The US has plenty of lithium, but we haven't figured out how to mine it.  And mine it without, you know, destroying the environment. There are efforts to figure that out, but it'll take time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Humans reload faster than autos. Source: dad and FIL were both tankers. 

Not speed, it's a weight savings as the turrets can be much smaller and have a lower profile.  You can ask your FIL, but my BF was an Abrams driver and his take was the reliability issues with them?  Not sure if that is still the case?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

2) Our kickass Abrams (and I think most allied tanks) use an 4th crewmember to load.  Well-trained, they can load faster than an auto.  And we can store our ammo external, not in a ring around the crew.  Bad juju when you get hit.

Why you always see Russian tanks with the turret popped off.  Goes up like a Christmas tree when ignited.  

India in a tight spot.  As mentioned, they get essentially ALL their military hardware, parts, & training from Russia.  They also need Russian oil.

India considers buying Rusky oil

India is considering taking up a Russian offer to buy its crude oil and other commodities at discounted prices with payment via a rupee-rouble transaction,

India, which imports 80% of its oil needs, usually buys about 2% to 3% of its supplies from Russia. But with oil prices up 40% so far this year, the government is looking at increasing this if it can help reduce its rising energy bill.

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

More dead Russian soldiers=more sunflowers...win/win. 

I learned from my anthropology/archeology kid that the body releases toxic enzymes upon death and that forensic investigators look for dead spots amidst green areas to investigate for shallow buried bodies.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Nice hardware! 

lol Thanks.  Good genetics, I guess?

Seriously, they are procuring so many Russian vehicles, there will be a time when they can start making significant offensive maneuvers.  If the toys get broke, oh well.  They didn't expend the capital to buy them in the first place.  This compounds the Russian pain, who has to be suffering immensely in terms of replacement costs, etc and is seeing their own equipment destroyed at a faster rate by equipment already lost in battle.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

Do they have enough well-trained soldiers to do that?  I honestly don't know.  Certainly the Redneck Militia will gladly man them, but going on the offensive might not work.

Maybe minor, but coordinated strikes on supply vehicles?  I'd think like we are seeing the pilots, any training they have is on Russian tech.  So if they are trained, it's on these vehicles.  Fingers crossed

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

russia becomes a de facto Chinese state 

• Hook 'Em 1