Kansas State hires North Dakota State's Chris Klieman as head coach

Machinator

On 9/29/2022 at 8:27 AM, GopherRock said:

It's amazing what happens if you know the contents of the rule book.

I was amazed to see that neither Sark - hell, nor anyone else in his crew - had the rule book open and ready for the refs to read in the midst of trying to figure out what to call instead of giving Texas two points and a 15-yard shorter field after Bama safety kickoff.   

The element was the Safety. Video shows Bama QB on top of a Texas defender or two, but with his lower leg clearly on the ground. This play is reviewable, although it was claimed to not be. In fact it is specifically noted in the Replay Manual for Coaches, as the VERY FIRST THING that 

Reviewable plays involving a potential score include:  

a.  A potential touchdown or safety. 

The appearance on replay was that the QB's leg was grounded, even though his body was on top of a tackler, shortly after which he threw the ball away, in what was clearly a desperation effort to avoid the safety, and thrown blindly forward with no one to throw to. Refusal by the SEC replay crew to review, based on a call of Intentional Grounding was followed by am apparent review in which no grounding was called owing to one (1) Bama player in the picture who might conceivably been a receiver but was not shown to be "in the area" of the putative pass. It was not clear to me what the ultimate story on the "roughing the passer" "with targeting" call, neither of which actually happened, and again, clearly so on replay.

The safety itself was apparently not even reviewed, despite the fact that it is the second play in the rulebook after a TD that is SPECIFICALLY REVIEWABLE.

Last, but not least, replay crew can inject itself into any play in which egregious reffing errors have occurred.

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I don’t think it will be a fun game for Bama at all. Jmo. 

I think Bama is going to grind them into powder along the LOS. We whipped KState's asses and dominated them on both lines and Bama was in our backfield every snap.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I think Bama is going to grind them into powder along the LOS. We whipped KState's asses and dominated them on both lines and Bama was in our backfield every snap.

I wonder how many of the Bama players will be sitting it out? Also, this is probably one of the worst penalizes teams Saban has coached. They are sloppy…lots of self induced errors…

On the general topic of this thread, Klieman has seemed to be a very solid hire for Kstate.  Really good pick for a lot of reasons to replace the wizard.  Happy they won a big 12 championship as I like that fan base more than most other in the B12 (RIP, fatty).

Living in Frisco, I've been exposed to the NDSU fans for years.  They've always been genuinely fun to hang with, maybe bc they're always in a good mood bc they're always winning.

I really thought Bohl would have more success when he left than it seems like he has.  Maybe my expectations were too high bc it's Wyoming, maybe he's actually done better there than I realized only casually watching, or maybe it was actually others on his staff responsible for the success.  Either way it's cool to see one of the guys who had so much sustained success there translate it to winning at the P5 level.

Rooting for them against bama, obviously, although I agree with the poster above who said how they played against our talent gap doesn't inspire confidence.

• Like 1

Bulletin board stuff for K-state folks...

lol I doubt Saban said that or meant that. Reading the comments to that rubes tweet- it sounds like Saban was referring to Ohio st losing by 3 TDs is a bad loss. Especially at home. Bama has 2 down to the wire road losses to top 5 teams.

I think bama would challenge Georgia better than ohio state. And it’s not for the championship so who cares about secsecsec

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Screenshot_20230918-091300_kindlephoto-1403395.png.5419dc17d24367b61f95d16994e6103c.png

Missed news that UCF starting QB Plumlee did not play this past Saturday against Villanova and is out for a few weeks

"3 things to watch: Timmy McClain makes first start for UCF football against Villanova"

By:  Chris Boyle  Daytona Beach News-Journal

ORLANDO — Timmy McClain shined in his debut UCF start, and the Knights completed a perfect nonconference run with ease Saturday night.

McClain, filling in for the injured John Rhys Plumlee, completed 20 of 28 passes for 321 yards and a couple of touchdowns as the Knights crushed Villanova 48-14 at FBC Mortgage Stadium. The redshirt sophomore quarterback added 44 yards on the ground, and led UCF (3-0) to points on eight of 11 drives in which he played.

"It's definitely been a long journey, a lot of hard work and dedication I've put in to this point," said McClain, a Sanford native who started nine games for rival South Florida in the 2021 season, transferred to UCF last August and spent last year on the Knights' scout team. "Going into this game, I just had to execute plays. I was just staying ready and waiting on my time, praying that I'd get my time. I showed up tonight, so it was pretty good.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/college/ucf/2023/09/17/ucf-football-3-takeaways-from-win-over-villanova-timmy-mcclain-john-rhys-plumlee/70826167007/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Kansas State QBs Will Howard, Avery Johnson to split playing time

th?id=OVFT.VtF6YUWdHCUgXg6XI0L3hS&pid=Ne

Associated Press    Oct 17, 2023

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas State coach Chris Klieman plans to use both veteran Will Howard and Avery Johnson at quarterback going forward after the freshman standout came on against Texas Tech last weekend and matched a school record with five touchdown runs.

The Wildcats were struggling to move the ball against the Red Raiders with Howard, who replaced the injured Adrian Martinez last season and led them to the Big 12 championship. But when Johnson entered the game, the dual-threat quarterback energized Kansas State, which wound up overcoming a third-quarter deficit for a 38-21 victory.

"What we learned from this past Saturday is that we've seen Will play at a really high level and be successful, and then we saw Avery play at a high level and be successful," Klieman said Tuesday. "So we feel comfortable with both guys."

Howard, who has started the first six games for the Wildcats (4-2, 2-1 Big 12), has struggled at times this season. He has thrown for 1,310 yards with nine touchdown passes and seven interceptions. That includes three picks two weeks ago at Oklahoma State, when the senior quarterback was just 15-of-34 for 152 yards and a touchdown in the 29-21 loss.

That defeat, coupled with a loss to Missouri in which Howard also struggled, left the Wildcats in a tough position in the Big 12 race. They face TCU on Saturday night in a rematch of last year's conference title game, then play Big 12 newcomer Houston before a showdown with third-ranked Texas that could help decide who plays for this year's title.

Kansas State listed both Howard and Johnson as a starter against the Horned Frogs (4-3, 2-2), but Klieman said there will be no decision on the amount of playing time each will receive until the game plan is finalized later in the week.

"If you thought it would be a 60-40, 50-50 or a 90-10 split, we have no idea," Klieman said. "We're going to go through the game plan and see who, where and what gives us the best opportunity."

Johnson, known for his blazing speed, had 13 carries for 90 yards Saturday, but he also was 8-of-9 for 77 yards through the air against the Red Raiders. Overall, he is 11-of-13 for 132 yards this season, including playing time against Southeast Missouri State and Missouri.

"We saw the speed instantly, out there running in the summer," wide receiver Jadon Jackson said. "'This kid can roll.' And we got into fall camp and it was like, 'OK, he can throw too.' He's something special."

Johnson got a jump on his college career last fall, when he helped lead Maize High School to a second straight Kansas state title before graduating early. That allowed him to enroll at Kansas State at the semester mark and take part in spring ball.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'll always appreciate Avery for hitting that championship-clinching shot against the Knicks in 1999, but this dude might be a problem. He looked slippery and fast as hell against Tech. I wish we had K-State earlier in the schedule.

At this point in Sark's tenure, if we cant beat Kansas State at home because they roll out a freshman QB, we have some major fucking problems. This is absolutely a game we have to win, or we're fucking around with the wrong coach.

image.png.dbf6c5321c37a1b16d7aaec3f9cffa3d.png

Kansas State QBs Will Howard, Avery Johnson to split playing time
th?id=OVFT.VtF6YUWdHCUgXg6XI0L3hS&pid=News&w=256&h=158&c=14&rs=2&qlt=90&dpr=1.3
Associated Press    Oct 17, 2023
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas State coach Chris Klieman plans to use both veteran Will Howard and Avery Johnson at quarterback going forward after the freshman standout came on against Texas Tech last weekend and matched a school record with five touchdown runs.
The Wildcats were struggling to move the ball against the Red Raiders with Howard, who replaced the injured Adrian Martinez last season and led them to the Big 12 championship. But when Johnson entered the game, the dual-threat quarterback energized Kansas State, which wound up overcoming a third-quarter deficit for a 38-21 victory.
"What we learned from this past Saturday is that we've seen Will play at a really high level and be successful, and then we saw Avery play at a high level and be successful," Klieman said Tuesday. "So we feel comfortable with both guys."
Howard, who has started the first six games for the Wildcats (4-2, 2-1 Big 12), has struggled at times this season. He has thrown for 1,310 yards with nine touchdown passes and seven interceptions. That includes three picks two weeks ago at Oklahoma State, when the senior quarterback was just 15-of-34 for 152 yards and a touchdown in the 29-21 loss.
That defeat, coupled with a loss to Missouri in which Howard also struggled, left the Wildcats in a tough position in the Big 12 race. They face TCU on Saturday night in a rematch of last year's conference title game, then play Big 12 newcomer Houston before a showdown with third-ranked Texas that could help decide who plays for this year's title.
Kansas State listed both Howard and Johnson as a starter against the Horned Frogs (4-3, 2-2), but Klieman said there will be no decision on the amount of playing time each will receive until the game plan is finalized later in the week.
"If you thought it would be a 60-40, 50-50 or a 90-10 split, we have no idea," Klieman said. "We're going to go through the game plan and see who, where and what gives us the best opportunity."
Johnson, known for his blazing speed, had 13 carries for 90 yards Saturday, but he also was 8-of-9 for 77 yards through the air against the Red Raiders. Overall, he is 11-of-13 for 132 yards this season, including playing time against Southeast Missouri State and Missouri.
"We saw the speed instantly, out there running in the summer," wide receiver Jadon Jackson said. "'This kid can roll.' And we got into fall camp and it was like, 'OK, he can throw too.' He's something special."
Johnson got a jump on his college career last fall, when he helped lead Maize High School to a second straight Kansas state title before graduating early. That allowed him to enroll at Kansas State at the semester mark and take part in spring ball.

This has major “coming out as bi-sexual” vibes.

Dude, you’re gay/want Avery Johnson to start. You’re not fooling anyone. Just be you and roll with it.

6 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Got a conference championship in the trophy case, though. Which is nice. 

Yes he does. I imagine it’s not easy to get elite players and it’s not like Manhattan Kansas is rolling in dough. They are the epitome of do more with less. Scrappy and resilient. I hate them. Just kidding. Hey at least we don’t have to face them next Saturday, right? We save the good shit for parent’s weekend, November 4th. 

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yes he does. I imagine it’s not easy to get elite players and it’s not like Manhattan Kansas is rolling in dough. They are the epitome of do more with less. Scrappy and resilient. I hate them. Just kidding. Hey at least we don’t have to face them next Saturday, right? We save the good shit for parent’s weekend, November 4th. 

One thing we’re good at is getting night games, at least!  Houston next week is a morning game- I think it’s our first one in conference play. 

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of the LHN prior to Sark’s presser yesterday. Klieman is a heck of a HC as far as many have mentioned getting the most with less. I know he’s not beat us but as also been said he’s got a Big 12 Trophy. This team has started to gel in the past few weeks. Losses to OSU and Missouri aside (so happy we don’t have to get jobbed by the refs in Stillwater this year.) 

IMG_7841.jpeg

IMG_7842.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Klieman has to be kicking himself that he didn't start Howard against Texas last year.  Seemed pretty confident about how their offense is currently playing especially Howard.

The big surprise is how much their defense has improved recently.  Hopefully that's just distorted by how poorly their last couple of opponents offenses played.

Screenshot_2023-10-31-17-55-09_kindlephoto-7734322.png.bbc33039c569a5b2f4e171c5bcda5731.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Glad this guy does not cover Texas... 😋

Postgame Walk & Talk | Fitz recaps Kansas State's overtime loss to Texas

Late Sat. night... says "baylor stinks" 😂😂😂

Daily Delivery | Chris Klieman’s Kansas State team lost at Texas, but Fitz asks, ‘What now?’

0-fer against Texas. He's a great coach though. The Big 12 has 4 really good coaches in Klieman, Whittingham, Gundy, and Leipold. Out of the rest of the conference, the dude in Arizona is on the way up with the rest of the league closer to Jimbo.

Edited by HtownHorn

Every coach makes mistakes, but this is the second year in a row Kleiman fumbled a potential win against us. Last year it was mismanagement of the clock at the end of both halves, especially the end of the game where his offense showed no urgency trailing by 7. This year it was the decision to not extend the game despite the fact our QB was handing out early Christmas presents.

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Every coach makes mistakes, but this is the second year in a row Kleiman fumbled a potential win against us. Last year it was mismanagement of the clock at the end of both halves, especially the end of the game where his offense showed no urgency trailing by 7. This year it was the decision to not extend the game despite the fact our QB was handing out early Christmas presents.

I want to say they had a stupid offensive game plan against us in '21 too.  The year we beat them with wildcat.  We were susceptible to the run that year - didn't they keep throwing it with an inexperienced Howard?

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Kst had one of the best red zone offenses .  Texas has one of the worst.  He decided he didn’t want to continue playing a game of purely red zone plays.  Idiot.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/31/2023 at 5:44 PM, Nicole44 said:

Courtesy of the LHN prior to Sark’s presser yesterday. Klieman is a heck of a HC as far as many have mentioned getting the most with less. I know he’s not beat us but as also been said he’s got a Big 12 Trophy. This team has started to gel in the past few weeks. Losses to OSU and Missouri aside (so happy we don’t have to get jobbed by the refs in Stillwater this year.) 

IMG_7841.jpeg

IMG_7842.jpeg

Not today cock goblins!

image.png.a18039f2b43736e9da9156056f276951.png

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Kst had one of the best red zone offenses .  Texas has one of the worst.  He decided he didn’t want to continue playing a game of purely red zone plays.  Idiot.  

He probably figured that his awesome red zone offense had a great chance to end the game in the red zone by being awesome. Whoops.

I want to say they had a stupid offensive game plan against us in '21 too.  The year we beat them with wildcat.  We were susceptible to the run that year - didn't they keep throwing it with an inexperienced Howard?

They did get rid of their OC that offseason lol

3 minutes ago, Victor R. Franko said:

This is the coach aggy should go after.  If he would coach in North Dakota and Kansas, College Station could work.  Offer him Jimbos no fault guarantee deal for 5 years as a start. Dude's in his mid 50's sure seasoned prime for a head coach. 

There's an Iowa podcaster who's based out of KC and is pretty well connected in the energy world.  Some of KSU's largest donors are part of this circle, and said podcaster claims he was told by those guys, who know Kleiman, that he's probably not going to coach at all for much longer.  Apparently behind the scenes he's claimed he's not a lifer, and when he hits a certain nut, that he would hit before he finishes the current contract in Manhattan, he plans to ride off into the sunset.

Who knows, could be totally full of shit.  I'd certainly be just fine with it, so I'm choosing to believe him.