Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

I don’t have a problem with you digging them and going to see them. I might make a dumb joke, but people should like what they like.

I am fully aware that in the pantheon of music that I like there is some real crap. I’m on record as being a Nickelback defender.

That said the new Godsmack song isn’t doing much for me.

The new Ghost song is growing on me. Not a huge fan of the new ballet dancing Pope. His mask creeps me out more than the previous ones. Looks like Clark Gable had an acid bath.
The song has a nice groove to it. Nothing beats the first album for me still.

I think it’s awesome. It’s almost a hair metal song. There are shades of Queensryche in there.

16 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I am fully aware that in the pantheon of music that I like there is some real crap. I’m on record as being a Nickelback defender.

That said the new Godsmack song isn’t doing much for me.

Same for me. There are a lot of bands that so many people love that I can't stand. There are bands I like that would probably get looked down upon by others, but I am sure that may be true for all of us.

• Hook 'Em 1

Welcome to Rockville recap:

Friday: Them Evils, Bad Wolves, Power Trip, Godsmack and Ozzy were all good. Didn’t care for Texas Hippie Coalition, Trivium, Underoath, Parkway Drive, Toothgrinder, Five Finger Deathpunch. FFDP had a huge crowd. Ozzy sounded good. Power Trip was my favorite new find of the day. 

Saturday: Sevendust was very strong, as was Stone Temple Pilots. Their new singer is good. Breaking Benjamin was probably good if you like them. Stone Sour was meh. The Avenged Sevenfold singer lost his voice so I bailed. Definitely should have gone with some of the lesser known (to me) bands. 

Sunday: Red Fang, The Fever 333, Greta Van Fleet, Bullet For My Valentine, Clutch, Foo Fighters were all good. Queens of the Stone Age were outstanding. Didn’t care for Thrice, Turnstile, and I’ve seen better Billy Idol shows. 

I’m pumped to see QOTSA again this weekend. They are in excellent form. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

That's great. Post your review afterwards if you can

Well, I have never claimed to be a good reviewer, but I sure had a great time.

Missed Testament and part of the Behemoth set, because man they started the show early.  I've seen Behemoth a few times before, and I actually saw Testament opening for Judas Priest many moons ago (Painkiller tour).

Behemoth tight as always, but this was my first time seeing them outside during daylight hours.  I think their act plays better in a bit more intimate setting and when it is dark.  Just in terms of mood.  

Anthrax is Anthrax.  Sounds like they never aged somehow, to me.  I was never the giant fan of theirs, but I never hated them either.  They know what they're doing, and "caught in a mosh," "antisocial," and "Indians" were fun as hell.

Lamb Of God.  Hard for me to be unbiased about this one as I've always dug them.  Occasionally the vocals either got swallowed in the mix or Randy was taking some breaths, but it was minor.  They didn't play "Vigil" or "Black Label" which had me a little disappointed.  They closed with "Redneck" instead.  I'm not as much of a fan of their newer stuff, but still very, very good show.

Ah, then Slayer.  Well, you know what you're getting here.  Audience was great, and Slayer was super.     The setlist here looks accurate.  That South of Heaven/Reign In Blood combo would get any metal head up and screaming.  Or at least, it should.

Great show, if it comes your way, and you're on this thread, then you should probably go. I think Anthrax and Behemoth drop out on the second leg, and Napalm Death will join up.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Well, I have never claimed to be a good reviewer, but I sure had a great time.

Missed Testament and part of the Behemoth set, because man they started the show early.  I've seen Behemoth a few times before, and I actually saw Testament opening for Judas Priest many moons ago (Painkiller tour).

Behemoth tight as always, but this was my first time seeing them outside during daylight hours.  I think their act plays better in a bit more intimate setting and when it is dark.  Just in terms of mood.  

Anthrax is Anthrax.  Sounds like they never aged somehow, to me.  I was never the giant fan of theirs, but I never hated them either.  They know what they're doing, and "caught in a mosh," "antisocial," and "Indians" were fun as hell.

Lamb Of God.  Hard for me to be unbiased about this one as I've always dug them.  Occasionally the vocals either got swallowed in the mix or Randy was taking some breaths, but it was minor.  They didn't play "Vigil" or "Black Label" which had me a little disappointed.  They closed with "Redneck" instead.  I'm not as much of a fan of their newer stuff, but still very, very good show.

Ah, then Slayer.  Well, you know what you're getting here.  Audience was great, and Slayer was super.     The setlist here looks accurate.  That South of Heaven/Reign In Blood combo would get any metal head up and screaming.  Or at least, it should.

Great show, if it comes your way, and you're on this thread, then you should probably go. I think Anthrax and Behemoth drop out on the second leg, and Napalm Death will join up.

Sounds like a great show. Thanks for including the set list for Slayer. I am with you on Lamb of God, I like their older stuff better. I will see if this show will be anywhere in my area. Thanks for the review

7 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Catching up on the new Khemmis and Zeal and Ardor today as well.

Been listening to the new Khemmis a lot since its release last week. "Maw of Time" and "The Seer" are great tracks. These guys might have supplanted Pallbearer as my favorite doom metal band, though I suppose they're more of a "doomy" traditional metal band than a straight doom band.

• Like 1