Space X launch in 5 minutes 1/18/22

Gil Bang

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This Inspiration4 thing is just utter bullshit, especially the name.

"We're going to show how civilians go into space and the kind of science they can do and what our capsules are like in orbit"

Inspiration4 gets to orbit and then very little video is released, and supposedly a little live-streaming with a hospital and that's it.

How the fuck are they not live-streaming during the daytime here in the US and answering questions from school kids and shit?

@RamjetFDO is right about SpaceX's PR people - NASA would have had all kinds of interaction with schools, etc.

I believe the pilot did teach a class by livestream, at least that's what the mission briefing said. They aren't livestreaming because they're doing science and testing systems and shit. In space. No NASA capcom or deep bench of seasoned mission controllers. It makes sense they're going smaller for this first mission.

Not like they're wasting taxpayer money or anything, a billionaire shelled out $200MM to finance the trip

No, they are not live-streaming it because they have sold it as a documentary to Netflix. The last two episodes revolving completely around the launch and trip. Why would anyone sub to Netflix if it was all streamed already to YouTube?

now, why pictures and other updates haven’t been released I have no idea. 

For it to be commercially viable, these would be transport vehicles to private space stations (the plan). This is commercial space and there is a race on. Some of the information is commercially sensitive in a world full and eyes and ears.

As for the children, there is still risk involved in these tests/early missions. For instance, the was a used capsule. There will be accidents.  I see this phase as test pilots out in the desert - Chuck Yeager and his bunch of bronc riders or the Mercury Astronauts. You know how many died in that phase of our exploration of space. 

NASA had a large public outreach and deserves all of the credit for creating astronauts who dreamed of jetting off to space (almost every American kid). That led to this, and a return to the Moon , and then Mars.

Job well done NASA.  I think NASA's public outreach should continue to build on what came from NASA's foundation.

spacer.png

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

For it to be commercially viable, these would be transport vehicles to private space stations (the plan). This is commercial space and there is a race on. Some of the information is commercially sensitive in a world full and eyes and ears.

As for the children, there is still risk involved in these tests/early missions. For instance, the was a used capsule. There will be accidents.  I see this phase as test pilots out in the desert - Chuck Yeager and his bunch of bronc riders or the Mercury Astronauts. You know how many died in that phase of our exploration of space. 

NASA had a large public outreach and deserves all of the credit for creating astronauts who dreamed of jetting off to space (almost every American kid). That led to this, and a return to the Moon , and then Mars.

Job well done NASA.  I think NASA's public outreach should continue to build on what came from NASA's foundation.

spacer.png

Unmanned planetary exploration isn't nearly a sexy if you're trying to get kids interested. Prolly needs to be a collaboration between the private entities doing manned flight and NASA research. Is NASA really going to put humans in space again? 

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Guess they stuck it.

I let my kids stay up and watch, and I'll admit, I was a bit nervous.  I'm always nervous letting them watch a launch.

They showed a second or two of the first stage near the end of the stream... Looks like the fire suppression system was doing some work. 

image.thumb.png.f6787a1365e86ef4177ee2668e4a46a0.png

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.nasa.gov/content/astronaut-kayla-barron

Graduated from Richland High School in Richland, Washington, in 2006. Earned a bachelor’s degree in Systems Engineering from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, in 2010. Earned a master’s degree in Nuclear Engineering from the University of Cambridge in Cambridge, England, in 2011, as a 2010 Gates Cambridge Scholar.

Great, the NASA astronauts are young enough that I could almost be their dads.  

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Couldn’t they have a flying drone camera away from the ship record the landing so the camera doesn’t get blasted every time?

They could, and they probably do.  We just don't necessarily get to see it.

I get the feeling they don't really like showing the 1st stage landing, since there have been some failures in the past.

Or maybe that's just me exhibiting some paranoia, because I'd love to see multiple angles of this event, every single time.  For me, it's almost as cool as the initial launch itself.

• Gil Bang changed the title to SO CAL PEEPS: SPACE X VANDENBERG LAUNCH TONIGHT 11/23 10:20 PM PST
  • Gil Bang changed the title to Space X launch in 5 minutes 1/18/22

Stage 1-2 decoupling all good.  Stage 2 telemetry reading wonderfully.  

They're watching this from way out there.  And even they're happy for us.  

200km up and counting.  Stage 1 entry burn about to start. 

You had what?  

We had soot!

Soot?

Edited by Lobo

• 7 months later...

Click link in headline for more.

ELON MUSK'S SPACEX BUILDING $43 MILLION FACILITY IN AUSTIN METRO AREA

Aerospace and space transportation company SpaceX appears to be
building out a facility in Bastrop County, as CEO Elon Musk continues
to move parts of his various business interests into the Central Texas
region.

Musk and SpaceX haven't formally announced any plans, but recent
filings with the state and company job postings have given some clues
into what the company might be up to in the region.

SpaceX, which is headquartered in Hawthorne, Calif., makes
spacecrafts, satellite communications technology and launches its own
space crafts and satellites. The company already has a significant
Texas presence, with facilities in South Texas and the Wace area.

But the company has been believed to have set up shop in Austin in
recent years after job postings have hinted at a facility in the
region. Now recent filings show what the company may be building out a
facility.

An Aug. 31 filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and
Regulation shows SpaceX has plans to construct alarge facility in
Bastrop County off FM 1209, not far from the Colorado River. While the
filing does not list the company name directly, a SpaceX employee and
the company’s McGregor address are also listed on the filing.

The filing gives little detail into the company’s plans, but
describes the project, which is listed under the name of “Project
Echo,” as a 521,521 square foot “shell building.” It also said
the company will start construction on the site in October, and plans
to complete it in July 2023 for an estimated cost of $43 million.

A separate filing with the Texas Commission for Environmental Quality
lists the company by name,Space Exploration Technologies Corp and the
same project name, as well as the McGregor address. The filing also
gives few details, but estimated construction on a project would start
in June and finish up in March 2023.

• 1 month later...
Just now, Captainant said:

That double landing will never not be some fucking sci-fi shit. Legit blows my mind, despite this being the 150th and 151st successful landing. 

Amazing how fast they came down and stopped.

Whole shitload of people out there with expensive cameras hoping to get some cool launch shots, but fog.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Amazing how fast they came down and stopped.

Whole shitload of people out there with expensive cameras hoping to get some cool launch shots, but fog.

EveryDay Astronaut and his 4k broadcast van were bigbrains and set up to catch the dual landing - really excited to see what sort of footage they captured, they do smart tricks like setting up a panoramic 6k camera to be portrait instead of landscape and then digitally zooming in for super smooth tracking shots

Edited by Captainant