CoTA sounds like it sucks

Updawg

Thinking about it, I'd say the people who live downtown and just south of the river along Barton Springs/South Lamar/South Congress/South First have it much worse.  Between two ACL weekends in October, 5-6 Texas home games, SXSW in March, various 10Ks and marathons on city streets, and numerous other festivals and events, that's considerably more disruptions to their daily routines, infrastructure, and basic services, than the good folk of Elroy experience in an average year.

It's not a competition, but if we're going to spare some sorrow for the people living around COTA, than the ones who live in or near downtown deserve even more.  Or should we tell THEM to just just up and move? :)

I'll admit that as a native Austinite, I'm happy to tell anyone in town to just shut up and move.  Put me in, coach!

I've been to a random concert out there during the week, and couldn't get service. I think the issue is that the network out there is built for a rural area, and anytime an event is held, no matter the size of attendance, it overwhelms it. So yes, for the large events, they bring in the portable solutions, but that is not likely something that happens for EVERY event.

Your comparison to downtown doesn't really hold any water, because it is an extremely high density area by design. And has the infrastructure to function as such on a daily basis. Also, downtown has been downtown for a hundred years. Elroy was Elroy until 10 years ago. Telling folks to move from an area their families have lived for likely much longer than the idea of the track seems pretty selfish. The track should be responsible to for improving the infrastructure to handle the problem they created.

Otherwise, it should have been put in an area that would not disrupt anyone.

It all comes back to the fact that ownership of the track does absolutely the bare fucking minimum, for EVERYTHING. Which is really a shame. I had so much hope those first few years for truly a fantastic experience. At this point, I'll be surprised if races are still being held there in 10 years time. 

i was back in north austin by Q2 stadium by 4:40.   cell service sucked but it was the same as at other big events i've been to.  beer was far more available and i was able to get from T1 to the restroom and get a shit ton of beer in the short amount of time between flipping off the whales on flatbeds and the warm up lap.  shockingly fast.  only thing that wasn't an improvement from last year was the lack of flyover, which i'm guessing was parachutes that couldn't go because it was really fucking windy.  kinda ticked i never activated the cash app card i'd gotten this spring for something on slickdeals because then all that beer would have been 15% off. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I certainly understand the challenges they face and feel for them, but is it really "throughout the year?"  As we all point out regularly, it's not like they're hosting a lot of bigtime races.  There's no other event out there that draws anywhere close to what F1 draws or puts that kind of strain on the infrastructure, except maybe the Rolling Stones concert, which only happened once.  I guess maybe NASCAR could be big enough to cause some problems, so twice per year on average?

Yeah. As far as racing goes, there's F1, MotoGP, and NASCAR. That's at least 9 days. Granted, the latter 2 don't cause the same magnitude of disruption as F1, but they do cause significant issues that just aren't quite as severe or long-lasting as F1. Then there's several weeks of traffic tie-ups caused by the Peppermint Parkway light show. Cars start clogging the roads out there around 5 or 6pm, and it continues well into the night. According to COTA there's also 30-50 music events, expos, etc. Those don't cause F1 problems, but they do still cause significant traffic issues ... except when it's the Rolling Stones and there's yet another huge logistical fiasco.

And the NASCAR crowd is really similar in size to the MotoGP crowd btw.

Edited by wood

29 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Thinking about it, I'd say the people who live downtown and just south of the river along Barton Springs/South Lamar/South Congress/South First have it much worse.  Between two ACL weekends in October, 5-6 Texas home games, SXSW in March, various 10Ks and marathons on city streets, and numerous other festivals and events, that's considerably more disruptions to their daily routines, infrastructure, and basic services, than the good folk of Elroy experience in an average year.

It's not a competition, but if we're going to spare some sorrow for the people living around COTA, than the ones who live in or near downtown deserve even more.  Or should we tell THEM to just just up and move? :)

I'll admit that as a native Austinite, I'm happy to tell anyone in town to just shut up and move.  Put me in, coach!

True, esp re: the Barton Hills folks, but two wrongs don't make a right. The fact that others have the same issues due to big events doesn't invalidate these people's complaints. And for the folks near DKR there's generally 5 days of UT football in Austin per year.  The folks in Elroy deal with about 100 days of disruptions a year.

Edited by wood

9 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah. As far as racing goes, there's F1, MotoGP, and NASCAR. That's at least 9 days. Granted, the latter 2 don't cause the same magnitude of disruption as F1, but they do cause significant issues that just aren't quite as severe or long-lasting as F1. Then there's several weeks of traffic tie-ups caused by the Peppermint Parkway light show. Cars start clogging the roads out there around 5 or 6pm, and it continues well into the night. According to COTA there's also 30-50 music events, expos, etc. Those don't cause F1 problems, but they do still cause significant traffic issues ... except when it's the Rolling Stones and there's yet another huge logistical fiasco.

Eh, I guess.  People like to complain about pretty much anything and everything. I've been to plenty of concerts out there that were in the amphitheater and not had any worse parking/traffic issues than I ever did parking downtown for concerts at the Erwin Center.  And those issues were all related to just getting out of the parking lot at COTA, and didn't impact the neighborhood streets at all.  And I don't recall ever having an issue with cell service at any of those concerts, either.

Edited by utee94

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Eh, I guess.  People like to complain about pretty much anything and everything. I've been to plenty of concerts out there that were in the amphitheater and not had any worse parking/traffic issues than I ever did parking downtown for concerts at the Erwin Center.  And those issues were all related to just getting out of the parking lot at COTA, and didn't impact the neighborhood streets at all.  And I've certainly never had an issue with cell service at any of those concerts, either.

Parking downtown for concerts is one thing, and it's not affecting many local residents. These people didn't move in next to COTA. COTA moved in next to them, and they had no choice in the matter. I know people out there who tell me that the concerts do very often give them significant delays getting to or from home. Just because it's just as bad in other areas doesn't mean this isn't a problem.  The people in Barton Hills complain about the disruptions too. The complaints are valid, no matter who's doing the complaining.

I'm guessing that if you lived out there, you'd have a different take on it. 

Edited by wood

Just now, wood said:

Parking downtown for concerts is one thing, and it's not affecting many local residents. These people didn't move in next to COTA. COTA moved in next to them, and they had no choice in the matter. I know people out there who tell me that the concerts do very often give them significant delays getting to or from home. Just because it's just as bad in other areas doesn't mean this isn't a problem. 

I'm guessing that if you lived out there, you'd have a different take on it. 

Maybe so.  Maybe I'd be happy to be closer to the venue.  Couldn't say for sure without actually having done it.

Which I never will, because why on Earth would I ever willingly choose to live so close to a neighborhood nuisance????? 

18 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i was back in north austin by Q2 stadium by 4:40.   cell service sucked but it was the same as at other big events i've been to.  beer was far more available and i was able to get from T1 to the restroom and get a shit ton of beer in the short amount of time between flipping off the whales on flatbeds and the warm up lap.  shockingly fast.  only thing that wasn't an improvement from last year was the lack of flyover, which i'm guessing was parachutes that couldn't go because it was really fucking windy.  kinda ticked i never activated the cash app card i'd gotten this spring for something on slickdeals because then all that beer would have been 15% off. 

You could probably sell your secret routes for big money. :)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Maybe so.  Maybe I'd be happy to be closer to the venue.  Couldn't say for sure without actually having done it.

Which I never will, because why on Earth would I ever willingly choose to live so close to a neighborhood nuisance????? 

Exactly, and it wouldn't be worth the hassle for the few days a year you'd probably actually go to COTA.

I remember when people used to move in next to Mueller Airport and then complain about the noise of low-flying planes. The airport opened in 1930. This was in the 90s.

That's not what this is.

Most of these people have been in those homes since long before COTA was even announced.

For most of the people there, moving isn't much of an option, as they can't afford to move in this market, and would have trouble selling their homes close to the track in the first place (because of these very problems), etc. Hell, I live in SW Austin and my house is paid off. I still can't move to anything remotely comparable to my home if I want to stay in the Austin area.

• 1 month later...

Facebook COTA Ticket Exchange members are posting about the new PSL ticket and parking bills they just got. People saying their bills have gone up as much as 70% for 2023, and many of them saying they're done with it all. One guy I know paid $1300 last year and just got his bill for more than $1800 for 2023 One chick posted this ...

319035706_10167617434610392_263723118886

... so I dug a little and found pricing on COTA's website. Prepare thy exit holes ...

3-day GA: $475+

3-day T1: $900 - $1125+

T2: $990 - $1050+

T4: same

T6: $1050 - $1125+

T9: $500 - $600+

T12: $540 - $780+

T15: $875 - $1170+

T19: $575 - $650+

3-day Parking $275+

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

COTA has always been pricey, but Miami and Vegas setting the USA market super-high isn't helping.  The cheapest grandstand seat I can find in Miami is $1300.  And I'd expect Las Vegas to be at least as high as Miami.

Las Vegas will be higher than the other two, but not by as much as I was anticipating. These COTA increases are pretty massive.

Oh, and something I forgot to mention above: My friend with the PSL emailed COTA about it and they said the prices were correct, and that he should probably be happy because these are the 'discounted' PSL prices and that public-sale tickets will be priced about 40% higher than that. They also seem to be using the 'added value' of a Sprint weekend as a big part of their rationale, which is laughable.

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

COTA has always been pricey, but Miami and Vegas setting the USA market super-high isn't helping.  The cheapest grandstand seat I can find in Miami is $1300.  And I'd expect Las Vegas to be at least as high as Miami.

Think I paid $199 (maybe $249?) for GA in 2019. So it's roughly doubled.

Just so not worth it. 

If you're going to spend that much for a grandstand, fly somewhere more exotic and make a trip out of it. You might end up spending more, but at least it's a great experience compared to "the racetrack out by the airport."

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, wood said:

Las Vegas will be higher than the other two, but not by as much as I was anticipating. These COTA increases are pretty massive.

Oh, and something I forgot to mention above: My friend with the PSL emailed COTA about it and they said the prices were correct, and that he should probably be happy because these are the 'discounted' PSL prices and that public-sale tickets will be priced about 40% higher than that. They also seem to be using the 'added value' of a Sprint weekend as a big part of their rationale, which is laughable.

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just so not worth it. 

If you're going to spend that much for a grandstand, fly somewhere more exotic and make a trip out of it. You might end up spending more, but at least it's a great experience compared to "the racetrack out by the airport."

Like I said, the US market is now being set by Miami and Las Vegas.  COTA would be silly not to adjust to that.  You can certainly decide that the value isn't there for you, plenty of people have and more will in the coming years.  But blaming COTA for adjusting to the market doesn't make any sense.

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just so not worth it. 

Yeah I spent less on both my trips to Montreal than I would just for COTA GA tickets (the whole trips, not just the tickets). I've paid for my last Saturday or Sunday out there, & likely won't be there Friday this year either, since Qualifying will drive up normally low Friday prices.

Edited by wood

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Like I said, the US market is now being set by Miami and Las Vegas.  COTA would be silly not to adjust to that.  You can certainly decide that the value isn't there for you, plenty of people have and more will in the coming years.  But blaming COTA for adjusting to the market doesn't make any sense.

I just reported the changes. Didn't blame them, except for their idiotic rationale (and the fact that prices won't drop once the Sprint race is gone).

Just now, wood said:

Yeah I spent less on both my trips to Montreal than I would just for COTA GA tickets (the whole trips, not just the tickets). I've paid for my last Saturday or Sunday out there, & likely won't be there Friday this year either, since Qualifying will drive up normally low Friday prices.

I'm not sure how that works out.  Did you crash on a friend's sofa?  Stay in a yurt in Nova Scotia and backpack in daily?

I priced a trip to Montreal for my wife and me, and it would have been 2x-3x what I was spending on a weekend at COTA, even before buying the race tickets.  

Just now, utee94 said:

I'm not sure how that works out.  Did you crash on a friend's sofa?  Stay in a yurt in Nova Scotia and backpack in daily?

I priced a trip to Montreal for my wife and me, and it would have been 2x-3x what I was spending on a weekend at COTA, even before buying the race tickets.  

Nope. Ruby Foo's the first time, and an AirBNB the second. Cheap flight to Hartford, & drove in. Cheap grandstand tickets.

1 minute ago, wood said:

Nope. Ruby Foo's the first time, and an AirBNB the second. Cheap flight to Hartford, & drove in. Cheap grandstand tickets.

If you say so.  When I priced it, the plane tickets alone made the trip almost double.  Then add on hotel, meals, beverages, and race tickets.  It wasn't even close.

Edited by utee94

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

If you say so.  When I priced it, the plane tickets alone made the trip almost double.  Then add on hotel, meals, beverages, and race tickets.  It wasn't even close.

We did a family of three to the Canadian GP this year for about $3k all in. So if we bought GA at COTA instead? Yeah, it's cheaper. 

But a grandstand ticket and you are bumping up against that price, and then add in parking/food.

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Tickets to Montreal are generally much more expensive than some other places fairly nearby.  You can save a lot just on that. You can also save a lot by not trying to stay downtown, and there's no need to anyway, given the great Metro. I can get 2023 Montreal GS tickets for less than half of COTA GA tickets. You can get a hairpin GS seat for less than a COTA 3-Day GA. And that includes fees and and is in Canadian dollars. You can seat a family of 4 in the Family GS for a little more than 1 COTA GA ticket costs. Even if cost a little more, I'd much rather spend the difference in ticket prices on an awesome Montreal experience than spend $2200 on 4 GA tickets to SE Travis County and the shitshow that comes with it.

Edited by wood

Actually, my bad. With the currency conversion, a family of 4 can sit in the Family GS in Montreal for probably a bit less than what 1 COTA GA ticket will cost with taxes and fees included for both.

Also, the COTA GA increase is 45%, not 75%. My typing skills are going to shit.

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, wood said:

Actually, my bad. With the currency conversion, a family of 4 can sit in the Family GS in Montreal for probably a bit less than what 1 COTA GA ticket will cost with taxes and fees included for both.

Also, the COTA GA increase is 45%, not 75%. My typing skills are going to shit.

As I've stated many times, the ticket price in Canada has not been the determining factor.  You're okay with driving in from a place like Hartford and that's okay, but I'm not.  For me, after pricing it out, a trip to the Canadian GP is substantially more expensive than staying here in Austin.

Now, would I like to go to Montreal?  Sure.  But then, there's a lot of places I'd like to go even more, if I'm spending that money.

Anyway, COTA prices are going up to match the market, and it's certainly possible that it'll price ME out. We'll see when my buddy with the PSL is about to place his order.  

13 minutes ago, wood said:

Welp. There are different ways to travel, and like I said, I'd rather spend that crazy price difference on the travel to a great place than on another COTA shitshow ass-raping.

Just saw these posts ...

(6) GP Americas _ Facebook - Google Chrome 12_8_2022 4_12_20 PM 3.png

(6) GP Americas _ Facebook - Google Chrome 12_8_2022 4_12_20 PM 2.png

Yes, I recognize that the fact that I live in Austin and consequently travel expenses are almost nonexistent for me, affects the math.  That's pretty much my point.

Edited by utee94

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yes, I recognize that the fact that I live in Austin and consequently travel expenses are almost nonexistent for me, affects the math.  That's pretty much my point.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. We're just talking about the prices and what else is available for a similar amount of money. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't go to the USGP. If they have the money to justify that kind of expense for a car race, then more power to 'em.

The fact that we can go to the Canadian GP and sit in reserved seats for an amount that's even in the same ballpark as staying here to go sit in GA at the USGP is remarkable. And then when you look at it through the lens of someone who has to fly here for the USGP and is comparing the overall cost to other events they can attend, that's a really compelling perspective imho.

BTW, did camping prices go up? I haven't heard anything about that either way.

2 minutes ago, wood said:

I'm not sure what you're arguing. We're just talking about the prices and what else is available for a similar amount of money. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't go to the USGP. If they have the money to justify that kind of expense for a car race, then more power to 'em.

The fact that we can go to the Canadian GP and sit in reserved seats for an amount that's even in the same ballpark as staying here to go sit in GA at the USGP is remarkable. And then when you look at it through the lens of someone who has to fly here for the USGP and is comparing the overall cost to other events they can attend, that's a really compelling perspective imho.

BTW, did camping prices go up? I haven't heard anything about that either way.

I don't know yet, but given the apparent increase in ticket prices people are already seeing, I'll be shocked if it didn't.  If the total combination gets up into the same range as going abroad to see a race, then I'd certainly consider skipping COTA and going elsewhere.

Although the elsewhere I really want to go, is Spa.  And since they moved Spa up before the summer break and it will no longer interfere with the beginning of the schoolyear, I'm strongly considering going to Belgium in July 2023! :)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I don't know yet, but given the apparent increase in ticket prices people are already seeing, I'll be shocked if it didn't.  If the total combination gets up into the same range as going abroad to see a race, then I'd certainly consider skipping COTA and going elsewhere.

Although the elsewhere I really want to go, is Spa.  And since they moved Spa up before the summer break and it will no longer interfere with the beginning of the schoolyear, I'm strongly considering going to Belgium in July 2023! :)

That would be epic. BTW I still haven't seen anything re: camping, but the PSL guys are saying Lot A parking went from around $150 to $515 for 2023. Tons of 'em saying they're done.

ETA: Dry Camping is listed as $850+. Don't see an RV price though. Probably don't wanna publicize it.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

That would be epic. BTW I still haven't seen anything re: camping, but the PSL guys are saying Lot A parking went from around $150 to $515 for 2023. Tons of 'em saying they're done.

ETA: Dry Camping is listed as $850+. Don't see an RV price though. Probably don't wanna publicize it.

Our section of RV camping in Lot N is dry.  No hookups, boondocking only. We bring in all of our own water and our generator.

It was $600 last year so $850 is probably less of an increase than I expected, I figured they'd hit $1,000.

The RV section along the back straight was previously $10K so I can only imagine what they'll charge now.

Edited by utee94

OK so my 2 tix this year in the T15 grandstands, will be $1180.  I don't remember exactly what I paid last year but that's only up maybe $100-$150 total, so $50-$75 per ticket? That's definitely not in line with what other PSL folks are saying, so I have no idea what's up.  Maybe my PSL buddy regularly blows Bobby Epstein and doesn't tell anyone about it?

The camping isn't on the invoice.  But that $850 sounds likely, when it was $600 before.  When we started camping... 7 years ago I guess... it was $400. 

Damn. Crazy prices. I paid $200 the first year and have gotten hooked up ever since. Although I skipped last year because I didn’t have a hookup and didn’t want to deal with the cluster.

If they can get that money good for them but I think this may be a short term thing and they won’t get many return customers. But people are going I guess

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Damn. Crazy prices. I paid $200 the first year and have gotten hooked up ever since. Although I skipped last year because I didn’t have a hookup and didn’t want to deal with the cluster.

If they can get that money good for them but I think this may be a short term thing and they won’t get many return customers. But people are going I guess

People will still go, for sure, but a lot of people are saying they're done. 

Saw this on reddit, summarizing the recent  increases in a 3-day GA ticket + general parking. Since you were last at COTA, that total has gone from $289 to $750.

3 Day GA Ticket     Parking       Total
F1 2021          $189         $100      $289
F1 2022          $320         $195      $515
F1 2023          $475         $275      $750

Edited by wood

^Oh, and those prices don't include taxes or the crazy ticketmaster fees. A 3-day GA ticket, for example, will end up costing $550 or more all in. A parking pass will be at least $300, so now you're looking at a total of at least $850 for one 2023 GA ticket and parking.

Oof. Just saw this on Autosport in reference to F1 ticket price increases. Here are the 2023 prices for the Australian Grand Prix grandstands (in Australian dollars. 1 AUD = 0.68 USD at the moment). You could sit in the most expensive grandstand in Melbourne for less than the cost of GA at COTA ... about $421 US. 4-Day GA is $168 US. And when you consider the amazing lineup of racing action that GP puts on track every year, it's just fantastic. And they give free tram rides to the circuit for ticket holders, so no parking or bus fees ... so for about $168 you get much more than what it would cost you $750 + fees & tickets at COTA.

GRANDSTAND        4-DAY    2-DAY    SUN    SAT    FRI
Brabham Grandstand    $625    $550    $485    $340    $105

Spoiler

Jones Grandstand    $625    $550    $485    $340    $105
Fangio Grandstand    $525    $460    $410    $285    $105
Hill Grandstand        $525    $460    $410    $285    $105
Prost Grandstand    $525    $460    $410    $285    $105
Ricciardo Grandstand    $525    $460    $410    $285    $105
Lauda Grandstand    $440    $390    $345    $240    $105
Moss Grandstand        $440    $390    $345    $240    $105
Schumacher Grandstand    $440    $390    $345    $240    $105
Senna Grandstand    $440    $390    $345    $240    $105
Stewart Grandstand    $440    $390    $345    $240    $105
Vettel Grandstand    $440    $390    $345    $240    $105
Button Grandstand    $415    $365    $325    $225    $105
Clark Grandstand    $415    $365    $325    $225    $105
Waite Grandstand    $415    $365    $325    $225    $105
Webber Grandstand    $415    $365    $325    $225    $105
The most expensive stands are on the main straight and around the first or last corners.

A 4 day Park Pass (GA) for an adult is $250, $125 for Sunday only, $110 for Saturday, $70 Friday and $40 Thursday.

Trams from the city to Albert Park are free for ticket holders, or it is 30-45 minute walk.

For 2023 the weekend includes FIA F2 and F3 championship races. 

And, as usual, the event holds championship races for the Supercars series.

There is usually also some historic demonstrations. 

5 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Didn't realize that Live Nation pulled out completely from Formula 1 production.  I knew there were issues, but completely gone from it and turned over to Liberty, at least for the 3 domestic races.  Lots of bad blood to boot.  Ah well.  

What happened? Seems like I remember there being some friction over Vegas or something, but I've slept multiple times since then, so I can't remember shit about it.

Edited by wood

• 2 months later...

FYI, COTA announced a new ticket option for this year: Saturday & Sunday GA (no Friday) for $425 + fees & taxes. That's about $500-525 all-in. That's compared to the $475 3-day GA ticket price, which is around $575 or more all-in. 

Oh, and now they're offering payment plans, lol. I guess some folks are gonna need 'em with prices like those. 

35 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Yet still the least expensive F1 ticket in USA

Cheapest in the US without parking, which I'm guessing Vegas won't even sell, because it won't be needed. Most people would be looking at about a $900 minimum for a 3 day GA pass at COTA with parking, or $850 for 2 days, vs about $550-600 total for Vegas. And I love how almost tripling in 2 years is couched as 'price creep'. 

Edited by wood

It is crazy how expensive it has got. I think I paid $200 the first year for a good seat. Been hooked up with free tickets ever since luckily.

Can’t blame them for getting all they can I guess. But I wish they would at least plant some trees or something with that extra money.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Updawg said:

It is crazy how expensive it has got. I think I paid $200 the first year for a good seat. Been hooked up with free tickets ever since luckily.

Can’t blame them for getting all they can I guess. But I wish they would at least plant some trees or something with that extra money.

You'll get nothing and like it.

The real key is to have access to the hospitality tents and Velocity Lounge.  That makes the sunshine bearable and even enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

Anyone at MotoGP this weekend?  Thanks to the assorted crap with kid schedules I usually just take in some Friday free practice.  Got a turn 15 ticket on StubHub for today for $6.  Just enjoying a few hours. Better than nothing. 

Edited by texasdago

34 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Anyone at MotoGP this weekend?  Thanks to the assorted crap with kid schedules I usually just take in some Friday free practice.  Got a turn 15 ticket on StubHub for today for $6.  Just enjoying a few hours. Better than nothing. 

I did the same, but for my kid. He just left. I was gonna go, but I felt like dogshit all day with our awesome springtime allergen assortment, and ended up with a migraine so bad that it made puke last night. So I'ma sit this one out & head out there next weekend for World Challenge. /csb

Have a good time!