Android Thread

google is using a really old *camera* that they understand really, really well. 

night sight is magic and samsung's version is a step back per xda review. 

and 4a/5g also doesn't have a long focal camera.  want a damn triple camera setup outback, damnit.

Edited by elfenix

I got a Pixel 4a and I'm not thrilled with it. The phone is smaller than my Moto Z2 and that's fine but the font is so fucking small that I can't read anything. And that's with the font size maxed out. Why on earth won't they let you make it as big as you want??? I don't want to have to carry readers with me, for fucks sake. Everything else is fine, I guess. I don't care about the camera or shit like that. 

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

I got a Pixel 4a and I'm not thrilled with it. The phone is smaller than my Moto Z2 and that's fine but the font is so fucking small that I can't read anything. And that's with the font size maxed out. Why on earth won't they let you make it as big as you want??? I don't want to have to carry readers with me, for fucks sake. Everything else is fine, I guess. I don't care about the camera or shit like that. 

That doesn't sound like an issue with the phone. 

8 hours ago, Sandman said:

jitterbug.jpg

pPXE8k1LATmReMFMKSyL4xZ-JaEFVRPUMPplSH9v

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2G0c4X3C-OWydeOoMHu8

I've got a problem with my Honda Accord reading text messages from my phone. When I get a text in my car, the car doesn't read the new text, but it reads a text from several months ago. Does anyone else have this problem? I did some googling and others have had the problem, but no one has a solution. This has happened with two different Android phones I've had. My wife's iphone works great in the car.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:38 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

I've got a problem with my Honda Accord reading text messages from my phone. When I get a text in my car, the car doesn't read the new text, but it reads a text from several months ago. Does anyone else have this problem? I did some googling and others have had the problem, but no one has a solution. This has happened with two different Android phones I've had. My wife's iphone works great in the car.

you have to get up to 88mph to get current texts

On 10/31/2020 at 4:39 PM, 52-80 said:

I keep reading that samsung phones always go on sale, always.  But is that tied to carrier plans and deals, or can you find unlocked plans on sale?

Want to buy someone a galaxy S10 or S20, non oversized version

Just looking at the samsung.com website you can get a discount on unlocked phones by trading in your old phone.  The newer the phone the higher trade in value.

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-s20-5g/buy/galaxy-s20-fe-5g-128gb-unlocked-sm-g781uzbmxaa/?skipDevice=galaxy-s20-fe-5g

Got a S20 5G for 650 straight up from the microsoft outlet store on eBay (yeah, figure that one out).  then ebay instantly suspended my account (wtf?) and had to chat to Vijay Singh to get it restored.

I think the S10e for 400 is a better deal without the edge display gimmick but the wife was drawn to it so who am I to judge

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have thoughts on the new Pixels? Phones are subsidized through work so I can get the 4a for the free, 4a 5G for $80 or the 5 for $150.
I have the 4a and like it. Had the 2 before that, and the Nexus 5x before that, and the Nexus 5 before that. So yeah, I'd take any of them for those prices without a second thought.

20 hours ago, immamac said:

How's the outside screen? 

Fairly worthless but surprisingly handy. I'm sure on the next version it will have a bigger one. 

But a quick double tap let's you see notifications, you can answer calls directly to speakerphone without opening the phone and you can also control your music without opening. 

Just now, pops said:

Fairly worthless but surprisingly handy. I'm sure on the next version it will have a bigger one. 

But a quick double tap let's you see notifications, you can answer calls directly to speakerphone without opening the phone and you can also control your music without opening. 

You didn't get the z flip 2? The next gen one is already out again. 

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

You didn't get the z flip 2? The next gen one is already out again. 

Z flip 5g. Only difference between the first one is the 5g and upgraded processor. Physically they are identical. 

I have the flip,  not the fold. 

Edited by pops

Question for any developers here or anyone that has experience with this. 

I recently rooted an old LG tablet and am going through and ADBing all the bloatware. 

Is the security app Lookout worth keeping around? Or is it useless. I'm not going to be using my device for banking or paying bills or anything. 

Asking because I'm less familiar with how security and antivirus works on Android than Windows - esp. on a rooted device. 

I think it's pretty worthless if you're not downloading new apps on it and just have a few trusted apps that you use regularly. 

LongIslandIceSIP on the old site knew more about mobile security and would know better but I don't think he made it over here unless he's on a new name.

On 11/15/2020 at 5:00 PM, pops said:

If it's handy, is it really worthless?

$28 Android Tablet. I don't have it but from the video below, it's surprisingly decent. Same SOC as the new Fire HD 8 and 8+. Shitty screen but it's 28 fucking dollars.

edit: I wouldn't conduct any financial transactions on it. But for a media, scroll on the shitter device, it's perfect.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-7-Tablet/930669857

Edited by crash_davis

Typed out a tl;dr post but decided to be straightforward -

Does android/samsung support sidetone or mic monitoring?  If I could invent the perfect headphones/earbuds, they would be the form factor of the bose soundsports (they stay in my ears) with the ability to hear my own voice on phone calls.

fuck2020 has me using my S9+ as my business phone system.

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Typed out a tl;dr post but decided to be straightforward -

Does android/samsung support sidetone or mic monitoring?  If I could invent the perfect headphones/earbuds, they would be the form factor of the bose soundsports (they stay in my ears) with the ability to hear my own voice on phone calls.

fuck2020 has me using my S9+ as my business phone system.

I think you're looking for earbuds with audio passthrough. 

Look for that functionality in the link.

https://observer.com/2020/11/best-true-wireless-earbuds-of-2020/

On 11/17/2020 at 1:10 PM, Viper said:

OnePlus Buds will be $1 tomorrow

Man, what a shitshow that was... one minute before each "release" of coupons for discounted earbuds (there was one an hour), the website would crash. 

The joys of technology, I guess.

9 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

Man, what a shitshow that was... one minute before each "release" of coupons for discounted earbuds (there was one an hour), the website would crash. 

The joys of technology, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

they were gone within seconds each time. My clock wasn't even a minute after by the time I got it to load and it said all the coupons were gone.

figured that was going to be the case so i didn't bother trying. 

On 10/31/2020 at 4:39 PM, 52-80 said:

I keep reading that samsung phones always go on sale, always.  But is that tied to carrier plans and deals, or can you find unlocked plans on sale?

Want to buy someone a galaxy S10 or S20, non oversized version

I got my S8 for 450 about 9 months after release direct from Samsung.  And I got to "finance" it interest-free for 24 months.  That was a shaggy deal someone pointed out.

I haven't seen a deal like that since, though, and couldn't find anything close last year when I was in need.

Also required a trade-in.

Edited by TwiceHorn

How the fuck do I turn off this unwanted and unnecessary "feature" such that any time I use the Search Widget, Google insists on displaying all of the my apps whose names contain that letter or string of letters? 

I feel like this was some bullshit "improvement" once in the past and I eventually figured out how to make it fuck off, but I am at a total loss this time around after an update this morning. 

I have a Samsung S10. 

Screenshot_20201120-201238_Google.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
Fuck Google in the goatass.

54 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

How the fuck do I turn off this unwanted and unnecessary "feature" such that any time I use the Search Widget, Google insists on displaying all of the my apps whose names contain that letter or string of letters? 

I feel like this was some bullshit "improvement" once in the past and I eventually figured out how to make it fuck off, but I am at a total loss this time around after an update this morning. 

I have a Samsung S10. 

Screenshot_20201120-201238_Google.jpg

At one time, there were multiple google search widgets.  One was mostly for searching locally on the phone and one was more of the google app search box.  That appears to be the google app search box.  If so, you can go to settings general personal and turn off searching apps.

I think that's how I fixed it in the past, and the checkbox remains unchecked, yet this is still happening. 

It's not a tremendous inconvenience or anything, but I don't feel like I need to see a partial alphabetical presentation of my installed apps a hundred times a day. 

And I just hate all of the "forced integration" for lack of a better term such that every single thing is constantly and perniciously trying to merge with every other thing in an unquenchable lust to monetize my every thumb- or keystroke. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I need either a new phone or a new service.

Currently on a One Plus 6 with Project Fi.  My 6 is starting to get a bit slow and wonky.  I've factory reset and everything.  I have two choices.

1.  Stay on project fi but that means I can't keep with OnePlus.   They aren't compatible anything higher than 6T.

2.  Get a OnePlus 8 Pro and switch away from Fi.   I really don't want to do this because I like Fi and especially the international coverage.

I'm not hearing great things about the Pixel 5.   Does anyone know of a service with great international coverage? or a Fi phone that is really good?

5 minutes ago, midtown said:

I need either a new phone or a new service.

Currently on a One Plus 6 with Project Fi.  My 6 is starting to get a bit slow and wonky.  I've factory reset and everything.  I have two choices.

1.  Stay on project fi but that means I can't keep with OnePlus.   They aren't compatible anything higher than 6T.

2.  Get a OnePlus 8 Pro and switch away from Fi.   I really don't want to do this because I like Fi and especially the international coverage.

I'm not hearing great things about the Pixel 5.   Does anyone know of a service with great international coverage? or a Fi phone that is really good?

Pixel 5 seems like a pretty good phone, but maybe a little overpriced because of the mmWave radio 

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/11/03/the-google-pixel-5-has-won-me-over/

The Pixel 5, in a very short amount of time, has erased a number of years worth of all-glass stress. I spend a lot of time cooking (scary water!), working out in my garage (scary dirt!), and playing with my son (scary outdoor nature and elements!). This non-glass body and IP rating is the perfect combo for someone like me who really needed a phone that’s more tool than show piece.

I’m starting to find less and less issues with performance too. The weird thing there is that I’ve complained about two of Google’s phones this year as having spotty performance, this being one, yet this morning I did the opposite to myself. I was using my Galaxy Fold 2 and noticed a stutter or hiccup when exiting an app and flipping into the app switcher and grumbled. I then put it down and grabbed the Pixel 5, swiping around a few times to only to note how much better it felt.

This month-long journey with the Pixel 5 has been an interesting one.

What’s funny about everything I just wrote here is that it’s almost as if “Review Mode” Kellen was right when he said that this phone nails the basics as a no nonsense tool that “Personal Phone Mode” Kellen might actually enjoy, assuming I could stomach its price. I guess we know the answer to that.

there also seem to be some good deals for Samsung Galaxy S21's and s20's

https://fi.google.com/about/phones

Edited by Viper

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For better or worse, I have used a cache cleaner on Android for years.  It annoys me to see free storage just vanish/decrease for no apparent reason.

The latest variant I have been using is CCleaner.  I had it on my phone and the phone upgraded to 10, and it still works fully, cleaning each app's cache individually (showing the app info screen along the way).

I got a surprise upgrade to 10 on my tablet, and it won't do the individual app cache cleaning anymore.  Neither will any of the various others that I have tried.

I know google screws around with this kind of thing and Dalvik cache wiping is no longer a thing.  Will garbage collection on Android eventually clean this shit up or do I have to just wait until it gets distressingly full and do it app by app?