Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Dumb question but where is China on this issue?  I know they love Russian oil but it would be really great if they were on the good guys side on this one.  The EU, US, and China would be a pretty strong alliance against Russia on this. 

China basically said not my clown not my circus.  

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Dumb question but where is China on this issue?  I know they love Russian oil but it would be really great if they were on the good guys side on this one.  The EU, US, and China would be a pretty strong alliance against Russia on this. 

My prediction is they will sit this out, as usual, and let their frenemies squabble amongst themselves.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

I don’t trust Putin but he isn’t invading multiple NATO countries to get to Germany of all places.

Keep turning up the pressure on Putin. It is the right approach for now.

Also, it is hard to take your predictions seriously after you spent a week repeatedly saying Ukraine should consider blowing up Chernobyl.

I agree with this.

If anything, I'd bet the more likely scenario would be the interesting bit of speculation that was brought up by a correspondent on MSNBC. The Baltics and Poland have a justifiable concern about Putin getting ideas about bridging the gap between Kaliningrad and Belarus. This is obviously extremely unlikely, but slightly more likely that going straight for Germany.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No Shit. It’s a war of total conquest. And it is not the endgame. It’s the opening move.
Pretend that more European states will not be in flames at your peril.
A weak and destabilized and damaged Europe is the Russian dream. Russia cannot reach their level, so its only play is to bring everyone else down to theirs. A European war causing economic collapse and a flow so recession and a spreading fire? Putin’s dreams come true.

SHUT UP

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Putin doesn't want Germany. He wants to reform the landmass of the USSR. Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are NATO members.

You do the math.

It’s one thing to win a war, but it’s another thing to occupy. I think Russia is going to get a rude awakening when they see an asymmetric war during occupation, particularly if Europe and the US is united to put their economy in a vice grip. You’d think their experience in Chechnya would have drilled that into their heads. 

Definitely a worry though. Did the US send more troops to Lithuania and Poland last week?

• Hook 'Em 5

Europe in disarray is a win for Putin -- him at the crosshairs of a Europe/West filled with resolve against him for starting all this shit will be an enormous L, an early 2000s Mack pantsing in Dallas. 

You have no idea how far he is willing to go. All of it is on the table. All of it. Yes, all of it. Imagine the worst outcome. Then make it worse. That’s on the table.
Failing to consider the horrific is a recipe for making it come true.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You have no idea how far he is willing to go. All of it is on the table. All of it. Yes, all of it. Imagine the worst outcome. Then make it worse. That’s on the table.
Failing to consider the horrific is a recipe for making it come true.

He's not going to attack a NATO country though.

Shit, you haven't even waited to see if he can truly pacify Ukraine.

You're acting like just because we curb-stomped New Mexico Women's Teaching College for the Blind in September, that we are going to curb-stomp Alabama in January.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Any insight from these folks as to where this thing is going? In my gut I'm not feeling like this is just about Ukraine.

He wants Russia to go back to being the USSR, which means getting back all the countries that broke off.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

This is not going to be a war of extermination. If Putin didn't exterminate the Chechens he damn sure isn't going to eradicate the Ukrainians. This is not a war based on ethnic hatred or even much of one of ethnic difference. Slaughtering Ukrainians willy nilly won't play well in Russia, much less the wider world. Millions of Ukrainians live in Russia. There are probably millions of families of mixed background. Their differences do not rise to the level of Serbs vs Croats or even the Irish vs the Scots-Irish, much less some easily "othered" group like Jews or Gypsies. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

You're acting like just because we curb-stomped New Mexico Women's Teaching College for the Blind in September, that we are going to curb-stomp Alabama in January.

He’s not going to attack Germany but the former Soviet states that are NATO members is certainly possible 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

You're telling me that if the West comes back at Putin with some limpdick league of nations level response, he's not gonna go ahead and test article 5?

Because really, who wants to start a world war over little ol Lithuania anyways?

• Hook 'Em 1

This is not going to be a war of extermination. If Putin didn't exterminate the Chechens he damn sure isn't going to eradicate the Ukrainians. This is not a war based on ethnic hatred or even much of one of ethnic difference. Slaughtering Ukrainians willy nilly won't play well in Russia, much less the wider world. Millions of Ukrainians live in Russia. There are probably millions of families of mixed background. There differences do not rise to the level of Serbs vs Croats or even the Irish vs the Scots-Irish, much less some easily "othered" group like Jews or Gypsies. 

Extermination? Probably not. Subjugation and murder of the “disloyal?” By Russians, In Ukraine? When has THAT ever happened before?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Any insight from these folks as to where this thing is going? In my gut I'm not feeling like this is just about Ukraine.

Look at the non-blue countries that border Russia.  That's it.  That's all he can do.   Georgia would be next. 

He's not going to touch the blue/NATO countries (and put an * next to Finland and Sweden).

20220108_FBM994.png

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Putin doesn't want Germany. He wants to reform the landmass of the USSR. Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are NATO members.

You do the math.

He also wants NATO dead and will do whatever he can to kill it. He isn’t attacking Germany but he might send militias to very unpredictable spots. If I were in Finland I’d keep an eye open, for instance. 

Putin is a madman. He’s crazy. The faster the Russian economy collapses and the oligarchs start losing real, significant money the safer Europe is. When Putin loses them, he’s as dead as Tsar Nicholas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This is not going to be a war of extermination. If Putin didn't exterminate the Chechens he damn sure isn't going to eradicate the Ukrainians. This is not a war based on ethnic hatred or even much of one of ethnic difference. Slaughtering Ukrainians willy nilly won't play well in Russia, much less the wider world. Millions of Ukrainians live in Russia. There are probably millions of families of mixed background. There differences do not rise to the level of Serbs vs Croats or even the Irish vs the Scots-Irish, much less some easily "othered" group like Jews or Gypsies. 

Yep.  He is already short on people.  He needs the people of Ukraine just not the govt.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The optimistic side of me thinks that's the Achilles heel. Going full genocidal psychopath is the only way an occupying force of 200,000 can subjugate a population of 40 million. There are just too many familial ties between the Ukrainian and Russian peoples for that to happen. I have to think that a well equipped resistance can mess up his plans otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, bolverk said:

The optimistic side of me thinks that's the Achilles heel. Going full genocidal psychopath is the only way an occupying force of 200,000 can subjugate a population of 40 million. There are just too many familial ties between the Ukrainian and Russian peoples for that to happen. I have to think that a well equipped resistance can mess up his plans otherwise.

It's all surgical so far.  Resistances can't exist if they don't have leaders.  CIA has already leaked the list of leaders that Putin intends to assassinate.  

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Extermination? Probably not. Subjugation and murder of the “disloyal?” By Russians, In Ukraine? When has THAT ever happened before?

At the same time a tyrant was doing it to his own people, for one, and another when a bunch of them cast their lot with the Nazis. Which for them was somewhat understandable, if not what they did after they got in the Wehrmacht. I read about a Nazi cossack unit that even disgusted the Nazis with their atrocities in Yugoslavia, some to the extent that they were court-martialed by the Nazis and put to death.

Let that sink in.

That's how Putin does attempt to other them but it's only got limited appeal and reach. He's saying he wants to de-Nazify Ukraine and he won't be given an unlimited timetable to do it as the bodybags continue rolling in.

11 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This is not going to be a war of extermination. If Putin didn't exterminate the Chechens he damn sure isn't going to eradicate the Ukrainians. This is not a war based on ethnic hatred or even much of one of ethnic difference. Slaughtering Ukrainians willy nilly won't play well in Russia, much less the wider world. Millions of Ukrainians live in Russia. There are probably millions of families of mixed background. Their differences do not rise to the level of Serbs vs Croats or even the Irish vs the Scots-Irish, much less some easily "othered" group like Jews or Gypsies. 

My fear is this opens up extensive militia warfare - a good chunk of Ukrainians want to be back under Russian control.  Same for many former Soviet nations. Things are not better than they were under Moscow control. Putin sees this and with it sees an opportunity with a broken west to retake those lands. 

Militias under Putin control torpedoed a civilian jetliner, they don’t give a fuck who they kill. 

This was will be messy - Russians fighting Russians with no knowledge of who is with what group. My 2nd major was Russian history and my heart breaks. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

At the same time a tyrant was doing it to his own people, for one, and another when a bunch of them cast their lot with the Nazis. Which for them was somewhat understandable, if not what they did after they got in the Wehrmacht. I read about a Nazi cossack unit that even disgusted the Nazis with their atrocities in Yugoslavia, some to the extent that they were court-martialed by the Nazis and put to death.

Let that sink in.

That's how Putin does attempt to other them but it's only got limited appeal and reach. He's saying he wants to de-Nazify Ukraine and he won't be given an unlimited timetable to do it as the bodybags continue rolling in.

It was a few pages back, but Russia trucked in mobile crematoriums.

edit: damn that was a tweet from 2014. Here's a current news article instead.

There ain't gonna be no bodybags.
Edited by Captainant
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

He’s not going to attack Germany but the former Soviet states that are NATO members is certainly possible 

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

You're telling me that if the West comes back at Putin with some limpdick league of nations level response, he's not gonna go ahead and test article 5?

Because really, who wants to start a world war over little ol Lithuania anyways?

11 countries have joined NATO since Putin came to power, including the three former Baltic SSR's, and he didn't do anything to try and prevent that, because he was waiting for 18 years until it was 2022 and he was pushing 70 in order to try and claw those countries back.  And you believe that the 30 countries in NATO will turn their backs on him trying to pick them off one by one.

cheryl-cole-okay.gif

• Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Russian mamas will get the word out come hell or high water. I know they've already been listed a "foreign controlled media" or whatever but they will get the word out. 

It makes perfect sense though.  Some of you are declaring that he will conquer NATO members even though he has yet to demonstrate he can actually conquer and hold, actually hold, Ukraine.

Because this is a college football-focused forum, and most of us at one time have taken a win in September and extrapolated out that we are going to play for a MNC in January.

• Haha 2

Watching the coverage with my wife and she asks me if it’s time for us to move back to Brazil.

It is weird, but this feels like the alternate universe’s culmination of the Cold War. The one we thought could happen when we were growing up (minus the nukes).

It’s fucked up to sit and watch all this knowing no one is going to jump in and help.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

https://twitter.com/natobrazeb/status/1496706076334510080?s=21

Latvia invoking Article 4 of NATO which reads:

The Parties will consult together whenever, in the opinion of any of them, the territorial integrity, political independence or security of any of the Parties is threatened.

Edited by GabrielsHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Watching the coverage with my wife and she asks me if it’s time for us to move back to Brazil.

It is weird, but this feels like the alternate universe’s culmination of the Cold War. The one we thought could happen when we were growing up (minus the nukes).

It’s fucked up to sit and watch all this knowing no one is going to jump in and help.

Yep. Was just thinking I need to renew our Irish passports

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

edit: damn that was a tweet from 2014. Here's a current news article instead.

6 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Russian mamas will get the word out come hell or high water. I know they've already been listed a "foreign controlled media" or whatever but they will get the word out. 

It'll be a while before those Russian mamas find out their sons died this time around - Putin learned his lessons with Chechnya and Crimea.

That's assuming the Russian commanders were able to confiscate all personal phones.

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй