Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

My eyes are bad, what’s going on there?

some rapid repetitive movements involving two soldiers.  one kneeling praying before another, repeatedly nodding yes.  The other with a hand resting on his head, presumably giving some sort of religious blessing. 

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I haven't read The New Yorker yet but I don't see how a coup fundamentally changes things. It would be coming from top political/military leaders, and they can't turn the propaganda machine on a dime, or else they'll be labeled Western sympathizers by the remaining Putinists. I think has to be a popular revolution for there to be meaningful change.

What about the possibility of a stalemate with occasional border skirmishes, kind of like India-Pakistan? Right or wrong, domestic considerations will eventually put up barriers to us continuing to pour billions into Ukraine's defense, without which they probably can't keep Russia back pushing.

In the short term we don't care about meaningful change in Russia.   If Putin is killed/removed the new person/regime can hit reset and blame all the ills, poor decisions and losses on Putin.  This can include Russia pulling out of Ukraine and blaming Putin for everything and for lying to everyone.  Their new justification will also likely be full of lies, but hey...that's how they do it in Russia.   What will all of the Pro-Russian, Pro-Putin, Pro-Nuke everyone Russians and commentators say and do?   Whatever they are told...as usual.

There will be no stalemate from the Ukrainians as long as they want to fight, and my perspective is that they will fight until they reclaim all of their territory.  They know that anything less will be viewed by Russia as a pause to regroup and then attack again in a few years.  They need to win, and win it all.   If they negotiate away anything even "temporarily" or in a "pause" then it will be 10 times harder to go back later.

They can fight (and maybe die) on their feet, or live on their knees.   We should do everything we can to help them fight as long as that is their choice.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The look on the Belarusian’s face when one of the other talking heads said Belarus belongs to Russia

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

FeHtR8KXwAENdo-?format=jpg&name=large

from the same clip posted last night, some of the comments…aggy as hell.

“All Ukraine is with us” but also “everywhere we go the adversary outnumbers us 5 to 1”. Who does he think fights in the Ukraine’s army, Santa’s elves? Or is it Malcolm Nance again? Clearly Ukraine isn’t with you my dude.

——

The ability of these people to victimize themselves in every situation is mind-blowing. Chechnya “happened to them” and looks like now Ukraine is “happening to them.” Zero introspection.

—-

Talking head? Isn't that a Russian government official claiming Belarus is part of Russia? 

11 minutes ago, ABSR said:

In the short term we don't care about meaningful change in Russia.   If Putin is killed/removed the new person/regime can hit reset and blame all the ills, poor decisions and losses on Putin.  This can include Russia pulling out of Ukraine and blaming Putin for everything and for lying to everyone.  Their new justification will also likely be full of lies, but hey...that's how they do it in Russia.   What will all of the Pro-Russian, Pro-Putin, Pro-Nuke everyone Russians and commentators say and do?   Whatever they are told...as usual.

There will be no stalemate from the Ukrainians as long as they want to fight, and my perspective is that they will fight until they reclaim all of their territory.  They know that anything less will be viewed by Russia as a pause to regroup and then attack again in a few years.  They need to win, and win it all.   If they negotiate away anything even "temporarily" or in a "pause" then it will be 10 times harder to go back later.

They can fight (and maybe die) on their feet, or live on their knees.   We should do everything we can to help them fight as long as that is their choice.

I'd also guess that if Putin falls, whoever the new guy is will have to spend a significant period of time securing his position domestically before he can turn much to foreign adventures. It took Putin awhile to get to the point where he could try this, and the new guy likely won't have that kind of equity right away.  

34 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I think they made them. You can't make a profit selling them to your brother-in-law's clothing chain if you don't make them.

Yeah, they're real. They just got looted and are now being sold back to the conscripts for a tidy profit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I haven't read The New Yorker yet but I don't see how a coup fundamentally changes things. It would be coming from top political/military leaders, and they can't turn the propaganda machine on a dime, or else they'll be labeled Western sympathizers by the remaining Putinists. I think has to be a popular revolution for there to be meaningful change.

That's actually covered in the article. That it's hardest to end wars, historically, where you have a hybrid government with an authoritarian/monarch who is beholden to certain interests, like the Kaiser in WW1 or Putin now. Really good read.

• Hook 'Em 2