Android Thread

10 minutes ago, midtown said:

Anyone having issues with the Pro/Fi and messages?    Messages are not synching well.   Some times they sync sometimes they dont

what does Fi use for messages? Voice, Chat, or Message? I noticed my Chat can come in a few seconds late sometimes.

5 hours ago, Viper said:

The 5a will be $400 on black friday

https://store.google.com/?hl=en-US#Promo Grid 1/3

I have the 6pro and it's been great. The in display fingerprint scanner is an annoyance but not a bad one, it's just a step down from the rear fingerprint scanner. The size is large which was not what I was used to coming from a regular sized pixel 3. Battery life improved after a week or so. Charging is slow compared to an S21 or OnePlus, it will top out at 23W and slow down after 50% battery. If you want the best camera, try for the Pro at $900, if you want a good camera, then the regular 6 is an amazing value at $600

Saw something this morning about some 6Pro users stating that if the phone battery completely discharged, it borked their fingerprint scanners.  No personal experience with this, but it's out there at the  moment.

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Saw something this morning about some 6Pro users stating that if the phone battery completely discharged, it borked their fingerprint scanners.  No personal experience with this, but it's out there at the  moment.

saw that too. only fix was a factory reset. hoping this and the charging get fixed via a security update. a face unlock ability via a pixel feature drop would be nice too

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Viper said:

saw that too. only fix was a factory reset. hoping this and the charging get fixed via a security update. a face unlock ability via a pixel feature drop would be nice too

The scanner on the P5 is pretty flaky.  I think it's just really sensitive to oil/dirt/smooge.  No matter how many times I redo the print or how many different samples I put in, I have to rub it with my finger pretty good before I lay it down to wipe it off.  The P2 just needed no imprints every so often.

22 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Been reading this thread for a few pages, Current phone is Galaxy 9+

What Android phone would give me a dramatically improved performance/experience?

I'm seeing some enthusiasm for the Pixel 6 pro from some of you, any other phones to consider?

Verizon is my carrier.

I've got Verizon and upgraded from a Pixel 3 which I liked other than battery life to a Pixel 6 Pro and really like the new phone. Battery like has been way, way better for me and larger screen took some time to get used to mainly from holding or in pocket, but love it and the stock google case for it.

Verizon had/has? a $350 off trade in special for existing users on it so I couldn't resist.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Can anyone recommend a wireless charging pad that actually charges reasonably fast?  I got a newish Galaxy.

I got this Samsung 15W fast charger from Amazon a month or so ago.  For some reason, the price has increased by $20.  Works fine, though.  Obviously not as fast as the corded charger.

22 hours ago, crash_davis said:

what is the max wireless charging speed?

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJjb250ZW50Lmhzd3N0YXRpYy5j

https://www.androidauthority.com/fast-charging-explained-2-889780/

pretty detailed article on charging in general.  

Wireless charging has similar principles and hurdles as wired fast-charging. Devices still require a fast-chargeable battery and a method for communicating information from the gadget to the charger. Then, there’s the added complication of efficiently transferring a large amount of power over the air.

Qi (pronounced chee) is the most broadly adopted standard in the mobile wireless charging space. Just like USB PD, the standard has undergone several revisions, improving the standard’s power capabilities and communication use cases. Qi also implements reverse wireless charging, allowing phones to slow-charge other wireless gadgets.

Qi version 1.0, released in 2010, provided just 5W of power. Over the years, that has expanded to 10W, 15W, 30W, and even 65W of power for larger devices. However, in the smartphone space, 15W tends to be the upper limit, with many devices opting for slower 10W and 7.5W configurations. So, Qi is still slower than wired charging.

Apple also introduced its own proprietary wireless charging technology with MagSafe in 2020. MagSafe also charges at 15W, making it slower than the iPhone 12’s 20W of wired power provided by USB Power Delivery.

However, there’s a growing market for much faster proprietary wireless charging standards, especially among Chinese brands. Oppo boasts 65W wireless SuperVooc, OnePlus has its 50W Warp Charge, and Huawei has its 40W technology, just to name just a few. 100W wireless charging and beyond is also touted, but we’re yet to see the technology appear in commercial products.

The key to faster wireless charging is to use more coils for transferring the current over the air. However, this has the side effect of costing more to implement, taking up more space, and increasing charging temperatures. While fast wireless charging is clearly possible, it’s not the most efficient way to quickly charge up smartphones and other gadgets.

• 3 weeks later...

I need a new phone. Not trying to break the bank. Going from a Galaxy S9. 

I was just going to grab a refurbished S10 or maybe S10+ for a couple hundred bucks. Any reason I shouldn't do this? It looks like there is twice as much RAM on the S10 so guessing it would be a very noticeable upgrade. 

Should I look away from Samsung? Budget is maybe $250. 

Also - noticed my 4g service has been getting sportier in certain areas. Is there a phone that would alleviate that to a higher degree than something else?

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

I was just going to grab a refurbished S10 or maybe S10+ for a couple hundred bucks. Any reason I shouldn't do this? It looks like there is twice as much RAM on the S10 so guessing it would be a very noticeable upgrade. 

Also - noticed my 4g service has been getting sportier in certain areas. Is there a phone that would alleviate that to a higher degree than something else?

I've had two Motorola phones that I have been quite happy with.  I'm a bit of a geek, but when I get honest about not needing the best camera or fastest processor, under $200 looks mighty good.  Everything I had prior was top-of-the-line.

Knowing that when it gives out, I don't have to creep around looking for good deals on premium phones and can just replace it for another under $200 is noice.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Had an s10e and loved the smaller  size. Just easier to deal with. I wouldn't hesitate getting one.

I have the z flip now because I like the pocketability but I'm an idiot for dropping a grand on a phone every year. 

Phones are too fucking big. Honestly thinking about saying fuck it and selling this and getting the new iPhone se in a couple months. I hate big phones. They suck. 

Edited by pops
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

So does Chrome for Android suck big green donkey dicks or what?  I have DDG as the default search engine and many times when I type a search into the address/search bar nothing happens.  Tab groups are fucking dumb, too.  And chrome://flags is one of several things that I type in and hit enter/search and nothing fucking happens.

WTF google.

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So does Chrome for Android suck big green donkey dicks or what?  I have DDG as the default search engine and many times when I type a search into the address/search bar nothing happens.  Tab groups are fucking dumb, too.  And chrome://flags is one of several things that I type in and hit enter/search and nothing fucking happens.

WTF google.

I use ddg for my browser now. There are some hiccups but I fight through it. Only reason I open chrome is if I'm googling an address or a company. Ddg uses apple maps and they fucking suck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:

Best earbuds for Android phones? Any ones close Airpods, especially the feature that turns them off when you take them out of your ear.

I think most bluetooth earbuds do that now.  If you just want to listen to stuff and not talk on the phone, I have had a good experience with these, for really cheap. https://www.jlab.com/collections/true-wireless/products/go-air-pop-true-wireless-earbuds

My understanding is that the microphone for talking on the phone isn't very good.  Jlab gets pretty good reviews for most of their products.

• Like 1

I have some cheap ones, and some more expensive ones for my Galaxy-- current favorites are the Jabra Elite Active 75ts.  Think I bought renewed on Amazon (Jabra sells directly through Amazon) for $100 or so.  Been using Jabra products since the early 00's- good company.

• Like 2

Anyone on Verizon, having data/ speed connection issues since they started turning on 5G? 

Have a Galaxy S21, and 5G sim card.  Don't pay for the super duper 5G service, cheap plan, but, 5G Nationwide is included. And, am centrally located in the 5G area.  Seems like the old days on the voice side- when you'd be outside of tower range, and the service would keep trying to connect, with bad connectivity, and would never switch over to roam.  Or, in this case, data/ voice back to 4G LTE.

Not sure if the Galaxies have weak modems/ antennas.  But, am going to swap out to a 4G sim and see if that helps at all. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2022 at 10:26 AM, LosIllini said:

Anyone on Verizon, having data/ speed connection issues since they started turning on 5G? 

Have a Galaxy S21, and 5G sim card.  Don't pay for the super duper 5G service, cheap plan, but, 5G Nationwide is included. And, am centrally located in the 5G area.  Seems like the old days on the voice side- when you'd be outside of tower range, and the service would keep trying to connect, with bad connectivity, and would never switch over to roam.  Or, in this case, data/ voice back to 4G LTE.

Not sure if the Galaxies have weak modems/ antennas.  But, am going to swap out to a 4G sim and see if that helps at all. 

Yeah, connectivity issues definitely started for me when Verizon 5g towers came on line. Enough so that I've been looking to switch.  Speed hasn't been issue just no service, no sms ability (multiple times).  I'm on Pixel 6 and on border of 5g area.

9 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Anyone have experience selling a used phone or a company you recommend? I don't want to deal with Craigslist, would rather sell for less to a bidness and just get my money. Unlocked S2p Ultra 512gb

I've used Swappa. I had to return a phone because it wasn't unlocked like it said and it was a pretty easy process.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone know of a Bluetooth manager app that will let me do stuff like if x device is present always connect to x unless manual override. If x is not present connect to y.

When I have my earbuds on and I leave the house to go pick up the kids or go to the gym I don't want it to switch to the car. But it's pretty annoying to have to go into Bluetooth settings every time before I get into the car to tell it to not connect to my vehicle for media or phone. 

3 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Anyone know of a Bluetooth manager app that will let me do stuff like if x device is present always connect to x unless manual override. If x is not present connect to y.

When I have my earbuds on and I leave the house to go pick up the kids or go to the gym I don't want it to switch to the car. But it's pretty annoying to have to go into Bluetooth settings every time before I get into the car to tell it to not connect to my vehicle for media or phone. 

I've never run across one yet but wish one existed. It seems like it would already since they do something similar with wifi.  The big difference I guess is that bluetooth can be connected to multiple devices simultaneously. 

The only workaround I have read about that may or may not get you closer to what you want is to turn on "developer options" and then set the "maximum connected bluetooth audio devices" to 1 (default is 5).  I haven't tried this yet, but supposedly it will prevent your phone from connecting to 2nd device and switching to it if it already has an active connection.  

10 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

No shit. I installed it earlier. Messed with it for about 30 seconds and decided I'd be best served trying to figure it out on the couch tonight when I have a spare couple of hours. Then again I went to Michigan State so maybe you all will have better luck. Pos rep to 52-80 though. 

There's probably a better way to do it but I think I have it working. 

Go to Tasks tab > Add task > Bluetooth Connection > (Ignore output variables) > Under Action select "Disconnect" > Under Device select (Vehicle Name)

Done here

Go to Profiles tab > Add Profile > Select "State" > Select "BT Connected" > Under Name search for (earbud device name)

That's it. Profile should be active but if not toggle it on. I tested, put the earbuds on, went out to the car, turned it on. It disconnected from my earbuds for a second, saw the tasker lightning bolt in my status bar saying it had done its magic, and I hit the button on my earbuds and was back in business. It seems I can manually override by selecting Pixel 6 in my car as the media source but I'm guessing that would be music only at that point, and hitting the play button again on my buds switched it back to them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/27/2022 at 6:52 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, connectivity issues definitely started for me when Verizon 5g towers came on line. Enough so that I've been looking to switch.  Speed hasn't been issue just no service, no sms ability (multiple times).  I'm on Pixel 6 and on border of 5g area.

Finally gave up on Verizon and switched over to ATT.  Much better speeds, and sms/mms and chat functions don't timeout when sending pics from inside the house.  Running a Galaxy S21.

In the heart of VZW LTE area/ and border a pretty strong 5G area.  Can walk down the street and get 100+Mbps download speeds, but, barely get 1Mbps w/ terrible ping in my yard.  Did all the troubleshooting- my street is just a deadzone.  Turns out a couple of neighbors have experienced the bad coverage too.

Edited by LosIllini

12 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Note that Google Fi on their domestic "strictly unlimited" plan is also a fairly cheap $20ea (+fees) if you have 4 people.

The difference (AFAIK) is that Google Fi requires those 4 people to be on one account, with 1 person paying the bill. I tried to do this with 3 neighbors and it was a fucking pain in the ass.

With Visible, you can hook up with 3 random people on Reddit and you all pay your individual bill.

On 9/17/2022 at 8:48 AM, LosIllini said:

Finally gave up on Verizon and switched over to ATT.  Much better speeds, and sms/mms and chat functions don't timeout when sending pics from inside the house.  Running a Galaxy S21.

In the heart of VZW LTE area/ and border a pretty strong 5G area.  Can walk down the street and get 100+Mbps download speeds, but, barely get 1Mbps w/ terrible ping in my yard.  Did all the troubleshooting- my street is just a deadzone.  Turns out a couple of neighbors have experienced the bad coverage too.

Why do you need cell data in your house?