So...about Charlie Strong at USF...

horn_of_the_morning

19 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Screw Mack Brown for the way he tried to sabotage the recruiting class on his way out.

The complete opposite of what he did when he left NC to come to Austin.

He could have blown up the building and it wouldn't have made it any worse than having Charlie as coach.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

There were quite a few on this board convinced Herman was the man in the spring of 2019 before the lesson in epistiemic humility they received last fall.

While not convinced he was the man, I'm an optimist. I've tried to be optimistic about all of them.

With the  loss to a mediocre at best TCU team, the Iowa St. game and now the total lack of focus this Spring I have lost my faith in the Herman regime. God how I'd love to have him prove me wrong. But I'm already wondering who we need to hire next.

• 1 year later...

USF getting a little slap on the wrist due to some liberties taken during the Chuck Strong Era. It's no big deal. I'm sure he and Urban will be in the NFL for years to come.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/USF-ex-coach-Charlie-Strong-hit-with-NCAA-sanctions-174073665/?fbclid=IwAR3BeD_qDtYmufTvY-hIgJ38BYZ_PXqN2ZslaFJHP9PKM2i5bIyqmlnzNQ4

And, yes, "suctions."

The NCAA committee on infractions levied suctions against South Florida and former Bulls coach Charlie Strong. The resolution announced by the NCAA saw South Florida receive three years’ probation, while Strong faces a one-game suspension if he attempts to coach in college before the 2022-23 academic year.

Strong was fired as South Florida coach after the 2019 season. He’s currently an assistant head coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars, under first-year coach Urban Meyer.

According to the Tampa Bay Times:

READ MORE2021 Coaching Carousel updates

“One football staffer — who wasn’t one of the program’s designated on-field assistants — coached up tight ends during the 2018 season,” wrote the Times’ Matt Baker. “The next season, six other staffers who weren’t allowed to coach did so anyway. One led special teams drills and film evaluation. Three others regularly participated on the scout team, and two occasionally coached players during practice.

“The program even had a scheme to avoid detection,” Baker wrote. “According to the resolution, an equipment staffer alerted colleagues through radio headsets if compliance officials were on their way. The rest of the equipment staff would then tell the noncoaching staff members that compliance was coming so they could stop their impermissible acts.”

Baker pointed out that USF twice submitted similar violations previously in Strong’s tenure.

“The resolution concluded that Strong failed to monitor his staff and did not promote an atmosphere of compliance,” Baker wrote.

South Florida will also lose two scholarships from their 2022-23 class, meaning the Bulls can only take 23 new scholarship players, rather than a full class of 25.

8COMMENTS

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

“USF athletics places great emphasis on and is committed to the highest level of integrity and NCAA rules compliance,” athletic director Michael Kelly said in a statement. “While I am disappointed to have discovered actions that did not uphold these values, I am pleased with the professionalism and speed with which our compliance and administrative staff self-reported and collaborated with the NCAA for a thorough review. I believe we have a strong culture of compliance at USF. As such, we will use this as an opportunity to learn and improve as a department as we continue to pursue best practices and the highest standards of compliance.”

10 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He’s one of the worst coaches of the last 30 years without a single doubt. You and your “validity to claims of racism” can go fuck yourself. 

Worst Texas coach ever? I think the stats validate that. Worst FBS coach in the last 30 years? .583 win pct in an over 100 game sample size makes it hard to believe. I get that you’re obsessed with this but maybe pull a Gary Patterson and take a step back. 

On 6/22/2020 at 3:26 PM, Helobious said:

Charlie sucked here, but this kind of hyperbole is what brings unnecessary validity to claims of racism. There’s no way “one of the worst head coach coaches in 30 years” could have an overall winning record at HC. Not by all that slim a margin either or in a tiny sample size, 74-53. You can think he sucked at Texas while recognizing that overall as a head corch he’s been mediocre. 

This is an awful take. Charlie Strong is a garbage head coach and his record at Texas and USF prove it.

He may not be “the worst in 30 years”, but when they call roll it don’t take long to get to his name.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Like 1

I’m not obsessed. I think he was surrounded by Bridgewater and talent at Texas that could fart its way to 5 wins per season. Yes, he’s the worst coach I’ve ever seen at any level. 

Based on what?

You can say that based on his Texas record he was the worst here. But if you use record, then that same consideration says he’s not the worst coach in the last 30 years.

I don’t know the dynamics of the USF program, but he was only there 3 years. They won 10 in year 1 with one of those losses being to a pretty solid UCF team. Have you checked their record since he left? Theoretically the new guy had some Taggert recruits too. No doubt Strong didn’t leave tons of studs but with the great things Taggert did at FSU maybe he didn’t leave shit either other than a Senior class.

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Based on what?

You can say that based on his Texas record he was the worst here. But if you use record, then that same consideration says he’s not the worst coach in the last 30 years.

I don’t know the dynamics of the USF program, but he was only there 3 years. They won 10 in year 1 with one of those losses being to a pretty solid UCF team. Have you checked their record since he left? Theoretically the new guy had some Taggert recruits too. No doubt Strong didn’t leave tons of studs but with the great things Taggert did at FSU maybe he didn’t leave shit either other than a Senior class.

In year three he went 4-8 with the following margins of defeat:

49, 4, 27, 32, 10, 3, 39, 27

Six double digit losses.  Five by 20+. Three by 30+. One by 40+.

What "dynamics" do you need to know other than this bumbling Magoo couldn't even make it to year four at USF?  It's laughable to assign even a shred of blame to the guy who left the program in historically great shape. Charlie couldn't have stumbled into a better situation and he set fire to the place and burned everything to the ground.

In year three he went 4-8 with the following margins of defeat:
49, 4, 27, 32, 10, 3, 39, 27
Six double digit losses.  Five by 20+. Three by 30+. One by 40+.
What "dynamics" do you need to know other than this bumbling Magoo couldn't even make it to year four at USF?  It's laughable to assign even a shred of blame to the guy who left the program in historically great shape. Charlie couldn't have stumbled into a better situation and he set fire to the place and burned everything to the ground.

You don’t know that the situation was great at USF would be my guess. If the frosh and soph classes were garbage then that is not leaving the program in great shape. Maybe Daniels was his Bridgewater. Leavitt had more prolonged success in the Big East.

They won 1 more game with Taggert the year before than with Charlie the next year. They also played 1 more. Taggert left FSU in the shitter. I don’t know whether he left 1 or 2 classes worth a damn at USF. As best I can tell, he left one good QB.

Strong lost by a combined 11 points including undefeated UCF in year 1. The year before Taggert did beat a 6-7 UCF. Lost by 16 to Temple. Lost to FSU by 20. Houston was Charlies other loss.

USF is 3 and 14 since Strong was let go. No doubt Strong didn’t leave great football players. But since Strong was only there 3 years that would have been Taggert senior and redshirt senior classes that played a part in those stellar seasons. Maybe Strong ran them all off. Those are the dynamics I’m talking about.

That is not a best situation if you run off dudes you were left with though.

That 4-8 season. Losses to ranked Wisconsin, Memphis and Cincy. No doubt they weren’t good, but their talent relative to their opponents wasn’t superior. So again if you are there only 3 years, the talent level is not just that coaches doing but what was left from the prior coach.

I’m not advocating that Strong should have stayed at USF. I don’t have a clue since I don’t follow them closely.

But back to the original point of Strong being the worst of the last 30 years isn’t even close to correct.

• 3 months later...

“Disconcerting Signals.”

Don’t remember how or why,  but I recently stumbled across this perfect time capsule of the Chuckles era. A Grantland article by Texas alum Bryan Curtis. Since thread got bumped…

Early in the fourth quarter of Saturday’s Texas-TCU game, the Longhorns were trailing 47-0. TCU lined up for a field goal. Snap, hold, wide right. Yesssss, I thought, savoring a small and useless victory. But what was this? A flag? “Disconcerting signals, defense,” said the ref. “That’s a five-yard penalty. It’ll still be fourth down.”

Disconcerting signals? The Longhorns had been called for a rare and bizarre penalty. (TCU’s re-kick was good.) Those of us in the thinkpiece business were in luck. There’s no better way to characterize the sheer strangeness, gut-punch bad luck, and Benny Hill ineptitude of the Longhorns’ season than “disconcerting signals.”

Let us list some of those signals: After the first quarter of Saturday’s game, TCU led 30-0. In a series that stretches back to 1897, the Horned Frogs had never scored more points in a single game. Charlie Strong agreed it was his worst day ever as a head coach.

Fucking hilarious read now. Hard to believe we’re already two coaches removed from this.

Disconcerting Signals: Charlie Strong and Texas are 1-4

• Rage+1 2

• 11 months later...

Charlie Strong decides to leave Miami Hurricanes over DC snub

Veteran coach Charlie Strong, who was Miami's co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach last season, told ESPN on Thursday that he would not return to Miami in 2023 after being passed over for the defensive coordinator job.

"Coach [Mario] Cristobal and the program made a decision to go in a different direction. It's time for me to go in a different direction," Strong said.

It was reported Tuesday that Lance Guidry agreed to a deal to become Miami's defensive coordinator two days after Kevin Steele told Cristobal he was leaving for the same position at Alabama. Guidry had been at Tulane for three weeks before taking the Miami job. He spent last season as Marshall's defensive coordinator, and the Thundering Herd finished in the top five in six different FBS defensive categories.

Strong, 62, has extensive recruiting ties throughout the state of Florida as well as the Southeast. He was the Florida Gators' defensive coordinator on their 2006 and 2008 national championship teams and one of their top recruiters. He has coached 15 players selected in the first round of the NFL draft.

Miami was 5-7 a year ago in Cristobal's first season as coach, the first time the Hurricanes finished the regular season with a losing record since 2007. They finished tied for 67th nationally (10th in the ACC) in scoring defense at 26.8 points per game and were 97th nationally in scoring offense (10th in the ACC) at 23.6 points per game. Miami also finished tied for 118th nationally (next to last in the ACC) with 25 lost turnovers.

Chuck moving on to bigger and better things.

Edited by Bevo in VA
  • Haha 4

“Disconcerting Signals.”
Don’t remember how or why,  but I recently stumbled across this perfect time capsule of the Chuckles era. A Grantland article by Texas alum Bryan Curtis. Since thread got bumped…

Early in the fourth quarter of Saturday’s Texas-TCU game, the Longhorns were trailing 47-0. TCU lined up for a field goal. Snap, hold, wide right. Yesssss, I thought, savoring a small and useless victory. But what was this? A flag? “Disconcerting signals, defense,” said the ref. “That’s a five-yard penalty. It’ll still be fourth down.”

Disconcerting signals? The Longhorns had been called for a rare and bizarre penalty. (TCU’s re-kick was good.) Those of us in the thinkpiece business were in luck. There’s no better way to characterize the sheer strangeness, gut-punch bad luck, and Benny Hill ineptitude of the Longhorns’ season than “disconcerting signals.”

Let us list some of those signals: After the first quarter of Saturday’s game, TCU led 30-0. In a series that stretches back to 1897, the Horned Frogs had never scored more points in a single game. Charlie Strong agreed it was his worst day ever as a head coach.

Fucking hilarious read now. Hard to believe we’re already two coaches removed from this.

The TCU game part of Thujones’s season in review piece was epic in
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

The TCU game part of Thujones’s season in review piece was epic in

Had to google 'disconcerting signals' just now like I had to back in 2015. "This penalty is very rarely called because it's a move that players seldom attempt." Thanks, Charlie for doing something unique!

https://www.rookieroad.com/football/disconcerting-acts-or-signals-penalty/

• Like 1