Tucker Carlson Tonight

atomheartbevo

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Not sure what is offensive there.  Maddow is just as big of a clown as Tucker. They both reflect the demand/supply dynamic that the brain dead American public asks for and what the media gives them. And when pressed on it, both of their lawyers make the same basic arguments in defense. 

https://timesofsandiego.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/MADDOW-DISMISS.pdf

I mean this is the quote from the NPR piece that was linked by Willfully, so I guess whine to them about it. 

Media lawyers note this is not the first time this sort of defense has been offered. A $10 million libel lawsuit filed by the owners of One America News Network against MSNBC's top star, Rachel Maddow, was dismissed in May when the judge ruled she had stretched the established facts allowably: "The context of Maddow's statement shows reasonable viewers would consider the contested statement to be opinion."

I find it funny that you don't compare the actual allegedly defamatory quotes at issue in each case. Your analysis is nothing more than "they're both pundits so they're the same."

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I find it funny that you don't compare the actual allegedly defamatory quotes at issue in each case. Your analysis is nothing more than "they're both pundits so they're the same."

Well one apparently shares cocktail recipes. 

Maddow is a clown. Nobody should take her seriously. 

Tucker is a clown.  Nobody should take him seriously. 

That’s not just my opinion. It is one shared by their lawyers and the courts. 

24 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Naw, she’s not

The woman has an exceptionally long neck. Very elegant.

One of Rachel’s techniques is to start off her interviews asking her guest if she set up the segment properly, if she got something wrong or missed something important. It’s a good way to start an interview and I hope the technique becomes common. 

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Well one apparently shares cocktail recipes. 

I’ll spoiler them

Spoiler

The Frisco

The Golden Gate Bridge turned 75 years old in May. This drink is to honor the most famous landmark of perhaps the gayest city ever.

Ingredients:

2 oz of Rye
1/2 oz of lemon juice (from real, actual lemons)
1/2 oz of Benedictine
Ice Cubes

Directions:

1. You’re supposed to shake a Frisco (you’re supposed to shake anything with fruit juice in it), but Rachel prefers to stir it. So we’re going with Rachel.

2. Pour into a cocktail glass and enjoy!

The French 75

This drink, named for a French missile shell, is perfect for eating brunch while reading Rachel’s book, Drift.

Ingredients:

1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1 1/2 oz Booze (Some people make it with gin, other people make it with cognac. It’s traditional and therefore more correct to make it with gin, but certain cable television news hosts prefer it with cognac)

Directions:

1. Shake shake shake that up with ice.

2. Strain into a champagne glass.

3. Top with champagne.

4. Add the lemon twist (don’t eat the garnish!) and serve.

Cameron’s Kick

This is a classic cocktail that appears in the legendary Savoy cocktail book from the 1930s. Don’t you feel fancy?

Ingredients:

1 oz Scotch Whisky
1 oz Irish Whiskey
1/2 oz Orgeat Syrup
1/2 oz Lemon Juice

Directions:

1. Shake over ice for about a million years.

2. Strain into cocktail glass.

3. Garnish with an orange twist.

Gin Sling

Rachel made this to commemorate the SCOTUS ruling on healthcare, but you should make this to commemorate that time Autostraddle was broken and you got an error message.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz Gin
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
3 dashes of Agnostura Bitters

Directions:

1. Shake the ever-loving life out of it.

2. Pour over ice.

3. Top it off with club soda.

4. Garnish with a lemon peel, wheel or wedge.

Maddow’s Pina Colada Improvement

Sometimes Pina Coladas come out of slushie machines and you drink them out of plastic boots in Vegas, or maybe that’s just me. Anyway, this sounds much better.

Ingredients:

1.5 oz Light Rum
1 oz 8-year-old Bacardi or other nice medium-bodied Amber Rum
1.5 oz Orgeat Syrup (Tessier is best)
4 oz Pineapple Juice

Directions:

1. Blend with ice.

2. Without straining, serve in a short glass.

3. Garnish with pineapple wedge and a tiny umbrella.

4. Serve with short, fat straws.

Corpse Reviver II

This drink was once believed to bring people back from the dead. So, that’s pretty exciting, right?

Ingredients:

2 oz Gin
2 oz Fresh Lemon Juice
2 oz Cointreau
2 oz Lillet Blanc
2 drops of absinthe

Directions:

1. Add all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously.

2. Pour into a glass and enjoy your return to the land of the living.

Rachel’s Gin and Tonic

A classic, made even better because Rachel Maddow has put her mark on it.

Ingredients:

Ice
1 Lime
Tonic water
1 1/2 oz Gin
1 oz Cynar

Directions:

1. Fill a highball glass with ice and add 1 lime, cut into quarters.

2. Add 1 1/2 oz of gin.

3. Pour in tonic water until glass is almost full.

4. Add 1 oz of Cynar.

5. Garnish with an orange wedge (optional).

The Rickey

Enjoy Washington D.C.’s official drink, which also happens to be one of the easy and cheap. Coincidence?

Ingredients:

Ice
Seltzer or club soda
Your choice of booze (gin, bourbon, or rye are good choices)

Directions:

1. Fill a highball glass 2/3 with ice.

2. Add 2 oz of booze

3. Cut a lime in half and squeeze the juice of each half into the glass. Then drop the lime halves into the glass.

4. Add a bit more ice and fill the remainder of the glass with seltzer, then sip.

The Last Word

This is a classic Prohibition era drink that was once forgotten. As soon as you hear a drink is from the Prohibition era, it makes it so much cooler, don’t you think?

Ingredients:

Equal parts —
Gin
Fresh Lime Juice
Maraschino Liqueur (Rachel recommends Luxardo brand)
Green Chartreuse

Directions:

1. Shake well with ice for longer than you think you should.

2. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

The Gatsby

This drink has the highest ratio of deliciousness to effort, meaning it’s easy aaaand tasty.

Ingredients:

2 oz Heavy Cream (or half & half, if cream seems too rich)
3/4 oz Amaretto
3/4 oz Light Creme de Cacao

Directions:

1. Pour ingredients into a shaker with ice.

2. Shake it like you mean it for a really, really long time. Warm cream drinks are gross and will ruin your life.

3. Strain into a small, stemmed glass.

Ms Willfully and I enjoyed French 75s many a NYE while NPR broadcast the Dead show.

And, yes, comparing the shows is more than a stretch. 😎 Tell me you don’t watch her without saying so stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Not really sure how any of you guys can take these people, the shows they put out, nor the networks that run them seriously after the last 6 years. 

My favorite part of having YouTube TV is being able to turn off the cable news stations. All of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Tucker Carlson is fuckin spot on. That's why yall hate him so much. 

About what is Tucker spot on?

https://www.businessinsider.com/fox-news-karen-mcdougal-case-tucker-carlson-2020-9

• A federal judge on Thursday dismissed a lawsuit against Fox News after lawyers for the network argued that no "reasonable viewer" would take the network's primetime star Tucker Carlson seriously.
  • The former Playboy model Karen McDougal filed a defamation suit against Fox alleging that Carlson slandered her during a December 2018 episode of his show, "Tucker Carlson Tonight."
  • The network asked a judge to dismiss the case, arguing that "Carlson's statements were not statements of fact and that she failed adequately to allege actual malice."
  • The judge agreed with Fox's premise, adding that the network "persuasively argues" that "given Mr. Carlson's reputation, any reasonable viewer 'arrive[s] with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statements he makes."
  • Carlson has long made racist and controversial statements as a primetime host on Fox News and has lost several advertisers because of it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Not really sure how any of you guys can take these people, the shows they put out, nor the networks that run them seriously after the last 6 years. 

I’d rather shove an ice pick in my eye than watch cable news, but I can still recognize there’s a difference between Fox News and the rest.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Satchel said:

About what is Tucker spot on?

https://www.businessinsider.com/fox-news-karen-mcdougal-case-tucker-carlson-2020-9

• A federal judge on Thursday dismissed a lawsuit against Fox News after lawyers for the network argued that no "reasonable viewer" would take the network's primetime star Tucker Carlson seriously.
  • The former Playboy model Karen McDougal filed a defamation suit against Fox alleging that Carlson slandered her during a December 2018 episode of his show, "Tucker Carlson Tonight."
  • The network asked a judge to dismiss the case, arguing that "Carlson's statements were not statements of fact and that she failed adequately to allege actual malice."
  • The judge agreed with Fox's premise, adding that the network "persuasively argues" that "given Mr. Carlson's reputation, any reasonable viewer 'arrive[s] with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statements he makes."
  • Carlson has long made racist and controversial statements as a primetime host on Fox News and has lost several advertisers because of it.

He's a good American and takes the fight to the liberals. That's why you hate him 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

My favorite part of having YouTube TV is being able to turn off the cable news stations. All of them. 

I just don’t understand people who get their information from cable talking heads. Of any stripe. Hell, I probably agree with Maddow’s “conclusions” more than Tucker’s….but she’s maddening. She uses clickbait style (builds forever before getting to the key fact or point), and she feeds an outrage machine.

F that. Get fact-centered reporting from sources like NPR or the BBC if you need electronic media. Or, try reading: the economist, the WSJ, even just wire services like Reuters and AP.

If someone is feeding you conclusions, they’re feeding you their brand of bullshit. Read facts, actual news.

I truly don’t get it. I can’t stand watching pundits.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I’d rather shove an ice pick in my eye than watch cable news, but I can still recognize there’s a difference between Fox News and the rest.

In terms of global suckage all around competition, I put fox in the gold medal position, msnbc in silver, and cnn in bronze.

But the judging on this one is more like figure skating than 100m dash. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Comparing Maddows opinion on factual statements regarding a paid Russian national that writes for a paid Russian propaganda newspaper also writing for OAN to Tucker Carlson opinion pushing the racist Great Replacement theory is fucking laughable 

So you think Carlson is a racist? Why exactly?

13 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

So you think Carlson is a racist? Why exactly?

In addition to making statements on Bubba the Love Sponge, where he refers to Muslims as “animals,” Iraqi’s as “semi-literate primitive monkeys,” and Michelle Obama as “too black.” Here are a few examples where he has leaned into white supremacist themes regarding the Great Replacement theory.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/04/tucker-carlson-promotes-racist-replacement-theory

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/09/28/fox-news-tucker-carlson-adl-great-replacement-theory-reactions/5897547001/

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, DDD Dad said:

In addition to making statements on Bubba the Love Sponge, where he refers to Muslims as “animals,” Iraqi’s as “semi-literate primitive monkeys,” and Michelle Obama as “too black.” Here are a few examples where he has leaned into white supremacist themes regarding the Great Replacement theory.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/04/tucker-carlson-promotes-racist-replacement-theory

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/09/28/fox-news-tucker-carlson-adl-great-replacement-theory-reactions/5897547001/

Sounds similar to a lot of Biden's statements. 

2 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

The woman has an exceptionally long neck. Very elegant.

One of Rachel’s techniques is to start off her interviews asking her guest if she set up the segment properly, if she got something wrong or missed something important. It’s a good way to start an interview and I hope the technique becomes common. 

Another technique she employs is that if she reports something incorrectly then she’ll acknowledge her error and correct it. You won’t get that from Tucker because he’s not trying to “report” anything accurately in the first place. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I just don’t understand people who get their information from cable talking heads. Of any stripe. Hell, I probably agree with Maddow’s “conclusions” more than Tucker’s….but she’s maddening. She uses clickbait style (builds forever before getting to the key fact or point), and she feeds an outrage machine.

F that. Get fact-centered reporting from sources like NPR or the BBC if you need electronic media. Or, try reading: the economist, the WSJ, even just wire services like Reuters and AP.

If someone is feeding you conclusions, they’re feeding you their brand of bullshit. Read facts, actual news.

I truly don’t get it. I can’t stand watching pundits.

Here’s the thing, very few people actually do. Carlson gets between 3 and 4.5 million viewers a night. Even the lowest rated network news shows generally outdraw him, the top two best him easily, and all together they crush him.  Tucker just doesn’t reach as many people as it may seem.

Also, comparing him to Maddow is truly dumb. Lying and exaggerating about political shit is one thing.  Carlson pushes vax conspiracy theories and lies that lead to real world people dying and the rest of us suffering from a prolonged pandemic. 

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump doesn't have the guts to risk losing a second time.

He only runs if he's truly convinced that he has to win in order to help himself (or Ivanka) in legal matters.

But also...one could argue the only Republican that has a chance against Biden is Trump.  Like it or not, he is the “leader” of the movement and it will be challenging for the GOP not to nominate him. It’s almost like Trump doesn’t have that much choice. He will be the nominee, even if he’s dead or in prison.  I very much want to be wrong on this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

I honestly expect trump to have a stroke or MI prior to or during the primaries. 

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

It may be the hope monger in me, but I don’t believe Trump will be eligible to hold public office in ‘24.

I’ll take door #1 please. 

53 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

But also...one could argue the only Republican that has a chance against Biden is Trump.  Like it or not, he is the “leader” of the movement and it will be challenging for the GOP not to nominate him. It’s almost like Trump doesn’t have that much choice. He will be the nominee, even if he’s dead or in prison.  I very much want to be wrong on this. 

Quite the double edged sword they’ve forged for themselves.