Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

• 2 weeks later...

So, help me out. I’m having a hard time finding much good new music. I’m oldish so my sweet spot is The New Wave of British Heavy Metal — Maiden and Priest, in particular — but obviously (older) Metallica and Megadeth. Newer than that stuff like All That Remains, Architects, Bring Me The Horizon, Bullet for My Valentine, etc. I’m fine with poppier/catchier stuff like Ghost and the Avatar song above. Industrial/techo like Rammstein. Do not want screamo/growling vocalists. 

I listen to SiriusXM Octane in the car (Liquid Metal has too many vocals I don’t like) but it’s rare to come across something new. 

This isn’t bad:

This is old, but one of the coolest riffs from a band with tens of millions of albums sold with cool riffs:

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

They’re not new, but you may want to check out Municipal Waste

I like the sound a lot. Reminds me a little of Savatage, but sped up. Not a fan of the vocals, but worth listening to some other of their songs. Thanks. 

Still going through the other suggestions, as well. Listening to Catastasis by Elder… sounds like Yes meets Godsmack. A lot of new songs to check out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So, help me out. I’m having a hard time finding much good new music. I’m oldish so my sweet spot is The New Wave of British Heavy Metal — Maiden and Priest, in particular — but obviously (older) Metallica and Megadeth. Newer than that stuff like All That Remains, Architects, Bring Me The Horizon, Bullet for My Valentine, etc. I’m fine with poppier/catchier stuff like Ghost and the Avatar song above. Industrial/techo like Rammstein. Do not want screamo/growling vocalists. 

I listen to SiriusXM Octane in the car (Liquid Metal has too many vocals I don’t like) but it’s rare to come across something new. 

You would probably really like Spirit Adrift, IMO they are the best band out right now releasing new "classic" heavy metal. Great riffs, shreddy solos, clean vocals. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

You would probably really like Spirit Adrift, IMO they are the best band out right now releasing new "classic" heavy metal. Great riffs, shreddy solos, clean vocals. 

Oh, fuck yes!

Definitely Maiden vibes in the parts with the bass out front and the tempo changes… sounds like something from an old school “Imports” section at a, gasp, record store. 

On 2/20/2023 at 2:58 PM, Storm the Field said:

Super cool guys, roo. Shot the shit with them after seeing them in Athens last year. The main guy lives just north of Austin.

I’ve listened to pretty much everything Spirit Adrift has on Apple Music. A few songs I really like. The rest feel like deep cuts or B sides… you can tell there’s something there, but they just don’t click for me.  I don’t dislike them, not at all. I’ve added songs to my playlists due to the recommendation so I appreciate the hell out of that. 

Parkway Drive’s last one is, imo, really good. Some of the songs are almost guttural vocals adjacent, but don’t quite get there the way some of their previous stuff did.

Edit: But, yes, I completely agree that they have that “classic” approach and that’s worth a lot. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

^^^

Lots to unpack in that video, well done

haha, yeah, that's basically a composite of all of the artwork and such from their previous releases mixed with the current one. Sprinkle in a little story and you have a lyric video - very popular among metal bands. Can all be done on computer without cameras so therefore, cheaper. still fun shit, though. hope these guys come to the states. Their shows look like a fucking blast. plus I super like their sound. I bet they sound boss live

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

On 3/4/2023 at 7:32 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Any Fear Factory fans?  They just started touring with the new singer a few days, surprisingly sounds really good.

I loved the lineup they had when they returned with the Mechanize album. I think Tony Campos from Static-X plays bass for them now?

2 hours ago, Chad said:

I loved the lineup they had when they returned with the Mechanize album. I think Tony Campos from Static-X plays bass for them now?

Correct.  I saw them on the Mechanize tour at HOB in Dallas.  Got a guitar pick from Byron Stroud.

That lineup was Burton, Dino, Stroud, and Gene Hoglan on drums.

On 3/5/2023 at 9:17 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Been listening to a lot of Enforeced lately and have the new album pre-ordered.  My favorite from the last album...

I like the first 1:02 a lot. Just can’t deal with vocals like that. 

That music with more “traditional” vocals — Dickinson, Tate, Bon Scott, (early) Brian Johnson, Marc Storace, Dio, Halford, Mustaine, even Till Lindemann or Dirkschneider  — or the like would be in heavy, cranked-up rotation.