The Great NFL Heist: How Fox Paid for and Changed Football Forever

Rimbo

12 hours ago, TexasMan said:

I will not have any Don Criqui or Bob Trumpy slander here. 

How about Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy?  Check out 3:30 for the Miracle at the Meadowlands and 4:09 for both Criqui and Trumpy.  I couldn't find one of the threesome doing a Miami v. Nebraska Orange Bowl, tho.

"During his tenure at NBC, Criqui called 14 Orange Bowl games. Criqui's most memorable call was the 1984 Orange Bowl between undefeated Nebraska and Miami. Nebraska was on a 22-game winning streak coming into the game, but lost to Miami 31–30 when the Cornhuskers failed on a two-point conversion attempt which would have won the game. "

Edited by Bullneck

11 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Why do college games on FS1 suck so much? Whenever I see a game on there, I cringe.

9 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Mostly cuz their broadcast teams suck.

Troof. But also, the ESPN sideline and video people are better and a lot more polite. Whenever I work a game, the ESPN people are professional and competent. The FOX guys are always running through shouting "Get out of the way!" cause they aren't competent enough to get to their locations on time. Their audio guys also will walk directly in front of photographers and just stand there blocking the field. The Fox video people are assholes. 

16 hours ago, Bullneck said:

How about Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy?  Check out 3:30 for the Miracle at the Meadowlands and 4:09 for both Criqui and Trumpy.  I couldn't find one of the threesome doing a Miami v. Nebraska Orange Bowl, tho.

"During his tenure at NBC, Criqui called 14 Orange Bowl games. Criqui's most memorable call was the 1984 Orange Bowl between undefeated Nebraska and Miami. Nebraska was on a 22-game winning streak coming into the game, but lost to Miami 31–30 when the Cornhuskers failed on a two-point conversion attempt which would have won the game. "

Ah man, Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy seem to have always called Houston Oilers games.

On 12/18/2018 at 4:34 PM, Underdog said:

Loved this game intro, especially there at the “gunsmoke” comment...  Damn, you just knew it was big time. 

What a blast from the past. 

Anyone else notice the music from ‘Hook’ in the intro?

CBS theme, Dallas vs. San Fran, Playoff rematches, Hook , Robin Williams....

My, my childhood. It’s all coming back to me.....

Edit: Well, I guess Rusty did.

Fun fact about Hook. Robin Williams donated his entire body hair to locks of love’s lesser known division, merkins of mirth. 

Edited by Dnaguy
I don’t read all the comments before commenting. I’m lazy,

CBS was in a tough spot.  They didn’t believe that the NFL was as important as it was, and the entire industry had become complacent about the 3 network “monopoly.”    The bean counters wanted the nfl coverage to make a profit.  They obviously screwed up.    Fox was smart.  Don’t just try to come in with a 5-10% bump over CBS. That may not be worth taking a risk for the nfl.    Come over the top with a >50% increase over cbs and dare the nfl to reject it.

Of course both networks had different goals.  Fox wanted a seat at the table and that was going to cost them.  CBS had the seat and didn’t understand the value of the nfl.    Then they felt they had to overpay later for the afc.

i did love the story how once cbs lost the nfc coverage, they made some noise about immediately bidding for the afc.  Nfl shut them down and told them the rules for them was bidding on one package only and they lost.

• Like 1

The MNF theme song of the late 70s got me so fired up I put my elbow through a window while diving over the couch.  I managed to hide it from my Dad for weeks and then convince him I had nothing to do with it even though the shards landing out clearly pointed to an inside job.  I think I'm going to go find that on youtube to get fired up before my next big meeting.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 2:28 PM, relapse98 said:

Why do college games on FS1 suck so much? Whenever I see a game on there, I cringe.

I don't think most of the games are that bad, as some have mentioned, if better play by play folks are added, it could rival ESPN...