Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

I don't know where he's getting his numbers from on the tanks/APCs, but even half those numbers are noteworthy.

And I could see the APCs getting knocked out like crazy with Javelins/etc.  Even 65 APCs would be close to carrying 500 troops (I'm assuming some of them are not actually APCs, but configured for anti-air or whatever).  I'm not saying they killed 500 Russians in those APCs, but just putting it in perspective.

And if they've taken out 65 APCs (or more), that's spread out over a large area, which means a lot of APC drivers would know of APCs that got hit, and they might be skittish about where they go.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So US intelligence has been correct and even after publishing it Russia has maintained the timeline. Such a weird type of warfare. 

We probably have every satellite in space pointed at every sqare inch of the region. Not to mention all the surveillance aircraft we have circling the borders.

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

That's why this war is so shocking to many.  They share your culture, language, look like you.  It's not like going to the middle east and saying ha these savages don't know any better.  

Say that to the Serbs, Croats, and Bosnians. After all their shit in the 90s the Serbian coalition in Bosnia is attempting to resurrect the Republika Srpska army and start it up all over again. 

Being neighbors who speak the same language, eat the same foods, and look the same doesn't matter when power hungry pieces of shit take over. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Someone said it pages ago, but it needs to be said again. American intelligence community is doing work

Agreed. I have been critical in the past, and they have deserved it, but their assessments appear to be right on wrt Russia/Ukraine. May be another sign that Russia as a military/geopolitical adversary is overrated. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

We probably have every satellite in space pointed at every sqare inch of the region. Not to mention all the surveillance aircraft we have circling the borders.

So you're saying I can go outside without pants without orbital judgement?  

One thing that I am really surprised by is the lack of cyber warfare capability being deployed by Russia. I have limited knowledge of this, but always had the impression that the one area that Russia was truly world class was cyber warfare. And their websites are getting borked and Ukrainians still have power and internet sending videos and intel out. Very strange to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

39 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

There is a saying in Russia that translates basically to “no matter what story you are telling, here in Russia you can always add to the end ‘and it then got worse’ and it remains true.”

The Russian army for all of mankind has had numbers, not stability. 

Numbers alone are good for fighting invaders. Not so great for invading someone else. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, we knew the Soviet military was in extreme disarray 30 years ago when the USSR failed.

I think we've tended to believe Russia has gotten its shit together, but we know it's economy remains pretty much a shambles and that makes it hard to really build back up.

And, we've only "seen" them operate in pretty small scale, localized conflicts.

And, of course, there's the morale problem that's exacerbated by attacking what are for most purposes their own people.

Maybe they do kinda suck.

Didn't a few dozen US forces/'contractors' take out over 200 Russians to successfully hold a position in Syria? I believe those forces had no loss of life either.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

One thing that I am really surprised by is the lack of cyber warfare capability being deployed by Russia. I have limited knowledge of this, but always had the impression that the one area that Russia was truly world class was cyber warfare. And their websites are getting borked and Ukrainians still have power and internet sending videos and intel out. Very strange to me. 

Putin = late era Mack?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Agreed. I have been critical in the past, and they have deserved it, but their assessments appear to be right on wrt Russia/Ukraine. May be another sign that Russia as a military/geopolitical adversary is overrated. 

It was new how we (through media) got Russia's move a half a day before they made it from the WH.  Probably done with some intention on not appearing surprised by anything (with the opposition's focus on Benghazi's being undeniable), and for that and other reasons, not a bad move at all.  No C/R intended in all seriousness.

Rubio was not on twitter last night putting out all of that information without permission, otherwise he'd be stripped of his committee assignment and his intel access.
The intel is being released by design, both to make Putin own/defend it (such as his repeated claims of no invasion/just drills over the past few weeks), but also to let everybody know what Russia is doing in advance.
I'm sure the Ukrainians are getting some extremely detailed information.
There's another benefit - it could make the Russians second-guess a lot of stuff (maybe even think the West has somebody on the inside) and/or resort to methods of communications that are harder to intercept, but also harder to use.
Still, a lot of this stuff is in plain sight.

I can totally see us communicating in real time with Ukraine of what’s going on, where to shoot, when to hold back, etc. I’m sure the intel that the US/UK/etc is providing is flat out allowing them to do work and, in turn, giving them confidence.

Keep fighting Ukraine. All of Surly supports you.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I dig the look but man Americans sure are the kings of useless platitudes. 

It's especially frustrating seeing how weirdly inept this Russian invasion is and that a relatively small American force as part of a NATO coalition could have ruined this whole thing for Putin already. 

Instead we have toothless platitudes and cowering to Putin's empty threat of nukes when standing up to aggression a long time ago could have prevented this stuff from Russia by now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Russia can take out their power any time it wants.  SCADA systems are easily hacked by Russia.  It does him no advantage until he decides to encircle the cities.  Right now he wants the power on and the comms on.  His enemies will post to the cloud and give away their locations.  It doesn't hurt him at the moment

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Russia can take out their power any time it wants.  SCADA systems are easily hacked by Russia.  It does him no advantage until he decides to encircle the cities.  Right now he wants the power on and the comms on.  His enemies will post to the cloud and give away their locations.  It doesn't hurt him at the moment

So, everything's going to plan?

Say that to the Serbs, Croats, and Bosnians. After all their shit in the 90s the Serbian coalition in Bosnia is attempting to resurrect the Republika Srpska army and start it up all over again. 
Being neighbors who speak the same language, eat the same foods, and look the same doesn't matter when power hungry pieces of shit take over. 
Religion trumps all

9 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Tbf the only people we've seen first hand Russian propaganda work on are the 30 percent dumbest of American idiots. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

51 minutes ago, F250 said:

It is not a big deal. The Russian hacking groups have been doing this to the West for years. This also was occurring back in 2003 when the U.S. invaded Iraq by American groups.

Right.  Non state sponsored (at least openly) group.  I don't remember the stories of 2003 independent group hacking in conjunction with the Iraq invasion.

2 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I can’t imagine that this is going according to plan for Putin.

He surely expected a bit of a fight and to lose some Russians, I’m not convinced anything has happened that he hasn’t expected. I really hope I’m wrong and the Ukrainians fuck them up. I’m legitimately curious what motivation Russian soldiers have here knowing the world knows them as the aggressors and success would do nothing for them personally. The psychology of it is beyond my comprehension.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe something to the rumors of neurological or other illnesses. He is totally unhinged. 

He's not unhinged.  He's a genius.  Smart.  Very Smart.  Tremendously smart.  Sadly, this first wave is part of his plan.  What happens in April is what's really gonna suck.

• immamac changed the title to Русский корабль - иди нахуй