CoTA sounds like it sucks

Updawg

44 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Still no schedule up.   I mean, I'm sure I can take a stab at it and get it pretty close to correct, but should I need to?

The guy who was supposed to be writing the schedule was probably busy writing Prop A, trying to fuck up the MLS stadium.

The level of DGAF out there in regard to the fans is mind bottling.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:11 AM, wood said:

For those waiting for weekend schedule info for the 2019 F1 USGP at COTA, COTA still hasn't published it, but I just received some intel. 

Looks like the supporting series will be Formula 4 & Masters Historic GP. Kool & the Gang will apparently play at the Amphitheater after the GP. 
Imagine Dragons Friday at 8:30. Pink Saturday at 8:00.

No word on a an F1 Fan Forum. No known plans for a Fan Fest, either.

F4 has it on their Calendar so I guess that's confirmed.  Nice that Master's Historic and F4 have their shite together...

https://www.f4uschampionship.com/events/1993045-circuit-of-the-americas-f1-usgp

Bratches departure a concern in COTA contract talks https://racer.com/2019/10/23/bratches-departure-a-concern-in-cota-contract-talks/

From the article:

"COTA has been the home of the USGP since 2012, and is predicting the second-largest crowd in the race’s history – behind the inaugural event in Austin – next weekend."

I keep seeing this lately. COTA told us in 2016 that THAT race was the biggest USGP crowd ever at COTA. If 2016 was the biggest, then why do they keep saying the 2019 crowd will be the second biggest behind only the 2012 USGP? Seems like maybe that 2016 crowd wasn't quite so big after all & they're walking it back a bit.

Remember, this is the same guy who claimed back in August that 2019 USGP reserved seats had already sold out in July, when in fact, they still had hundreds or thousands of seats available. No race at COTA has ever sold out, despite a reduction in reserved seating capacity of 40% or more.

Edited by wood

Epstein the other day re: the upcoming 2019 USGP crowd: 

"...more premium seating areas have been added to meet demand." Epstein: "We're spending more money this year than we did last because we're having to build more structures to accommodate the people"

I wanted to check that out for myself, so I stopped by and took a look. I couldn't see anything different from last year, except they've added a small bank of suites on the outside of T16. There's also an additional section in the turn 9 stands, but the footprint looks exactly the same as last year.

Someone just posted this aerial shot from yesterday on reddit. Still can't find these structures that have supposedly been built to accommodate the extra people. I do believe there's an uptick in sales this year, but not enough to need to add anything significant in terms of handling people. They could have a good increase over last year and still not need more seating, because last year wasn't all that full.

In other words, Bobby's full of shit as usual.

You can click on the pic to go to the higher res version and expand it.

jfcdxf7vg8v31.jpg

Edited by wood

Well they could theoretically meet or break the 2012 number with more GA-- the tickets cost less than grandstand tickets so theoretically more people will be willing to purchase them, if indeed there is high interest in the event this year.

I doubt that's the case, just pointing out that the number of grandstands doesn't necessarily reflect the potential demand.

Anyway, I'll be there, enjoying what I expect to be the 3rd to last USGP at COTA.  

Oh, and I absolutely loved what the track looked like with all those grandstands in 2012 and 2013.  Especially the stair-stepped grandstands up and down Turn1.  Those looked so cool both in person but especially on TV.  It looked so much more like a "grand event" than it does now.

21 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Well they could theoretically meet or break the 2012 number with more GA-- the tickets cost less than grandstand tickets so theoretically more people will be willing to purchase them, if indeed there is high interest in the event this year.

I doubt that's the case, just pointing out that the number of grandstands doesn't necessarily reflect the potential demand.

Anyway, I'll be there, enjoying what I expect to be the 3rd to last USGP at COTA.  

I agree that could be done theoretically. It doesn't really work out that way though. People are much more densely packed into stands than in the same amount of area on the ground. They bring chairs, blankets, and all their shit, & they spread out. COTA makes a big deal out of the GA crowds, but in reality, they look the same or even smaller than they did in 2012-13. 

One of COTA's tricks lately has been trying to take advantage of this notion ... making their 3-day general admission wristband the cheapest ticket to see any of the concerts, and then counting every 3-day g.a. wristband sold as 3-days of GP attendance, regardless of how many days the bearer actually attends, and regardless of whether they ever attend a race session at all. They aren’t getting a count of those wristbands at the gate. The wristbands don’t even have barcodes or anything in/on them that can be scanned to be counted or timestamped.

Judging from the secondary market, I think there may be a bump in interest this year, but COTA will blow it up into some massive increase that really isn't there. He's already talked about a 15% increase over the 112K they supposedly had on Sunday in 2018.

Edited by wood

4 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Stewart Making Stock Car Return at COTA

What I haven't seen is if the track will be open so we can watch, because I would go.

Yeah, same here. I saw the NASCAR/V8SC swap way back. Pretty cool. The NASCAR was faster on the straights, but the V8SC would always slowly reel it in overall. Closer than I thought it would be, but I imagine the V8SC was at a significant HP disadvantage.

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh, and I absolutely loved what the track looked like with all those grandstands in 2012 and 2013.  Especially the stair-stepped grandstands up and down Turn1.  Those looked so cool both in person but especially on TV.  It looked so much more like a "grand event" than it does now.

Yeah the old T1 GS was pretty dramatic looking. When they rebuilt T1 and moved it, they made it a lot smaller as well. I think that was about the same time they cut T12 by half.

4 minutes ago, mcbrisket said:

I wish there was some investment made in shade at COTA at the outset. If they had planted some trees and maybe added some kind of covered areas beyond the main GS, that would've been nice. My pale ass gets cooked out there.

Yeah, the lack of shade is one of the worst things about COTA. One of the conditions for approval by the City was that they plant something like 500-1000 trees from T1-11. Strictly enforced, as you can see ... 

COTA just does what they want, and the State, County, and City just let 'em.

Looks like the need for shade won't be so strong this year.  Highs in the low 60s and partly cloudy.  Previously there was no chances for rain predicted all weekend, now I see some slight chances creeping in on Sunday, which wouldn't actually be the worst thing in the world for generating an exciting race...

Yeah, the lack of shade is one of the worst things about COTA. One of the conditions for approval by the City was that they plant something like 500-1000 trees from T1-11. Strictly enforced, as you can see ... 
COTA just does what they want, and the State, County, and City just let 'em.
Would have been nice if they would have originally done that since they would be a decent size by now. Fairly cheap and would have added shade and some aesthetics
  • Like 2

Cheapass better pay them....

AUSTIN, Texas - Circuit of the Americas has announced that Austinites who are experiencing homelessness or transitioning out of homelessness can apply for a job over Formula 1 USGP weekend.

COTA says it will employ thousands of race weekend workers and it is partnering with Mobile Loves & Fishes and Caritas of Austin to hire as many people connected to those organizations as possible for overnight janitorial jobs for the weekend.

In a news release, COTA chairman Bobby Epstein says, "All of us have a role to play in confronting homelessness in our community. We’re going to do our part at COTA, and I hope other Austin businesses will join us in helping our neighbors achieve their potential."

“We want this to be an ongoing partnership with the groups in our community serving some of the most vulnerable people in our city. Races like the U.S. Grand Prix bring the world to Austin, and I want the world to see a compassionate community working together for everyone,” Epstein adds.

COTA says it will be paying workers $15 an hour, organizing transportation and providing meals and uniforms. Workers will be transported to Del Valle High School before taking a bus to COTA grounds.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/cota-offering-employment-to-homeless-community-during-formula-1-weekend

Here's the best part of that complete steaming pile of bullshit:

I want the world to see a compassionate community working together for everyone,

LOL. The last fucking thing in the world Bobby Epstein is community, or working with it. 

Pretty shameless imho ... using Austin's Homelessness issue as a political pawn in the vendetta against the mayor, and as a vehicle to play up COTA's employment numbers, and just gain media attention in general. Thousands of jobs? Bullshit. Fuck you.

19 minutes ago, wood said:

Here's the best part of that complete steaming pile of bullshit:

LOL. The last fucking thing in the world Bobby Epstein is community, or working with it. 

Pretty shameless imho ... using Austin's Homelessness issue as a political pawn in the vendetta against the mayor, and as a vehicle to play up COTA's employment numbers, and just gain media attention in general. Thousands of jobs? Bullshit. Fuck you.

Oops! I meant: "The last fucking thing in the world Bobby Epstein is concerned about is community, or working with it. "

Edited by wood

14 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Wow that's crazy. Wasn't planning on riding it again but I definitely won't now. Although it would be a lot easier not going through Bastrop/buechler state park

Just heard a little more. Friend is 99% sure they've left COTA, but now there's going to be a starting point in Houston and one in Austin. First leg both groups will ride to LaGrange. Second day they all go to the Tacklebox. Apparently all the starting locations have already been listed except for Austin's.

Just saw this...

2019_TXH_Bike_MS_Texas_MS_150_Route_Map.

Official Start Times

Houston
Energy Corridor Addicks Park N Ride
Start: 6:45 am

Houston
Rhodes Stadium
Start 6:45 am

Houston
Waller Stadium
Rolling start 8:00 am 10:00 am

Austin
TBD