post your nominee for the shittiest "great" band ever

Gil Bang

And Jesus Christ, no. Go listen to Appetite For Destruction front to cover, please. Probably the best guitar album of the 1980s.
I'm not going to link a thread to the old board but I specifically made a thread about this album and how overrated it was. I don't need to hear that album or any of their material ever again.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 12/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, BrickHorn said:

This.  Good lord, Springsteen is such a bland beating.

I’ll go with Pink Floyd.  Great insomnia treatment, though.

Wait right there.  Don't move, I'll be right back.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

But to stay on topic I'd agree whole heartedly w/ the OP's offering of The Doors. Jim Morrison reminds me of that guy you meet for the first time at a party. After he's had one drink he says something that catches your attention & makes you think "gee, that's a unique take." After his second a crowd's gathering around him as he prattles on nonsensically. An hour later he's vomiting on the rug & speaking pure gibberish, yelling at anyone who's still listening to open up their mind. Ray Manzarek deserved better.

As I said to the OP on this very band, fuck you very much sir.  I get it, some people don't get the Doors.  I even think your take on them is interesting if incorrect in it's premise.  Manzerek is never heard from without J. Morrison.    

It's all personal taste of course, and I'm just being a sarcastic ass, but the comments that Springsteen (not much of a fan BTW), the Beatles, the Doors and Pink Floyd... PINK FUCKING FLOOOOOOYD !!!!!  are shitty.... are amusingly weird.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

And hell yes to Springsteen. He has a god awful voice and his songs fucking suck. Didn't know many artists or bands because of how often they were listed as I read the entire thread before replying.

A few bands I don't think suck but I don't get the appeal is Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead.

Also, U2 is terrible.

• Fuck You 1

I'm not going to link a thread to the old board but I specifically made a thread about this album and how overrated it was. I don't need to hear that album or any of their material ever again.

I’m not going to try to convince you to like something you don’t like, but considering this album overrated is way off base.

Just curious, how old are you?

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:
45 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:
Well THAT explains a lot........

How? A lot of my favorite bands are from the 60s and 70s. Age has nothing to do with musical taste for me. I just thought they were a shitty band.

Just jerking your chain, but I'd say growing up with many of the bands being dissed here, age does have something to do with it, perceptions of bands that is.

5 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

But to stay on topic I'd agree whole heartedly w/ the OP's offering of The Doors. Jim Morrison reminds me of that guy you meet for the first time at a party. After he's had one drink he says something that catches your attention & makes you think "gee, that's a unique take." After his second a crowd's gathering around him as he prattles on nonsensically. An hour later he's vomiting on the rug & speaking pure gibberish, yelling at anyone who's still listening to open up their mind. Ray Manzarek deserved better.

Now see, I'd probably like the Doors if they'd stuck to pure gibberish vomiting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

As I said to the OP on this very band, fuck you very much sir.  I get it, some people don't get the Doors.  I even think your take on them is interesting if incorrect in it's premise.  Manzerek is never heard from without J. Morrison.    

It's all personal taste of course, and I'm just being a sarcastic ass, but the comments that Springsteen (not much of a fan BTW), the Beatles, the Doors and Pink Floyd... PINK FUCKING FLOOOOOOYD !!!!!  are shitty.... are amusingly weird.

I don't know what we are all here arguing about, I'm not going to read through 4 pages of Surly drivel...

Ray Manzerek was a multi-band mult-instrumentalist that fundamentally changed the keyboard input to Rock'n Roll, playing the bass line defines their sound. John Densmore was a more than competant good jazz drummer. Robbie Krieger raised the complication bar with his song writing and classical guitar training.

Add in a charismatic introspective singer with his hand on the psychedelic blues muse...

You have something timeless and legit whether you like it or not.

Edited by JohnnyRage
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

I don't care for The Doors, but I don't think one can, today, judge a band from 50 years ago. What sounds trite and cliché today was once new and fresh. Again, I don't care for The Doors, but their sound and Morrisons pretension was, at one time, cutting edge. Cool when it first came out. Cringe worthy 50 years later. 

I haven't seen Fleetwood Mac or Journey on here yet.  Both terrible, yet considered great these days because drunk chicks like to sing along and feel like they're in a cool scene from a movie. 

Bon Jovi has been mentioned along with Def Leopard.  Both unlistenable even in nostalgia.

1 hour ago, Dertyberd said:

I haven't seen Fleetwood Mac or Journey on here yet.  Both terrible, yet considered great these days because drunk chicks like to sing along and feel like they're in a cool scene from a movie. 

Bon Jovi has been mentioned along with Def Leopard.  Both unlistenable even in nostalgia.

Journey is shitty no matter the list. I listed them a few pages ago.  Not a big Fleetwood Mac fan, but I don't think they can be labeled shitty.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 9:26 AM, Vic Mackey said:
On 12/16/2018 at 1:52 AM, ztejas said:
And Jesus Christ, no. Go listen to Appetite For Destruction front to cover, please. Probably the best guitar album of the 1980s.

Not sure what you were negged for. G&R definitely isn't for everyone. 

I will maintain that AFD is a very important piece in the history of guitar. There are plenty of albums other people adore and cherish that I think fucking suck so I get it. That doesn't mean the band is "shitty" though, in an objective sense. 

On Journey and Fleetwood, I understand not liking Fleetwood, but shitty band? lol. 

Journey has some great songs that are all, unfortunately, beyond played out. A band that if you're young and impressionable and have never heard them you will likely enjoy, but when "Don't Stop Believing" plays for the 200th time in your life you're pretty over it. 

Actually, now that I think about it, that last sentence describes Fleetwood pretty well, too.

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not sure what you were negged for. G&R definitely isn't for everyone. 

I will maintain that AFD is a very important piece in the history of guitar. There are plenty of albums other people adore and cherish that I think fucking suck so I get it. That doesn't mean the band is "shitty" though, in an objective sense. 

People take music and movies serious on here. If you don't abide by the groupthink, people get offended.

There were a couple tracks I enjoyed on AFD but overall, it was boring and repetitive. Was not for me. No big deal. There's hundreds of other bands I enjoy. 

Of the ones mentioned already, I hate REO Speedwagon the most. (Not that they were ever considered great but they amazingly still get airplay.)

Sting is another one.  Awesome with The Police, not so good solo while trying to only write pop hits without one of the greatest drummers in Rock history.

And Sammy Hagar. Solo or with VH, he sucks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

FWIW, they were THE cutting edge college band in the mid 80's. Murmur is in my top 5 albums of all time.

That being said, they crashed HARD after Fables of the Reconstruction.

I wouldn't say hard crash, but the edge was definitely gone, and Murmer is in my pantheon, saw 'em about 6 times.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

I wouldn't say hard crash, but the edge was definitely gone, and Murmer is in my pantheon, saw 'em about 6 times.

Yeah. I've seen them in every possible venue from small bar (20-30 people) to arena (30K).

Once they stopped being a "college band" and thinking they were the Stones, they went down.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I loved Sweet Dreams growing up. I had my mom take me to buy their greatest hits when I was in middle School. I know maybe 2 songs from them.

Were they considered great and respected in their time? I never hear anyone mention them when discussing bands.

No they weren't considered great and or respected. Just another British synth- pop band with a couple music videos on MTV.

• Like 1

The first litmus test to determine who wrote a song is "melody & lyrics".  It gets hazy after that.  I seriously doubt 1% of the rock 'n roll "greats" could ever write a lyric like this, so take your ill-advised Bruce Springsteen dismissal and save it for Bryan Adams:

In the day we sweat it out on the streets of a runaway American dream 
At night we ride through the mansions of glory in suicide machines 
Sprung from cages out on highway nine, 
Chrome wheeled, fuel injected, and steppin' out over the line
Baby this town rips the bones from your back 
It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap 
We gotta get out while we're young 
`Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run
Yes, girl we were Wendy let me in I wanna be your friend 
I want to guard your dreams and visions 
Just wrap your legs 'round these velvet rims 
And strap your hands 'cross my engines 
Together we could break this trap 
We'll run till we drop, baby we'll never go back 
Will you walk with me out on the wire 
`Cause baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider 
But I gotta know how it feels 
I want to know if love is wild 
Babe I want to know if love is real
Oh, can you show me Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard 
Girls comb their hair in rearview mirrors 
And the boys try to look so hard 
The amusement park rises bold and stark 
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist 
I wanna die with you Wendy on the street tonight 
In an everlasting kiss
One, two, three, four! The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive 
Everybody's out on the run tonight 
But there's no place left to hide 
Together Wendy we can live with the sadness 
I'll love you with all the madness in my soul 
Someday girl I don't know when 
We're gonna get to that place 
Where we really wanna go 
And we'll walk in the sun 
But till then tramps like us 
Baby we were born to run
Oh honey, tramps like us
Baby we were born to run

Fuckin A!

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No they weren't considered great and or respected. Just another British synth- pop band with a couple music videos on MTV.

Well that's ridiculous.  Annie Lennox is widely respected as one of the great female pop singers of all time, and Dave Stewart is a tremendous producer/instrumentalist/songwriter.  You make it sound like they were Naked Eyes or something.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well that's ridiculous.  Annie Lennox is widely respected as one of the great female pop singers of all time, and Dave Stewart is a tremendous producer/instrumentalist/songwriter.  You make it sound like they were Naked Eyes or something.

I thought they were entertaining, but their careers on the larger music scene, didn't go much beyond the post new wave era.  They're more of a footnote than a paragraph in the annals of rock.  Lots of talented musicians and singers out there that fit their description.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You said they weren't respected.  That's just not true.

Whatever man, you're gonna argue any point with me as the opposite. They were around when I was in college. They were post punk, and not what I considered important. They weren't innovative, their sound is repeated by lots of semi one hit wonders, they were more pop than rock.  

I like Annie Lennox' voice. I like Chrisy Hyndes voice more, and she as 10 x the rocker Annie Lennox was on her best day.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Whatever man, you're gonna argue any point with me as the opposite. They were around when I was in college. They were post punk, and not what I considered important. They weren't innovative, their sound is repeated by lots of semi one hit wonders, they were more pop than rock.  

I like Annie Lennox' voice. I like Chrisy Hyndes voice more, and she as 10 x the rocker Annie Lennox was on her best day.

LOL OK.

Chrissie Hynde is rock royalty -- engineers & producers swear she's one of the best natural vocalists ever.  She doesn't have the vocal purity Lennox does but I couldn't pick one over the other.  I like a great steak and I like a great plate of enchiladas.  Give me both.

On 12/20/2018 at 2:19 PM, Reese Bennett said:

Of the ones mentioned already, I hate REO Speedwagon the most. (Not that they were ever considered great but they amazingly still get airplay.)

Sting is another one.  Awesome with The Police, not so good solo while trying to only write pop hits without one of the greatest drummers in Rock history.

And Sammy Hagar. Solo or with VH, he sucks.

What about Sammy in montrose?

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You said they weren't respected.  That's just not true.

Just went back and read my post. Yes, not respected wasn't the right choice of words. They're both talented musicians, and like I said I really like Annies voice. The Eurrythmics had a respectable, if short history as a band in the post New Wave British Invasion.

I still think they're a footnote, and not a paragraph in the history book of rock, along with lots of other Similarly talented bands.  Your results may vary. I mean you did say  Los Lobos was one the greatest bands ever I believe.  

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I mean you did say  Los Lobos was one the greatest bands ever I believe.  

. . . I probably said they were the most important band in America, which at the time was justifiable, as they were (are) consummate musicians and were heralding the music of a growing minority for wide US exposure.  That said, some would probably say they belong on this thread (perhaps yourself included).

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . I probably said they were the most important band in America, which at the time was justifiable, as they were (are) consummate musicians and were heralding the music of a growing minority for wide US exposure.  That said, some would probably say they belong on this thread (perhaps yourself included).

Nope not shitty at all, I have a couple albums from my college days. Most important band in America is a huge stretch.  They're a very strong regional act with a national following. I have a more stringent set of rules for "greatness" superlatives I guess.