The Impeachment Thread

Thetexashammer

Just now, kevwun said:

When did you become a Trumpkin?  Did you decide to troll the other side for awhile?

There is nothing about my post that would lead to the conclusion you have drawn.  I'm sure there were a few conservatives that didn't buy into the idea that Obama is a foreign born Muslim.  Does that make them Obama supporters?

16 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I made the mistake of watching some CNN this past weekend.  The monomania regarding this nonsense from the cable news aroused some deep disgust in me that I have chosen to exercise via this esteemed venue for political discourse.

Have you watched Fox!??

Tell the truth.

2 hours ago, Mole said:

This is the most disturbing opinion in the cloak room. 

The order is:

1. Master of Puppets

2. ...and Justice for Jason

3. ...and Justice for All

4.  Black album

1. Master of Puppets

2. ...And Justice for All

3. Ride the Lightning

4. Kill 'em All

5. Black album

• Like 4

I am all for impeachment if its warranted..... but its like everyone forgets who takes over if Trump gets impeached..... and fun fact which I think a lot of people arent caring about, assuming Trump is actually removed from office after Jan 20, 2019..... Pence takes over, and per 22nd amendment, he can now serve the remainder of Trumps term, plus 2 full terms.

and dont kid yourself.... the folks who voted for Trump did so because they thought he would bring change, those same folks and other may vote for Pence because he had very little to do with the idiocy of the current situation.

and frankly Pence's hard line stance on a lot of stuff is much more worrisome than Trump being a blithering idiot in office.

2 hours ago, Mole said:

This is the most disturbing opinion in the cloak room. 

The order is:

1. Master of Puppets

2. ...and Justice for Jason

3. ...and Justice for All

4.  Black album

Spoiler

z5rujfr3arr11.png

I’m sorry, I had to make the joke about the Black Album   I had an ex-roommate who was a Metallica fanatic and when the subject came up with other people, I’d say “oh yeah, they made that black album” and he would flip   

He has committed impeachable offenses and there is a possibility that more will be discovered.

However, politically,  the House should not impeach, if the Senate is not on board with removing him from office.

An impeachment accomplishes nothing politically for the Dems, if the President is still in office and running in 2020. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

He has committed impeachable offenses and there is a possibility that more will be discovered.

However, politically,  the House should not impeach, if the Senate is not on board with removing him from office.

An impeachment accomplishes nothing politically for the Dems, if the President is still in office and running in 2020. 

Sadly this is probably the most correct.  Until Mueller drops a hammer so hard that even the traitorous Senate can't pretend it doesn't matter, then nothing should be done because it will just be spun as the Dems whining.

32 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I made the mistake of watching some CNN this past weekend.  The monomania regarding this nonsense from the cable news aroused some deep disgust in me that I have chosen to exercise via this esteemed venue for political discourse.

That's all on you for watching ANY sort of cable teevee news.

I think the more likely scenario is

1) he survives the next two years, unless the Mueller Report is a mind blowing bombshell.

2) He loses the 2020 election

3) On January 21, 2021 he is indicted by Southern District of New York on two counts of campaign finance violations.

Trump's best legal defense currently is "I am President". He may not have that defense in 2021.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, yoladu said:

1) he survives the next two years, unless the Mueller Report is a mind blowing bombshell.

3) On January 21, 2021 he is indicted by Southern District of New York on two counts of campaign finance violations.

Trump's best legal defense currently is "I am President". He may not have that defense in 2021.

oh, and to add. Politically, the above is the best play for the Dems. It leaves them "clean" so to speak, with

a) a Dem in the WH

b) hold the House, likely win the Senate

c) a disgraced ex-President on trial and a complicit GOP in shambles

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

oh, and to add. Politically, the above is the best play for the Dems. It leaves them "clean" so to speak, with

a) a Dem in the WH

b) hold the House, likely win the Senate

c) a disgraced ex-President on trial and a complicit GOP in shambles

It's awesome. While Cohen is in prison, DOTUS is also in a prison of sorts in the WH. He gets to wait out the next 2 years wondering what will happen when he loses.

Edited by retread

I am thinking Mueller will have enough on both trump and pence to run a 2 for 1 on impeachment.  Maybe it never gets to the senate for the actual impeachment trials, but going through the investigations to call for impeachments is where their strength will be, the discovery and disclosure of illegal acts before and after the election. 

15 minutes ago, yoladu said:

This is probably the most likely scenario.  I would add to #2 the possibility that he declines to run in 2020 if he thinks he'll lose.  

• Like 1

They don't have enough to impeach yet except they actually do. They don't have MORE than enough though, and that's the unfair standard by which the game of politics in America is played. 

The Repubs win with whistles and the Dems win with waves. 

Nancy Pelosi seems mighty confident that Trump doesn't even have enough votes to fund the wall in the CURRENT House.  If that's true, then it might be a sign there is an undercurrent of disgust among Republican legislators.  Don't be so sure that, if public outcry were strong enough, the Senate wouldn't convict.  These are odd times.

I have yet to decide if I think it's wise for the House to impeach without a rock solid knowledge that the Senate would convict.  I think there is some value in going through the trial, regardless of the outcome.

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

And all of his and the Kush finances are exposed to the world to see for the next two years so we can see the intent with every decision he makes. 

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have yet to decide if I think it's wise for the House to impeach without a rock solid knowledge that the Senate would convict.  I think there is some value in going through the trial, regardless of the outcome.

If nothing else, House should impeach as one last gasp at trying to do the right thing for this country.  Maybe not immediately, but if it becomes clear that the Senate will do nothing no matter what, you might as well say hey we tried.

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I am all for impeachment if its warranted..... but its like everyone forgets who takes over if Trump gets impeached..... and fun fact which I think a lot of people arent caring about, assuming Trump is actually removed from office after Jan 20, 2019..... Pence takes over, and per 22nd amendment, he can now serve the remainder of Trumps term, plus 2 full terms.

and dont kid yourself.... the folks who voted for Trump did so because they thought he would bring change, those same folks and other may vote for Pence because he had very little to do with the idiocy of the current situation.

and frankly Pence's hard line stance on a lot of stuff is much more worrisome than Trump being a blithering idiot in office.

Mike Pence makes John Kerry look like the lovechild of Ronald Reagan and JFK. Pence ain't getting elected to a national office...ever. If you want to be afraid of something more realistic you should worry about getting struck by lighting on your way to cash your winning lottery ticket. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Mike Pence makes John Kerry look like the lovechild of Ronald Reagan and JFK. Pence ain't getting elected to a national office...ever. If you want to be afraid of something more realistic you should worry about getting struck by lighting on your way to cash your winning lottery ticket. 

It's true.  I can't even see Pence leading a ticket in 2020 even if the is the incumbent then.

I've heard the argument from some talking head or other that the House has the duty to impeach if there is proof of treason, high crimes, etc. I don't think the Constitution actually says this, but maybe it's implied.

If high crimes are reached, you must impeach!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

I've heard the argument from some talking head or other that the House has the duty to impeach if there is proof of treason, high crimes, etc. I don't think the Constitution actually says this, but maybe it's implied.

If high crimes are reached, you must impeach!

Exactly, and the new Dems who just got elected will have to show that it won't be tolerated or they will face pressure in the next election.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

This is probably the most likely scenario.  I would add to #2 the possibility that he declines to run in 2020 if he thinks he'll lose.  

I think that would be likely if he wasn't facing criminal charges on the day he no longer is President. 

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

That's all on you for watching ANY sort of cable teevee news.

I would add for more than hour. They all beat a single story to death with show after repetitive show.

How about covering some other stuff instead of having five opinion shows flailing the same story?

Lazy and self-important is how I'd describe all of the cable news outlets with the exception of FOX which doesn't really qualify as a news outlet.

This started, I think, with the John Kennedy Jr. plane crash. Wall to wall coverage of a missing plane? Shots of the ocean, family photos, and a mob of news trucks outside Caroline Kennedy's gate. Newsworthy to be sure but not exactly the stuff of full day coverage.

It got worse with the Clinton blowjob story. Talking head after talking ahead sounding as though they'd never heard of oral sex and opining the same things over and over again. It doesn't matter where you stand on Clinton, it was mind-numbing.

The cable news channels are lazy and their audience isn't that interested in other important news. The latter is not an excuse for the cable news media not to devote time to those stories.

They vamp off the dying newspapers. NY Times reports xyz, here his Sharon Actual Journalist to explain that story she wrote.

Get off your dead asses and be journalists looking for news instead of seated conduits for other persons' work.

They'll analyze impeachment until we hate the word.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I think that would be likely if he wasn't facing criminal charges on the day he no longer is President. 

This is where I'm at.  If he is not removed, he will have no choice but to run in 2020 since he knows the second he comes down off the inauguration stage he will be slapped into cuffs.

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

3) He resigns the presidency the morning of January 20, 2021.  Pence is immediately sworn in.

4) Pence issues an immediate pardon for all federal crimes Trump may have committed prior to and during the presidency.  Maybe even pardons Trump family members.

5) On January 21, 2021 he is indicted by Southern District of New York on two counts of campaign finance violations.

Fixed.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is where I'm at.  If he is not removed, he will have no choice but to run in 2020 since he knows the second he comes down off the inauguration stage he will be slapped into cuffs.

Is there a Rubicon River in the US somewhere?

• Like 2

Wait for the Mueller report to be finalized. Impeach him in the House as quietly as possible (very few Dem interviews - only those on the relevant committees). All 2020 Dem candidates deflect the questions back to the House Dems ("I'm not focused on the circus in the Oval Office right now, I'm focused on bringing universal healthcare to every single American..."). Don't even worry about the Senate.

The rule of law kind of matters somewhat. Do the bare minimum necessary to satisfy your Constitutional obligation to impeach a rogue President, but spend 100% of your gunpowder on getting Dems elected in 2020. Spend none of it fighting with the Senate about them holding up their end of their Constitutional obligations.

• Like 1