CoTA sounds like it sucks

Updawg

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Well sure, but they're going to lie about it anyway, as you say they always have.

For me personally, I'd just as soon have them on FRI/SAT and not SUN.  But I'll be there from THU-MON, camping in Lot N, so my attendance is already taken for granted. :)

Yeah, mine, too, pretty much. And yeah, they've always lied. This will just help them lie even bigger than ever before. They'll still say they have 100k+ on Sunday, which they won't, but now they'll also say they have IDK, 50-80k on Friday, which will be a huge lie. Just wait. They'll claim a new record crowd, but the race crowd will be same or smaller than last year.

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yeah, I mean I’d rather have awesome racing events in my home state than not have them. Seems like not everyone has that sentiment, though.

Sure, but at what cost (and I don't just mean that in a monetary sense). I'd rather have racing closeby, too, if we could do that without having the circuit lie and cheat their asses off to secure massive State funding. Nobody wants good racing here more than I do. But I'm not willing to sell my soul for some pos asshole billionaire to pillage $2-300M of State money so he can hold races close to my house ... esp one who only cares about the racing to the extent of how much money it will bring in from the State. Fuck that shit.. There's lots good racing in this State and elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Sure, but at what cost (and I don't just mean that in a monetary sense). I'd rather have racing closeby, too, if we could do that without having the circuit lie and cheat their asses off to secure massive State funding. Nobody wants good racing here more than I do. But I'm not willing to sell my soul for some pos asshole billionaire to pillage $2-300M of State money so he can hold races close to my house ... esp one who only cares about the racing to the extent of how much money it will bring in from the State. Fuck that shit.. There's lots good racing in this State and elsewhere. 

you probably shouldn't be watching F1, then

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

this really isn't any different than any other sporting event.

Except it is. Sure, sports events lie all the time about attendance. Most of them don't get big gubment welfare checks based on those very lies, though. None of them have gotten as much as COTA has to my knowledge. I'm pretty sure no privately owned sports facility in the world has ever gotten even close to this amount of public funding. Seems like a business that's received $200M so far should have some kind of transparency and be held accountable. He's been guarding COTA's books with his life.  I wonder why.

Edited by wood

18 minutes ago, elfenix said:

yeah, most of them get big government welfare checks based on the lie that it  helps the economy.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/13/8947301/john-oliver-sports-stadiums-video

I don't think most do, esp races in the U.S., but even if they do, it's all very wrong if they're using corrupt means of securing the subsidy, which in this case is massive and is the only thing keeping the event and indeed the track alive. In most of these deals, though, the government entity putting in the money usually ends up with some kind of ownership in the event or the venue.  The USGP is the only race in F1 history to receive big government funding where the government doesn't own a portion of either the event, the track or the land.

Edited by wood

Most of the European races include heavy government subsidies.  Sure, they might own the track, or the event, or both, but in most cases they're not coming anywhere close to breaking even so the taxpayers are still footing the bill for the event.  

If your beef is that in the US, it's resulting in one ownership group benefiting at the expense of the taxpayers, I can see that, but in other countries it's just politicians getting bought off and dirty deals under the table to quasi-sponsors and partners, and the taxpayers are still getting screwed.

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Most of the European races include heavy government subsidies.  Sure, they might own the track, or the event, or both, but in most cases they're not coming anywhere close to breaking even so the taxpayers are still footing the bill for the event.  

If your beef is that in the US, it's resulting in one ownership group benefiting at the expense of the taxpayers, I can see that, but in other countries it's just politicians getting bought off and dirty deals under the table to quasi-sponsors and partners, and the taxpayers are still getting screwed.

I agree the people are getting screwed on some of these deals elsewhere. Why should that lead me to just turn my head & shrug it off when it happens here at home? Just because I like racing or just because it happens other places with other events?

Come on. We're better than that, aren't we?

I remember the huge uproar over the TEF a few years ago, which was over a lot less money iirc. But when sports are involved and a lot more money is being handed over in very shady ways, it's all good?

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

My point is that F1's  business model is impossible for the local tracks without heavy government subsidy.  In Europe, I believe the only one that isn't subsidized is Silverstone, and we hear every year that next year might be their last year (and every year, that's actually true, including this year which might be Silverstone's last).

It's shady all the way around, but the bottom line is F1's business model isn't sustainable.  More than that, it's not even viable-- at all-- without heavy government subsidies.  The governments-- the representatives of the people-- make the decision that they would rather host an event and subsidize it, than lose that event.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

My point is that F1's  business model is impossible for the local tracks without heavy government subsidy.  In Europe, I believe the only one that isn't subsidized is Silverstone, and we hear every year that next year might be their last year (and every year, that's actually true, including this year which might be Silverstone's last).

It's shady all the way around, but the bottom line is F1's business model isn't sustainable.  More than that, it's not even viable-- at all-- without heavy government subsidies.  The governments-- the representatives of the people-- make the decision that they would rather host an event and subsidize it, than lose that event.

Yeah I agree it's unsustainable - without governments paying the ridiculous prices F1 wants for a GP. But nobody's putting a gun to anyone's heads to pay these stupid prices and nobody, whether we like racing or not, should accept corrupt deals like this one where hundreds of millions of dollars are being taken from State funds under circumstances that are very shady at best, to prop up a poorly-run privately-owned sports venue. If some of these tracks would start saying "No", then the prices would come down , but why say "No" when you're playing with other people's money? There's no transparency and no accountability.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of people just went out some back doors that were being managed by the teenage staff that didn’t really care if we walked back or not. but the front is where most were concentrated and older security guards were telling people they could not walk. they chased after some girls who walked by them anyways. our cars were a mile away so the walk was rough ... yeah not kidding, they moved us all from the line outside to a building like some conference rooms 1.25 miles away from where everyone parked. and i kid you not had staff blocking all the doors and said we could not leave. i get it was for safety but they kept saying “it’s just a temporary delay” and even gave everyone wristbands. and then it got really bad out and they said “okay it’s cancelled now” and wanted to shuttle everyone back and literally blocked the doors. a lot of people just said f it and went for it because shuttling would take hours. but we were all in cement parking earlier in the day until an officer said we all had to move to grass or get towed. so quite literally some people were stuck there for a bit.

Time after time, cota proves they cannot manage shows correctly. It really is a terrible layout and venue. Here's the big question I'm not understanding:. why did they have everyone move from the parking lot to the grass??

Edited by wood

Now JMBLYA is cancelled, citing "damaging 50+ mph" winds at COTA yesterday.

Weird. No high winds at all at my house, & none at my buddy's across the road from COTA.

Throughout the course of the day on Friday and into the early morning hours of Saturday, severe weather exposed the event grounds to damaging winds in excess of 50 mph, heavy rainfall, and hail. These conditions caused significant damage to event infrastructure, including fencing, tents, stages, and flooding throughout the COTA property. For the safety of our fans, as well as artists and staff, we are saddened to announce that
JMBLYA 2019 in Austin has been canceled. 
All Austin ticket holders will be 100% refunded for the cost of their tickets.

They just do the weirdest crap out there.  Obviously the staff is temporary workers and poorly trained at that, but even the top level decisions are stupid, and sometimes dangerous.

During the really rainy USGP a few years back, back before we were camping out there, we walked up to the gates at the Grand Plaza and at the "gates-open" time, I guess it was Saturday for FP3, and they wouldn't let us in, citing safety issues.  But then they said people were being admitted at the main grandstands so we shuttled over there, walked up to the gates, and they were closed, again citing safety issues, with potential lightning. I explained that letting us in to take cover near the main grands would be a lot safer for us than leaving us out front.  They finally relented and let us in.  They'd already made the announcement that FP3 was canceled but we heard cars on track right as they said that, and sure enough P3 was running.  It only went part of the way but we at least got to watch some of it from the main grandstands.  Then we hung out in Velocity Lounge all day (which became a freaking cattle pen madhouse but at least we had seats since we got there early) as they kept postponing, until they finally canceled qualy.  

But the whole series of decisions was just so  bad.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They just do the weirdest crap out there.  Obviously the staff is temporary workers and poorly trained at that, but even the top level decisions are stupid, and sometimes dangerous.

During the really rainy USGP a few years back, back before we were camping out there, we walked up to the gates at the Grand Plaza and at the "gates-open" time, I guess it was Saturday for FP3, and they wouldn't let us in, citing safety issues.  But then they said people were being admitted at the main grandstands so we shuttled over there, walked up to the gates, and they were closed, again citing safety issues, with potential lightning. I explained that letting us in to take cover near the main grands would be a lot safer for us than leaving us out front.  They finally relented and let us in.  They'd already made the announcement that FP3 was canceled but we heard cars on track right as they said that, and sure enough P3 was running.  It only went part of the way but we at least got to watch some of it from the main grandstands.  Then we hung out in Velocity Lounge all day (which became a freaking cattle pen madhouse but at least we had seats since we got there early) as they kept postponing, until they finally canceled qualy.  

But the whole series of decisions was just so  bad.

Yeah I missed the only running of the day because they announced to the world that they were closed and FP3 wasn't going to happen - despite F1 never canceling FP3.

This bit about them denying exit to all those people is very interesting & strange. I wouldn't be surprised to see litigation as a result. And judging from what I've heard from locals and from the videos & photos I've seen, the wind damage was minimal and was superficial/cosmetic. The real reason for this cancellation, imho, is that they knew there was no way in hell that Lot F was gonna handle parking those cars after all that rain. Remember after the 2015 USGP fiasco when they said they were gonna pave thousands of those spots? That never happened. Lot F is grass like it's always been, just like Lots, T, L, M, etc 

3 hours ago, Updawg said:

That Reddit thread is pretty good. It will be interesting to see how many concerts the new stadium takes away from cota. I haven't really seen what the MLS stadiums plans are for shows

That, and the Live Nation/C3/UT arena downtown. 

25 minutes ago, Updawg said:
22 hours ago, wood said:
That, and the Live Nation/C3/UT arena downtown. 

Good point. They really need to focus on racing and make that successful or they are screwed.

Welp, they're probably screwed then...

On a related note, COTA has pushed legislation that would retroactively allow them to collect the ~$25M they lost when they fucked up their 2018 F1 MERP application. HB 4008 would change the law, effective RETROACTIVELY, to cover COTA's ass on their own failure to obey the law.

By: Frullo H.B. No. 4008

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
  relating to plans required to be submitted to receive funding
  through the Major Events Reimbursement Program.
         BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
         SECTION 1.  Section 5A, Chapter 1507 (S.B. 456), Acts of the
  76th Legislature, Regular Session, 1999 (Article 5190.14, Vernon's
  Texas Civil Statutes), is amended by amending Subsection (a-1) to
  read as follows:
         (a-1)  An event not listed in Subsection (a)(4) of this
  section is ineligible for funding under this section. A listed
  event may receive funding through the Major Events Reimbursement
  Program under this section only if:
               (1)  a site selection organization selects a site
  located in this state for the event to be held one time or, for an
  event scheduled to be held each year for a period of years under an
  event contract, or an event support contract, one time each year for
  the period of years, after considering, through a highly
  competitive selection process, one or more sites that are not
  located in this state;
               (2)  a site selection organization selects a site in
  this state as:
                     (A)  the sole site for the event; or
                     (B)  the sole site for the event in a region
  composed of this state and one or more adjoining states;
               (3)  the event is held not more than one time in any
  year;
               (4)  the amount of the incremental increase in tax
  receipts determined by the department under Subsection (b) of this
  section equals or exceeds $1 million, provided that for an event
  scheduled to be held each year for a period of years under an event
  contract or event support contract, the incremental increase in tax
  receipts shall be calculated as if the event did not occur in the
  prior year; and
               (5)  not later than the 30th day before the first day of
  the event, a site selection organization submits a plan to prevent
  the trafficking of persons in connection with the event to the
  office of the attorney general, the human trafficking prevention
  task force under Section 402.035, Government Code, and the chief of
  the Texas Division of Emergency Management.
         SECTION 2.  T
  his Act takes effect immediately if it receives
  a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as
  provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this
  Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this
  Act takes effect September 1, 2019.

Edited by wood

Furk. Originally, I accidentally used a version of the bill that didn't include the change. Here it is with the change (bold). My bad.

By: Frullo, Moody, Cyrier, Krause, Rodriguez    H.B. No. 4008

Substitute the following for H.B. No. 4008:

By: Cyrier    C.S.H.B. No. 4008

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT

relating to plans required to be submitted to be eligible to receive
funding through the Major Events Reimbursement Program.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 5A, Chapter 1507 (S.B. 456), Acts of the
76th Legislature, Regular Session, 1999 (Article 5190.14, Vernon's
Texas Civil Statutes), is amended by amending Subsection (a-1) and
adding Subsection (a-5) to read as follows:
(a-1) An event not listed in Subsection (a)(4) of this
section is ineligible for funding under this section. A listed
event may receive funding through the Major Events Reimbursement
Program under this section only if:
(1) a site selection organization selects a site
located in this state for the event to be held one time or, for an
event scheduled to be held each year for a period of years under an
event contract, or an event support contract, one time each year for
the period of years, after considering, through a highly
competitive selection process, one or more sites that are not
located in this state;
(2) a site selection organization selects a site in
this state as:
(A) the sole site for the event; or
(B) the sole site for the event in a region
composed of this state and one or more adjoining states;
(3) the event is held not more than one time in any
year;
(4) the amount of the incremental increase in tax
receipts determined by the department under Subsection (b) of this
section equals or exceeds $1 million, provided that for an event
scheduled to be held each year for a period of years under an event
contract or event support contract, the incremental increase in tax
receipts shall be calculated as if the event did not occur in the
prior year; and
(5) not later than the 30th day before the first day of
the event, a site selection organization or the organization
hosting the event submits a plan to prevent the trafficking of
persons in connection with the event to the office of the attorney
general, the human trafficking prevention task force established
under Section 402.035, Government Code, and the chief of the Texas
Division of Emergency Management.
(a-5) If the department determines an event is ineligible to
receive funding through the Major Events Reimbursement Program due
solely to a failure to timely submit a plan as required by
Subsection (a-1)(5) of this section, the event may receive funding
through the program if:
(1) the plan required by that subdivision is submitted
to the required entities not later than seven days before the event
begins and is implemented during the event; and
(2) all other requirements for funding under this
section, including those imposed by Subsections (d-1) and (w) of
this section, are satisfied not later than the 60th day after the
last day of the fiscal year in which the event occurs, provided
submission of the plan required by Subsection (a-1)(5) of this
section was not previously required under this section for that
event.

SECTION 2. This Act applies to an event that occurs before,
on, or after the effective date of this Act.
SECTION 3. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives
a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as
provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this
Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this
Act takes effect on the 90th day after the last day of the
legislative session.

NY Times via AP's Jim Vertuno: Within days after being denied the 2018 payout of the $25M subsidy for F1, Epstein Donated Almost $100K to Texas Governor, Lt. Governor, & Lawmakers & is now Seeking Legislation to Force Retroactive Payment of same $25M Subsidy...

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/05/09/sports/ap-car-f1-us-grand-prix-finances.html

https://apnews.com/d0e1cf252bd342d7a68c9d2d5ffd1f54

"Circuit of the Americas President Bobby Epstein, who also founded the investment firm Prophet Capital, has pumped about $100,000 in campaign donations to state officials and lawmakers in the six months since the 2018 race, including donations to Gov. Greg Abbott, whose office controls the fund, and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, who presides over the Senate.

Other donations went to several lawmakers who sit on committees that first considered the bill or live in districts near the racetrack. Epstein did not immediately return messages seeking comment Thursday.

State law requires applicants to submit an anti-human trafficking plan 30 days before an event as part of an effort to combat spikes in prostitution. U.S. Grand Prix organizers didn't file their plan until 11 days before the 2018 race and were disqualified for reimbursement. Within weeks, Epstein donated $50,000 to Abbott and $25,000 to Patrick, and donated nearly $13,000 to members of the committees considering the bill.

The bill doesn't name the Circuit of the Americas or the U.S. Grand Prix, but it specifically carves out a second chance to apply for events that miss the 30-day deadline for the anti-human trafficking plan if it gets filed seven days prior, and is used during the event. Both of those details apply to the Austin race."

Edited by wood

4 hours ago, wood said:

NY Times via AP's Jim Vertuno: Within days after being denied the 2018 payout of the $25M subsidy for F1, Epstein Donated Almost $100K to Texas Governor, Lt. Governor, & Lawmakers & is now Seeking Legislation to Force Retroactive Payment of same $25M Subsidy...

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/05/09/sports/ap-car-f1-us-grand-prix-finances.html

https://apnews.com/d0e1cf252bd342d7a68c9d2d5ffd1f54

"Circuit of the Americas President Bobby Epstein, who also founded the investment firm Prophet Capital, has pumped about $100,000 in campaign donations to state officials and lawmakers in the six months since the 2018 race, including donations to Gov. Greg Abbott, whose office controls the fund, and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, who presides over the Senate.

Other donations went to several lawmakers who sit on committees that first considered the bill or live in districts near the racetrack. Epstein did not immediately return messages seeking comment Thursday.

State law requires applicants to submit an anti-human trafficking plan 30 days before an event as part of an effort to combat spikes in prostitution. U.S. Grand Prix organizers didn't file their plan until 11 days before the 2018 race and were disqualified for reimbursement. Within weeks, Epstein donated $50,000 to Abbott and $25,000 to Patrick, and donated nearly $13,000 to members of the committees considering the bill.

The bill doesn't name the Circuit of the Americas or the U.S. Grand Prix, but it specifically carves out a second chance to apply for events that miss the 30-day deadline for the anti-human trafficking plan if it gets filed seven days prior, and is used during the event. Both of those details apply to the Austin race."

It's not a funny subject at all, but this just reads funny to me.  It looks as if the plan regards the trafficking of anti-humans.  

Since I am largely anti-human, I suppose it applies to me... :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An effort to allow Circuit of the Americas officials to seek reimbursement from a state economic development fund for the 2018 U.S. Grand Prix fell short in the waning days of the legislative session.

The House had approved a measure, tacked onto a bill relating to the Texas Motor Speedway, that would give event organizers more time to submit a human trafficking prevention plan as part of an application to the state's Major Events Reimbursement Program.

Because circuit organizers had missed a deadline to submit the plan, Gov. Greg Abbott denied their request for $25 million through the program, used to reimburse eligible events for the economic impact they bring to the state. The House measure would have given race promoters a second chance to apply for the reimbursement.

But lawmakers from the House and Senate assigned to hash out differences in the legislation couldn't agree on the details and the bill never came up for a final vote.

The state reimbursed the Circuit of the Americas $27 million through the program after the 2017 U.S. Grand Prix, $26 million for the 2016 Formula One race and $22.7 million for the 2015 U.S. Grand Prix. For the 2018 U.S. Grand Prix, which attracted more than 101,000 people including an estimated 63,000 from out of state from Oct. 19-21, the track asked for $25,872,004 from the state, according to its application for reimbursement.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190527/circuit-of-americas-denied-second-chance-at-25-million

On 5/14/2019 at 12:07 PM, wood said:

State law requires applicants to submit an anti-human trafficking plan 30 days before an event as part of an effort to combat spikes in prostitution. U.S. Grand Prix organizers didn't file their plan until 11 days before the 2018 race and were disqualified for reimbursement.

I still don't get how out of it you have to be to miss a deadline for 25 million dollars.

Was it ever explained? Like did they really just fuck up that bad on a simple piece of paperwork that seems like it should almost be a copy of 2017 and just search and replace with 2018?

On 5/28/2019 at 9:12 AM, relapse98 said:

I still don't get how out of it you have to be to miss a deadline for 25 million dollars.

Was it ever explained? Like did they really just fuck up that bad on a simple piece of paperwork that seems like it should almost be a copy of 2017 and just search and replace with 2018?

On 5/28/2019 at 2:31 PM, Paper_jam said:

I procrastinate like a sonofabitch, but for $25MM even I would put a note on my calendar or a post-it on my fridge about sending that shit in.

Yeah I don't see how that happens ... ever.

But I'd bet Bobby is already working on some other plan to get the money...

Nice to see Jane Nelson didn't just give in though.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:38 PM, Updawg said:

An effort to allow Circuit of the Americas officials to seek reimbursement from a state economic development fund for the 2018 U.S. Grand Prix fell short in the waning days of the legislative session.

The House had approved a measure, tacked onto a bill relating to the Texas Motor Speedway, that would give event organizers more time to submit a human trafficking prevention plan as part of an application to the state's Major Events Reimbursement Program.

Because circuit organizers had missed a deadline to submit the plan, Gov. Greg Abbott denied their request for $25 million through the program, used to reimburse eligible events for the economic impact they bring to the state. The House measure would have given race promoters a second chance to apply for the reimbursement.

But lawmakers from the House and Senate assigned to hash out differences in the legislation couldn't agree on the details and the bill never came up for a final vote.

The state reimbursed the Circuit of the Americas $27 million through the program after the 2017 U.S. Grand Prix, $26 million for the 2016 Formula One race and $22.7 million for the 2015 U.S. Grand Prix. For the 2018 U.S. Grand Prix, which attracted more than 101,000 people including an estimated 63,000 from out of state from Oct. 19-21, the track asked for $25,872,004 from the state, according to its application for reimbursement.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190527/circuit-of-americas-denied-second-chance-at-25-million

BTW there's an error at the end of the article. The author wrote "For the 2018 U.S. Grand Prix, which attracted more than 101,000 people including an estimated 63,000 from out of state from Oct. 19-21, the track asked for $25,872,004 from the state, according to its application for reimbursement."

The 101,000 people referenced there is a pre-race attendance estimate by COTA. It is not the amount of people that actually attended the race. 

COTA had to submit that pre-race estimate as part of the MERP application process. That estimate is used to set the amount of the subsidy COTA receives for the race. It's supposed to be followed up with an Attendance Certification after the race, in which COTA gives their estimate of how many people actually attended the race. Since COTA failed to follow the requirements of the statute and never got paid for that race, COTA's Attendance Certification has not yet been made public, so we don;t know how many people they estimate were in attendance for the 2018 USGP.

• 1 month later...

With almost $400K in anti-MLS donations to Fair Play Austin, Bobby Epstein has nearly doubled his investment in derailing the Austin FC MLS team & Stadium. The only other donor gave $25.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190715/austin-council-member-natasha-harper-madison-may-have-broken-campaign-finance-law-report-shows

In the past nine months, Epstein has given $384,612 to the effort. Besides a $25 donation from the PAC’s treasurer, Epstein is the sole donor.

• 1 month later...

LMAO. Every time this fucker open his wordhole, the bullshit just flows out like water ...

COTA's Epstein: "We'll host the U.S. Grand Prix for as long as our circuit exists ... We are on track to have the biggest attendance of any race so far -- the reserved seats already sold out in July. We are thinking of where we can build new grandstands to accommodate more fans." 

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/27445124

Epstein says reserved seats are sold out, which is weird, because there are seats available at every pricing level right now. He's said that before, too, even though the grandstands have never sold out at COTA.

He's right about one thing, though. They'll host the race as long as the track is open, because once they lose F1, they lose the annual State subsidy, and the doors will close.

This article reads more like an appeal from Epstein to Liberty to stop trying to secure another U.S. race.

Precisely.  Since 2012 they've eliminated grandstands at T2, 3, 5, 6, and three at 11, and they've downsized T1, 5, 9, and 12 (cut in half). It's easier to just name the grandstands that haven't been eliminated or downsized: Main, T15.

Dude is just unbelievably full of shit.

Edited by wood

... and now it looks like there are even more 3-day reserved seats available. When I checked the other day after seeing the article, T1 wasn't available & T15 was very limited. T12 was also unavailable iirc. Just checked a few minutes ago and somehow inventory seems to have increased significantly, with lots of 3-day tickets suddenly available on upper, middle, & lower rows of T15 & T1.

Strange ... 

• 5 weeks later...

Guess I can put this here, as well as the F1 thread:

COTA announces the downtown shuttle for F1 already.  It seems very unlike them to have this announced over a month before the race.  What's going on there, did they accidentally hire someone competent? :)

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/f1/tickets/shuttle?fbclid=IwAR1tpMKSDYwORZDuYCZAbP8U_vb1kruRIDUDiNf3T99Nrt9eqOOrkFMpaec

16 minutes ago, elfenix said:

$30 per day seems a bit steeper than previous

Last year & the year before iirc the Downtown - McAngus shuttle was $15 & the Downtown - Grand Plaza shuttle was $50. Looks like they've dropped the McAngus shuttle & met in the middle on the price.

TxDot will start construction next year on new frontage roads and overpasses on 71 at Ross Rd, Kellam Rd which will help deal with the COTA logjam at 71.  This will be in conjunction with Travis county projects to improve Elroy Rd (from McAngus Rd to Kellam Rd) and Ross Rd (from Pearce Lane to Heine Farm Rd) just in time for COTA to go out of business. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pasken said:

TxDot will start construction next year on new frontage roads and overpasses on 71 at Ross Rd, Kellam Rd which will help deal with the COTA logjam at 71.  This will be in conjunction with Travis county projects to improve Elroy Rd (from McAngus Rd to Kellam Rd) and Ross Rd (from Pearce Lane to Heine Farm Rd) just in time for COTA to go out of business. 

Not saying I disagree, but do you know something along those lines?

Man my daughter loves Imagine Dragons and I'm really trying to figure out how to get her out there for the concert, since we'll be camping out there all weekend in the RV.  I have no problem pulling her from school and just taking her out there with us all day on Friday, but the problem is getting her home to NW Travis County afterward.  She has soccer games on Saturday and Sunday so she'd have to get back Friday night, or Saturday morning early.  She'll be staying with her grandparents.

Any ideas from the Surly Brain Trust? :)

Edit: I should add that I'll be in no shape to drive anywhere Friday night after a full day at the track, and a concert that night. ;)

But maybe I could drive out of the RV lot really early Saturday morning and meet her grandparents somewhere that's a little bit away from the track so they don't get caught up in traffic?

Edited by utee94

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 7:53 AM, utee94 said:

Man my daughter loves Imagine Dragons and I'm really trying to figure out how to get her out there for the concert, since we'll be camping out there all weekend in the RV.  I have no problem pulling her from school and just taking her out there with us all day on Friday, but the problem is getting her home to NW Travis County afterward.  She has soccer games on Saturday and Sunday so she'd have to get back Friday night, or Saturday morning early.  She'll be staying with her grandparents.

Any ideas from the Surly Brain Trust? :)

Edit: I should add that I'll be in no shape to drive anywhere Friday night after a full day at the track, and a concert that night. ;)

But maybe I could drive out of the RV lot really early Saturday morning and meet her grandparents somewhere that's a little bit away from the track so they don't get caught up in traffic?

If it's really early there will be little to no traffic, esp at, say ... Moore Road and 130.

For those waiting for weekend schedule info for the 2019 F1 USGP at COTA, COTA still hasn't published it, but I just received some intel. 

Looks like the supporting series will be Formula 4 & Masters Historic GP. Kool & the Gang will apparently play at the Amphitheater after the GP. 
Imagine Dragons Friday at 8:30. Pink Saturday at 8:00.

No word on a an F1 Fan Forum. No known plans for a Fan Fest, either.
Edited by wood