7.0-ish Earthquake in Anchorage

bmbmd

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Well, geologic time is far longer than our conception of short run.  So, 54 years later a 7.0 aftershock from a 9.2 in the same area is not unrealistic.  

Yep makes sense.  I friggin' love plate tectonics.  How far outside the box do you have to think to come up with that theory ?? !!

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep makes sense.  I friggin' love plate tectonics.  How far outside the box do you have to think to come up with that theory ?? !!

Not much.  My second major was Physical Geography/GIS so I took about 12 hours of geology electives in school.  Just a hunch that the media won’t talk about because “it was 54 yrs ago ZOMG!!!!!

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Not much.  My second major was Physical Geography/GIS so I took about 12 hours of geology electives in school.  Just a hunch that the media won’t talk about because “it was 54 yrs ago ZOMG!!!!!

No, to come up with the theory that the Earths crust is a series of abducting and subducting plates floating on a soft sludgy layer ?  That's some wild, weed induced out there shit.

My new partner started two weeks ago-after eighteen years in Wasilla.  She left her husband behind to sell the house, and closing was scheduled for two weeks hence.  That's delayed now, needless to say.  Sheetrock cracked, she says, but no structural damage.  Plus my avatar was shot in Anchorage so hits close to home, etc. 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No, to come up with the theory that the Earths crust is a series of abducting and subducting plates floating on a soft sludgy layer ?  That's some wild, weed induced out there shit.

I dunno, man. Take one good look at the east coast of South America and see how it aligns with the west coast of Africa, and you've got a pretty good start at conjuring up ideas.

Puff, puff, pass.

• Like 1

S9o that road that was blown all to hell?  already been fixed.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/05/us/alaska-earthquake-road-repair-trnd/index.html

Alaska road crews are the envy of folks in the Lower 48 because of their quick repair of a road that was ripped apart by Friday's 7.0-magnitude earthquake.

An off-ramp connecting International Airport Road and Minnesota Drive in Anchorage collapsed in the quake, creating a huge hole that made the unfortunate SUV that fell in look like a toy.

Before and after photos shared on Facebook on Tuesday showed how quickly the repairs were completed. The jagged chucks of broken road are gone, the hole is filled, the road has been repaved and fresh lines have been painted.