Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought tix to this. Been waiting a long ass time to see Devourment. The whole lineup is fucking sick, though, Excited to see PeelingFlesh live. Just recently been getting into them
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ingested-tickets-496448459707?utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-medium=discovery&utm-term=listing&utm-source=cp&aff=escb

download (17).png

I don't know when this came out, it must have been recently, it's my daughter's band, she's the drummer (and sometimes she's on guitar/vocals).  They mine that realm of 90's grunge-punk like Hole, Nirvana, etc.  They're up for 3 Austin Music Awards, if you can see your way to voting for them that would be cool (Best New Band, Best Punk Band, Best Residency):

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 8:10 AM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Crazy technical thrash.  According to a review I read, their first album came out in 1987, then they disappeared until 2017.   They mix a lot of interesting elements into their thrash.   Hard to get bored with it.

Yeah, their first album World Circus is still one of my favorite tech thrash records. A new singer and a foot on the throttle ruined the follow up. I checked out this one when it came out and wasn't too enthused. 

So overall I have been under a rock in terms of heavy music lately.  So I have been scouring some best of 2022 lists and found this one.  For me, this is incredibly different.  Great album.  Mixed African spiritual music with black metal, death, industrial, and all kinds of crap.  And somehow that mix really works.  Fantastic.

This is the first tune on the ‘A’ side of Black Sabbath’s first album released on Friday the 13th in February 1970.   From the music and lyrics to the presentation on the album cover, we’d never heard or seen anything like it.  This was much more intense and powerful and music was never the same.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This is the first tune on the ‘A’ side of Black Sabbath’s first album released on Friday the 13th in February 1970.   From the music and lyrics to the presentation on the album cover, we’d never heard or seen anything like it.  This was much more intense and powerful and music was never the same.

This is metal. Led Zeppelin, a band I owned every album from by the age of 14, was not metal. Sorry not sorry.

In 1970, there was no “metal”.

Wrong. You just proved they there was. I think I recall the term”metal” being applied to Led Zeppelin in an article around that time. I may be remembering incorrectly.

Regardless, there is a significant difference in between the bands despite being deeply rooted in the blues.

15 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Wrong. You just proved they there was. I think I recall the term”metal” being applied to Led Zeppelin in an article around that time. I may be remembering incorrectly.

Regardless, there is a significant difference in between the bands despite being deeply rooted in the blues.

In 1970, if you had told me and my buds we were listening to “metal” when playing Black Sabbath’s first album, we’d have wanted some of what you were smoking.  That simply was not a musical genre at the time.  

38 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

In 1970, if you had told me and my buds we were listening to “metal” when playing Black Sabbath’s first album, we’d have wanted some of what you were smoking.  That simply was not a musical genre at the time.  

I think we are talking past each other.  I am not saying it was a genre at that point.  I am saying that when "metal" became a genre, people often put Led Zeppelin in that category.  I am just being anal and saying that, for me at least, when I think of the metal genre I think Sabbath, not Zeppelin (they are hard rock to me, and there is a distinction).  That's it.

15 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think we are talking past each other.  I am not saying it was a genre at that point.  I am saying that when "metal" became a genre, people often put Led Zeppelin in that category.  I am just being anal and saying that, for me at least, when I think of the metal genre I think Sabbath, not Zeppelin (they are hard rock to me, and there is a distinction).  That's it.

I agree with you regarding Zeppelin’s and Sabbath’s musical classifications.  Back in the early to mid 70’s, they would have been lumped together as “hard rock”.  It took time for more precise designations to become established.

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree with you regarding Zeppelin’s and Sabbath’s musical classifications.  Back in the early to mid 70’s, they would have been lumped together as “hard rock”.  It took time for more precise designations to become established.

The seminal moment in rock history genre naming came in 1981, when a Mr Samuel Roy Hagar presented with great clarity with his song “Heavy Metal” an inarguable distinction of what fans, media and music scholars alike can agree is, most certainly, NOT heavy metal.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/20/2023 at 11:31 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Good question.  Which bands have y'all seen the most?  For me it's Metallica (20+), Thrice (20+), and probably Robert Earl Keen (mid-teens).

In terms of this thread, Slayer or Lamb Of God.  Maybe Anthrax (they seem to be the 'middle band on a lot of shows I went to see).

In terms of general music it would easily be The Cult.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

I think I've seen Darkest Hour over 10 times, easily the band I've seen the most. Cattle Decapitation is right around there too.

NOFX and Propagandhi are up there too.

I've seen Mammoth Grinder like 40/50 times, but I won't count that considering they were local and I knew them.

Edited by Bigpoppapump
  • Hook 'Em 2