DIII Championship at Woodforest Stadium- Friday, Dec14 at 6PM

Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl at Woodforest Stadium in Shenandoah(The Woodlands)

Mary Hardin Baylor Crusaders, who beat longtime nemesis Wisconsin- Whitewater vs Mt Union Purple Raiders, defending National Champions; in a repeat of 2017's game in Salem. Virginia

If weather holds out, currently no precip in the forecast, I am going to sit on CRU side.

Anyone else interested?

Edited by slorch

Anyone else tried to get tickets?

The NCAA site with the alleged "tickets" link is crap.

I guess the whole thing is general admission, which is fine, but listing the cost somewhere would be fabulous.

To late to edit my other post...

I've read some articles on the UMHB coach and I guess they just do a good job recruiting to a school that doesn't have athletic scholarships, although I'd imagine that can be overcome with some generous academic scholarships. And I didn't know before just now that they had self reported 2 NCAA major violations this year regarding extra benefits to two football players and the coach was suspended for 3 games. So maybe its like Alabama with riding right next to the NCAA line?

On 12/12/2018 at 8:02 AM, hpslugga said:

Wait, so all the real NCAA title games are in Texas this year?

Yep.   The NCAA hasn't announced if the D2 title game is long term deal  in Mckinney or if they are going to open it back up for bids.    

It sucked in KC being played in a soccer stadium that made the crowds look smaller than they really were and isn't as fan friendly as Frisco.  Plus the weather for a few of those games was bad.     The D2 game has never been an attendance draw, except when it was being played in Florence, Alabama and the home team UNA was in the championship.  There have been exceptions such as when some teams make their first appearences like Northwest Missouri and Grand Valley did in the 90's and early 2000's.  But when they went back for a second or third time,  some of the fan base stayed home.   Plus the D2 and D3 games are fricken scheduled at a shitty time as well.  Most of your schools either are wrapping up finals this week and  have graduation ceremonies.  I don't know why the NCAA doesn't get a clue and move them to post Christmas week when it's more friendly for fans and students alike to travel.  

Really if the NCAA wanted to do something cool, they should have a Championship weekend at whatever venue the FBS title is going to be held and let them all play their games that weekend leading up to the FBS game.   Or do FCS, D2, and D3 at the same venue like at Frisco.  But the NCAA is stuck on stupid on so many issues the idea will never cross their minds.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, relapse98 said:

To late to edit my other post...

I've read some articles on the UMHB coach and I guess they just do a good job recruiting to a school that doesn't have athletic scholarships, although I'd imagine that can be overcome with some generous academic scholarships. And I didn't know before just now that they had self reported 2 NCAA major violations this year regarding extra benefits to two football players and the coach was suspended for 3 games. So maybe its like Alabama with riding right next to the NCAA line?

I think the Crusaders (UMHB) have the financial backing of Drayton McLane to some extent (think his name is on the stadium there too). As for the impermissible benefits I'm not sure what happened there, I got the impression that it involved boosters though. I have heard that Coach Pete was really, really hurt and disappointed by the whole thing. Apparently he has prided himself on doing things the right way and this was a big hit on his personal character. That's just my impression from what I've pieced together from local coverage and it could of course be way off the mark.

Crusaders got shut out in the game last year but have rolled up just about everyone they've played this year. Mt Union has a good defense so it might be a game this time.

On 12/12/2018 at 11:31 AM, Sgt Hulk said:

Mount Union is in this annually, how the hell do they continue to dominate 

Any DIII program that is historically good is probably offering extra financial aid to their athletes.  

Schools have gotten busted for considering "football team captain" as a leadership role in assessing a high school transcript for an academic scholarship.   I don't think that's right, but that is the rule.  

Edited by Beau Vine

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Any DIII program that is historically good is probably offering extra financial aid to their athletes.  

Schools have gotten busted for considering "football team captain" as a leadership role in assessing a high school transcript for an academic scholarship.   I don't think that's right, but that is the rule.  

Daughter goes to UMHB and she says none of the football players pay tuition. This at a school that doesn’t give athletic scholarships. She plays softball (no lesbo) and gets nowhere near full tuition with academic scholarships.

5 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Daughter goes to UMHB and she says none of the football players pay tuition. This at a school that doesn’t give athletic scholarships. She plays softball (no lesbo) and gets nowhere near full tuition with academic scholarships.

And just so that Kel doesn't have to humblebrag, his daughter was a very good student in high school.  

5Canadian will hand Gunter their 2nd loss in 4 years, 17-7.  

You want to see a helluva program: http://www.maxpreps.com/local/team/records/year_by_year_results.aspx?gendersport=boys,football&schoolid=3c787125-bbf8-4cc7-9172-8aecd0973e84 They actually won state in 15-& 16 too.   Gunter knocked them out the last two seasons.  They're 243-43 since 1998 if I heard that right.  

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Daughter goes to UMHB and she says none of the football players pay tuition. 

She’s absolutely mistaken. I know/have known quite a few UMHB players. As far as I know, they’ve all paid at least some tuition. I’ve known several who quit the team because they couldn’t make it work financially after a year or two. 

I also have a friend who played at Mt. Union. /csb 

As I understand it, in DIII athletics, the lower you are on the depth chart the higher the amount of tuition you will pay. Its not uncommon for DIII schools to offer the opportunity to play college sports as a means of luring in students. If you are paying full tuition then you might be paying to be on the team.

11 minutes ago, F250 said:

As I understand it, in DIII athletics, the lower you are on the depth chart the higher the amount of tuition you will pay. Its not uncommon for DIII schools to offer the opportunity to play college sports as a means of luring in students. If you are paying full tuition then you might be paying to be on the team.

I asked the provost at Trinity why they had 60 players on their baseball roster.  He said, "We're not recruiting these guys to play baseball.  We're recruiting them to pay tuition."

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I asked the provost at Trinity why they had 60 players on their baseball roster.  He said, "We're not recruiting these guys to play baseball.  We're recruiting them to pay tuition."

Trinity baseball was what I had in mind when I wrote that post. I knew a guy that used to be on their baseball staff that said the same thing.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Ahh, that helps explain why (according to the ESPNU broadcast team) Mount Union has 200 players on the team. They don’t cut anyone... need Pops to cut the checks. Makes sense now. Junior wants to say he “played college ball.”

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

She’s absolutely mistaken. I know/have known quite a few UMHB players. As far as I know, they’ve all paid at least some tuition. I’ve known several who quit the team because they couldn’t make it work financially after a year or two. 

I also have a friend who played at Mt. Union. /csb 

Obviously it was an exaggeration. She is a woman after all. Although I’m gonna guess that most starters or even 2 deep don’t pay.

9 hours ago, F250 said:

Trinity baseball was what I had in mind when I wrote that post. I knew a guy that used to be on their baseball staff that said the same thing.

8 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Ahh, that helps explain why (according to the ESPNU broadcast team) Mount Union has 200 players on the team. They don’t cut anyone... need Pops to cut the checks. Makes sense now. Junior wants to say he “played college ball.”

Something like 25% of the students at Trinity are on an athletic team.  The first time we went there for a campus visit, we were in an info session on athletics and something else.  I raised my hand and asked a general question about the difference between time commitment for D3 relative to D1 (D1 had just instituted the 20 hour/week rule.  When it was over, we got up to walk out and the cross country coach met us at the door.  

My parents were constantly being hounded by a Texas DIII AD to donate while my sister was a 4 yr starter in basketball. My parents thought that since they went to every game the AD thought they had money. There certainly wasn't a lot of money floating around for athletes.  They were required to try to sell a certain number of shirts every offseason to fund their season. They'd also play a couple of sacrifice games against UTSA, ACU, or Lamar.