Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

46 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Grabbing Knotfest tix this week. Excited to see Gojira for the first time and Behemoth for the second. Slipknot is just kind of a nostalgic bonus. Don't care too much for Volbeat.

Love Volbeat or hate them they bring it live, I've seen them twice. The 2nd time a massive fight broke out in the pit so bad that they quit playing momentarily haha, never would've expected that at a  Volbeat show.

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The first time I heard Warrior’s Call I thought it was a parody.

I'm not a fan of that tune. Sad man's tongue, Maybellene I Hofteholder, Heaven nor hell and Lola Montez are some good songs to check out if you haven't heard much of them and would be willing to give them a shot. Their cover of My Body by Young the Giant was pretty good too.

Edited by Chad
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 5:34 PM, Chad said:

I'm not a fan of that tune. Sad man's tongue, Maybellene I Hofteholder, Heaven nor hell and Lola Montez are some good songs to check out if you haven't heard much of them and would be willing to give them a shot. Their cover of My Body by Young the Giant was pretty good too.

Still Counting reminds me of surly 

On 2/27/2019 at 7:30 PM, Buzzrock said:

Megadeth is better than Metallica. Change my mind.

Eh. I personally started a thread saying that Rust in Peace is better, on the whole, than any other single whole album Metallica ever did. But I wouldn't put any of their individual songs above "Master of Puppets," and I think a favorite songs compilation of Metallica will be much longer than that of Megadeth. But I'm weird, since I really liked about half the songs on Load. (The rest were boring garbage, a harbinger of what was to come.)

As for now, both are living off of past greatness. Metallica has the shame of St. Anger, Megadeth has weird politics and that godawful stunt Mustaine pulled with the SD Symphony.

But anyway, I didn't come here to chime in on a month-old troll, I came here to discuss Devin Townsend's Empath.

And this is my favorite off the album:

I really like it so far, more than anything he's done since Deconstruction. It has that album's bombast and overdone production, but more of the spirit of Ghost.

On 3/24/2019 at 1:32 PM, Wyatt Mann said:

Brutality? I had no idea that band was active again. Excuse me while I do some research!

Solid performance, but a band from Dallas called Steel Bearing Hand completely ruled the night.  I'd never heard them before, and I highly recommend them if you're into an unholy mix of death and thrash.

Brutality was cool, but they went on super late and only played 8 or so songs.

I miss Austin. So much outstanding live music. The Red Eye Fly and Beerland had many wonderful small shows with various local and touring death metal bands. Even Bull MCCabes would have bands. And the alley between Red Eye Fly and Beerland is legendary.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/east-7th-st-alley-posing-problems-for-businesses-police/994959544

I miss Austin. So much outstanding live music. The Red Eye Fly and Beerland had many wonderful small shows with various local and touring death metal bands. Even Bull MCCabes would have bands. And the alley between Red Eye Fly and Beerland is legendary.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/east-7th-st-alley-posing-problems-for-businesses-police/994959544

Don’t forget Room 710 (RIP) and headhunters to an extent in the early 2000s.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:08 PM, Wyatt Mann said:

What Coroner should I check out? I enjoyed "Internal Conflicts" though Im sure thats not what most people would call classic for them.

I'd start with No More Color and Mental Vortex.  Then proceed with Punishment for Decadence and RIP.

18 hours ago, Wyatt Mann said:

Man, the venues I frequented are long gone - Back Room, Liberty Lunch, Cannibal Club...

16 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Legendary for the wrong reasons these days.

never go out the rear exit of side bar. i've never seen so much human feces on the ground as i did in that alley during sxsw this year. 

Atlanta, TX?  I wouldn't mind catching Parkway Drive.  Who is the singer for Killswitch these days?

Jesse has been back with them for awhile. He sounds great. Check out tracks three and four on Disarm the Descent.

Atlanta is in May after the Texas dates. You probably knew that.

14 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Jesse has been back with them for awhile. He sounds great. Check out tracks three and four on Disarm the Descent.

Atlanta is in May after the Texas dates. You probably knew that.

Cool, I like Jesse a lot better than Howard.  Listened to both tracks you mentioned and yep, good stuff.