Christmas Menus

Spur08

• 11 months later...

kinda want to smoke a prime rib for xmas.  problem is that the smoker is here in houston and dinner is at my parents house in del boca vista in georgetown.  with a brisket i'd just smoke it til done, refrigerate, and transport.  but a prime rib only gets to 130° instead of 200°.  would it be safe to smoke, put on ice, and then reheat/sear a day or two later?

13 hours ago, elfenix said:

kinda want to smoke a prime rib for xmas.  problem is that the smoker is here in houston and dinner is at my parents house in del boca vista in georgetown.  with a brisket i'd just smoke it til done, refrigerate, and transport.  but a prime rib only gets to 130° instead of 200°.  would it be safe to smoke, put on ice, and then reheat/sear a day or two later?

Make sure you keep the drippings to make Yorkshire Pudding.

It is outstanding and addictive.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Cook it in the oven.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, luke duke said:

Cook it in the oven.

This. I've tried to prefer the smoked version, and don't get me wrong I will eat the shit out of a smoked prime rib, but a properly cooked oven rib roast is superior and allows the flavor of high quality beef come through. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

This recipe is for the prime rib too but there were so easy to make.

Here is a link

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/160399/prime-rib-au-jus-with-yorkshire-pudding/

Basically you make the batter.

Take the drippings from the prime rib and coat and heat a muffin tin with the drippings and then pour the batter in and bake.

They are fabulous.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, luke duke said:

Cook it in the oven.

18 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This. I've tried to prefer the smoked version, and don't get me wrong I will eat the shit out of a smoked prime rib, but a properly cooked oven rib roast is superior and allows the flavor of high quality beef come through. 

well that's kinda disappointing.

we always do yorkshires with prime rib.  that's nothing new. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Has anyone made a pecan pie without corn syrup? I found a recipe and am going to give it a try. Will also make the more traditional one for comparison. 

had one for thanksgiving, using the recipe from tasting history.  it was very good, not as cloying as the corn syrup version, though it could do without the meringue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Going pretty non-traditional for us this year.  Going to cook prime filets on the Primo, serve each with 3 seared scallops.  Sauteed spinach with bacon and mushrooms, and my mom's "Christmas rice" recipe -- kind of a take on dirty rice, with wild rice and mushrooms.  Both kids are living on a student budget, so they are craving good beef.  Gonna give it to them.  I may even buy a few other steaks to cook later in the week.  Because fuck it, I like steaks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Heading to see my dad for the holiday meal. We are rarely traditional. This year it is simple food. To start, Tamales. 

Dinner is Crab legs, Beef Loin with Mushroom gravy. Red Potatoes in butter. Green bean casserole (was my step mom's favorite and we lost her a year ago), and a salad. 

GF is making bread, rolls and banana, mango, blue berry bread. 

Beer while prepping, Red wine for dinner, Glenfiddich for after. 

Christmas Eve Dinner last night. 2.5 pound Ribeye, overnight mac and cheese that is amazing and green stuff that makes pee smell funny. I was really happy with how this came out using reverse sear. I little more cooked than I would like but cooking for the fam. 

3B334E73-A1FB-4CC6-ADFF-583577C2932F.jpeg

63E8ED11-A30C-44CC-99A3-022CCA4654D2.jpeg

Edited by hornbri
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 3

A few different cuts of prime steak and lamb chops.  Then the girlfriend made bacon wrapped asparagus with some glaze and mashed potatoes.  We had four adults only and cheese and meat trays out all day.  So plenty of leftovers to turn into a breakfast concoction in the morning.  

02CA1EE8-7A88-48F9-8C75-820500190E3E.jpeg

9C5ECA30-60BA-4708-852B-AD4CF0C7F340.jpeg

2760AA4D-393B-427B-AFEE-0C88093B3E5E.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Christmas Eve was a pot of chili, tamales I picked up from Tommy Tamale, the usual adding, with a crock pot of queso and Fritos to much on during the game along with sausage cheddar balls.

Christmas dinner started with a couple pounds of 16-20 wild gulf shrimp with remoulade and cocktail sauce. The main was a venison tenderloin from a buck harvested a few weeks ago by my DiL, sliced into filets, wrapped in good bacon, marinated and grilled to a perfect medium rare. Green bean casserole, corn pudding, mashed taters made a great meal. Homemade Cherry pie, pecan pie, and Texas sheet cake completed the evening.

We decided yesterday to do a Christmas Story style Xmas dinner and hit up a Chinese restaurant. Showed up at First Chinese BBQ at 5. It took an hour to get a seat and 90 minutes to get our food.

I’m planning ahead next year and getting Wu Chow reservations early. I really liked getting out of the house for dinner since I was going stir crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1