Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

lol Thanks.  Good genetics, I guess?

Seriously, they are procuring so many Russian vehicles, there will be a time when they can start making significant offensive maneuvers.  If the toys get broke, oh well.  They didn't expend the capital to buy them in the first place.  This compounds the Russian pain, who has to be suffering immensely in terms of replacement costs, etc and is seeing their own equipment destroyed at a faster rate by equipment already lost in battle.  

Kinda hope they are permanently disabling more than they are keeping. I doubt they have the trained manpower to utilize everything they are capturing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

so with shenzen going into lockdown is there an opportunity to do some vax diplomacy with china?

Just about to post this.  Or their economy in much worse shape that we thought.  Could be any number of things.  A distraction from their economy dipping, and a precursor to Taiwan?

5 minutes ago, Constant said:

Kinda hope they are permanently disabling more than they are keeping. I doubt they have the trained manpower to utilize everything they are capturing. 

This gives me hope.  There were pre invasion numbers.  Few thousands tanks and quite a few armored vehicles, meaning they might have the manpower to occupy and use captured Russian tech.  

image.thumb.png.e994c0466dbbcf6529df3a7bb34398f3.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elfenix said:

so with shenzen going into lockdown is there an opportunity to do some vax diplomacy with china?

“Listen, we know you’ve been trying to rip off our mRNA vaccines with little success.  What if we gave you a hand with that in exchange for stepping back from the Russians?”

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pods said:

Looks like the majority of the Ukraine rail system is still functional and operating. Amazing how they've been able to maintain so much of their infrastructure despite the Russian bombardment. 

From my news feeds, Russia didn't initially appear to target transportation: roads, bridges, rail, etc.  Which makes sense if they expected a quick win and/or they were going to need that transportation in place to facilitate their movement on Day 1 and during an occupation.

From a humanitarian standpoint, the Russian (potential) mistake is saving lives. Many people have options to escape from the Russian invading forces.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From my news feeds, Russia didn't initially appear to target transportation: roads, bridges, rail, etc.  Which makes sense if they expected a quick win and/or they were going to need that transportation in place to facilitate their movement on Day 1 and during an occupation.

From a humanitarian standpoint, the Russian (potential) mistake is saving lives. Many people have options to escape from the Russian invading forces.

Russia is heavily dependent on the current rail system.  So much in fact, you'd think the UA would be targeting it in captured territory.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s also that the Russian cruise missiles and PGM suck.  Taking out a train line probably involves and old school dumb bomb run, which is suicide in contested air space.

Look at the losses we took in Vietnam trying to do that shit.  And that was 3-4 generations back of SAM.

Edited by Bateshorn

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Certainly Moderna, J&J, et. al., are willing to sell vaccines to China.  So are they really refusing to buy then (in lieu of a domestic source) just for ego?  Wow.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I know, no one likes my take. I’m ok with that. But did the WSJ link work? I don’t want to bother sharing any more if they are behind paywalls. 

It’s not that we don’t like your take. It’s that you are fundamentally wrong and just refuse to figure that out. If the West capitulates on Ukraine, then more bloodshed is coming from the next one to several countries he invades. Your position is weak and indefensible. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

then more bloodshed is coming from the next one to several countries he invades.

With what men and material?  He's chewing up his forces in Ukraine at a pace that is unsustainable for future incursions if he also wants to have units positioned around the border as they are today

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s not that we don’t like your take. It’s that you are fundamentally wrong and just refuse to figure that out. If the West capitulates on Ukraine, then more bloodshed is coming from the next one to several countries he invades. Your position is weak and indefensible. 

It also isn't up to the west whether Ukraine keeps in fighting or not. He wants us to surrender for them, which is fucking terrible. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

Certainly Moderna, J&J, et. al., are willing to sell vaccines to China.  So are they really refusing to buy then (in lieu of a domestic source) just for ego?  Wow.

I mean, yes.  Pretty much.  The Chinese are trying to replicate our technology,  but with little success.  

One of the dirty secrets about Chinese S&T is they are great at churning out tons of book smart scientists and copying/stealing technology, but they can’t innovate their way out of wet paper sack. The memorize and know teaching system doesn’t leave much room for creativity or innovation. 

As flawed as our higher Ed academic system is, there is no way somebody with an unconventional mind like Katie Kariko could have been given space to work and innovate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Tractors 🚜 :) 

I looked back a few pages and didn’t see this posted. My apologies if a duplicate. 

I love listening to the laughter of the person filming the video…at the end of the video. It won’t let me just post the video with the tractor tweet. Ukrainian farmers would make kickass repo/tow truck drivers over here…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

china's vax don't work all that well.  my friend in china said that they've just shut down a mall and training schools in his city

We've known that for years now - but now why, on the eve of Russian/Chinese talks do you shut down tens of millions?  I hope it's just ineffective vaxes and not a precursor to something more sinister

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Can't find the post that was made recently about extracting lithium here in the US but met a guy at BWW and we were talking about it. It is what he his doing out here in California,

image.thumb.png.86bcaad1470852300f468c7e9d4a8c93.png

Part of the issue is the two biggest producers are Australia and Chile, who are free trade partners.  It’s just hard to justify investing in domestic Lithium production when you can get it cheaper from allies. 

It’s a similar ish problem with Rare Earth’s/Lanthanides : the Chinese keep global prices artificially low and have all the processing capability.  We have lots of Lanthanides, It’s just not economically feasible to develop the extraction and processing unless you are willing to apply government subsidies.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Part of the issue is the two biggest producers are Australia and Chile, who are free trade partners.  It’s just hard to justify investing in domestic Lithium production when you can get it cheaper from allies. 

True, but is there a thought that independence is more important than cheaper prices?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I know, no one likes my take. I’m ok with that. But did the WSJ link work? I don’t want to bother sharing any more if they are behind paywalls. 

Anyone else find it odd that a guy supposedly from GaTech doesn't know paywall work arounds or other ways of posting the article here?  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

True, but is there a thought that independence is more important than cheaper prices?

Without going CR, that’s why when people talk about permitting reform, they totally miss the mark.  What you really want, if you want independence, is industry subsidies, to protect against supply shocks drying up investment capital.  Like we do for commodity grains.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

It’s a similar ish problem with Rare Earth’s/Lanthanides : the Chinese keep global prices artificially low and have all the processing capability.  We have lots of Lanthanides, It’s just not economically feasible to develop the extraction and processing unless you are willing to apply government subsidies.

https://www.thinkgeoenergy.com/ctr-kicks-off-drilling-at-salton-sea-geothermal-lithium-project/

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This, diversity, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Like the article I posted and what I talked to that guy about at BWW. Lithium wasn't the only thing they were getting out of it. More bang for the buck. From my understanding the lithium was almost supplemental to the project. Designed into the project but I'm sure it's what puts it into profitability. Just my thoughts anyway.

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

No, but it is up to the west to keep them supplied with enough modern tech to allow them to be effective.  

If Ukraine can keep up the fight, the West is seeing some of the greatest returns ever on military spending at the moment. We're learning more about Russians capabilities daily and it's diminishing by the day.  I don't want to see Ukraine destroyed but if Russia wants to exchange their billions for our millions, so be it.

I'm not worried about China joining the fight because why would they want their military tech exposed to the world, including the theft of it. I could be wrong about that though.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

My guess is China knows pretty much the entire world is against Russia here and they don't want to end up on the wrong side of the negotiating table. I really think Russia is in a no win situation.

Russia doesn't have endless material.  They can't keep throwing tech at Ukraine with little ability to replace it.  If anything, China could be eyeing Russia as a predator eyes a wounded animal.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Russia doesn't have endless material.  They can't keep throwing tech at Ukraine with little ability to replace it.  If anything, China could be eyeing Russia as a predator eyes a wounded animal.  

China invading Amur would hurt my American brain so much lol.

Yay...wait...no...well...maybe.

• Hook 'Em 1

There are reports that a Russian reconnaissance drone for data collection "Oplan-10" crashed in Romania. We are waiting for official confirmation. 🇷🇴

Ukrainian air defense forces hit a Su-25 attack aircraft of the Russian military. The pilot landed the plane, but judging by the damage, it is likely that the Su-25 will be decommissioned. (screenshot from the Russian media, number unknown)

Trophy Russian IMR-2

In fire, smoke and destruction. This is what Mariupol looks like from the sky today. It is from this spring, open to the enemy sky, air bombs fly around the clock to the once beautiful seaside town.

lol, Go get 'em Elon!

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

No, but it is up to the west to keep them supplied with enough modern tech to allow them to be effective.  

Yes. We should keep doing that. Not doing it doesn't mean Ukraine stops fighting. It just means they die more quickly. 

3 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Pretty incredible.

^^^^The crazy part is thats "only" a 30mm cannon.   It completely fucked up that BMP

kinda surprised they had the balls to take so many shots at the T72.  other than the treads the 30mm cannon isnt gonna penetrate that armor unless they manage to hit the same exact spot like 20 times.  and the T72 rounds would shred their vehicle.

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

I like how he gives them one more FUCK YOU shot even after the tank *APC (BMP or BRM) explodes.  

FIFY..... you sound like the reporters who think anything with any armor and a gun is a tank. 

On 3/13/2022 at 9:32 AM, Junior Miller said:

Holy shit. I don't know if you're American but look at what we've done, what we've "failed to stop", and where we're headed. I know I personally hate it so much but could do nothing to change any of it. So I've moved to New Zealand for 7 months out of the year and come back to Texas for December through April to tend to in person work and be with family. 

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/18343-new-years-greetings-from-a-much-better-place/

I'm surprised you are still here posting.

• Haha 5

The Slovaks expelled two Russian diplomats and arrested several Slovaks for espionage today. Later, the Defense Minister announced that he expects at attack on Uzhgorod.  This is literally across the road from NATO territory.  Think cruise missile attack on Nuevo Laredo.  Germans and Dutch are bringing Patriots and the Alliance is deploying a battle group. 

“Slovak Defense Minister Jaroslav Nad expects a Russian attack on the Slovak border in coming days. Specifically on the Uzhgorod International Airport, which is located just under two kilometers from Slovakia, NATO territory.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

46 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Anyone else find it odd that a guy supposedly from GaTech doesn't know paywall work arounds or other ways of posting the article here?  

I was a Management major. 

But I think I figured it out. Can’t do it from the app though.