2019 Texas Women's Tennis

Aleemay

Central Arkansas will most likely be sent to OK State.

Loss to Kansas hurts pretty badly since the NCAA is changing to a new format this year where there'll be a super regional situation for the sweet sixteen. Thus the top 8 seeds get to host until the elite 8. If Texas were to get to the sweet sixteen, most likely to be sent to face UCLA or Vandy

Edited by Aleemay

24 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

LIU Brooklyn, A&M, Rice

Almost the same regional as last year haha

Oh and Miami (OH) is in. Congrats to alumni Bree Addison who's the Assistant there.

Should also mention Illinois State is in too and Dani Wagland is the grad assistant there

Post season stuff:

-Turatis and Granic make all Big 12s and have berths to the NCAA individual championships. I'm not too sure if Bianca will play though. She has to take advantage of her high ITF ranking (top 20) before her points from last year drop off.

-Anna, Petra, and Katie are champions at their lines

-Article on Petra: https://www.dailytexanonline.com/2019/05/02/croatian-champion-overcomes-homesickness-to-lead-longhorns

-Pretty tough regional for Texas. A&M is the 2nd highest ranked second seed. Rice would have also been a second seed if tennis wasn't so focused on saving money and busing teams to nearby regionals. To that end, I would rate A&M vs. Rice as a toss up.

46 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Wow aggy crushed us 4-1. Biggest upset of the tournament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I would think UNLV (ranked 76) beating Tech (ranked 26) is the biggest upset.

4 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Actually, I would think UNLV (ranked 76) beating Tech (ranked 26) is the biggest upset.

Yeah that was the biggest on paper but it was a neutral site. Texas has had such a great record outdoors at home over the past 2 years with Pepperdine as our only loss I believe. Aggy coming in and beating us 4-1 was nearly unthinkable 

hmmm...I guess it depends on how you slice it. As I mentioned earlier with how tough the regional was, Texas vs. A&M vs. Rice regional would never have happened in a sport like basketball where priority is given to balancing out the draw. A&M beat Vanderbilt this year (which they'll face in the next round) whereas UNLV did not beat a single tournament team this year until yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

High school state tournament was last week: Future walk-on Gabby Cusano won the 6A doubles title.

Other results with UT ties:

Avery Zavala (brother of 2010 grad Josh Zavala) made the singles semis, unable to defend his 6A title from last year

Kiana Graham (sister of recent soccer grad Nakia Graham) made the mixed 6A finals beating Keegan McCain (UTSA signee and daughter of former coach Patty Fendick McCain) in the semis

• Like 1

Oh wow in a long 2 hours match and the last match on court, Bianca wins on a point penalty after her opponent smacks a ball out of frustration well outside of the grounds- she was understandably mad and pure exhausted with the way Bianca was grinding (it's all good, they hugged at the net)

Perfect record on the day for the trio

Edited by Aleemay
  • Like 2

Petra lost 3 and 4 to Vandy's #1. Overall, I think it was a pretty good season for her. Won the Freeman tournament, conference line champion, got her first individual bid to NCAAs and even won her first round match, etc. Also was limited by being in a boot through the indoor part of the season.

• 3 weeks later...

Summer updates-

Labrana is in Mexico. So-so results so far in singles (has played three tournies). Just made the doubles finals so will be taking home some hardware. Will be facing against a Mexican team consisting of this year's Vandy Number 1 and Baylor Number 2 in the finals.

Turatis are in the entry list for the later part of the month. Anna is signed up to play in Tunisia and Bianca will play a 25k in Italy.

Also ITA kickoff weekend draft happened. Texas was the last site to fill up. LSU, Tech, and Iowa. Tech has some pretty good recruits coming in and I think they can beat LSU.

Teams really picked on Kansas as being the 'weak link.' Understandable as they're losing four of their starting six.

Edited by Aleemay

• 2 weeks later...

Another week and another doubles runner up for Anna (this time with an OU partner)! 😊

Both twins are also in their singles finals tomorrow. Bianca should have a new career high ranking regardless of the outcome of tomorrow's final.