Apple sucks. Android is better!!!

Parliament

I love my Moto X Pure but it's 2.5 years old and I think it might be time for an update soon. I just refuse to pay $700+ for a damn phone. I think I'll go back to Motorola again, get a Moto Z2. $350 for a new phone that does everything I need? Sign me up.

3 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Drob some knowledge then. I would be interested in checking out another manufacturer not named apple.

I either stick with Google, or go with an independent like Essential whose software is actually leaner than stock Google/Android.

Motorola have also been pushing clean Google phones.  They are (Moto Mobility) of course owned by Google and for a major brand/manufacturer are very price competitive.

***next tier***

LG's recent products look really nice on paper.  They do do proprietary customization to software akin to Samsung, but the overall package is good.  And if it's just about cool form factors, good screens and cameras, then Sony deserves a look

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Eh. yeah. Samsung packs a lot of dogshit on to their phones.  But the objection is mostly theoretical.  It doesn't slow anything down (cuz the damn thing is so fast to begin with) and I still have 48G of memory left.

What does your remaining memory left have to do with the speed of the phone? 

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not a damn thing. But if bloatware doesn't slow down your phone or eat too much of your storage, who gaf?

Well Samsung phones are known for slowing down at 6 months to a year, now if it is the bloatware, shitty software, or terrible ram management can be debated. Part of what makes Pixel phones so appealing, but Samsung hardware is pretty great now. 

Bixby is a complete horseshit move by Samsung. Fucking dedicated button that is difficult to re-map. I'd take an iPhong over a Samsung with a dedicated bixby button.

My LG has been alright but reception is terrible. Of course that is also due to AT&T being an absolute suck compared to Verizon. I do like the Quad DAC for listening with headphones.

I don't think Google owns Motorola anymore.

Fuck any company that removes the headphone jack.

I couldn't figure out how to get to the settings without signing up for a Samsung account which is fucking bullshit if that's actually the case. But if wasn't my phone and I spent 5 minutes messing with it while trying to eat dinner. If it's easy I'll pass along the instructions to my friend who is technology challenged. Thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, HoustonHorn said:

I couldn't figure out how to get to the settings without signing up for a Samsung account which is fucking bullshit if that's actually the case. But if wasn't my phone and I spent 5 minutes messing with it while trying to eat dinner. If it's easy I'll pass along the instructions to my friend who is technology challenged. Thanks for the info.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jamworks.bxactions&hl=en

Have to buy the dev a cup of coffee to remap while locked, but pretty easy.  There are others, also.

And that's garbage that you have to download a third party app to disable an intrusive option that can't be disabled without signing up for an account. Just my opinion.  People certainly shouldn't have to pay to extra to remove it.

I previously loaded a remapping app on his phone before he lost his phone. Tried to do it again and one required a Samsung login and the other seemed like the phone needed to be rooted. That being said I didn't spend any time on it and I shouldn't have to. It's a bullshit way to force people to use their shitty service.

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jamworks.bxactions&hl=en

Have to buy the dev a cup of coffee to remap while locked, but pretty easy.  There are others, also.

Edited by HoustonHorn
  • Like 1

I am stuck with Samsung because att just doesn't have a better phone than the note 8 at the time. 😒 Didn't want to drop a grand straight up for a pixel after all the issues the 2 xl had. Tried iPhone for 2 years because of the messaging problems and absolutely believe it made my penis shrink. At least it now fits in your mom. 

10 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

10 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

And that's garbage that you have to download a third party app to disable an intrusive option that can't be disabled without signing up for an account. Just my opinion.  People certainly shouldn't have to pay to extra to remove it.

I previously loaded a remapping app on his phone before he lost his phone. Tried to do it again and one required a Samsung login and the other seemed like the phone needed to be rooted. That being said I didn't spend any time on it and I shouldn't have to. It's a bullshit way to force people to use their shitty service.

Calm down.  You don't have to download anything.  Press Bixby button.  When bixby opens click on settings.  Disable Bixby button.  It should take no more than 15 seconds of your life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Calm down.  You don't have to download anything.  Press Bixby button.  When bixby opens click on settings.  Disable Bixby button.  It should take no more than 15 seconds of your life.

I did that and it wanted me to sign in before I could go any further. The guy doesn't have a samsung account.

Edited by HoustonHorn

On 3/28/2018 at 11:33 AM, Handcruser said:

How do I turn off this "view 10 related pages" bullshit that's now popping up on my phone? I tried googling to no avail (sent a strongly worded feedback though) and this kind of intrusive, overhelping, meddlesome bullshit annoys me as a matter of principle.

That and a good ad blocker in general.  I want.

Edited by Parliament

How do I turn off this "view 10 related pages" bullshit that's now popping up on my phone? I tried googling to no avail (sent a strongly worded feedback though) and this kind of intrusive, overhelping, meddlesome bullshit annoys me as a matter of principle.

c2939f17180415bd9ec4d10b48db0ebc.jpg
Figured it out somehow.

This shit enrages me to an unreasonable degree.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:38 AM, Sandman said:

I love my Moto X Pure but it's 2.5 years old and I think it might be time for an update soon. I just refuse to pay $700+ for a damn phone. I think I'll go back to Motorola again, get a Moto Z2. $350 for a new phone that does everything I need? Sign me up.

I have always had Motorola. My Droid is 3 years ago but still works fine.  This just came out. Tempting.

https://www.androidcentral.com/new-leak-shows-moto-g6-g6-plus-and-g6-play-all-their-glory

On 3/28/2018 at 8:28 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Eh. yeah. Samsung packs a lot of dogshit on to their phones.  But the objection is mostly theoretical.  It doesn't slow anything down (cuz the damn thing is so fast to begin with) and I still have 48G of memory left.

Plus, you can disable all of it.

The real point to me is that Samsung continues supporting their flagships with updates after the point when even Apple has abandoned theirs. I'll never buy another LG after seeing them end-of-life their flagship after eighteen months.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:05 PM, Bevo VIII said:

Is this the thread for the poors and their “technology?”

I'm sure Jaguar owners felt the same about Lexus back in the early 90's.

Apple has already lost the war here; they're just coasting on momentum at this point while Google is accelerating.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:04 AM, HoustonHorn said:

I did that and it wanted me to sign in before I could go any further. The guy doesn't have a samsung account.

I don't know what to tell you then.  I don't have any kind of Samsung account, I never had to sign in.  Yet I was able to turn off Bixby with zero issues.

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

For a thread titled “Apple Sucks”, there sure is a lot of bitching about Android.

Which thankfully with Android if you think any one brand of phone sucks, there are dozens of options and it's not hard to find something between Samsung, LG, Motorola, Pixel, etc., etc. that will suit your needs.  With Apple you're stuck with the one shitty phone they give you.

Edited by Tom

I don't know what to tell you then.  I don't have any kind of Samsung account, I never had to sign in.  Yet I was able to turn off Bixby with zero issues.
Before he lost his phone I had remapped Bixby on his previous phone 1 at. This new phone wouldn't even let me do anything with Bixby until I signed in with a Samsung account. I tried the same app but it wanted to login to the Samsung account so it seems that Samsung had updated it to make it more difficult. That's my frustration. Companies making it increasingly difficult to ignore their increasingly invasive decisions.

It's why I hated Apple and what I loved about Android. Sucks to see that happen. I've owned several Samsung phones but I'll never get one with Bixby that requires me to have a Samsung account. Same thing with removing the headphone jack.

16 hours ago, Tom said:

Which thankfully with Android if you think any one brand of phone sucks, there are dozens of options and it's not hard to find something between Samsung, LG, Motorola, Pixel, etc., etc. that will suit your needs.  With Apple you're stuck with the one shitty phone they give you.

Id take an iPhone with Android on it. Its iOSthat sucks. The hardware is nice. 

The great thing about android is that you can have a Samsung phone if you like it and ditch touchwiz for a different launcher.

Got the Oreo update.  It is smaller than nougat, at least on the S8.  Battery life seems ok, although predicted life is an hour shorter than nougat.

But now I have a problem.  It is an unlocked S8 on Sprint.  This means that it does not have a Sprint visual vm app.  Which means that it gets a false voicemail notfication/icon in the status bar (up at the top if that's the wrong nomenclature). 

In Nougat, this could be eliminated by dragging down notifications, long pressing the notification (which brought up the phone app), and force stopping the phone app.  Now the notification doesn't work that way (and there's no phone app, per se, anymore, dialer seems to be tied into contacts).  In the event, force stopping the "phone app" or "contacts" doesn't clear the notification.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Anyone checking out the Google I/O conference? 

Here's the new features in P. My 6p is getting pretty old so I'll have to wait till I get a new phone for P though.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/05/08/android-p-features-here-is-the-entire-list-of-whats-new/

New voices for assistant sounds cool, and the way it will call a place to make an appointment for you is freaky.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/05/08/google-assistant-io-2018/

55 minutes ago, Viper said:

Anyone checking out the Google I/O conference? 

Here's the new features in P. My 6p is getting pretty old so I'll have to wait till I get a new phone for P though.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/05/08/android-p-features-here-is-the-entire-list-of-whats-new/

New voices for assistant sounds cool, and the way it will call a place to make an appointment for you is freaky.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/05/08/google-assistant-io-2018/

Gravely booze hag for me thx.

ETA

No booze hag, but they do have a homosexual (nttawwt).

Edited by Parliament