Things not going well for the Oregon marijuana industry

Parliament

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh outdoor for sure, we were in High school growing it in the cut overs, and power lines around our neighborhood.  We scoped out places we could hide plants being grown unless you stumbled right on 'em.  I'd really like to do an indoor grow, box but the wife would freak.

Yeah, I had a little forest one year out on a farm that our neighbor owned. They got yuge but never any buds. Prolly 8' tall plants though. Smoked a lot of bang leaves.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh outdoor for sure, we were in High school growing it in the cut overs, and power lines around our neighborhood.  We scoped out places we could hide plants being grown unless you stumbled right on 'em.  I'd really like to do an indoor grow, box but the wife would freak.

The only thing that controls flowering is light exposure. If you're growing it in April expecting it to bud in a couple weeks, that ain't gonna happen. Light has to be 12 hr a day to trigger the flowering stage. Easy to do indoor, not so much outdoor. Another reason indoor is popular, you can have as many growing seasons a year as you want. Outdoor only has 1.

15 minutes ago, RPM said:

The only thing that controls flowering is light exposure. If you're growing it in April expecting it to bud in a couple weeks, that ain't gonna happen. Light has to be 12 hr a day to trigger the flowering stage. Easy to do indoor, not so much outdoor. Another reason indoor is popular, you can have as many growing seasons a year as you want. Outdoor only has 1.

Also the plants have to be "female", right?

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Water and sunlight ?  How do they work ?  keeping it alive isn;t that hard, it's getting it to flower, and create buds. THAT'S the trick. 

I've never seen anyone be able to grow weed outdoors successfully (talking up to maybe a foot or so, no buds, is the furthest I've seen.) I realize that it obviously can be done, but everyone I've ever known in my almost 20 years of smoking has never been able to. Plenty of people who smoke who have never grown it or just watched someone take care of it think it's a breeze and then fuck up somewhere along in the process. I watched it happen over and over and was really disappointed that the 13 acres I had to throw at the issue couldn't be utilized. I'll never attempt to do that shit again. 

Indoor on the other hand... That's the ticket. Much easier to control the environment, more secure, a better product and a better yield. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Where'd you learn that Cheech, drug school?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I've never seen anyone be able to grow weed outdoors successfully (talking up to maybe a foot or so, no buds, is the furthest I've seen.) I realize that it obviously can be done, but everyone I've ever known in my almost 20 years of smoking has never been able to. Plenty of people who smoke who have never grown it or just watched someone take care of it think it's a breeze and then fuck up somewhere along in the process. I watched it happen over and over and was really disappointed that the 13 acres I had to throw at the issue couldn't be utilized. I'll never attempt to do that shit again. 

Indoor on the other hand... That's the ticket. Much easier to control the environment, more secure, a better product and a better yield. 

The quality of weed grown outdoors by amateurs is no doubt shitty for the most part but there's a reason for the term "ditch weed". It literally will grow and propagate all on its own - no human intervention needed and could be found growing in ditches.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Since when ?  The guy I buy lesser available brands from says he can't legally ship booze to me because it's controlled by the state.  You couldn't even ship wine here to private parties up until several years ago.

A while now.

He is just saying he doesn't want to buy the Va shippers license.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's nice to know. 

I don't know if is a state by state reciprocity/agreement thing, but I've bought liquor from several large retailers who shipped here.

Maybe there is a reason why he can't, I couldn't say for sure, but it's not completely banned.

14 minutes ago, G650 said:

I don't know if is a state by state reciprocity/agreement thing, but I've bought liquor from several large retailers who shipped here.

Maybe there is a reason why he can't, I couldn't say for sure, but it's not completely banned.

He ships, he just calls it "car parts". The license thingy sounds like the reason.

52 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The one really nice thing is no price gouging, Blantons is $55-$60, Eagle Rare is $32,   365 days of the year. And now that they're open on Sundays I think I prefer them.

That is better than it was 30 years ago. I was living in the boonies and there was ONE liquor store in the county. I at least knew some places to get the white likker. The "no hunting on Sundays" also irked me.

I was reading an article the other day about the falling price of marijuana. One guy went so far to say that conceivably it would be so cheap that it would be given away for free at bars in the way they now  give away nuts and popcorn, etc.

Edited by Dolemite

11 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's never going to be dirt cheap (for long). The gov't will tax the shit out of it like cigarettes.

For less $100 bucks in supplies you can grow enough for personal consumption in a closet in your house ad infinitum. Unless you're too stoned to remember to water it. Last I checked, stoners weren't huge on paying taxes for shit they can get for free.

On 12/27/2018 at 7:45 AM, RPM said:

Most varieties of cannabis will begin flowering once the duration of darkness is 10 hours, not 12.  12 hours of darkness begins after fall equinox, so an outdoor crop wouldn't begin flowering until the last week of September if a full 12 was necessary.  I live near the 44th parallel, and every variety I've grown outdoors has started flowering by mid August when the light/dark is 14/10.  Some start earlier than that.  There was one type called auto affie (for autoflowering afghani) that would begin flowering with even a single hour of darkness.  I'd transplant it outdoors at the beginning of June and harvest it in early August, then transplant another outside for an early October harvest.

Also, it's not hard to produce 2 outdoor crops a year if you use a light deprivation greenhouse to control photoperiod.  Oregon's rules take that into account.  A 2 crop garden permit allows half the square footage of a 1 crop permit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OregonHorn said:

Most varieties of cannabis will begin flowering once the duration of darkness is 10 hours, not 12.  12 hours of darkness begins after fall equinox, so an outdoor crop wouldn't begin flowering until the last week of September if a full 12 was necessary.  I live near the 44th parallel, and every variety I've grown outdoors has started flowering by mid August when the light/dark is 14/10.  Some start earlier than that.  There was one type called auto affie (for autoflowering afghani) that would begin flowering with even a single hour of darkness.  I'd transplant it outdoors at the beginning of June and harvest it in early August, then transplant another outside for an early October harvest.

Also, it's not hard to produce 2 outdoor crops a year if you use a light deprivation greenhouse to control photoperiod.  Oregon's rules take that into account.  A 2 crop garden permit allows half the square footage of a 1 crop permit.

Rules, man. There are rules.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

A guy I vaguely know has a pot farm in Oregon. He ran into troubles with a partner and is trying to buy him out. Is his business likely doing poorly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes

I ran into an aquaintance from years gone by over the Christmas week who invested in and managed a fairly recently failed growing business in Oregon.  He was fairly shell shocked and took a 6 figure loss.  His words, "I figured it would be money hand over fist".  

I don't know the exact details of their model or specific mistakes other than the market has changed alot.

25 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

yes

I ran into an aquaintance from years gone by over the Christmas week who invested in and managed a fairly recently failed growing business in Oregon.  He was fairly shell shocked and took a 6 figure loss.  His words, "I figured it would be money hand over fist".  

I don't know the exact details of their model or specific mistakes other than the market has changed alot.

The states are constantly changing the marijuana laws. A small business will open with one model, and then a lot will change such as for example taxes, zoning, hours, licensing, etc. That, and Americans are actually much, much poorer than they think they are. 

Any business would have to close because of such an increase in uncertainty. As with any investment uncertainty makes the price much much higher. As states jockey and revise their marijuana laws constantly, some business models are outlawed overnight, without notice. The instability within the political and leagle system creates a vacuum where smaller businesses are pushed out or consumed by the larger, wealthier dispensaries who can better manage the volatility. 

The key to making money was always getting with the richest investment group with good management. The same is happening here in Seattle and also in Southern CA. The thing about LA tho is that they lead the novelty market with products like THCa (skinny weed).

This system is just like any other business, you need quality, convenience and affordability. Americans want a Wal-Mart experience. The businesses best suited for that are the big guys not the artisan mom-n-pop stores. 

Edited by Doc Reeves

17 minutes ago, NBMisha said:

1 g joints?  Mercy.  Takes me half a week to go thru that.

Yep a little good weed will go a long way.  I buy a couple grams when we hit the slopes, and usually leave what I don't smoke for our friends who own the condo.  

I've always experimented with dosage. I start with a few flakes on the end of a key, and see where that takes me.  I've been able to make an OZ. last a year or more with that method. I typically have a couple OZ's of different stuff sitting around.  

A good humidor is your friend for that kind of time.

Kids these days. A family member(by marriage) took his first trip to SOCAL last year and experienced the greatness of walk in dispensaries. He now toys with the idea of moving to Ca for that reason only. The family has been trying to get him to understand that it’s fucking California and California gonna California. No amount of legal weed can fix what that state is doing to itself.

On 12/28/2018 at 3:23 PM, FondrenRoad said:

Everyone on surly will be dead of old age before it's legal in Texas. 

disagree with this unless all of you effers are Brat's age. how far the discussion has come just in the last 5 years is beyond imagination and the pro pot lobbies aren't stopping, even Abbott is softening on it. 

12 minutes ago, bluto said:

disagree with this unless all of you effers are Brat's age. how far the discussion has come just in the last 5 years is beyond imagination and the pro pot lobbies aren't stopping, even Abbott is softening on it. 

I'd just assumed that he'd never really been hard.

On 12/30/2018 at 2:23 PM, bluto said:

Hey, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Abbott softening? Probably just eating more food cooked in Teflon pans.

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2018 at 1:21 PM, Texas_Rocks said:

Kids these days. A family member(by marriage) took his first trip to SOCAL last year and experienced the greatness of walk in dispensaries. He now toys with the idea of moving to Ca for that reason only. The family has been trying to get him to understand that it’s fucking California and California gonna California. No amount of legal weed can fix what that state is doing to itself.

What exactly are they doing to themselves?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Almost all of the licensed weed growers in California are about to lose their licenses.  This isn't bureaucratic incompetence, it's intentional.  I think the California government is doing it intentionally to force the seven thousand down to about four or five that they can control.  Some of these growers will sell to the few who are licensed the rest will go to the black market.  Another reason politicians need to drown in pools of their own blood.

Once, the cannabis industry was poised to become a multibillion-dollar industry in California. Now, it could be heading for what its advocates call an “extinction event.”

An estimated 10,000 marijuana growers could lose their licenses in the coming months if California lawmakers fail to pass a bill designed to grant them an extension, according to Sen. Mike McGuire, D-Healdsburg, who has sponsored Senate Bill 67.

“The bottom line is this: This bill is going to protect thousands of cannabis farmers, in particular, who did the right thing and applied for a state license after the passage of Prop. 64 but their temporary license is about to expire,” McGuire said in a hearing on his bill.

Under Proposition 64, California regulatory agencies were authorized to grant cannabis businesses a temporary license, good for 120 days and eligible for a 90-day extension. In the event of unanticipated delays in becoming compliant with the California Environmental Quality Act, a temporary license holder also could apply for a one-year provisional license.

The idea was that time would let growers operate while working toward getting a full annual license.

But in reality, the state has handed out just a handful of provisional and annual licenses. McGuire said that of the more than 6,900 applications sent to the California Department of Food and Agriculture, just four provisional licenses were issued. Just 52 full annual licenses have been issued by all California state agencies, McGuire said.

Already, many of those temporary licenses are beginning to expire. And temporary license holders can no longer apply for an extension — the deadline to do so was Dec. 31, 2018.

That means that thousands of temporary license holders will soon be plunged into the black market unless state law changes.

SB 67 would grant a one-year extension to the deadline, setting it at Dec. 31, 2019.

“This is the worst way to transition a multibillion-dollar agricultural crop, which employs thousands of Californians,” McGuire said. “Without legal licenses, there isn’t a legal, regulated market in California.

Jackie McGowan, whose firm K Street Consulting represents the cannabis industry in California, said that the failure to pass SB 67, with a clause to make it retroactive, would mean the end of the legal cannabis industry in California.

“We’ve named these ‘extinction events,’” she said. “This bill is a bill that the industry is very anxious to see passed.”

McGowan said she is concerned that the bill might not pass through the Legislature without the support of the regulatory agencies.

While none of those agencies have weighed in on the bill, several dozen industry groups and other organizations have lent their support to SB 67, according to a bill analysis. No groups have registered their opposition.

Terra Carver, executive director for the Humboldt County Growers Alliance, told lawmakers in a hearing that some growers have already been forced out of business because their temporary license expired before the state got around to issuing a provisional one.

If nothing is done, Carver said, “there will be dire consequences such as imminent market collapse of hundreds of businesses in the region and through the state.”

McGuire’s bill wouldn’t just grant a reprieve to the marijuana industry; SB 67 would require every state licensing agency to provide a monthly report “presented in the aggregate, and by city and county” that lists the number of pending annual applications submitted by temporary and provisional license holders.

It also would require agencies to report the number of temporary license holders who have not submitted an annual license application, the number of temporary licenses that have expired “and any other information that may be relevant to delays in processing annual applications by the licensing authority.”

Cannabis conundrum: State researchers struggling to get their hands on it

Green economy? Thai party campaigns on marijuana as cash crop

Fleeing robbery suspects arrested after crash into East Oakland pot dispensary

If nothing is done, more than 1,000 temporary licenses in the state could expire this month alone.

“This also means the flow of legal cannabis is at risk to retailers, which very well could mean an enhanced reliance on black market cannabis at the retail level,” McGuire said.

The senator called that “the exact issue we want to avoid.”

“In a time where the Golden State is working overtime to bring the cannabis industry out of the black market and into the light of a legal regulatory environment,” he said, “we can’t afford to let good actors who want to comply with state law fall out of our regulated market just because timelines are too short and departments have been unable to process applications in time due to the sheer number of applications.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/03/11/thousands-of-pot-licenses-set-to-expire-if-bill-is-not-passed/