post your nominee for the shittiest "great" band ever

Gil Bang

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

For me, it's a no-brainer.  "The Doors".  Complete and total unredeemable dogshit.  Just horrible. 2 or 3 songs that weren't horrible.   Maybe.  

When I read the title, this was exactly who came to mind.

"Roadhouse Blues" and "LA Woman" kick ass though.

• Like 1

The Doors are less "shitty" and more "wildly overrated".  Jim Morrison wasn't a genius poet.  He was an asshole who took drugs and wrote out all the shit that went through his head while tripping.

They also never had a bass player in the band, but clearly had bass guitar on every fucking record.  I don't know why that irritates me, but it does.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Aqualung is one of the greatest songs ever written. Fight me.

Jethro Tull is in the same boat as the Doors for me, but I just don't see that many people trying to elevate them to "great" status.

They have a couple good songs.  Aqualung is one of them.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Have they released them?

I'm with HenryJames. I remember some stoned guy trying to explain to me the greatness in that "Every instrument has its own space in the mix." Well that's how you're fucking supposed to mix things, you low-expectations grew-up-during-grunge motherfucker.

39 minutes ago, Hate said:

Agree with this and I'll add Bon Jovi.  I'm not sure anyone would call them great, but they sure sold a lot of horrible fucking albums.  

Nobody would call them "great."

When I was growing up and enjoying the living shit out of 80's Hair Metal, it seemed to me that every good band coming through Amarillo had Bon Jovi opening for them. When they finally graduated to being the headliner, it was like THE moment -- even more so than DLR quitting Van Halen -- that everything was over.

They are the essence of mediocrity and pandering to the Top 40. Their best songs are commercial garbage. They are the Burger King of metal -- the place you go when you can't find a McDonald's.

29 minutes ago, Deej said:

Queen

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Not sure that RHCP is "great." Long-lived, certainly.

Queen? Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad. You don't have to like Queen, and they have obviously had their fair share of missteps, but you couple that with some outstanding showmanship, insane range, and a ridiculous number of great songs.

As for my nomination...

I'm going to be an asshole and say The Kinks. The best thing they ever did was get covered by Van Halen. fight me

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

I'm with HenryJames. I remember some stoned guy trying to explain to me the greatness in that "Every instrument has its own space in the mix." Well that's how you're fucking supposed to mix things, you low-expectations grew-up-during-grunge motherfucker.

Nobody would call them "great."

When I was growing up and enjoying the living shit out of 80's Hair Metal, it seemed to me that every good band coming through Amarillo had Bon Jovi opening for them. When they finally graduated to being the headliner, it was like THE moment -- even more so than DLR quitting Van Halen -- that everything was over.

They are the essence of mediocrity and pandering to the Top 40. Their best songs are commercial garbage. They are the Burger King of metal -- the place you go when you can't find a McDonald's.

Not sure that RHCP is "great." Long-lived, certainly.

Queen? Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad. You don't have to like Queen, and they have obviously had their fair share of missteps, but you couple that with some outstanding showmanship, insane range, and a ridiculous number of great songs.

As for my nomination...

I'm going to be an asshole and say The Kinks. The best thing they ever did was get covered by Van Halen. fight me

You are out of your god damned mind.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Not gonna feel bad. Most of their stuff is just grating to me and over the top. 

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

This.  Good lord, Springsteen is such a bland beating.

I’ll go with Pink Floyd.  Great insomnia treatment, though.

Pink Floyd???

Dark Side of the Moon ... Hello?!

I'll go with Def Leopard... and basically any hairband that someone might consider "Great"

2 minutes ago, Todd Gack said:

Kiss.  Candy corn of rock bands.

You know, if people ascribed their greatness to their music, I'd be there with you. But no one thinks their music is "great," outside of a few catchy tunes.

It was the showmanship, the work ethic and the "just having sex with 2 chicks because it's Tuesday" lifestyle that defined them and kinda redefined rock stardom along with it.