Android Thread

What apps do y'all use for visual voicemail?  I have an unlocked S9+ and the AT&T app won't work with my phone (I can't get past the PIN login despite the pw being correct and being reset multiple times).  I've tried youmail and I'm just not too fond of it.

• 2 months later...
On 11/30/2018 at 10:23 AM, Spur08 said:

What apps do y'all use for visual voicemail?  I have an unlocked S9+ and the AT&T app won't work with my phone (I can't get past the PIN login despite the pw being correct and being reset multiple times).  I've tried youmail and I'm just not too fond of it.

Seems to be a problem with unlocked phones.  Youmail is pretty good.  You may have to activate it a couple of times for it to "stick," meaning reliably pick up calls.

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Can anyone explain to me how a notch became a feature?  JFC.

The goal is to make the screen as big as possible with minimal bezels, and the front camera has to go somewhere. It will be over in a few years when the tech comes to embed the cameras beneath the screen, but not quite there yet. 

Edited by Lobwedgephil

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, midtown said:

Thinking of upgrading from my Pixel XL to something new. I'm on project fi so I'm limited to about 6 phones.  I'm definitely partial to Pixels so leaning to 2XL or 3XL..or maybe even wait for a 4xl.  Anyone have any input?

I have the 3XL....after having been the biggest proponent of Google flagship phones and having a bunch of them, I no longer can recommend. 

Battery life on it sucks.  Super picky on chargers.  Super picky on wireless chargers.  Used to be fantastically priced but no longer the case. 

Used to dislike other phones because of their software skins...but I have a Huawei and the 3rd party software is virtually invisible to me.  The battery performance is fucking ridiculous and the usability from that is almost life changing.  I don't charge my phone phone overnight.  I don't seek out outlets in public.  I don't carry battery packs when traveling.  I don't top off the phone before going out. 

It's like going back to the Nokia brick days.  If you can find gray market/import Huawei Mate or P 20/30 Pro, get one of those.  Personally I would also entertain the OnePlus 6t.  Otherwise...iPhone XR.

After 7 or so nexus/Google phones I'm done with them.

• Like 1

Oh PS, I'm running the Fi Sim on my P20Pro.  Full compatibility.  Works 100%.
It's also dual-sim so I'm running Fi concurrently with another SIM card.

On the 3XL I have Fi on eSIM and another carrier on physical SIM...but the phone can only use 1 signal at the time.  Bush league.

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Thinking of upgrading from my Pixel XL to something new. I'm on project fi so I'm limited to about 6 phones.  I'm definitely partial to Pixels so leaning to 2XL or 3XL..or maybe even wait for a 4xl.  Anyone have any input?

Google Fi opened their doors for a ton of compatible phones. You aren't limited to the 6 they sell anymore.

https://fi.google.com/compatibility

1 hour ago, Parliament said:
3 hours ago, ztejas said:
The concept is cool as shit but like as others stated I'm sure there will be some kinks for them to work out. 
What "notch" are you referring to? 

Top right of the big screen.

Yeah it's a little awkward. Hadn't really noticed that. 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

The concept is cool as shit but like as others stated I'm sure there will be some kinks for them to work out. 

What "notch" are you referring to? 

The "notch" is the dark, nonfunctional space on the iPhone X where the camera (and light and proximity sensors?) reside.

apple-iphone-x-bolt-mobile-sasktel-space

When it was first announced, people were horrified at the aestheics of it. then it became a "feature."  You can like (or tolerate) it or not, but to treat it as a feature is super dumb and a classic Apple fanboi move. /posted from a MBP

Edited by TwiceHorn

16 minutes ago, midtown said:

I'm leaning towards the one plus 6 because it has a headphone jack.  How quickly do these other carriers get updates?  I'm kind of bummed to be going from 9 on my XL back to 8.   Also why would I need two sims?  

You could go S10, keeps you current for now. But the fingerprint sensor is pretty terrible. 

14 minutes ago, midtown said:

I'm leaning towards the one plus 6 because it has a headphone jack.  How quickly do these other carriers get updates?  I'm kind of bummed to be going from 9 on my XL back to 8.   Also why would I need two sims?  

Are you not on the bluetooth headphone train yet?  Comes in every form factor and works great. 

OR, for the people poo-poo'ing dongles... a USB-C to mini inline adapter (comes with every phone) can stay permanently attached to your traditional headphone, and is virtually invisible in use. 

All these guys suck with updates.  Essential is the best but they won't have a new phone out until a while.  OnePlus is pretty decent. 

9 to 8 really doesnt matter anymore.  IMO anyway.  Its like Windows 10 vs 7... all incremental changes nowadays.

I like 2 SIMs for international roaming.  have a local sim and your standard one to maintain your number.  also minor benefit of being able to switch to whichever carrier has better signal.  and simply a practical matter is that when i used to switch SIMs, its pretty damn easy to lose the tiny microSIM chips.

most people use it to call their whores.

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

I like 2 SIMs for international roaming.

I internationally roam with project fi with zero issues...I've been to 6-7 countries in the last 3 years with it and other than Vietnam it worked no different than it did at home.

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Are you not on the bluetooth headphone train yet?  Comes in every form factor and works great.

I am not yet.and have a decent amount of money tied up in wired headphones...I guess Ill go with the dongle solution so I can open up my phone options.  

Why does anyone really care about Android updates?  I can get myself all wound up about getting an update and in the final analysis it doesn't change much.  In a week or so, it's just a phone again.

Bloatware is kind of annoying, but it's easy enough to put it in the corner where you never see it and does anyone really need all 64GB of system storage (more accurately the few GB sacrificed to bloatware) and if you do, shouldn't you be putting that shit on an SD card?

Edited by TwiceHorn

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Why does anyone really care about Android updates?  I can get myself all wound up about getting an update and in the final analysis it doesn't change much.  In a week or so, it's just a phone again.

Bloatware is kind of annoying, but it's easy enough to put it in the corner where you never see it and does anyone really need all 64GB of system storage and if you do, shouldn't you be putting that shit on an SD card?

it used to matter a lot because the leap from android 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 etc was quite significant.  now the OS has become really mature. 

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

For me it was just about going backwards from being used to Pi..I'm not as concerned about up to the min updates. 

I went with a One Plus 6 vs 6T..should have it by Friday.  I keep the headphone jack and most of the reviews said the 6t wasn't a huge jump and several had issues with the movement of the fingerprint sensor to the front and the removal of the notification light.   I had a $50 credit with amazon so out the door it was only $380.  I'll keep traveling with my XL since its already a bit beat up but I like having two ready to go phones in case say your entire back back with current phone goes off the fishing boat and into the water in Belize. 

Edited by midtown

Have had the s10e for a little over a week. Really like it. Least amount of bloat I've had on a Samsung. Battery is good. Flat screen is good and the fingerprint scanner on the power button kicks the shit out of the in screen reader from what I'm reading.

Best Samsung phone I've had since the note 7 which is still the best phone I've ever had and it isn't close. New notes and plus phones are too fucking big. 

Why does anyone really care about Android updates? 

I only care when they change shit that didn't need changing or fuck something up.

My S9 (TMobile) recently upgraded to Pie with UI One. Some of the changes I've adapted to, but it seems that some of my apps now have volume issues with the alerts. I thought at first it was just my main app I use to deliver with as the alert comes as an alarm and even with the alarm volume all the way up I can barely hear it. This makes me miss a delivery chance. I even sent in a report to the app developer about it. But then I noticed that the FB alerts are also very low volume so it's definitely something with Pie. Both apps are updated to the most recent version and going into the app in Settings doesn't give me any options on changing the sound or volume. I even disabled the Do Not Disturb in case that was having something to do with it, but that didn't do anything. Pisses me off.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

it used to matter a lot because the leap from android 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 etc was quite significant.  now the OS has become really mature. 

I'd probably agree up until 6.  And while those updates were delayed here and there, they werent as long as they are now and there were no pure android devices. Updates since then have been kind of anticlimactic for my purposes.  I used to root phones too.  I don't really miss the inability to do that.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Thumbs up on this One Plus 6 so far.  Super zippy.  Battery is ridiculous..  Ive been on it all day setting it up and Im still at 42%.I had some issues getting fully activated on the FI network and had to spend some time with the FI peeps today.   The only thing I can see that I am missing is the free VPN fi has.   

On 3/18/2019 at 2:08 PM, midtown said:

i have a 2xl and see no need to upgrade for awhile. as long as google is releasing updates, the 2xl is a solid smartphone.

Unless I'm misinterpreting, this is under what the non official Fi phones won't get.

With Fi's Network Tools, phones designed for Fi can:

Stay on the best connection by transitioning among multiple networks

Automatically connect to secure, high-quality public Wi-Fi networks

Switch faster from Wi-Fi to data when Wi-Fi is poor

Protect sensitive information through a Fi VPN

Make Wi-Fi calls

These settings can be turned on or off at any time.

Those aren't insignificant features to be losing.

My phone upgraded to 9 yesterday. The settings menu seems a little ass backwards and things are harder to find. 

My biggest issue is actual text messages, MS Teams messages, etc do not show up on my lock screen. I get a notification and message icon only, then have to unlock and go into the app to read them. It is a pain. Is there a quick fix?

The S10+ has great battery life, the fingerprint sensor sucks in my opinion, but great battery life and incredible display. 
The s10+ is great 
How long have yall had them? Also, vzw wants $999 but best buy is $949 and unlocked. Why would you not get the unlocked one? Seems like resale value would be much better.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

How long have yall had them? Also, vzw wants $999 but best buy is $949 and unlocked. Why would you not get the unlocked one? Seems like resale value would be much better.

Unlocked in the US isn't great for Samsung phones as you can lose things like wifi calling, advanced LTE, visual voicemail, etc. Depends on your carrier.  You also get updates last on unlocked version, after every carrier. 

• Like 1

My phone upgraded to 9 yesterday. The settings menu seems a little ass backwards and things are harder to find. 
My biggest issue is actual text messages, MS Teams messages, etc do not show up on my lock screen. I get a notification and message icon only, then have to unlock and go into the app to read them. It is a pain. Is there a quick fix?
Settings > Lock Screen > Notifications
Turn "Hide Contents" off. I also set it as "Brief" so I get just the first line and then I can tap it if I want the whole thing.

On 3/19/2019 at 3:15 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I'd probably agree up until 6.  And while those updates were delayed here and there, they werent as long as they are now and there were no pure android devices. Updates since then have been kind of anticlimactic for my purposes.  I used to root phones too.  I don't really miss the inability to do that.

And Pie adds another who gives a fuck to android updates.  Who gives a fuck, except for the things they fucked up.

Edited by TwiceHorn

updates now are for the devs and for security.  with that said, i haven't notice a difference between the last 3 updates.  i've basically kept the same nova launcher homescreens since 2012ish.  i don't download stupid apps from the play store.  i don't surf pron from my phone.  i don't think i'm getting any phonaids any time soon.  updates are meh for me.  more often than not, they fuck up the phone.  or they apple the shit and purposely slow down your phone.  fuck updates.

• Like 1