Android Thread

Was there an Android update or did I fuck up the settings on my phone?  The three on-screen buttons at the bottom of my S8+ are now just little straight lines and they are much less responsive than the old buttons.  I sometimes have to press the back button two or three times before it works.

17 hours ago, Tom said:

Was there an Android update or did I fuck up the settings on my phone?  The three on-screen buttons at the bottom of my S8+ are now just little straight lines and they are much less responsive than the old buttons.  I sometimes have to press the back button two or three times before it works.

You can go back to on-screen buttons. Just search "navigation" in the settings search. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nightfly said:

You can go back to on-screen buttons. Just search "navigation" in the settings search. 

Found it.  Not sure how I even did that.  Must have accidentally done it when changing some other setting.  Thanks.

Anyone know of a good working SMS forwarding app? Google removed the one I was using from the Play store and the current version doesn't work for shit anymore. Just need something to forward incoming txt messages from my phone to a gmail account.
Is this so you can save text messages? Or so you can respond?

4 minutes ago, midtown said:
1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:
Anyone know of a good working SMS forwarding app? Google removed the one I was using from the Play store and the current version doesn't work for shit anymore. Just need something to forward incoming txt messages from my phone to a gmail account.

Is this so you can save text messages? Or so you can respond?

I just need to know if someone is texting me. I've tried to train all my friends/family/neighbors to use email, but they insist on behaving like teenage girls and using text for everything.

My phone isn't attached to me, but I'm almost always near something with email access.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I use google messages. But that doesn't help with android tablets/android car decks/etc.

Pushbullet will pop all sorts of notifications on all your devices.  And you can send links back and forth and whatnot and text from your computer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pushbullet will pop all sorts of notifications on all your devices.  And you can send links back and forth and whatnot and text from your computer.

Thanks. It's not compatible with half my shit, but I'll give it a shot if I can't find a basic working SMS forwarding app.

7 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I just need to know if someone is texting me. I've tried to train all my friends/family/neighbors to use email, but they insist on behaving like teenage girls and using text for everything.

My phone isn't attached to me, but I'm almost always near something with email access.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gawk.smsforwarder

• 3 months later...

My Pixel 3XL seems more sluggish than my Samsung S6, S7, and S8. It's only slightly noticeable, but it is. Maybe I just have a bunch of shit on there that is slowing it down. I've never looked into how to keep phones running optimally. 

And like Lob said, the battery ain't great. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

My Pixel 3XL seems more sluggish than my Samsung S6, S7, and S8. It's only slightly noticeable, but it is. Maybe I just have a bunch of shit on there that is slowing it down. I've never looked into how to keep phones running optimally. 

And like Lob said, the battery ain't great. 

I've been looking for a reason to get a Pixel but the hardware sucks compared to other phones.  Sucks that they gimp it.

However the new Pixel 4 may finally change things.  Looking forward to the 90Hz refresh rate.  Hope they finally focus on battery life.

• Like 1

My Pixel 3 is the biggest piece of shit phone I've owned and I've had nothing but Android phones.

Terrible connectivity with basically anything.

Google thinks they know how i should operate the phone, so constant suggestions and annoying shit and I'm constantly dealing with that shit.

Touch sensor to open the phone is garbage compared to LG and Samsung.

Battery sucks. If my phone shows 30% i probably have 5 minutes to plug it in before it shuts down. Literally goes from 30% to off in 5 minutes.

There's a lot of other things, but I've had this for a year and Google didn't offer a one year plan so I'm going to eat half the cost of the phone to get rid of this piece of shit.

Good camera with an awesome night mode. Truly amazing. Not worth the rest of it.

I didn't really like my LG V30 but it's twice the phone this Pixel 3 is.

• Like 1

I owned most of the Nexus phones and then the first Pixel XL.  I actually still have it and keep it as a back up.  Once I got tired of that I went with a One Plus 6 at the suggestion of someone on this thread and I've never looked back.    I'm debating a 7 but I really don't want to lose the headphone jack.  It's easily rootable and easily unbrickable.  One plus actually offer unbrcking software.  If you want the look and feel of Pixel there is a custom rom called Pixel experience. 

I don't know how the camera compare on specs but its pretty damn good so much that on a semi-recent vacation the girl I was with kept borrowing my phone over her iphone to take pictures.

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

i too have a oneplus, 6T.  GREAT phone, except a little too big for my liking.  quick and responsive as hell.  absolutely NO bloatware.  i would highly recommend Oneplus to anyone.  better still they update the OS on their phones on a semi quick basis and support old phones which is more than any other android manufacture not name google pixel.  this is where LG and samsung suck shit.

with that said, i still love my galaxy S8.  however, i did have to de-bloat the shit out of it.  samsung puts SO MUCH SHIT on their phones.  after i disabled i think over 60+ apks, it's almost as fast as my 6T which is two years newer.  i switch between the two on a regular basis just because i can.

9 hours ago, midtown said:

I owned most of the Nexus phones and then the first Pixel XL.  I actually still have it and keep it as a back up.  Once I got tired of that I went with a One Plus 6 at the suggestion of someone on this thread and I've never looked back.    I'm debating a 7 but I really don't want to lose the headphone jack.  It's easily rootable and easily unbrickable.  One plus actually offer unbrcking software.  If you want the look and feel of Pixel there is a custom rom called Pixel experience. 

I don't know how the camera compare on specs but its pretty damn good so much that on a semi-recent vacation the girl I was with kept borrowing my phone over her iphone to take pictures.

gcam does wonders for the oneplus camera.  if nothing more, get the gcam for the night sight.  way way way better than oneplus' implementation of low light shooting.  i use my gcam as my default camera.  much better pics overall, especially low light.

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Any thoughts on LG phones? I've been using Samsung galaxy line for the last 6-7 years but battery life always drives me nuts. I have AT&T and don't want to change.

they had a run of horrible phones: g2, g3, g4, and g5 all had major hardware issues.  and they are probably THE WORST oem about updating their phones.  i believe they have 1 or 2 phones, maybe more, which never received an Android OS upgrade.

the phones can be had for cheap.  i owned a g2, g3, and g4.  after that, i swore to never get another LG phone.  there's a reason they are struggling.

i think they addressed their hardware and quality control issues.  however, if you buy, you have been warned that your phone will prob never receive an android OS upgrade.  it *may* get security patches, but sporadic at best.

I'm a longtime user of LG v10 because of the feature set, and I would not recommend LG to anyone. As mentioned, their software support is nonexistent. They have no market share and aren't better hardware than anyone. They had repeated generations of bootloop issues from a fundamental design flaw, that they were either too incompetent or didn't care enough about the customer to actually correct in design (this includes my v10s, I've had 3 of them repaired due to bootloop). To their credit they're at least repairing my bootloops out of warranty.

Specific to your comments on battery life, look at the battery comparisons for new phones, LG isn't notable there: https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=9623#show

I suggest you look at OnePlus, maybe wait for their Oct10 announcement and see if you can get a deal on the current model.

45 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, my S8 is freezing and restarting with some annoying regularity.

I see some advice is to remove the SD card.  Anyone have any insight on this?

my guess is battery issue.  did you recently got the phone really hot?  heat will damage the battery very easily.

the other suggestion is the old stand by.  wipe and factory reset.

• Like 1

Reset it and now the thing is going completely goddamn berserk.  Losing it's connection, doing weird shit.

A lot of "checking device status."

I have yet to have an android phone take a shit, other than USB connectors.  Will equipment replacement fix this or should I start shopping?

Edited by TwiceHorn

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Reset it and now the thing is going completely goddamn berserk.  Losing it's connection, doing weird shit.

A lot of "checking device status."

I have yet to have an android phone take a shit, other than USB connectors.  Will equipment replacement fix this or should I start shopping?

are you on sprint?  found this thread.  before spending few hundred, i would try one more time to factory reset.  maybe something corrupted on the reset.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-8/879867-oero-update-sprint-omadm-checking-device-status.html

"So I cleared the system cache and then I lost internet .....did a full factory reset and now it works fine, message gone."

did your phone get a new update recently?

found another thread.  one guy fixed it be uninstalling and reinstalling google messaging.  solution looks to be on page 2 of the thread.

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung/Checking-device-status-Notification/td-p/1009022

if I did manage  to find the solution.....are you guys going to hire me lol ? ...in your device settings (will be different on other devices I know) Tap on connections scroll down find mobile networks Tap on that then tap on network mode if it's set to cdma or LTE/cdma ,,,etcetera ,,, Then tap on the automatic option. A prompt will let you know your device will restart hit yes and that should clear it up,,,,,now if it's all already set to auto then try the other options one by one ,,,,restart after restart lol you should know right away if that icon at the top is gone...if not give it like 20 mins .make sure your system is up to date. If this happened after an update then sprint sucks and you will have call them....which also blows because your on the phone for eternity and might get asked to send in your device or buy a new one my friend. OR take matters in your own hands,, void your warranty by flashing the STOCK ROM onto your phone. (Cell companies don't like this) but it's your phone right? Right. Email me if questions arise my people... [edited for privacy]

• Like 1

for this reason, towards the end of a 2 year life of a phone, i do not apply updates.  i do NOT trust OEMs.  they are in the business of selling phones, not extending the life of your older phone.  break phone, customer buys new phone.

on my s8, i think i'm on the april security update and froze system update apks.  i was tempted to finally update to the september update but you just reminded me why i shouldn't.

good luck.

• Like 1

I took it to a Sprint store, non-corporate, and the guy did several re-establish service things to it, some of which I'd seen or heard of, some of which I hadn't (dialpad things).  Between that and the hint crash provided, seems to be ok now.

We shall see.

I'm not seeing any great offers out there.  I bought this S8 direct from Samsung for 450.  The S10e is 10/month on the lease thingy, which is sort of reasonable.  The OnePlus 7Pro 5G is 20/month.  And there are the moto options, 7 and Zoom.  No way I'm doing more than about 20/month on any of those phones.

I tend to like to get 3-4 years out of the damn things if I can.  Not taking the security updates is probably a grand idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I took it to a Sprint store, non-corporate, and the guy did several re-establish service things to it, some of which I'd seen or heard of, some of which I hadn't (dialpad things).  Between that and the hint crash provided, seems to be ok now.

We shall see.

I'm not seeing any great offers out there.  I bought this S8 direct from Samsung for 450.  The S10e is 10/month on the lease thingy, which is sort of reasonable.  The OnePlus 7Pro 5G is 20/month.  And there are the moto options, 7 and Zoom.  No way I'm doing more than about 20/month on any of those phones.

I tend to like to get 3-4 years out of the damn things if I can.  Not taking the security updates is probably a grand idea.

yea every phone has dialpad codes that can give you access to system level functionalities on the phone including access to the calling features, screen and radio firmware, etc. 

he probably reset the radio antenna firmware.  i was going to suggest that but it would've taken me and you down a rabbit whole on xda.  we would've spent half the day trying to find the right commands.  sprint dudes did it in 5 mins.

don't upgrade.  i got a 6T in january.  it's a great phone.  but does nothing that my 2 year old s8 cannot do.  it's a little faster but nothing that would make me put away the s8 for good.  i switch betwixt the two every few days because i can.  if the 6T were the size of the s8, i may have switched for good.

it really does help the battery life and responsiveness of the s8 if you freeze all of the samsung shit that you do not use.  there's a fucking ton of it.  you have to pay $2-3 for the app but well worth it.  after that you just have to know which apps you can freeze.  if you fuck up and freeze a system app that you're not supposed to, the worst you can do is to have to factory reset your phone which is a pain in the ass but you cannot brick your phone.

or the simplest thing you can do is go into developer options (let me know if you don't know how to get there) and change animation scales to .5X.  your phone will magically feel snappier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

yea every phone has dialpad codes that can give you access to system level functionalities on the phone including access to the calling features, screen and radio firmware, etc. 

he probably reset the radio antenna firmware.  i was going to suggest that but it would've taken me and you down a rabbit whole on xda.  we would've spent half the day trying to find the right commands.  sprint dudes did it in 5 mins.

don't upgrade.  i got a 6T in january.  it's a great phone.  but does nothing that my 2 year old s8 cannot do.  it's a little faster but nothing that would make me put away the s8 for good.  i switch betwixt the two every few days because i can.  if the 6T were the size of the s8, i may have switched for good.

it really does help the battery life and responsiveness of the s8 if you freeze all of the samsung shit that you do not use.  there's a fucking ton of it.  you have to pay $2-3 for the app but well worth it.  after that you just have to know which apps you can freeze.  if you fuck up and freeze a system app that you're not supposed to, the worst you can do is to have to factory reset your phone which is a pain in the ass but you cannot brick your phone.

or the simplest thing you can do is go into developer options (let me know if you don't know how to get there) and change animation scales to .5X.  your phone will magically feel snappier.

Thanks.  

Whats the name of that freezing app?

I have and always do cut down the animations, typically to nothing.  I need to do that since the reset.

you can freeze

- most of the KNOX apps.  however those apps are related to security so ymma.  but i don't do pron or shaddy sites from my phone so i don't worry about security.  hard to fap to a 6 inch screen.  i'm too old to try.  but they are also use to collect data on you.

- most all of the Bixby apps.  don't freeze if you use bixby.  freezing these apps will also disable that stupid ass bixby button

- most all of the samsung apps.  however, if you use samsung pay or any samsung service, you will need to be careful which samsung apps you freeze.  i don't use any samsung apps except the apps needed to link with my samsung watch.

- i'm on tmobile so the bloat is minimal from tmo.  i know sprint has a shitton of bloat, especially sprint specific, on their phones.  not sure if/how freezing them will affect service.

i can give you screen shots of all the apps that i freeze.  again i hardly use any samsung service so keep that in mind.