Las Vegas go hard or go home thread

bigup2dahorns

8 hours ago, Skipper said:

Posted about it on the inflation thread but if anyone has a trip planned this summer with a refundable room check prices.  We're going last weekend in June and prices down significantly pretty much across the board from where they were a month ago.

I thought about doing this for my room  next weekend and then I remembered that it was fully comped. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Skipper said:

Posted about it on the inflation thread but if anyone has a trip planned this summer with a refundable room check prices.  We're going last weekend in June and prices down significantly pretty much across the board from where they were a month ago.

Thanks for the tip.  However, my room at Caesars in mid-July is around $100 more per night than what I booked it for last November.  Alas.  

The cabana booking for the same date is up $100 over what it was 6 months ago as well.

10 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Thanks for the tip.  However, my room at Caesars in mid-July is around $100 more per night than what I booked it for last November.  Alas.  

The cabana booking for the same date is up $100 over what it was 6 months ago as well.

I'll be back for a work conference at mid July (rescheduled from February, going to feel ridiculous walking around Vegas in July in a suit).   So some hotel occupancy still driven by off-season conferences.  Who knows.   I was probably going to end up booking at Cosmo this trip and it went down a bit but hard to justify paying more than double compared to Palazzo (I've always been a fan of Venetian/Palazzo for some reason, probably because I've had some good nights at the tables).  

Of course somewhat a waste of time to nickle/dime hotel rates consider I'll blow "savings" after a few rounds of drinks at Vegas prices without blinking an eye but I'm always a sucker for a good deal.

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Of course somewhat a waste of time to nickle/dime hotel rates consider I'll blow "savings" after a few rounds of drinks at Vegas prices without blinking an eye but I'm always a sucker for a good deal.

Oh, for sure.  I mean, the room rate is locked in for me, so it's not a concern, but if by chance it was $50 a night less than what I booked it for, that's $250 more for booze.  Or food.  Or gaming.  Or for my wife to put towards a pair of Christian Loboutins.  

Fly in yesterday at the cosmo. Spent the day at the pool yesterday and just getting to coffee on my balcony. Smoking a nice bowl. Also have cabanas by the pool. Ate at STK yesterday and have the Dover Sole. Very good. Going to Nobu tonight and I’m just gonna eat breakfast Lunch by the pool. Life’s good boys!

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Fly in yesterday at the cosmo. Spent the day at the pool yesterday and just getting to coffee on my balcony. Smoking a nice bowl. Also have cabanas by the pool. Ate at STK yesterday and have the Dover Sole. Very good. Going to Nobu tonight and I’m just gonna eat breakfast Lunch by the pool. Life’s good boys!

Coffee on the balcony at cosmo with a bowl. Yessir, life is good. 

In October I ended up getting a fucking Keurig off door dash and some pods. Finding coffee in that place after 8pm is a bitch. Used it for 3 days there and came out ahead on it versus buying it from an open place when there was one.

Fuck that no coffee pot in your room bullshit.

Worked out though. I had a little day pack at home that it fits in perfectly. Keep it packed and ready to go all the time now. It sucks being pods, but way better than none or some other bullshit. 

The cabanas are great. Had one last fall and it was a great time. Sit in the shade, hit the vape, watch golf. Check out all the additional scenery, wander in/out of the pool, etc. Had the one right across from the bar at the Chelsea pool. It was worth it for the $500 they wanted that day with the 6 of us. I’m sure summer rates are a lot higher. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

The cabanas are great. Had one last fall and it was a great time. Sit in the shade, hit the vape, watch golf. Check out all the additional scenery, wander in/out of the pool, etc. Had the one right across from the bar at the Chelsea pool. It was worth it for the $500 they wanted that day with the 6 of us. I’m sure summer rates are a lot higher. 

Cabanas sure as shit have spoiled me.  We have had them the last few summers at whatever resort the wife and I go to (and have one booked for our Caesars trip next month).

Was at Disneyworld last week, and the kids were in the pool.  Wife and I were sitting alongside in the approximately 78% Florida humidity with no shade, and I started bitching how much I missed a cabana.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Cabana/daybed pricing at Venetian/Palazzo (at least as of now) seems a bit pricy. I guess the problem is just my wife and I and we won't need a large cabana.   If they aren't sold do you all see the minimum spend/reservation cost decreased the day of or pretty much a set rate?

Is that how it works? Your F&B is included up to the cabana price? I’ve never paid for one, though I’ve mooched off of others that did. Never asked the price. I’ve got to think the max id pay straight up is like $200

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

Is that how it works? Your F&B is included up to the cabana price? I’ve never paid for one, though I’ve mooched off of others that did. Never asked the price. I’ve got to think the max id pay straight up is like $200

Depends.  Last year at Wynn, all F&B was separate.  Our upcoming cabana at Caesars is this way as well.

49 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Depends.  Last year at Wynn, all F&B was separate.  Our upcoming cabana at Caesars is this way as well.

Those I was looking at Venetian/Palazzo were both a rental fee and minimum spend (so it was like $1000 with $500 of that towards food/drink.  Tao Beach seems to be just Minimum Spend and not unreasonable for a daybed (also think like $1000) but not going to make sense for just 2 of us unless I decide to say fuck it and order bottles of champagne, in which case, probably blow through that quickly.

Edited by Skipper

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Cosmo was min spend only. All went to F/B and gratuity. 

If you went over, they charged the overage. We went over by $50-$60. Wasn’t a thing.

If it was something where only half was credited as mentioned above then I would probably be less favorable to it. I don’t like pools THAT damn much. 😆

16 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Those I was looking at Venetian/Palazzo were both a rental fee and minimum spend (so it was like $1000 with $500 of that towards food/drink.  Tao Beach seems to be just Minimum Spend and not unreasonable for a daybed (also think like $1000) but not going to make sense for just 2 of us unless I decide to say fuck it and order bottles of champagne, in which case, probably blow through that quickly.

Not knowing how much 2 people can drink and still stay functional, your prices may vary...for example, last year our cabana was $400.  We had breakfast brought to us, then something smallish at lunch.  That, combined with the booze was around $250 for the two of us.  Then you added in tips to the cabana staff (which the two we had were absolutely superb) which was another $250 or so.  

Don't get me wrong; I'm fully aware of what kind of financial outlay this is, considering we don't live off of a trust fund.  But we do it 1 day per trip, and it's absolutely fantastic.

13 hours ago, Lurch said:

Last year at Aria it was separate charges, I just booked a cabana for Bellagio for a end of summer trip in August and it was like 1k for the cabana and Alcohol and Food is an additional charge. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hornbri said:

Last year at Aria it was separate charges, I just booked a cabana for Bellagio for a end of summer trip in August and it was like 1k for the cabana and Alcohol and Food is an additional charge. 

was looking at this at the Cosmo and it seems like the price was just a minimum spend for the bottle service.  bottle prices were $700+ and way on up but the terms said that if you did not spend more than X amount on booze/food, then you would be charged whatever the min was.  I have never done it before so this is only what i read on interwebz

1 minute ago, gyroprotagonist said:

was looking at this at the Cosmo and it seems like the price was just a minimum spend for the bottle service.  bottle prices were $700+ and way on up but the terms said that if you did not spend more than X amount on booze/food, then you would be charged whatever the min was.  I have never done it before so this is only what i read on interwebz

We had to meet 1200. We had 7 people and barely did it. It was us and the wives tho. We ordered everything drinks food ect. I think we were about $100 off so no big deal

On 6/20/2022 at 8:39 PM, Skipper said:

Well following up on this just bought a table at Tao Beach tomorrow for $500 Min Spend after several drinks in from first class en route.  At Vegas prices I'm betting hitting that minimum won't be too tough if doing brunch as well but guess we'll see!  First time a non-work related trip since night before TX-USC Sam's freshman year and first time with wife since before kids (2015).  Fired up for 48 hours away.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2

On the tarmac heading back to Houston after being in Vegas since Thursday. Had a hell of a time, but we’re up pretty big so that helps. 

Went to Javier’s after checking into the Aria for a snack on Thursday. I don’t think I’ve seen that place mentioned on here but it’s a great place to grab lunch if you’re in that area. We always do it after check-in. Their queso fundido is as good as it gets. Their margaritas are great and high quality as well.

Went to Piero’s on Thursday night and it did not disappoint. I had one of their features, a bone-in veal parmesan and it was absolutely the best veal/chicken parm I have ever had. I’m drooling now thinking about it. My wife had another feature - dover sole filleted table side and served in a white wine sauce. I tasted it and it was excellent. I like this place and Lotus as the best off-strip go-tos depending upon what you’re in the mood for at the time. The mobbed up feel with local celebs throughout the place feels like old school Vegas. 

We did Mon Ami Gabi Friday for breakfast and the crepes and salmon benedict rocked. The people watching, even at 9am on The Strip, is tremendous with the MAG window seating. 

Did Giordano’s for lunch since I don’t know when I will be in Chicago again and I was craving a pie. It’s as good in Vegas as it is in Chicago, IMO. 

Then we did Bavette’s late on Friday. I’ve been 3 times before and my wife and I went last year. It’s always been great. That’s why I was shocked on Friday. They sat us in a smaller room next to a fucking bachelor party. We knew we should have asked for a different table and lazily didn’t. That made the dining experience shitty to begin with, but then they served me a well done steak instead of medium rare. I worked in a steakhouse, I know it happens, but talk about deflating after looking forward to it. They did take it off the bill, but I also didn’t eat it. Everything else was great, the cocktails, apps, sides and service, but I’ll never go back. Too many other great choices in Vegas to look past that clusterfuck. 

We did Bardot on Saturday morning for brunch and that place is also fucking awesome for brunch. My wife ordered the massive french toast and I did quiche and escargot. All 3 of those dishes could compete with any of the same type I’ve had elsewhere. 

We did Le Cirque last night and it was a top 10 all-time meal for both of us. 8 course tasting menu with wine pairings. There was a lobster salad that looked like a flower bouquet that was a mindfuck to view as food but it was unreal. The service was outstanding and even though the bill was half a mortgage payment, it was absolutely worth it if you’re into that kind of thing. 

I took the Astros and the under 3 days in a row in parlays and twice got paid $300+ on the $100 down. Did the same yesterday with Ole Miss and over 10.5 and that hit for the same value. And because fuck OU. 

All in all, we had a badass time and most of the dining was top notch. I go back in October with @SydneyCarton and a group of others. Gonna go early with a few of the guys and play some golf at one of the badass courses outside of town. Can’t wait. 

Also, I realize all of the food choices make me and my wife sound like gluttons, but that’s only half true. My wife is thin and hot. She just enjoys eating the good stuff. I know the rules and don’t give a shit. No pics. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Went to Javier’s after checking into the Aria for a snack on Thursday. I don’t think I’ve seen that place mentioned on here but it’s a great place to grab lunch if you’re in that area. We always do it after check-in. Their queso fundido is as good as it gets. Their margaritas are great and high quality as well.

I’d guess I’ve taken a dozen trips to Aria in as many years, and I didn’t realize they had a Mexican joint. I had to look it up on their property map and see now it’s the place I’ve always enjoyed the people watching while playing craps! It occurs to me I’d never considered what everyone was always waiting in line for. Guess I’ll actually have to go in their next week…

I had the special bone-in veal parm on my recent trip to Piero’s and it’s awesome.

I generally don’t make a point to grab steaks or Mexican food in Vegas just because I can get that at home but always heard good reviews on Javier’s at Aria.

Recent reports are pointing to room rates softening a little bit so check out August mid week for better deals.

I had the special bone-in veal parm on my recent trip to Piero’s and it’s awesome.

I generally don’t make a point to grab steaks or Mexican food in Vegas just because I can get that at home but always heard good reviews on Javier’s at Aria.

Recent reports are pointing to room rates softening a little bit so check out August mid week for better deals.

Mexican food in JAX is so incredibly bad that I actually look forward to getting it in Vegas. The joint in NYNY is cheap-ish and hits the spot every time

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Went to Piero’s on Thursday night and it did not disappoint. I had one of their features, a bone-in veal parmesan and it was absolutely the best veal/chicken parm I have ever had. I’m drooling now thinking about it. My wife had another feature - dover sole filleted table side and served in a white wine sauce. I tasted it and it was excellent. I like this place and Lotus as the best off-strip go-tos depending upon what you’re in the mood for at the time. The mobbed up feel with local celebs throughout the place feels like old school Vegas. 

We did Mon Ami Gabi Friday for breakfast and the crepes and salmon benedict rocked. The people watching, even at 9am on The Strip, is tremendous with the MAG window seating. 

Did Giordano’s for lunch since I don’t know when I will be in Chicago again and I was craving a pie. It’s as good in Vegas as it is in Chicago, IMO. 

Then we did Bavette’s late on Friday. I’ve been 3 times before and my wife and I went last year. It’s always been great. That’s why I was shocked on Friday. They sat us in a smaller room next to a fucking bachelor party. We knew we should have asked for a different table and lazily didn’t. That made the dining experience shitty to begin with, but then they served me a well done steak instead of medium rare. I worked in a steakhouse, I know it happens, but talk about deflating after looking forward to it. They did take it off the bill, but I also didn’t eat it. Everything else was great, the cocktails, apps, sides and service, but I’ll never go back. Too many other great choices in Vegas to look past that clusterfuck. 

We did Bardot on Saturday morning for brunch and that place is also fucking awesome for brunch. My wife ordered the massive french toast and I did quiche and escargot. All 3 of those dishes could compete with any of the same type I’ve had elsewhere. 

We did Le Cirque last night and it was a top 10 all-time meal for both of us. 8 course tasting menu with wine pairings. There was a lobster salad that looked like a flower bouquet that was a mindfuck to view as food but it was unreal. The service was outstanding and even though the bill was half a mortgage payment, it was absolutely worth it if you’re into that kind of thing. 

I took the Astros and the under 3 days in a row in parlays and twice got paid $300+ on the $100 down. Did the same yesterday with Ole Miss and over 10.5 and that hit for the same value. And because fuck OU. 

All in all, we had a badass time and most of the dining was top notch. I go back in October with @SydneyCarton and a group of others. Gonna go early with a few of the guys and play some golf at one of the badass courses outside of town. Can’t wait. 

Also, I realize all of the food choices make me and my wife sound like gluttons, but that’s only half true. My wife is thin and hot. She just enjoys eating the good stuff. I know the rules and don’t give a shit. No pics. 

44 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I’d guess I’ve taken a dozen trips to Aria in as many years, and I didn’t realize they had a Mexican joint. I had to look it up on their property map and see now it’s the place I’ve always enjoyed the people watching while playing craps! It occurs to me I’d never considered what everyone was always waiting in line for. Guess I’ll actually have to go in their next week…

33 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

9 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Mexican food in JAX is so incredibly bad that I actually look forward to getting it in Vegas. The joint in NYNY is cheap-ish and hits the spot every time

That Javier’s (and the OG in Laguna) is the best Mexican I’ve ever had. It’s not cheap though, it’s actually kinda swanky as Mexican joints go. I’d put it up against any Mexican place in the country.

On 6/26/2022 at 3:34 PM, bigup2dahorns said:

That veal parm is a beast. A delicious beast.

I keep a go to list for every city I frequent and Javiar's has been on mine for some time in Vegas so I need to go.

Also on my list::

Babershop in the Cosmo - Speakeasy

The Library at Nomad

Sunday brunch at Spago in Bellagio

The Golden Steer.  I am surprised I have not gone yet.

Edited by Moby Ric

We had a fun trip last weekend.   Were running late and had to cancel our early STK reservation and pivot to Lavo for quick meal in our hotel (Palazzo).  It was solid though not exceptional.   Wagyu Meatball app was great.  Pasta was average and Chicken Parm was really solid although hard to mess that up.  Lavo worked fine for quick solid pre-show meal. Then rushed over to Planet Hollywood for Shania Twain.  I had zero expectations (wife's choice) but she put on a great show.  We both came away extremely impressed that she's still got it in her mid 50's. We had a blast.  We grabbed drinks and gambled some but were up early with kids that morning TX time and started fading a little after midnight and called it.

Sunday we did Tao beach.  Had a table and got there early for brunch which was solid for pool food.  Before it turned into a shit show went down to the pool to cool off a couple of times and then by early afternoon turned into great people watching for rest of the day.  Only complaint was pool seemed way too small for the venue.  Once it got packed there was virtually zero room (or desire on our part to stand in a pool shoulder to shoulder in that chaos).  We were fully shaded (which was a must) but it was still like 105 out.     Was a good time but if we do the whole pool minimum spend with a table or daybed again I'll probably try to find a place with better pool access.  

Had reservations at Sinatra that night but after 6 hours outside ended up ditching that.  Recovered a bit and ended up getting in at Yard Bird in Venetian which totally hit the spot (fried green tomatoes, fried chicken, mac and cheese). They opened a Dallas location I always forget about and need to hit up more often.  Everything was great.  We made it over to Harrah's carnival court after and had drinks then to the piano bar then gambled a bit more and called it a day.  Flight back next AM.  Solid quick trip.  Now I'll be back for a conference taking out clients in less than 3 weeks and that trip will be much more restaurant focused so looking forward to it.

Edit:  I'll add this was probably the first travel since before Covid I didn't encounter a single asshole or shit attitude for an entire trip.  From flight attendants to passengers to servers to bartenders to dealers to all the drunks in Vegas, everyone seemed to be in a great mood.  For travel, I'm sure lifting mask mandate helps but it was almost uncanny how much it seemed like a lot of people had forgotten how to act, service folks forgot how to serve, etc.  the last couple of years.   Things truly felt normal which was an added bonus.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Sunday brunch at Spago in Bellagio

I was just looking at Brunch options for a August trip and I don’t think they offer this anymore. I found a eater article from 2021 saying they started, but there is no brunch listed on the current site. 

3 minutes ago, hornbri said:

I was just looking at Brunch options for a August trip and I don’t think they offer this anymore. I found a eater article from 2021 saying they started, but there is no brunch listed on the current site. 

Edit, not on the Bellagio Spago site, but the direct spago site has the menu. 

18 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Babershop in the Cosmo - Speakeasy

Just to be clear Speakeasy Barbershop is in El Cortez (and it's great). The one in Cosmo is just called The Barbershop (but it is in a speakeasy.) Confusing.