Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

You either love Korn or you hate them there's no in-between, we all have our own unique tastes and Metal has countless sub genres. Korn was the only metal band to ever experience any consistent success on the boy band/pop artist/hip hop dominated TRL and enjoyed so much success to the extent that the MTV execs had to invent a rule that required a song be retired after so many weeks on the countdown to get them off the air so they could push their marketable music down your throat. Long live Nu Metal!

They suck. Always have and always will. The best thing what’s his face ever did was guest vocals on a Sepultura song. In fact, you should go cleanse yourself with the first 6 Sepultura albums. Who gives a fuck if some 14 year old loved to watch Korn on TRL?
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

They suck. Always have and always will. The best thing what’s his face ever did was guest vocals on a Sepultura song. In fact, you should go cleanse yourself with the first 6 Sepultura albums. Who gives a fuck if some 14 year old loved to watch Korn on TRL?

Were you aware that the producer of Korn's self titled album also produced Roots (Which is a bad ass album as well along with producing Slipknot's first two albums) and Max has spoken about how Korn's self titled album influenced Roots which is widely regarded as one of their best albums?

Roots represents a significant shift in direction for Sepultura. On several levels, the album reflects a concerted effort on the band's part to embrace its Brazilian heritage, with a heightened focus on Brazilian culture that is strikingly apparent in the music. Musically speaking, the inspiration for the shift was twofold: One was the desire to further experiment with both Latin and indigenous strains of the music of Brazil, including the percussive style of the Salvador, Bahia samba reggae group Olodum. Roots was also inspired by Korn's self-titled debut, with its heavily down-tuned guitars

If you're jamming one of the biggest metal albums of the 90s just remember who helped play a role in shaping that sound. I like Sepultura (and soulfly) so not sure what I should be cleansing?

Freak on a Leash is a classic.

Classic piece of shit.

If you're jamming one of the biggest metal albums of the 90s just remember who helped play a role in shaping that sound. I like Sepultura (and soulfly) so not sure what I should be cleansing?

Yes, we all know that. That doesn’t change anything. People sure all kinds of influences, but that doesn’t make them necessarily good. What is important is Roots is good. And citing a producer? Haha, that doesn’t make a shit. I was an engineer and producer at one time and worked with plenty of shitty bands I wouldn’t recommend anyone listens to.

Fucking Korn. Lulz.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Classic piece of shit.

Yes, we all know that. That doesn’t change anything. People sure all kinds of influences, but that doesn’t make them necessarily good. What is important is Roots is good. And citing a producer? Haha, that doesn’t make a shit. I was an engineer and producer at one time and worked with plenty of shitty bands I wouldn’t recommend anyone listens to.

Fucking Korn. Lulz.

You know that you are responsible for at least one of the 132 million times that song has been streamed on Spotify. I bet you even cranked it once when Jonathan screams "GO!" It's OK, your cred is safe with us, we won't tell.

You know that you are responsible for at least one of the 132 million times that song has been streamed on Spotify. I bet you even cranked it once when Jonathan screams "GO!" It's OK, your cred is safe with us, we won't tell.

Hahaha. But no. I don’t even Spotify :)

Can we close the korn discussion? It’s fucking up the thread.

Let’s talk Converge.

5 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

They're no Korn.

But seriously they are beloved but I've seen them twice and they just don't do it for me. I feel the same about Lamb of God (obviously a much different style). Everyone seems to LOVE them but I'm always left feeling meh.

It took me a while to warm up to Lamb of God, but I do love them now.  Just fucking great straight forward thrash with some hard hitting riffage and don't give a fuck lyrics.  Good times.

My favorite Lamb of God song strays wayyyy away from their typical style. It's a song called The Duke that was created as a tribute for their fan named Wayne who died from cancer. Randy actually sounded pretty good with clean vocals, the first time he's ever done that.

I just went through Korn's top 10 on spotify (I mean I didn't actually listen through every song).

The only redeeming one I could find was "Blind". Everything else is a bunch of pop-metal emo garbage. 

I'm not huge on bands like System of a Down or Slipknot but they blow Korn out of the water as far as I can tell and that's not exactly a redeeming endorsement of Korn. 

Edited by ztejas

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I just went through Korn's top 10 on spotify (I mean I didn't actually listen through every song).

The only redeeming one I could find was "Blind". Everything else is a bunch of pop-metal emo garbage. 

I'm not huge on bands like System of a Down or Slipknot but they blow Korn out of the water as far as I can tell and that's not exactly a redeeming endorsement of Korn. 

cosign, although I didn't need to listen to their top 10 to know it.

• Like 1

System of a Down is a complete beating. I’d go on but PS said we’re not allowed to talk about Korn any more.

Digging the new Alter Bridge song. Some solid riffage from Tremonti.

Sorry no YT yet.
  • Like 2

Cave In has a new album out, it’s called Final Transmission. Their long time bassist, Caleb Scofield, died in a car crash late last year. Even though it was recorded before his passing, it’s kind of a heart breaking listen. A portion of the profits of the new album go to support his wife and kids if you have the means to support the band. The album itself treads between Jupiter and their later releases like White Silence.

Until Your Heart Stops was one of the big reasons why I got into heavy music. I’ll always love Cave In.

• Like 2

Alright you Dallas fuckers, I am holding y'all responsible for not turning me on to Power Trip.  I found them going down a bandcamp rabbit hole.  Holy shit, this is some great thrash/thrashcore!  If it was brought up on the old site, I am still mad at y'all because you should have sat me down and made me listen.

Edited by Patricio Swayze

18 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Headed to this in October. So much good stuff. And just added KSE and Anthrax.

Some crazy pairings in that one, but sure looks fun, even if it does seem to lack a cohesive quality.  I'm jealous.

Be sure to check out Fever 333.  Their recorded stuff is kind of 'eh,' but they were perhaps the most energetic live band I've seen in some time.  Fun set that most folks were talking about later.

10 hours ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Probably the best metal out of Dallas since Pantera or Absu.

Definitely. Hornet's Nest was tagged as the best metal song of 2018 on Liquid Metal BTW. Such a great song. One of those few songs that starts off great and somehow gets better and better.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Some crazy pairings in that one, but sure looks fun, even if it does seem to lack a cohesive quality.  I'm jealous.

Be sure to check out Fever 333.  Their recorded stuff is kind of 'eh,' but they were perhaps the most energetic live band I've seen in some time.  Fun set that most folks were talking about later.

Octane pushes Fever 333 hard, just can't get into them. I liked one of their songs that I heard, but that was it.

11 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Definitely. Hornet's Nest was tagged as the best metal song of 2018 on Liquid Metal BTW. Such a great song. One of those few songs that starts off great and somehow gets better and better.

That's fucking great.  Heavy Kill 'em All vibe.

Was just thinking that sometimes I come across as an asshole in this thread, I really appreciate it and the contributions. There is a lot of stuff in here that I am not into but also a lot that I am. All my buddies I grew up with that were into heavy music don’t really listen to it anymore or care to talk about it. If I tease them about it they talk about how they just listened to Pantera the other day! That’s great, I love pantera, but there is still a lot of great heavy music being made.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Was just thinking that sometimes I come across as an asshole in this thread, I really appreciate it and the contributions. There is a lot of stuff in here that I am not into but also a lot that I am. All my buddies I grew up with that were into heavy music don’t really listen to it anymore or care to talk about it. If I tease them about it they talk about how they just listened to Pantera the other day! That’s great, I love pantera, but there is still a lot of great heavy music being made.

I've found heavy metal fans in general to be a bit more protective of what they accept or are willing to consider within the genre than other circles. I think hip-hop used to be that way with the regional styles and aesthetics in the 90s but it's so globalized now much of that has gone away. 

Anyway, I don't think there's anything wrong with being a bit of an asshole when it comes to discussing "heavy" music. Everyone has different goalposts it seems and it's always interesting to me what fits between those and what doesn't depending on who you're talking to. 

• Like 1