long weekend in Chicago in June

Gale Snoats

Searched and didn't see a Chicago thread.

We have a long weekend there in June and I'm looking for recs on dining and lodging.  

Schedule is to fly in Friday early / midday, walk around and see some of the sights, dinner Friday night, Saturday walk around and see the sights, going to a show at Wrigley Saturday night, and fly back Sunday.  Any suggestions on where to stay?  I'd like to be somewhere that lends itself to walking around and seeing the typical attractions.  We've stayed at Soho House in other cities and really like it but i don't know much about Chicago and don't know if it's in a good spot for what we're wanting (it's on Green Street).  I stayed at the Drake one time and liked it.  We've also been told the Park Hyatt is a good place.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

For dinner, we're thinking about Alinea Friday night but are certainly open to other options.  Anyone have any suggestions if you had one dinner in Chicago?

What about lunch and things to do Saturday during the day?

Any info is appreciated.  

Timely thread.

https://thetakeout.com/where-to-eat-in-chicago-restaurant-guide-1831026678

Before I launched The Takeout, I was a longtime food writer for the Chicago Tribune. When you have a job like that, invariably, you’d get asked a lot about restaurant recommendations. An e-mail I’d receive on a weekly basis is: “Where should a first-time Chicago visitor eat while in town?” I’d answer this question so many times, eventually I wrote it down on a Google Docs and just copy/pasted the answer to save five minutes of typing. Then Twitter came along and the same question persisted, so I ended up pinning the response atop my profile page.

My current job means I don’t write about Chicago restaurants as much anymore. But even though The Takeout fancies itself as a national publication, our roots are firmly, proudly in Chicago. (It was a conscious decision to base our operations in the Midwest, which we’d like to think offers a different geographic perspective from many of our food media colleagues. And anyway, we could actually afford to buy a place here.) Even after all these years, the question comes up a lot: I’m in Chicago for a quick visit, what are the restaurants I absolutely must hit up?

There's a river architecture tour that ain't bad.  We also took some kind of a boat off of Navy Pier for the fireworks- that was pretty cool too.  

We had a pizza at Giordano's.  If I remember the old Chicago thread, about half the folks here liked the restaurant and half didn't.  I was glad we tried it.  

We stayed at the Burnham Hotel downtown.  Great location and not too terribly priced (four years ago).  Looks like now it's called Staypineapple Chicago.

• 1 month later...
Just now, wood said:

Yep. Gonna try. They'll only be there the day we arrive, & the timeline will be pretty tight.

Yeah, its a fun day in the  bleachers. Figure on $100 or so per ticket depending on the opponent.   Nice thing is the El takes you right to the stadium  We hit the bar atop the Chicago Athletic club hotel on Michigan aVE. Marias I think great food and a better view.They also have a huge  game room off the lobby with all kinds of great games for adults and the kids.  Mini bowling, ping pong, pool, and several other large scale games.  Uber cool space to grab a drink as well at the full service bar.

• Like 1

Chicago is my favorite city and I’m a huge cubs fan. I go most summers and will be there in July this year for a home series. For a first timer, I would recommend doing the cubs game. Just drop your bags and uber to wrigleyville. Still worth it if you are a little late.

Architecture boat tour that leaves from navy pier is fun, gives you a little history, and sells beer. I highly recommend because it leaves from a convenient location and you get to see a lot in a short amount of time. Best skyline in the US imo.

Pick a museum to see. I think kids would like the museum of science and industry. It’s got an entire German U boat in there.

Not going to start a debate about the best place to get pizza or a beef sandwich, but do both. Get a dog with the only 7 allowable ingredients (ketchup is not one of them.

Lastly, I would go explore a neighborhood. Chicago is a city of great hoods and the weather will likely be perfect. Go wonder around and find fun stuff to do. 

Almost forgot, you can go to the beach in the middle of the city. Might be fun for the kids and you can check out the “scenery”.

Some good activities with your kids:

Museum of Science and Industry

Millennium Park

North Avenue Beach

Rent bikes and ride down Lakeshore 

lincoln park zoo (free)

Portillo's for hot dogs

Pequods for pizza (get there early), if you don't like crowds Lou Malnatis is fine 

Brunch at Cruz Blanca in the West Loop

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Some good activities with your kids:

Museum of Science and Industry

Millennium Park

North Avenue Beach

Rent bikes and ride down Lakeshore 

lincoln park zoo (free)

Portillo's for hot dogs

Pequods for pizza (get there early), if you don't like crowds Lou Malnatis is fine 

Brunch at Cruz Blanca in the West Loop

Listen to this man. He’s pre-med

I care neither for baseball nor the Cubs, but holy shit is a day game at Wrigley Field a good time.  There just aren't many old parks left, and it's one of the few ways to really experience a slice of America that's not going to be around forever.

If you're into beer, sneak across the border into Indiana and check out 3 Floyds in Hammond.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

Mark me down as "in" on the river architecture tour.  I'm not a big "architecture" guy but there's some history, some legend, and a few helpful hints on that tour, and it's a good way to see the city.

I did it last July, and would go again.  There is a full bar on the river boat.

• 1 month later...

Adler Planetarium is above average, bonus points because it, Field and Shedd Aquarium are within a 5-minute walk of each other. I like the Museum of Science and Industry better, but you’ll have to Uber south to get there. You can bike down (or north to the zoo) if that’s your jam. The trail hugs the Lakefront, so it’s not extremely hot.

On 2/8/2019 at 8:35 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I care neither for baseball nor the Cubs, but holy shit is a day game at Wrigley Field a good time.  There just aren't many old parks left, and it's one of the few ways to really experience a slice of America that's not going to be around forever.

If you're into beer, sneak across the border into Indiana and check out 3 Floyds in Hammond.

Plus I'd take any excuse to be outside in Chicago in June. 9 days out of 10 the weather is perfect.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:35 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Was in Chicago back in Nov. 2017 for the Champons Classic and Jr. and I walked around WF, I was a bit disappointed how much it was built up since last visit(1999), thought it was losing its charm.   But yeah, a day game there is the tits, went the year before in ‘98 and was excited to go and see Harry but he passed away earlier that year.  Love Chicago, my favorite big city. 

On 4/11/2019 at 10:39 AM, Moby Ric said:

Bump,

Taking the daughter for her birthday to Chicago.  Planning on some museums especially the Field Museum, Zoo, etc.  She is a science kid and was wondering if the planetarium is any good or meh.  

Planetarium is a waste of time. Very underwhelming.

Museum of Science and Industry is a must see, followed by Field if she likes dinosaurs and history of man. Art Institute of Chicago if she's into paintings and sculptures.

If you are looking to save some cash, Lincoln Park Zoo is free. There is a bus route that connects Navy Pier and the Zoo. Yes, Navy Pier is a tourist trap but the Ferris Wheel is pretty cool. Also, if Moby Ric's daughter likes to go shopping, take her down the Magnificent Mile. 

Finally, this looks like an amazing park:

https://maggiedaleypark.com/

Had a great weekend in Chicago, the weather was perfect over Easter.  Stayed right on the river at downtown, our room had a nice view of the river and Hancock Tower.  Did the Field Museum, she is a dinosaur freak and we were there all day.  Sue is pretty damn impressive.  Walked around Millennium Park and took pics at the bean like everyone else.  Linkin Park Zoo is free but it was kind of meh and she was getting bored with it, so we went to the Navy Pier and did the Ferris Wheel, ate and hung out there and that was cool.  

Did some shopping and of course eating and I have no idea how anyone stays thin in that town with all that food.  Walked to a lot of places but Uber is your best friend there.

• 2 weeks later...

Piling on here.    Have a wedding in to attend in Naperville (Mid July).   I am not opposed to staying somewhere else within a 20-30 minute drive.   There will be 7 in my group with a large rental car (SUV or even, gasp, a minivan) so we'll need parking too and I realize that a vacation rental probably means street parking.  

What parts of town do I want to avoid? 

6 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Piling on here.    Have a wedding in to attend in Naperville (Mid July).   I am not opposed to staying somewhere else within a 20-30 minute drive.   There will be 7 in my group with a large rental car (SUV or even, gasp, a minivan) so we'll need parking too and I realize that a vacation rental probably means street parking.  

FYI, Naperville is pretty far out. It's a 45 minute drive into anywhere near downtown Chicago and the surrounding neighborhoods. If you're looking for a place in between so it's not too far to Naperville and not too far from other cultural shit in Chicago proper, look at air bnbs in Oak Park/Forest Park. South side can be dicey. Same with West Side until you get out into the suburbs. 

24 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

FYI, Naperville is pretty far out. It's a 45 minute drive into anywhere near downtown Chicago and the surrounding neighborhoods. If you're looking for a place in between so it's not too far to Naperville and not too far from other cultural shit in Chicago proper, look at air bnbs in Oak Park/Forest Park. South side can be dicey. Same with West Side until you get out into the suburbs. 

Where do the suburbs and South Side start?   Any demarcation line like a general major thoroughfare to avoid be on the wrong side of?

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Where do the suburbs and South Side start?   Any demarcation line like a general major thoroughfare to avoid be on the wrong side of?

avoid the following neighborhoods: everything in pink except west town and near west side. You can find a decent spot in Humboldt Park or lower west side but those can get a bit dicey. Avoid pretty much everything in the orange and mint green. Everything else is gonna be too close to the city for it to be "split" or in the suburbs. I don't know the suburbs well enough to make a recommendation beyond oak park/forest park/river forest. but the general rule is the further you get into the suburbs the better it gets. Naperville is just kind of a shitty spot to want to "split the difference" because between it and downtown Chicago are some of the worst neighborhoods in the City. 

Image result for chicago neighborhood map

• Like 1

If you go heavy on the museums get the City Pass. Did Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum , Science & Industry and Art Institute.

If you don't consider yourself an Art Museum guy, the Chicago Art Institute is one of the best. Has a great collection of Monets, Chagalls, Cezannes, etc, plus the for pop referenceness,  the painting in Ferris Bueller.

If you have young kids, the playground at Maggie Daly Park is pretty awesome. 

The architectural River Boat tour is great, especially if you have a really knowledgeable guide.

Pizza.. ate at both Giordano's and Lou Malnati's and liked both.

Stayed at the Hilton on Michigan Ave which was a great location and lots of history.

On 5/7/2019 at 9:55 AM, Macanudo said:

Not sure about how busy you are with wedding activities that week but Naperville has a pretty nice downtown with a decent food/drink scene and a Riverwalk. 

If you want to tour the city but not stray too far from Naperville, probably best to stay someplace in the West Suburbs within walking distance of the UP-West line like Oak Park or Elmhurst. The other option is LaGrange, Western Springs, or Hinsdale near the BNSF line. 

Also just got back. Throwing out a recommendation for Band of Bohemia. They said it's the world's only Michelin-starred brewpub. Both food and drink were fantastic. Reasonably priced too. Ordered a flight, and they brought me five 8oz. pours. It's easy to get to if you're staying anywhere near center city, it's about a 5 minute walk off the Brown Line.

On 5/7/2019 at 9:55 AM, Macanudo said:

I would stay in Naperville and drive to the city if you have time. Otherwise as others have mentioned it would be a pain in the ass to stay downtown and drive the 45 minutes after the wedding. 

Not sure about how busy you are with wedding activities that week but Naperville has a pretty nice downtown with a decent food/drink scene and a Riverwalk. 
If you want to tour the city but not stray too far from Naperville, probably best to stay someplace in the West Suburbs within walking distance of the UP-West line like Oak Park or Elmhurst. The other option is LaGrange, Western Springs, or Hinsdale near the BNSF line. 

Good location to stay is close to Oak Brook center/Lombard; that area is well-located with decent hotels and tons of food options.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:57 AM, Gale Snoats said:

Searched and didn't see a Chicago thread.

We have a long weekend there in June and I'm looking for recs on dining and lodging.  

Schedule is to fly in Friday early / midday, walk around and see some of the sights, dinner Friday night, Saturday walk around and see the sights, going to a show at Wrigley Saturday night, and fly back Sunday.  Any suggestions on where to stay?  I'd like to be somewhere that lends itself to walking around and seeing the typical attractions.  We've stayed at Soho House in other cities and really like it but i don't know much about Chicago and don't know if it's in a good spot for what we're wanting (it's on Green Street).  I stayed at the Drake one time and liked it.  We've also been told the Park Hyatt is a good place.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

For dinner, we're thinking about Alinea Friday night but are certainly open to other options.  Anyone have any suggestions if you had one dinner in Chicago?

What about lunch and things to do Saturday during the day?

Any info is appreciated.  

If you want a good scene and a damn good steak Maple/Ash wins hands down.  Lots of eye candy as well.  It's usually completely booked most weekend nights well in advance.  I noticed you mentioned the Gold Coast hotels so I suggest that.  I've done Alinea multiple times, it's great but a bit stuffy.  If you want to loosen up a bit M/A is a great choice.  I can get you a rez, just lmk.  

If the weather is nice (June dicey), there's going to be a million patios/rooftops to enjoy.  To that end, staying in Gold Coast/River North makes sense for the most 'walking around' type stuff.  Personally I love the food and vibe Logan Square has these days but it's a bit off the beaten path.  

Sorry, I just saw this and am trying to cram a few lines in before I'm obliterated to shreds in Vegas - another pro tip...don't do MDW Chicago, it's usually still cold and most of the locals get away if they can.  Anyways, I'll have more recs and not be as scatterbrained Tuesday.  I completely realize this post is all over the fucking place. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been to Chicago a million times but never solo for a work trip. 

Training for work in the loop and staying in Lakeview (don't ask) Cubs are in town so might head up to Wrigley solo for a game. Recs for food or things to do at night that won't get me arrested? 

I have a few friends I can call but not sure what I will do. 

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen. 

If you want a good scene and a damn good steak Maple/Ash wins hands down.  Lots of eye candy as well.  It's usually completely booked most weekend nights well in advance.  I noticed you mentioned the Gold Coast hotels so I suggest that.  I've done Alinea multiple times, it's great but a bit stuffy.  If you want to loosen up a bit M/A is a great choice.  I can get you a rez, just lmk.  
If the weather is nice (June dicey), there's going to be a million patios/rooftops to enjoy.  To that end, staying in Gold Coast/River North makes sense for the most 'walking around' type stuff.  Personally I love the food and vibe Logan Square has these days but it's a bit off the beaten path.  
Sorry, I just saw this and am trying to cram a few lines in before I'm obliterated to shreds in Vegas - another pro tip...don't do MDW Chicago, it's usually still cold and most of the locals get away if they can.  Anyways, I'll have more recs and not be as scatterbrained Tuesday.  I completely realize this post is all over the fucking place. 

Listen to this man.

Also if you do the river boat architecture tour (and you should) then make sure to do the longer one that goes out onto the lake. It’s worth it.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Listen to this man.

Also if you do the river boat architecture tour (and you should) then make sure to do the longer one that goes out onto the lake. It’s worth it.

Agree - and try to stick to the CAF tours.  Way better with knowledgeable guides/docents.  And thanks BR. 

Sadly I was right on my cool June call...will warm up nicely in a week and lately September has been nicer than June.  

Either way, the city is already rocking with summer events - just sad I haven't been able to go be an idiot on the boat yet.