Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

6 hours ago, tokamak said:

I haven't read The New Yorker yet but I don't see how a coup fundamentally changes things. It would be coming from top political/military leaders, and they can't turn the propaganda machine on a dime, or else they'll be labeled Western sympathizers by the remaining Putinists. I think has to be a popular revolution for there to be meaningful change.

It’s pretty clear that this is getting more and more unpopular in Russia.  We have Putin’s mouthpieces who are not hiding their disappointment on state TV.  We have high-level Russian officials engaged in infighting.  We have ongoing protests and other acts of rebellion.

Coup plotters don’t have to turn the propaganda machine on a dime, they can do two things right off the bat:

1. Reassure the oligarchs/BMDs that they are going to get Russia back in the graces of the world and get them access to Europe, etc. (their yachts, estates, etc. or at least the ability to buy new ones)
  2. Demobilize the hundreds of thousands who were mobilized.  This will be a massive PR win, and we know the standing Russian Army is in a world of shit - sending the demobilized home will make sure that the military is relatively weak.  This also makes millions of anxious young men very happy, along with millions of families and friends. 
6 hours ago, tokamak said:

What about the possibility of a stalemate with occasional border skirmishes, kind of like India-Pakistan? Right or wrong, domestic considerations will eventually put up barriers to us continuing to pour billions into Ukraine's defense, without which they probably can't keep Russia back pushing.

Parts of Europe appears to have had a change of heart - almost like they don’t want to be left out of supporting Ukraine.  I’ve seen some people saying that some European countries are worried about about being seen as not doing enough, and therefore not relevant.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe, just maybe, the Russians are having logistics problems. And manpower problems, hence sending strategic missile services personnel to fight in Ukraine.

Because if they were serious about nuclear weapons, the amount of security around that train would be insane, and you’d see the Russian leadership disappearing to their hidey holes.  And they’d be sending NBC gear to Russian troops.

Instead this train is carrying shit that the frontline troops need.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

^Two for one special!

This is how tank warfare should go in reality from here on out. In a world where someone is armed with America’s weapons a tank should be the last place on planet earth you would want to be. Every platoon you go up against from here on out will have easy access to multiple javelins. If I was russian I’d abandon it the first second I could.

it’s like the LST landing crafts from World War II. The joke was that it stood for a large slow target. That’s all the tank is now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Musk has read and quoted RT in the past, which is just sanitized Russian propaganda, and maybe he didn’t realize it was run by the Russian government or didn’t care.

Anyways, speaking of RT, given that she talks directly to Putin, I’m assuming some Russian generals are about to fall out of a window

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

^I hope this is true.

If you look at that on Google Maps, you'll see that "bridge in Dudchany isn't a bridge at all; it's a dam that impounds a small reservoir for the village.  That's not to say that it couldn't be blown--it could've been with enough explosives.  But it is to say that the resulting dry creekbed isn't going to pose that much of an obstacle to the advancing Ukrainians.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Musk has read and quoted RT in the past, which is just sanitized Russian propaganda, and maybe he didn’t realize it was run by the Russian government or didn’t care.
Anyways, speaking of RT, given that she talks directly to Putin, I’m assuming some Russian generals are about to fall out of a window

You know…if Russia really does collapse into chaos, watching her be dragged through the streets will be one of my favorite moments. Or maybe when she’s nabbed by Estonian border guards, trying to flee in a shifty disguise.
Shave her head, parade her through the streets, then try her and hang her.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Based on my exceedingly limited knowledge of the Russian army, that 100% tracks.

When I visited Russia many years ago, we had a driver/facilitator.  He was a good guy who (among other things) managed to get us out of the country when we accidentally overstayed our visas (small bribes were involved). 

Anyhow--he had been a conscript in the last year in Afghanistan, and some of his stories were mortifying.  Yeah, he was afraid of the Mujahiddin.  But for day-to-day suffering, that was inflicted by the guys who were in the second year in the army.  As he described it, "hazing" doesn't really cover it.  They just beat the shit out of their own guys for fun.  And if there was something that could be stolen along the way, so much the better.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You know…if Russia really does collapse into chaos, watching her be dragged through the streets will be one of my favorite moments. Or maybe when she’s nabbed by Estonian border guards, trying to flee in a shifty disguise.
Shave her head, parade her through the streets, then try her and hang her.

I think I already saw that episode…

image.jpeg.2dadd78149f33664b01861146a788501.jpeg

• Haha 1

Didn't Elon's starlink tremendously help Ukraine at the start of the war. I don't think he's a Russian agent or sympathizer. He's just an egomanic idiot who can't  help himself on Twitter.

He is has a squirrels attention span and an over inflated sense of self-worth to match his estimated value. Remember him crying about having to sell shares to pay taxes while ignoring the reality that his companies were government funded.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So, if you’ve gotten this far in this thread and haven’t read Keegan’s Faces of Battle, please do.  It’s incredibly illuminating about the day to day lives of soldiers and close combat. 

One of the things he talks about is how routes have a tendency to build on themselves, and running from an enemy actually increases your chances of being killed. The route and the drive to pursue and kill build on each other an it requires and intense command structure to keep the winners from slaughtering the losers.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Neither. They are using the nuclear division personnel and trains to transport trucks to the front line. 

things bad for Ivan.

Yep.  It could even be exercises (see below).  These units have different budgets are are a world unto themselves (they aren’t loaded with conscripts and lacking in the necessities).  Even then, some of their personnel were called in to fight with the infantry, so not surprising if it’s just that this is an intact military unit with an intact logistics train  

There was another thread about it with some OSINT nerds discussing how any tactical nukes are going to be delivered, unannounced, by aircraft, and they won’t be “announced” like this unit being watched by drones whose footage was then uploaded to the internet.  Basically, the Russians will not do anything that could cause either the weapons to be captured, or to be hit by the Ukrainians (particularly HIMARS or drones).

It could be that they are trying to scare the West, but given all of their current  logistics and manpower woes, they aren’t going to tie up valuable rail lines with a stunt like this, when there are easier ways (involving aircraft/Air Force bases).

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  It could even be exercises (see below).  These units have different budgets are are a world unto themselves (they aren’t loaded with conscripts and lacking in the necessities).  Even then, some of their personnel were called in to fight with the infantry, so not surprising if it’s just that this is an intact military unit with an intact logistics train  

There was another thread about it with some OSINT nerds discussing how any tactical nukes are going to be delivered, unannounced, by aircraft, and they won’t be “announced” like this unit being watched by drones whose footage was then uploaded to the internet.  Basically, the Russians will not do anything that could cause either the weapons to be captured, or to be hit by the Ukrainians (particularly HIMARS or drones).

It could be that they are trying to scare the West, but given all of their current  logistics and manpower woes, they aren’t going to tie up valuable rail lines with a stunt like this, when there are easier ways (involving aircraft/Air Force bases).

I read that as 12th Man and was worried for a minute Aggy might invade Waco again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

These people were mobilized last week.

When I enlisted, after I went through MEPs (entrance processing) and was on base a week in, we were mowing big ass fields with fucking manual push mowers, and moving rocks around wherever some NCO needed rocks (rocks being strategically placed around various areas appears to be a thing within the training command), and getting our gear and getting exams and dental work, and doing workouts, (and the big guys were being weighed and tested everyday) and waiting for the rest of our battery to fill in from all parts of the country,

These dudes are handling heavy weapons and tanks  Sure, they could be prior service and going through some kind of refresher training, but meanwhile they are sending dudes who have been in a few days into the fighting.

• Hook 'Em 1