Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Outside of direct military response, we could do a few things:

1. Unleash the floodgates on weaponry, training, and medical care
  2. Declare Russia a terrorist state 
  3. End whatever trade between Russia and the West is still happening (oil and gas primarily)
  4. Threaten any country that wants to do business with Russia that they will face the same sanctions that Russia does.  China, India, in particular Russia has a lot of natural resources, but at around 130 million people, they don’t buy enough to be worth it for China and India (and others) to go down with Russia.

I'm not opposed to airstrikes inside Ukraine (including Crimea).  But I think we ought to hold off on military action inside Russia.  The Ukrainians can do that with the equipment we've given them.

But much more important than any airstrike would be designating Russia a state sponsor of terrorism (which they undoubtedly are) and imposing secondary sanctions.  Any country or entity that does business will Russia will not do business with the United States or Europe.  That will hurt Russia far more than any airstrike, and will immediately get the attention of the people in Moscow who allow this thing to continue.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

That will hurt Russia far more than any airstrike, and will immediately get the attention of the people in Moscow who allow this thing to continue.

just want to point out the massive miscalculation that would have happened should RU blow up that nuke site while we decided to keep these sanctions/actions in our back pocket hoping it would somehow restrain Putin. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.....while the response isn't to let loose the nuclear arsenal, the response has to be military.  I would suspect that we have a set of packaged airstrikes already planned.  And it would involve overwhelming force -- something that would make Desert Storm look like a picnic.

The response is to destroy every Russian asset in the territory of Ukraine. I'd expect our birds to be in the air within hours. Put it on Russia to escalate based on military action in the territory of Ukraine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Condolences on having your neighbors be Alabamans. 

I am surrounded mostly by Floridians, Mississippians, and some Pennsylvanians who went dark after Tickle Monster. There are Mystery People behind us across the fence line and my Chihuahua assures me that land is rightfully ours. So in the aftertimes I plan to unite my street in fear of the Mystery People until one night when we tear down my fence and vault shrieking with our bamboo pig spears into their compound.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

23 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

(off topic)  

This video illustrates an extreme example of something I use as a kind of measuring device for how I react to a group of protesters:  Does every single sign at the event look like it was made by the same person?  Then fucking "meh" to all of it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I am surrounded mostly by Floridians, Mississippians, and some Pennsylvanians who went dark after Tickle Monster. There are Mystery People behind us across the fence line and my Chihuahua assures me that land is rightfully ours. So in the aftertimes I plan to unite my street in fear of the Mystery People until one night when we tear down my fence and vault shrieking with our bamboo pig spears into their compound.

My son can loan you his doglet to help….

61778C30-F9D7-4FB1-975B-2492BA9AFB49.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm not opposed to airstrikes inside Ukraine (including Crimea).  But I think we ought to hold off on military action inside Russia.  The Ukrainians can do that with the equipment we've given them.

But much more important than any airstrike would be designating Russia a state sponsor of terrorism (which they undoubtedly are) and imposing secondary sanctions.  Any country or entity that does business will Russia will not do business with the United States or Europe.  That will hurt Russia far more than any airstrike, and will immediately get the attention of the people in Moscow who allow this thing to continue.

The US and EU preventing insurance on shipping from collaborating countries is the real financial nuclear weapon.  That’s what the Iranians got, and it just chokes the shit out of your ability to participate in the global economy. 

Our spendiness means people do not want to be denied access to our markets.  If it’s between importing cheap shit from China or selling us goods, countries will take the latter every time. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well…

cheryl-cole-okay.gif

I'm not sure there's ever been a better use of this meme/gif.  Every time I think I can't be any more surprised by the absurdity of Russian propaganda, they somehow manage to one-up themselves.  They really are aggy.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'm not sure there's ever been a better use of this meme/gif.  Every time I think I can't be any more surprised by the absurdity of Russian propaganda, they somehow manage to one-up themselves.  They really are aggy.

I can only imagine the state of their “protective suits”, if they are stored anything like their other military equipment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

so what's the proper US response if they blow up a nuclear facility on the doorstep of Europe?

We may find out.

Russia seems hell-bent on blowing up the plant.  They've sent workers home/barred most of them from showing up, and now they are on Russian TV announcing that the US and Ukraine are going to shell the plant.

Because apparently the US has sent in artillery units.  Nobody can get footage of them. even though Ukraine is crawling with smartphones.  So these are stealth artillery units.

I'm starting to feel like Russia is going to fuck around and destroy the nuclear plant.  They keep announcing that it's going to be destroyed.

What the fuck are they going to tell the Russian public and the rest of the world?

"THE US AND UKRAINE SHELLED A NUCLEAR POWER PLANT, SO NOW WE ARE GOING TO INVADE UKRAINE EVEN HARDER AS WE CELEBRATE THE 180TH DAY OF OUR 3-DAY WAR!!!"

200.gif

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We may find out.

Russia seems hell-bent on blowing up the plant.  They've sent workers home/barred most of them from showing up, and now they are on Russian TV announcing that the US and Ukraine are going to shell the plant...

How would you like to be one of the poor bastards that was told "no, not you, you still gotta work tomorrow."

• Haha 1

Russia is staging this nuke plant attack so they can have an excuse for general mobilization. What they need most now is more warm bodies and they can’t get them and maintain their legitimacy within the legal framework they set for themselves at home. But if the “barbarians attack” a nuke plant - or we attack Russia in response - they have a their reason and away we go.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Russia is staging this nuke plant attack so they can have an excuse for general mobilization. What they need most now is more warm bodies and they can’t get them and maintain their legitimacy within the legal framework they set for themselves at home. But if the “barbarians attack” a nuke plant - or we attack Russia in response - they have a their reason and away we go.

Putin can’t mobilize troops, haven’t you heard?

I’m pretty fucking nervous today. If Putin does this I assume NATO is going to war with Russia and I don’t picture Putin getting his shit pushed in without inflicting some pain on us.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Putin can’t mobilize troops, haven’t you heard?
I’m pretty fucking nervous today. If Putin does this I assume NATO is going to war with Russia and I don’t picture Putin getting his shit pushed in without inflicting some pain on us.

NATO is not an offensive force, no matter how many times Russia says it.

Ukraine is not a NATO member.

So how do you reckon NATO is going to war without one of its members being attacked?
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So how do you reckon NATO is going to war without one of its members being attacked?

If a radioactive cloud hovers over NATO land, that's essentially a nuclear attack on a NATO country. I think it's pretty safe to assume it's go time if that happens.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That’s actually a solid scenario.  We know they were practicing for a general mobilization. 

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If Putin does this I assume NATO is going to war with Russia and I don’t picture Putin getting his shit pushed in within inflicting some pain on us.

US/EU still has some serious options that don’t involve direct military action.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

If Poland experiences radioactive fallout from a nuclear plant attack they will retaliate

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I’m asking because I don’t know…

What harm would come to Euro countries if that plant were to be bombed? How far does the plume spread?

How much area around Chernobyl was harmed? Or the Japanese plant?

Chernobyl spread a bunch of contamination across Belarus, Germany, Norway, and Sweden. Fukushima mainly went over and into the Pacific. 

I could see the nuke plant attack being a false flag to justify mobilization to a domestic audience. Another possibility is that they do it with the idea that it’ll degrade the western appetite to continue supporting Ukraine in the war effort. The idea being that when we see how dirty / dangerous the conflict has become we’ll reassess whether Ukraine really matters that much.

It’s a completely psychopathic and disgusting frame of mind, but that’s who Putin is.

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Stop countries like India, China, and Brazil from doing business with Russia.

I'm all for completely isolating them (and I'm shocked we haven't unleashed every diplomatic weapon in the arsenal already), but do those non-military options end this war quickly? Putin isn't going to come to his senses here.

IMO, Russia is using the ZPP first and foremost as a base where they know they won't get blown up by Ukraine. But being the sadistic opportunists they are, I think they are also using the threat to either/both cause Ukraine to capitulate or erode western support for Ukraine (through people demanding to stop the war).

While they are dumb, I don't think they are dumb enough to go through with it, because I think the west responds by declaring Russia a terrorist state and probably with a no fly zone leading to Russian defeat pretty quickly.  We need to stand strong and call the bluff.

Intentional radiation fallout on NATO triggering Article 5? WMD has been pretty telegraphed as NATO’s line in the sand.

Looking earth.nullschool.net the present winds would carry the fallout across Crimea to Putin’s beloved Sochi.

33 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If Poland experiences radioactive fallout from a nuclear plant attack they will retaliate

I'll grant you this, but Poland isn't NATO.  And if you could guarantee me that there'd be no mushroom clouds, I wouldn't mind seeing Poland set Russia in its place.  But we can't and so there we are.

7 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Intentional radiation fallout on NATO triggering Article 5? WMD has been pretty telegraphed as NATO’s line in the sand.

Looking earth.nullschool.net the present winds would carry the fallout across Crimea to Putin’s beloved Sochi.

This is definitely a possible scenario where NATO says, "enough of your bullshit Russia."  

Those prevailing winds though.  It would be pretty funny - in the darkest way possible - if the end result of this operation was to irradiate Putin's beloved dacha.