Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I'm sure the decision to move a permanent base there was a mutual request, as others have recently pointed out putting up a permanent military base in your country supercharges the local economy. All those young military people with guaranteed paychecks and money to burn are a great thing for your country, but not necessarily the locals, as they'll be priced out and in their place will be a bunch of strip clubs, bars, tattoo parlors, and red-light districts. I can guarantee a lot of people will be putting that one on their duty station wish list. When I was in the Marines I wanted to go to Australia for the same reason, but instead, my dumb boot ass got stationed in Okinawa Japan.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We are living in Madrid for the summer and, duh, we should have checked whether there was going to be a NATO conference. One of the usual things like whether you have enough bedrooms in your apartment, I suppose.

Anyway, this week has seen a lot of helicopters in the air and a VERY strong police presence in the city. On our walks to and from daycare in the morning and evening, we walk across Paseo de Prado/la Castellana, which is a large N/S boulevard, and it's always shut down by the police. Our kids have learned about armored vehicles, firearms, and seen more helicopters than they previously had in their entire lives.

And there's been a bit of a tension in the air. But it feels safe. And my spidey sense would be up since we're here with our 4 and 2yos.

(For the guy upthread who talked about his son here. Things are safe. No need to worry (famous last words? :) )

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

the translation really catches Mom's incredulity there.  

Also shows how fucking naive the average middel age Russian is... their whole lives they could solve stuff with bribes.... and that shit aint working anymore... the thugs will still take your money, but they will ensure your kid now has a death mark on their ass.

How many worried parents and grandparents are sending all their money to some unknown general to get something for their kids? That's how shit works in some armies. We have patronage too. I have no illusions that it's a pure system here, but what they are doing is televangelist level slime. Her letter was tossed right after the cash was taken out. That general doesn't remember their names. Not even a fucking ripple in the gray matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

Putin's wallet is taking a major hit:

https://www.ft.com/content/8cbfc961-cf57-4c71-96ca-bb144c6dd676

Gazprom shares plunge 25% after dividend blocked

Gazprom lost a quarter of its market value on Thursday after the Russian state-backed group said investors had blocked plans to pay a large dividend. “The shareholders decided that in the current situation it is not advisable to pay dividends based on the 2021 results,” said deputy chief executive Famil Sadygov. The company’s biggest shareholder is the Russian state, which directly holds a 38 per cent stake with an additional 12 per cent owned by two other state companies. The stock plunge on Thursday prompted Moscow’s stock exchange to halt trading of the group’s shares.

Gazprom’s board recommended a dividend of Rbs52.53 in May on the back of soaring gas prices, as its 2021 net profit hit an all-time high of Rbs2tn. The recommendation would have meant a record payout of Rbs1.2tn, or $22.8bn at the current exchange rate.

Gazprom announced its new dividend policy in 2019, with the plan to pay out 50 per cent of profits by 2022 — a decision that quickly made it the biggest company by market capitalisation in Russia. The shareholder rejection of the payout marks the first time since 1998 the company has not paid a dividend.

Stock in several other Russian energy groups also dropped on Thursday morning on expectations their boards may follow suit. Russia’s top oil producer Rosneft lost nearly 7 per cent in early trading hours on Thursday, Rosseti power distribution company shed 5 per cent in share value, third-largest producer Surgutneftegas dropped nearly 3 per cent, and Transneft pipeline operator lost 2 per cent.

State-owned Sberbank, Russia’s top lender, also announced on Thursday it would not pay dividends for last year, prompting a 5 per cent fall in the company’s shares. Gazprom’s dividend news comes as the company reduces gas supplies to customers in Europe, including Germany’s Uniper, which issued a profit warning on Thursday. While Gazprom’s sales have been falling, dropping almost 30 per cent year on year in the first half of 2022, soaring gas prices have helped it offset the losses.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dimyh said:

Putin's wallet is taking a major hit:

https://www.ft.com/content/8cbfc961-cf57-4c71-96ca-bb144c6dd676

Gazprom shares plunge 25% after dividend blocked

is it? that's money they were going to pay out to other people. now they can keep it and funnel into whatever wallets they want, no?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1