CoTA sounds like it sucks

Updawg

20 hours ago, Mittens said:

Hopefully someone asks him about the bumps, crowd control, parking, etc.

On Speed City Podcast? Not a chance. Those dipshits work for Bobby. One of them is the track color commentator - the country dumbfuck motherfucker you always hear saying stupid shit opposite Jonathan Greene the screaming Aussie. They've never done anything but prop up Bobby's lies and pumpan unbelievable amount of COTA sunshine.

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fuck, I would have loved to ask him if he thinks his brother was murdered or actually committed suicide.

And whether IndyCar is coming back, because they were only supposed to pause on COTA for 2021.  I really want to see Jimmie Johnson race in IndyCar, and have no desire to go to Dallas.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see IndyCar back at COTA. Or WEC, IMSA. VASC, WC, 24H, etc, etc.

Edited by wood

On 2/18/2022 at 10:06 AM, Lobo said:

Due to a gentlemen's agreement with C3 Presents so they could finalize their Las Vegas contract.  Bobby was trying to fuck it up.  Long story that you probably know.

Didn't know. So that's what delayed the F1 extension announcement? Am I reading it right? Wow. And Bobby was fucking with other people's attempts to make deal like he did with MLS here and F1 in Miami? Shocking.

Also, are you saying that C3 is involved with the effort to bring F1 to Vegas?

Edited by wood

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah we did Indycar in 2019 and were planning on 2020 as well, until the coronas happened.  It was a lot of fun and I'd love to see them back.

I didn't know that, just knew that Jimmie Johnson had started in IndyCar last year, and would like to see him.  And I didn't even like him in NASCAR, LOL.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an email that COTA has free entry and parking to the Ferrari Challenge race Saturday.  Those things are a lot of fun to watch.  Usually a bunch of older rich people that are great at playing bumper cars with their Ferraris.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Just got an email that COTA has free entry and parking to the Ferrari Challenge race Saturday.  Those things are a lot of fun to watch.  Usually a bunch of older rich people that are great at playing bumper cars with their Ferraris.  

Same - here are the details. 

Screenshot_20220304-115821_Yahoo Mail.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
Don’t they just release seats slowly?
I doubt it’s all sold out

It’s sold out through COTA. StubHub, etc got them all. Ticket Master is a shit platform. I was #2500 or so in the presale. Get to the front and I’m dropped back in line to 13,000 or so.

It’s sold out through COTA. StubHub, etc got them all. Ticket Master is a shit platform. I was #2500 or so in the presale. Get to the front and I’m dropped back in line to 13,000 or so.

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/blog/2022/3/16/circuit-of-the-americas-upgrades-fan-experience-for-2022-formula-1-u-s-grand-prix?fbclid=IwAR1f9FHmTp7KK6pprWQFfg2y0wbo_HtcAIWpJu58T1bjra7Z4wrquF2oh9M

CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS UPGRADES FAN EXPERIENCE FOR 2022 FORMULA 1 U.S. GRAND PRIX

COTA Enhances Guest Experience by Implementing Upgrades for Transportation, Parking, Concessions, Entertainment and More

• Expanded Hours and Increased Programming
  • Enhanced Shuttle Transportation Program
  • Improved Traffic Plan
  • ADA Enhancements
  • Reduced Wait Times
  • Grand Prix Kids Club STEM Ticket Program
  • Major Concession Stand Expansion
  • New Ticket Packages
  • Lower Race Day Attendance Capacity
  • Expanded Campgrounds 

AUSTIN, TX (March 16, 2022) – After hosting the most attended Formula 1 race weekend of all time in 2021, and in light of unprecedented demand in today’s on sale event for the 2022 Formula 1 Aramco United States Grand Prix on October 21-23, in which all reserve seating has sold out with only limited general admission, camping, and shared hospitality remaining, Circuit of The Americas today unveiled a series of programs to improve fan access and guest experience for this year’s Grand Prix.

“We’re grateful the fans have embraced the annual Formula One United States Grand Prix events and pleased to see so many familiar faces each year, said Circuit of The Americas Chairman, Bobby Epstein. “As this year’s weekend schedule will reveal, our continued success allows us to increase our investment in fan entertainment and improve the guest experiences. As we celebrate our first decade, it’s our goal to make the 2022 Formula One United States Grand Prix one of the greatest sports and entertainment events ever!” 

On 3/16/2022 at 5:57 PM, Updawg said:

Yep.  They seem to have gone to a mode of selling in stages of ticket releases, calling everything 'sold out' once each stage has sold. Kinda like last year when they called it a sellout and then 'found more inventory', whatever that means. They have links to sign up for alerts later on, which means they really aren't done trying to sell tickets, so if you're looking for some, you're probably still going to have tickets to pick from.

1 hour ago, Tex48 said:

I'm going to the NASCAR race next Sunday in Austin. Any advice? I went to COTA for the US F1 GP wondering how different it is to this. 

If you're comparing it to the Formula 1 2021 USGP this past October, then it won't be anywhere near as crowded.  

But last year it still had a good crowd, despite terrible non-stop rain for most of the weekend. 

SIAP and/or was common knowledge. This was news to me.

Spoiler

COTA Chairman: We're building a 'massive amusement park' with plans to open in 2023

As NASCAR pulled out of town Sunday night, Circuit of the Americas Chairman Bobby Epstein touted the track's crowded calendar and plans to give Central Texans more reasons to visit the sprawling sports and entertainment venue.

"We're building a massive amusement park that I hope opens in '23," he told the American-Statesman during NASCAR weekend. "We'll have 30-plus rides and two mega-coasters. One of them will be the first of its kind in the country. It'll be an amusement park to rival any other."

More:Youth movement taking over NASCAR as COTA's EchoPark Automotive Grand Prix weekend starts

COTA already offered a kiddie park featuring a Ferris wheel, carousel, zip lining, a NASCAR ride and go-kart track.

"We've got a lot of room out here, and we'll keep adding events," Epstein said of the 1,500-acre complex.

A COTA study said the track has had a $5 billion impact on the Austin area over its 10 years.

Epstein last month signed a critical new five-year contract with Formula One, the track's marquee event, told the Statesman he expects MotoGP to return for at least five more years and is working with Speedway Motorsports to bring NASCAR back in '23.

The U.S. Grand Prix drew record crowds last October, according to F1 officials, with 140,000 on race day and north of 300,000 for the weekend. The 2022 race on Oct. 23 already is a sellout.

"We got notes from Ticketmaster that the system was overloaded," Epstein said. "Reserve seats sold in a day and general admission in a day and a half."

The MotoGP international bike crowd will be at COTA in two weeks after a stop here last fall. That race has drawn as many as 70,000. NASCAR was in the 50,000 range.

COTA repaved parts of the track where MotoGP and F1 drivers complained about bumps, and Epstein said, "It's repaired, and I think MotoGP will be here a long time — for as long as it makes sense for both of us."

It's a remarkable comeback for a track in financial straits after losing nearly all its business during the pandemic while fending off sales rumors.

"We'll have more than 400 events this year," Epstein said. "Our amphitheater has 40 concerts lined up. Between us and the Moody Center opening up downtown, this should be the best year ever for a music fan. You've got nearly a two-year backlog for touring acts, and they all want to play Austin. There'll be about 100 shows in the city this year between us and Moody."

COTA holds a variety of sports car races, the Cars & Coffee Sunday morning series, Bike Nights, Peppermint Parkway, camping and track rentals to car manufacturers, racing outfits and "we're close to launching a private driving club," Epstein said.

The IndyCar series raced at COTA in 2019 but isn't targeted for a return. Epstein said, "Our three major races (F1, NASCAR, MotoGP) work well with our calendar, so we're happy with that."

Epstein's soccer team, the USL's Austin Bold, was sold and moved to Fort Worth, but COTA still has Major League Rugby's Austin Gilgronis at 5,000-seat Bold Stadium.  "Austin FC has earned great acceptance, so we've moved on from soccer," he said.

The next project is building on the success of F1 in the ATX.

"When I went to Bahrain last week for the season opener, from the time you step off the plane, every column at the airport, all the street lights to downtown are lined with the national flag, F1 banners and checkered flags," Epstein said. "It says, 'something special is happening here.' I want that for Austin.

"This is an international show, a spectacle and we've got to do more to involve all of Austin. This is our 10th anniversary, and it needs to be a celebration. I won't give you the details yet, but you'll see some legendary Austin favorites as part of F1 this year. We've got some announcements coming and we're going big."

F1 and Austin are a perfect match, said Epstein, while also crediting the Netflix series "Drive To Survive," for closing the gap in TV ratings between Formula One and NASCAR in the coveted 18-49 demographic.

"Austin is a tech mecca, and this is the most technologically advanced sport," he said. "We're growing in all areas we hoped, both COTA and F1."

SMI and NASCAR borrowed a page from COTA in bringing a wide variety of entertainment to the weekend.

"They're doing a festival style, using more of our facility for off-track acts to pull in fans," Epstein said. "I love what they're doing because the fans' experience reflects on our track and Austin."

The roller coaster with a corkscrew turn that goes over the track will be a welcome distraction as drivers hit massive potholes and go spinning into infinity.  

Also, will there be six flags at this amusement park?  ;)

48 minutes ago, bolverk said:

"We've got a lot of room out here, and we'll keep adding events," Epstein said of the 1,500-acre complex.

Some trees and places in the shade would be nice outside of the main grandstand. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

SIAP and/or was common knowledge. This was news to me.

Reveal hidden contents

COTA Chairman: We're building a 'massive amusement park' with plans to open in 2023

As NASCAR pulled out of town Sunday night, Circuit of the Americas Chairman Bobby Epstein touted the track's crowded calendar and plans to give Central Texans more reasons to visit the sprawling sports and entertainment venue.

"We're building a massive amusement park that I hope opens in '23," he told the American-Statesman during NASCAR weekend. "We'll have 30-plus rides and two mega-coasters. One of them will be the first of its kind in the country. It'll be an amusement park to rival any other."

More:Youth movement taking over NASCAR as COTA's EchoPark Automotive Grand Prix weekend starts

COTA already offered a kiddie park featuring a Ferris wheel, carousel, zip lining, a NASCAR ride and go-kart track.

A COTA study said the track has had a $5 billion impact on the Austin area over its 10 years.

Epstein last month signed a critical new five-year contract with Formula One, the track's marquee event, told the Statesman he expects MotoGP to return for at least five more years and is working with Speedway Motorsports to bring NASCAR back in '23.

The U.S. Grand Prix drew record crowds last October, according to F1 officials, with 140,000 on race day and north of 300,000 for the weekend. The 2022 race on Oct. 23 already is a sellout.

"We got notes from Ticketmaster that the system was overloaded," Epstein said. "Reserve seats sold in a day and general admission in a day and a half."

The MotoGP international bike crowd will be at COTA in two weeks after a stop here last fall. That race has drawn as many as 70,000. NASCAR was in the 50,000 range.

COTA repaved parts of the track where MotoGP and F1 drivers complained about bumps, and Epstein said, "It's repaired, and I think MotoGP will be here a long time — for as long as it makes sense for both of us."

It's a remarkable comeback for a track in financial straits after losing nearly all its business during the pandemic while fending off sales rumors.

"We'll have more than 400 events this year," Epstein said. "Our amphitheater has 40 concerts lined up. Between us and the Moody Center opening up downtown, this should be the best year ever for a music fan. You've got nearly a two-year backlog for touring acts, and they all want to play Austin. There'll be about 100 shows in the city this year between us and Moody."

COTA holds a variety of sports car races, the Cars & Coffee Sunday morning series, Bike Nights, Peppermint Parkway, camping and track rentals to car manufacturers, racing outfits and "we're close to launching a private driving club," Epstein said.

The IndyCar series raced at COTA in 2019 but isn't targeted for a return. Epstein said, "Our three major races (F1, NASCAR, MotoGP) work well with our calendar, so we're happy with that."

Epstein's soccer team, the USL's Austin Bold, was sold and moved to Fort Worth, but COTA still has Major League Rugby's Austin Gilgronis at 5,000-seat Bold Stadium.  "Austin FC has earned great acceptance, so we've moved on from soccer," he said.

The next project is building on the success of F1 in the ATX.

"When I went to Bahrain last week for the season opener, from the time you step off the plane, every column at the airport, all the street lights to downtown are lined with the national flag, F1 banners and checkered flags," Epstein said. "It says, 'something special is happening here.' I want that for Austin.

"This is an international show, a spectacle and we've got to do more to involve all of Austin. This is our 10th anniversary, and it needs to be a celebration. I won't give you the details yet, but you'll see some legendary Austin favorites as part of F1 this year. We've got some announcements coming and we're going big."

F1 and Austin are a perfect match, said Epstein, while also crediting the Netflix series "Drive To Survive," for closing the gap in TV ratings between Formula One and NASCAR in the coveted 18-49 demographic.

"Austin is a tech mecca, and this is the most technologically advanced sport," he said. "We're growing in all areas we hoped, both COTA and F1."

SMI and NASCAR borrowed a page from COTA in bringing a wide variety of entertainment to the weekend.

"They're doing a festival style, using more of our facility for off-track acts to pull in fans," Epstein said. "I love what they're doing because the fans' experience reflects on our track and Austin."

Yeah, we'll see. He's been talking this talk for 10 years.

8 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Yep. This. Like I said when he put the first ride out there, I'm not getting on any amusement park ride built and/or maintained by Bobby.

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

The roller coaster with a corkscrew turn that goes over the track will be a welcome distraction as drivers hit massive potholes and go spinning into infinity.  

Also, will there be six flags at this amusement park?  ;)

LOL. Yep. I got to ride along on the track recently, and it's actually in a lot better shape right now since the last bit of resurfacing - but there are still some bumpy bits, like the main straight, the T1 braking zone, the apex of 2, apex of 10 (still), apex of 18, back stretch, etc. At least two cars spun off at 10 during the NASCAR weekend, and I've never seen a car lose it there before. It'll be interesting to see how the surface holds up. My money is on 'not well' ... and these new F1 cars will need it to hold up well.

Edited by wood

17 hours ago, wood said:

My money is on 'not well' ... and these new F1 cars will need it to hold up well.

We’re you out there last Wednesday?

I still don’t mind the bumps but I think your bet is safe of it not holding up well. And, from watching the last two F1 races, the new cars, and the drivers backs, are going to get destroyed there.  

24 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

We’re you out there last Wednesday?

I still don’t mind the bumps but I think your bet is safe of it not holding up well. And, from watching the last two F1 races, the new cars, and the drivers backs, are going to get destroyed there.  

No, it was early March. And yeah, I agree with all of that. The bumps aren't too bad right now, at least in road cars, but I definitely do not expect that to last. This most recent resurfacing was at least the 2nd time T2 and T10 have been fully resurfaced. If the track were stable in the long term or even the medium term, they wouldn't have needed resurfacing this time.

Back when COTA did that press release about the most recent resurfacing, I showed it to Jarno Zaffelli, the Italian guy who oversaw the repairs & complete re-paving of Silverstone, and the recent repairs and upgrades at Spa. His response was (quoting here):

"  1f923.png1f923.png1f923.png1f923.png  

Concrete pads? Two pavers? Few rollers? It seems only a statement to address who is saying they didn’t use experts. If they used someone, it was not one of the best two 😆. Concrete and asphalt doesn’t work well together… both on expansive clays… 🧐  "

Edited by wood

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, so Friday MotoGP... quick question... I know its the quietest day on the track since its only free practice and a Friday... can you just drive up and pay cash parking at Lot T without a pass?  I've always gone with a pass but since I'm only going on Friday, I opted to not buy one in advance.  Wanted to at least get one day in of the atmosphere, the bikes, sounds, etc.  

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Hey, so Friday MotoGP... quick question... I know its the quietest day on the track since its only free practice and a Friday... can you just drive up and pay cash parking at Lot T without a pass?  I've always gone with a pass but since I'm only going on Friday, I opted to not buy one in advance.  Wanted to at least get one day in of the atmosphere, the bikes, sounds, etc.  

Danny & Carmen are your friends. They're on Elroy Rd across from the fire station ... about a 30 second walk from your car to Lot T. Quite a bit cheaper than COTA. They will reserve you space in their yard if you prepay with Venmo, or you can chance it by driving up. For MotoGP, I'm guessing they aren't sold out, esp for Friday, but who knows. Another plus is that your money won't be going to a giant POS. Good folks.

aJAvVsp4sRItBXecPukY_9Xsc1WHPRGQy9DmqPwt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Danny & Carmen are your friends. They're on Elroy Rd across from the fire station ... about a 30 second walk from your car to Lot T. Quite a bit cheaper than COTA. They will reserve you space in their yard if you prepay with Venmo, or you can chance it by driving up. For MotoGP, I'm guessing they aren't sold out, esp for Friday, but who knows. Another plus is that your money won't be going to a giant POS. Good folks.

aJAvVsp4sRItBXecPukY_9Xsc1WHPRGQy9DmqPwt

That's just it... I'm thinking Friday will be very quiet.  Even qualifying day has a totally different vibe than race day.

So, here's what I can't figure out...

COTA app says lots open at 9 AM tomorrow, gates open at 9:30 AM.  BUT... supposedly Moto2 FP1 starts at 9 AM.  Somewhere else, I thought I saw gates opened at 8 AM.  So, which is it?  Anyone know?

MotoGP - FP1 for Moto2 at 9 AM - https://www.motogp.com/en/event/Americas#schedule (click Friday)  also https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2022/04/06/red-bull-gp-of-the-americas-new-look-time-schedule-in-place/413324

COTA - Lots open at 9 AM, no mention of Moto2 FP1 - http://circuitoftheamericas.com/motogp/schedule

So ???

I'd rather get there early since I can only be there a few hours but there's not much clarity on when I can actually go in.

15 hours ago, texasdago said:

So, here's what I can't figure out...

COTA app says lots open at 9 AM tomorrow, gates open at 9:30 AM.  BUT... supposedly Moto2 FP1 starts at 9 AM.  Somewhere else, I thought I saw gates opened at 8 AM.  So, which is it?  Anyone know?

MotoGP - FP1 for Moto2 at 9 AM - https://www.motogp.com/en/event/Americas#schedule (click Friday)  also https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2022/04/06/red-bull-gp-of-the-americas-new-look-time-schedule-in-place/413324

COTA - Lots open at 9 AM, no mention of Moto2 FP1 - http://circuitoftheamericas.com/motogp/schedule

So ???

I'd rather get there early since I can only be there a few hours but there's not much clarity on when I can actually go in.

Yeah, get there early. There should be a way in. I remember this same thing happening for races in the past, including last year's USGP.

Typical COTA fuckupery.