These Thermos fucking kick ass

52-80

tons of alloy bottles on the market.  as far as i know, this is the only one that has interior vs exterior wall insulated by air. 

i pour fresh-boiled tea in it... 8 hours later, after opening it multiple times, the water is still scalding hot.  and touching outside of the bottle you wouldnt know there was warm fluid inside.

i put soda + ice cubes in it... hours later, still fizzy and ice cubes havent melted and diluted the drink. 

shits awesome.

5.1.jpg

the product lineup is a bit confusing, but basically you need to decide between:  wide mouth vs narrow mouth; and standard twist-top or with a flip-lid.  the twist top version has one with built-in tea strainer but i think thats superfluous. 

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/category/vacuum-insulated-mugs-bottles

Didn't realize so many of you work 10 hours of construction in the cold weather every day and need your cup of joe to be piping hot all the way thru 6:00p.  I kid, my wife got one of these for tea and it is nice to have around.  But I've yet to meet any technology Yeti, Thermos, or otherwise, that can be my patented technology when it comes to keeping cocktails cold---pour one in a glass and drink it in 30 minutes like an adult.  Has yet to fail me.  

2 minutes ago, retread said:
10 hours ago, baboso said:
So, it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold.  How do it know?

Buddy of mine loved that quote. Carlin?

Yeah, who was that?  It  turned into  a mildly racist joke in the 1980's, but it was a comic that first put it out there.  I don't think it was Carlin.  Although he did have a lot of rants on the idiocies of consumerism around that time, before he got deep into religious shit a few years later.  I wish there was a spotify, but for all standup bits.  

On 12/24/2018 at 9:57 AM, Lobo said:

Didn't realize so many of you work 10 hours of construction in the cold weather every day and need your cup of joe to be piping hot all the way thru 6:00p.  I kid, my wife got one of these for tea and it is nice to have around.  But I've yet to meet any technology Yeti, Thermos, or otherwise, that can be my patented technology when it comes to keeping cocktails cold---pour one in a glass and drink it in 30 minutes like an adult.  Has yet to fail me.  

30 minutes? Or are we talking like half a bottle being one drink?

32 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I feel like the beverage storage technology between coolers, thermos, or insulated cups has needlessly advanced so much since I was a kid.  I never knew society wanted to store ice or hot/cold beverages all day.  To the point that a cooler has become a status symbol.

Something is wrong with the world when you're more worried about someone stealing your cooler than your beer out of the back of your truck.

45 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Deer blind.  I might stay out there for half the day, so it's the one time a thermos of hot coffee really is needed.  

This.  Same with the duck blind.  BUT, for the deer blind, I learned to bring 1) thermos of coffee, 2) 20 oz empty gatorade bottle.  Because you gotta put all that coffee somewhere, and pissing human scent all around the blind seems like a bad idea.  So, fill a gatorade bottle with piss.  AND, if it's cold outside, you can warm your hands on the outside of the Gatorade bottle for a while.  :)

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  Same with the duck blind.  BUT, for the deer blind, I learned to bring 1) thermos of coffee, 2) 20 oz empty gatorade bottle.  Because you gotta put all that coffee somewhere, and pissing human scent all around the blind seems like a bad idea.  So, fill a gatorade bottle with piss.  AND, if it's cold outside, you can warm your hands on the outside of the Gatorade bottle for a while.  :)

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I feel like the beverage storage technology between coolers, thermos, or insulated cups has needlessly advanced so much since I was a kid.  I never knew society wanted to store ice or hot/cold beverages all day.  To the point that a cooler has become a status symbol.

Yeah. And we haven’t advance at all toward the flying car utopia advertised to us in Back to the Future 2.

We’re spending our science all wrong.

23 hours ago, 52-80 said:

* road trip / long distance driving

* hiking / outdoor exercusions

Yeah for when you really want to explore new and different places to shit

On 12/25/2018 at 10:00 AM, Upgrayedd said:

Do you even Hydroflask bro?

This is the correct answer..  IMHO indestructible

Edited by Loco

Never heard of Hydroflask before. Will have to investigate. When I was trucking and working construction back in ye olde days, I always carried a metal Aladdin thermos for coffee. I've bought 2 of them in my life and had good results with both. Still have the second one. The first got ran over by a 50 ton Euclid.

I've got an 18oz wide mouth Thermos brand for my lunch kit. Works great for soup, chili, beans, etc. They key to good performance with vacuum bottles is to preheat them with hot water for a few minutes before filling. Makes them last hours longer.

I'm also a huge fan of double wall can coozies and tumblers. Those things are greatness, even the cheap knockoff brands.

My hydroflask container is pretty good.  I had never heard of them before, either, but we were skiing in Steamboat Springs one time and wanted to hit Strawberry Park- found out no glass allowed, so bought a coffee mug(?) to pack in girlfriend's wine.  

For the most part I agree with Lobo and Gene's observations that this shit is unnecessary and more of a status symbol, but damned if it's nice to still have hot coffee when I'm out fixing fence or something else that makes a coffee refill from my office coffee pot or a convenience store inaccessible.    

6 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

For the most part I agree with Lobo and Gene's observations that this shit is unnecessary and more of a status symbol, but damned if it's nice to still have hot coffee when I'm out fixing fence or something else that makes a coffee refill from my office coffee pot or a convenience store inaccessible.    

Indispensable for day trips in rural areas.  I have to drive couple of hundred  to  treefiddy  miles round trip,  coupla days a week.  Reporting on this Border detention and migration,  tent cities, and kid warehousing.  No decent coffee to be had anymore, even at truck stops.  My old, old Thermos sits next to my RTIC tumbler.  I was pretty disgusted with the silly notion of a $20.00 water glass, but rural water in the sticks is bad. 

Edited by Pope Joan
re-wording