Colorado with kids

shnsajax

We've stayed in Breckenridge and Vail but really prefer Breckenridge.   Vail is spread out along I-70 and doesn't really have a decent "downtown."   Breckenridge is also close to Frisco, Dillon and Silverthorne.   These are more residential and not near the ski runs.   They have stuff like a Wal-Mart, Lowe's and other shopping.   Breckenridge has a decent grocery store so for the most part there's not much of a reason to be in Frisco.  Other than excursions, we have found ourselves content to hang out in Breck and relax at the house or go for a walk in the afternoon.     There are a lot of things to do in Breck with kids that age.

Make sure to check the calendar before/when deciding to go.   There are festivals at different times and can cause traffic/congestion.   There is only one road from I-70 through Breck and one out the other direction (Colorado 9).   There's a beer festival in July.   Never been but have heard it draws a crowd.   There is also a fairly nice art festival in late July.   That doesn't shut down parts of town like the beer festival does. 

Main Street, as the name implies, is the main drag with restaurants, art galleries, t-shirt shops, etc.   It's a decent stroll with some stuff to look at/window shop.    

The area we stay in is right at the south end of "downtown".   I can't find the exact house but here's a similar house in the same neighborhood:   This House Has it All - Value, Location, an... - VRBO   Those houses are almost all three bedroom with nice decks and 3 bathrooms too.   They are a 5 minute walk to Main Street.   We try to eat at the house as much as possible.   There are some really good restaurants in Breck but they are pricey.   There is zero fast food in Breck.   You have to drive back to Frisco.   The main grocery store (called City Market but it's really a Kroger) has everything you'll need.  It's on the north end of town and not within walking distance of the neighborhood we stay but it's only a few minutes by car.   There is another grocery store within walking distance but it has Whole Foods vibe and is kind of over priced.   They do have a decent liquor store next door (as does City Market).   Friday afternoon and Saturday morning are the worst times to hit the store since Denverites are in town for the weekend.

Breck is within a 20-30 minute drive of several different hikes of various difficulties.   If you drive up to Boreas Pass (the road is right by the house) there's a really fun hike from an old train stop.   BUT.... the drive up there is  little hairy.  About 2/3 of it is on a single lane road with occasional pull outs or wide shoulders for passing.   So you might end up having to back up or pull over to let a car pass.   If anyone is a white knuckle driver/rider, this may not be worth it.   Right at the edge of town is an old mining area (Iowa Hill) with a hike through the old equipment.   Pretty easy to do.   There is also Continental Falls.   This is a pretty hike and the falls are awesome but it's a trek.   A lot of the hiking will depend on what kind of shape your in.  McCullough Gulch is south of town and a pretty hike too.    From the Fun Park, you can take a ski lift up some trails.   One of these is a fairly level trail along the Ten Mile Range.   If you want to really wear yourself out, you can hike to the top of Peak 9.   The view is amazing.   You can see Rocky Mountain National Park to the north and look down into Copper Mountain.  Word of warning...  this was the hardest hike I have ever done.   It up hill the entire way.   And the descent is a pain.   But the view is more than worth it.   Toddlers aren't going to be too keen on hiking but  who knows.

If you're really adventurous, the drive up Independence Pass toward Aspen is breath taking.   But other than the Maroon Bells hike (which is spectacular) there's not a lot to do over in Aspen and it's a good 2 hour drive each way.   The Independence Pass route, while two lane and in good shape, has some sheer drop offs that are a little scary.   I don't mind windy roads but I wouldn't drive this in the dark.   You can come back on I-70 from Aspen but that adds some time.

As with everything in a ski town, the paid activities can be a little pricey but the ones below are worth it in my opinion.  Weekends will be busier and more hectic since everybody from the Denver area flocks to the mountains then.        

Check out the Breck Fun Park.   In the summer this has a couple of fun things to do.   We normally only do this once and avoid going on a weekend day as that will be busier.  You can walk to the Gondola from town and ride that it up.   Some of things are more geared toward younger kids but the coaster, Alpine slide and zip line are a lot of fun for everybody.  You can also rent bikes and ride the trails.   I did that last time we were there and it was a blast.  But keep in mind, these are dirt paths and some times single track.   The last run of the day, I went down the hardest one and ate it several times before I decided that I was going to have to walk down a ways.   The other runs back toward the Fun Park are much easier.  If you only opt to do the Fun Park stuff, your kids are old enough to do everything by themselves so you might up just buying them passes for what they want to do (there are different levels) and then you can sit outside the lodge, be home base and drink beer.   Not that I know anything about that.  

There are bike rentals places who will take you up to Vail Pass.  You ride down the pass back  to Frisco, Dillon, or if you're really ambitious, Breck or Keystone (depending on where you rented your bikes from.)   If you decide just to stop in Frisco, they'll pick you and take you back to where you rented from.   This is one of my favorite things to do.   It's almost completely downhill, paved and more than wide enough for passing.  Nothing stupidly dangerous but there are a few places where your going to use your brakes.  I've had Campbell on a tandem with me each time and it wasn't hard all.   There's a stream that runs along the path for a ways and some beaver dams.   We've seen big horn sheep and elk.    Overall, it's just a fun ride.   Highly recommended.    You can tandem the kids on the backs of your bikes and it's super easy to do.

There's an old mine that you can tour.   It's 10-15 minutes from Main Street by car.   Also a little pricey.   Just looked at the prices and I don't remember it being as high but it's kind of cool and you can try your hand at gold panning at the end.   This is actually a good thing to do if it's a rainy day.  

Speaking of rain, in the summer they have afternoon thunderstorms but it almost never rains all day.   But pay attention to the weather.   You do not want to be stuck out on a hike or somewhere outside when one comes in.   Been there, done that and it was one of the scariest moments of my life.  Weather forecasts are pretty spot on so if there's a chance of afternoon showers, plan your activity around it and you're good. 

There are power and pontoon boat rentals on Lake Dillon.   We brought lunch and drinks and rode around the lake.  There's no swimming (and the water is pretty cold any ways) but it was relaxing and every now and then we just cut the motor and drifted for a while.   There's no white water rafting in Breck but there are several places within 60-90 minutes to go.   If you have never done this, I highly suggest it.   How much white water will depend on when you go.  By late July it's fairly tame but still worth it.      Kids cant do the real hard ones but you can still do some that will get you wet and be fun.   We've done Brown's Canyon and the Colorado River.  Brown's Canyon had more rapids but was not a massive amount of work.  But.... with toddlers, you're not going rafting.

There's a pizza place in town called Downstairs at Eric's.  They have a decent arcade with video games (classics like Galaga and Pacman), skee ball, pin ball and other stuff like that.   We probably do it 2-3 times during each trip.   You can play at the arcade without having to eat.   They have a fairly good beer selection too.   They advertise 30 beers on tap and probably 10-12 are local Colorado things or stuff you wont find down here.   

Broken Compass Brewing is on the north end of town.   They have a small tap room and brew some "different" things but it was all good.   Most of the places around town carry their stuff.  

The Breckenridge Brewery has pretty good food and I like their beer even if they did sell out to Bud.   They have some stuff on tap that you wont find anywhere else.  

The Breckenridge Tap House may have the best beer selection in town.   They also have fairly good street tacos and is reasonably priced.  

The Canteen has kind of a pub feel but good food and decent beer selection.  

South Ridge Seafood.   This is very good.  Pricey.   

Some stuff on getting there if driving...   The drive is pretty damn boring until you get past Amarillo.   It's a two day drive unless you just feel like spending 18 hours in the car.  We like the Residence Inn on the west side of Amarillo.   They have 1 and 2 bedroom suites that are reasonable on price and you get a buffet type breakfast.   From Houston, don't take any other route to Amarillo other I-45 to 287 and then I-40.   There is a route that takes your through Abilene and other smaller towns.   Don't do that.    Unless there's some massive road closure or something, stick to the main route.   Coming out of Amarillo you can take I-40 west almost all the way to I-25 but this adds on a lot of time.   Take US 385 north out of Vega to US 87 in Dalhart.   This will eventually connect with I-25 at Raton, NM.   If coming from Austin/SA, take 35 to 287.     DO NOT take the NW route though Brownfield, etc.   Major time killer.

About 2-3 hours NW of Amarillo is the Capulin Volcano National Monument.  This is an extinct cinder cone volcano.   You can drive up to the crater and then walk the crater edge.   It's pretty cool, a good way to stretch your legs without being too strenuous and because the National Park system is awesome, cheap.  $7 for a car load.  

Once you get to Colorado you can take I-25 all the way to Denver and then take I-70 into the mountains.  Unless you have some reason to be in Denver, skip this route.  There's a better than average chance that you will get stuck in traffic especially on I-70 during the weekend or I-25 on the week days.   The way to go is US 50 west at Pueblo to Colorado 9.   That takes you right into Breckenridge.   9 connects to I-70 at Frisco.   That takes you to Denver if you end up going that way.   

Also consider a detour along the way and stop at Great Sand Dunes National Park.  If you go there, you would take US 160 west at Walsenburg to Colorado 150.   We did this last time and stayed a night in Alamosa.   The Sand Dunes were pretty cool and there's a (relatively) easy hike to a waterfall (Zapata Falls) near there too.   The road to the trail head is unpaved, rocky and very bumpy.  But once you get to the parking area, it's a 30 minute or so hike to the Falls and you can walk right up to it.   We picnicked our lunch before the hike at the trail head.   There are picnic tables and a bathroom there.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The narrow gauge train to Silverton is a beating.  Incredible scenery for sure and the novelty of being on a train is cool... for a while.  It's 3.5 hours each way plus 2 hours in Silverton which is a lame touristy Branson-looking place.  Just a bunch of cheesy restaurants and souvenir shops.  I'm glad I took the train ride... once... as an adult without kids.  I took the bus shuttle back to Durango but even with that, I won't do it again.  If it was about 45 minutes each way it'd be perfect.    

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Your Mom said:

The narrow gauge train to Silverton is a beating.  Incredible scenery for sure and the novelty of being on a train is cool... for a while.  It's 3.5 hours each way plus 2 hours in Silverton which is a lame touristy Branson-looking place.  Just a bunch of cheesy restaurants and souvenir shops.  I'm glad I took the train ride... once... as an adult without kids.  I took the bus shuttle back to Durango but even with that, I won't do it again.  If it was about 45 minutes each way it'd be perfect.    

It is much more fun to take the train to Silverton and get off halfway and go for a hike. Lots of places to explore that would otherwise be inaccessible.

Silverton is ok, especially for kids at 3 and 5, you can do the mine tour which is fun, a jeep tour, there is a nice ice cream shop.

Telluride is a fantastic town any time of the year, but is expensive. Lots to do, stay in Mountain Village, free gondola to town and tons of good music comes through there. Never taken my kids there, but another spot with plenty of tourist trap shops.

The drive from Durango to Ouray can be fun, not sure a 3 and 5 year old would appreciate it.

Pagosa is nice, tends to be on the cheaper side and closer to Texas. The hot springs are fun, but you will smell of sulfur for a good 24-48 hours. Tons of fun hikes and fishing to do.

Cortez is a shithole.

There is a quick and dirty on SW Colorado.

• 4 weeks later...

we stayed with our kids - 2 and 4 - in Frisco this summer. It was great, cheaper than the other places, and we had a big house with a yard. It's a nice central spot - we did one afternoon at Copper Mountain, where the fun park was mostly free, and one afternoon at Breckenridge, where the fun park was ridiculously priced.  But, kids had a blast at both. I think next time we would stay in Breckenridge for the convenience of being close/walking distance to so much, but we did really enjoy Frisco.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:54 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

We did lots of Colorado ski trips and summer trips with the kids, but I'll be damned if they don't talk about their childhood memories of this place more than the mountains now that they are grown-ups:  http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

It's like Pancho's on steroids.

• Like 1

Definitely the way to go or do the hiking option. I can't imagine riding the train there and back.

• 1 year later...

Our big trip to the Netherlands and Scotland got canceled with the virus so we decided to social distance in Colorado for a month starting memorial day weekend. We found a place in Fraser/Winter Park and taking the dog and kid. Rocky Mountain national park is essentially in the backyard. Any recs for day trips? Kiddo is 6 and would love to take him fishing and hiking to see wildlife, but also just looking to do cool things in general. 

37 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Our big trip to the Netherlands and Scotland got canceled with the virus so we decided to social distance in Colorado for a month starting memorial day weekend. We found a place in Fraser/Winter Park and taking the dog and kid. Rocky Mountain national park is essentially in the backyard. Any recs for day trips? Kiddo is 6 and would love to take him fishing and hiking to see wildlife, but also just looking to do cool things in general. 

Go to Lawn Lake in RMNP. Little bit of a hike but well worth the view and nice fishing as well. Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Noice, I have been up here quarantining since March 1st, welcome.

You better hope short term rentals are allowed by then. As of today, they are banned in Grand County through May 21.

Just now, Chewbacca said:
17 minutes ago, TexanTraveling said:

Noice, I have been up here quarantining since March 1st, welcome.

You're not supposed to be anywhere in the CO mountains right now. Not even if you own a second home up there.

Yea and were also not suppose to pay monies to sleep with womenz

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Read more  

You better hope short term rentals are allowed by then. As of today, they are banned in Grand County through May 21.

Its booked as of yesterday. They started doing phased opening and were told there shouldn't be issues. Went through airbnb and a real estate agent. ::shrug::

Its booked as of yesterday. They started doing phased opening and were told there shouldn't be issues. Went through airbnb and a real estate agent. ::shrug::
And if they extend the ban, they will cancel your reservation. That is what they did to people booked in the first part of May when they extended the ban from May 1 to May 21 last week.

That said, there is likely going to be a lot of pressure to get things going by Memorial Day so you're probably ok.

The state health dept has actually advised people not to visit mountain towns and rural areas in Colorado. I guess you didn't' hear about the Mexican nationals who went on a skiing trip near Vail and basically brought back COVID with them. But hey knock yourself out, lol. 

The state health dept has actually advised people not to visit mountain towns and rural areas in Colorado. I guess you didn't' hear about the Mexican nationals who went on a skiing trip near Vail and basically brought back COVID with them. But hey knock yourself out, lol. 
He doesn't care. He's special.

All short term rentals, housing less than 8 people, are now allowed. We rented a house on several acres out of town and plan to work from home there and hike/bike/fish etc..... away from people as much we can. Trying to avoid crowded areas at all costs until there are vaccines. Should be safer up there than here in Austin. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

All short term rentals, housing less than 8 people, are now allowed. We rented a house on several acres out of town and plan to work from home there and hike/bike/fish etc..... away from people as much we can. Trying to avoid crowded areas at all costs until there are vaccines. Should be safer up there than here in Austin. 
Depends on the county. Grand County is not allowing any sort term rentals until May 21.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:09 PM, Updawg said:
On 12/3/2018 at 6:50 PM, Your Mom said:

Definitely the way to go or do the hiking option. I can't imagine riding the train there and back.

Yeah you don't have to ride all the way to Silverton. They offer a ride that goes about halfway, then you stop for a bit, stretch your legs, maybe get a bite to eat, then go back to Durango. We all loved it. The scenery is nothing short of spectacular.

Edited by wood

On 4/28/2020 at 5:55 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 4/28/2020 at 4:54 PM, SmokeyTheBear said:

Depends on the county. Grand County is not allowing any sort term rentals until May 21.

you are probably the most boring person on this site......

20 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Oh, no! Some guy on the internet doesn't like me!

Are you one of the shitbags that had the Texas AG write a letter so Gunnison County would let you stay?

are you the old man that yells at the sky? I'm sorry old boy, about 8 of 100k people get the disease and the survival rate is 98.7%. Have fun staring on the next episode of doomsday preppers

are you the old man that yells at the sky? I'm sorry old boy, about 8 of 100k people get the disease and the survival rate is 98.7%. Have fun staring on the next episode of doomsday preppers
You're a special little flower, aren't you? Not real big on doing things for the benefit of others?

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
4 minutes ago, TexanTraveling said:

You're a special little flower, aren't you? Not real big on doing things for the benefit of others?

you must spend your entire life in fear little man.....

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
3 minutes ago, TexanTraveling said:
you must spend your entire life in fear little man.....

Totally. I'm terrified. Especially of manly men like you.

Take a note from sweden, if you are a delicate little flower, stay inside. Let the rest of us live life. 

On 5/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 5/3/2020 at 3:33 PM, TexanTraveling said:
Take a note from sweden, if you are a delicate little flower, stay inside. Let the rest of us live life. 

Just go live it somewhere else, carpetbagger.

Are you from Colorado?  Because I have been going to our family home in Colorado for 40 years.  And the biggest assholes to out of staters are people who aren't natives but moved there.

Edited by Johnny Sack

33 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Are you from Colorado?  Because I have been going to our family home in Colorado for 40 years.  And the biggest assholes to out of staters are people who aren't natives but moved there.

I am a native.  I'm also a second homeowner in a mountain community (in Grand county near Winter Park).  And I've stayed in Denver throughout this mess because that's what the mountain communities asked us to do and because they don't have the resources to deal with a lot of cases like Denver does.  There is one small hospital in all of Grand county.  That's it.  Some counties banned second homeowners from accessing their homes (Gunnison, San Miguel and Summit counties all did this and are still doing it) and others, like Grand county, asked us to stay away but did not mandate it.  I have not spend a night up in that house since March 6.  We usually go 2-3 times per month.  I am willing to sacrifice my time in the mountains right now because I know there are bigger issues at hand.  As a member of the community up there, I'm willing to do what we need to do so we can be open by summer.

I have zero issues with out of staters 99% of the time.  You provide a big boost to the economy and I know why you like to come up because it's the same reasons I like to go up.  But I do have a problem with self important pricks like TexanTraveling.  He doesn't care about the mountain community.  He just cares about himself.  And nobody is going to tell him what to do.

EDIT:  I also agree that it's the people who moved to the mountains from somewhere else are usually the biggest pricks about visitors.  Even as a CO resident with a second home up there, you still run into those folks from time to time.  But they got theirs and would rather you go away.  Very NIMBYish, IMO.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 2