Best Pocket Knife?

retread

• 1 month later...

So Kershaw dropped a bunch of new knives a few weeks back. Several have their new duralock (appears to be the same type of lock as benchmade’s axis lock). I have way too many knives, but I really dig Kershaw. I’m trying to convince myself not to pick up these two (I don’t need to hear about it from my wife):

Iridium

fd7ef9955fc6dd783db4c771f232e78e.jpg

Heist

e98373fc23e5f3c7792f53715d38f9b5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, that didn’t last long. Just ordered the Heist. I’m not a big fan of GFN handles, but the knife looks great and reviews have been good as well. Maybe they will make one with different scales later. I found it for $55 at knife center. Most other places have it for $65.

we need to road trip one day, grab lunch in Beaumont, their knife selection is second to none  …..

Motts Hardware - 13250 FM 92, Spurger, TX 77660

I’m still a huge benchmark guy. Damn great knives 

Edited by tx 3 putt

we need to road trip one day, grab lunch in Beaumont, their knife selection is second to none  …..
Motts Hardware - 13250 FM 92, Spurger, TX 77660

I’m still a huge benchmark guy. Damn great knives 

Knives and bbq. Sounds solid.

I do like Benchmade and own a few, but they are definitely proud of their products.

A couple of 2023 Benchmades that I have my eyes on:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/benchmade-knives-15535or-1-taggedout-carbon-fiber-cpm-magnacut-orange-cerakote-axis-lock/

100% getting that as soon as it comes out which apparently is not going to be until Aug/Sep.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/benchmade-knives-748-narrows-titanium-folder-m390-axis-lock/

Price on this 2nd one is, uh, steep.  I missed the Anthem when it was in production, AFAIK this is only their second non-custom titanium offering.  Not quite sure why it is so expensive though.  Back when it was an option I got a custom Bugout in M4/titanium and it was $345.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Elvis said:

I was cleaning out my dads place after he passed away recently. Scored this nice little old-fashioned. Fits great in my pocket and is a good reminder of my dad. 

012E307C-0337-4EB8-B984-BAD21A23E83B.jpeg

Hell yeah.  My edc is the trapper in yellow bone like that, although I have a TON of patina on the blades. Looks like it’ll be the last knife my old man ever bought me. I typically have a horizontal carry fixed blade I edc, but this one is 100% in my watch pocket every day.   I even check luggage for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2023 at 7:51 PM, fattyflattie said:

I don’t like checking that one (I still do) because it’s very sentimental. Sharp as a razor, and holds a good edge too.  

That one needs to be put in the safe. I have always carried a regular pocket knife, either a Case or a Moore Maker in Trapper or Stockman styles but have switched to a pocket clip type knife. The one I’m carrying now is a Benchmade and I like the knife fine, just not a fan of the clip on my pocket. I do like having the knife easier to get to and it frees up room in my pocket. 

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

That one needs to be put in the safe. I have always carried a regular pocket knife, either a Case or a Moore Maker in Trapper or Stockman styles but have switched to a pocket clip type knife. The one I’m carrying now is a Benchmade and I like the knife fine, just not a fan of the clip on my pocket. I do like having the knife easier to get to and it frees up room in my pocket. 

You’re right. I have a Moore maker trapper I got for my first Father’s Day, a nice mother of Pearl.   Dropped it once and the scales went bye :(   Still have them but will do something different with the knife.  That one probably needs to head to the safe too.    Heading over to start shopping now…

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2023 at 6:25 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I have that same stockman, although mine is in a lot worse shape.  

My Dad carried the Old Timer version of that for years.  Every old horseman/cowboy I knew growing up carried either the the Old Timer or Case version of that knife.  

• 1 month later...

Alright, time to let go of some duplicates and knives I never carry. Obviously it would be a lot easier to sell as a lot, but will sell individually. These are all used in the sense that I don’t have the boxes and they have all been carried at least a few times and others carried a lot. Mostly light usage with a few exceptions, but all in great condition. Can take individual photos for anyone interested. I may resort to reddit/marketplace. What do y’all think is a fair price for all of them together?
The only ones of significant value are the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (with custom deep pocket clip, I might still have original) and the Benchmade Mini Griptilian (556?) with custom aluminum scales (I don’t think I have original scales). Quick look at eBay and looks like $150 and $100 respectively are good estimates. The Kershaw Cryo has custom “carbon fiber” scale, but I have the original. The little Boker also has custom g10 scales and I have the original green one).
Thinking $450 for all together?

2ea3277572b62fa2afe4660322e84106.jpg

This is what I am keeping (plus a throw away Gerber in my truck and a CRKT fixed blade Ramadi I need to take glamor shots of). I’m not sold on the Kershaw Heist and kind of wish I had waited for the sprint run Iridium that I’m guessing USA made Blades or Blade HQ will likely release this year. Probably eventually get rid of the MKM too. My favorites to carry are still the Kershaw Knockout sprint runs. And I still love the Spyderco Sages. Going to get one more knockout version since I love the knife so much.

0a731a8c37e84d51e4c43ddc3705ff56.jpg

I picked up this CRKT Ramadi because it was fairly cheap and had some good reviews. Comes with a sheath and clip. It’s not a large knife, but my original idea was to have a backup with me if needed something more durable than a folder I always have with me. Just got it so haven’t used it yet. Not too expensive to leave in vehicle.

3cc5526cb1cf1bd5d6e084c15f8dd11b.jpg

5cd737bc123bf0002dcfff49e4f2d45e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2023 at 8:40 PM, RMac5 said:

Losing an expensive pocket knife shortly after it's purchase is as constant in the universe as gravity

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/31/2023 at 1:22 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Alright, time to let go of some duplicates and knives I never carry. Obviously it would be a lot easier to sell as a lot, but will sell individually. These are all used in the sense that I don’t have the boxes and they have all been carried at least a few times and others carried a lot. Mostly light usage with a few exceptions, but all in great condition. Can take individual photos for anyone interested. I may resort to reddit/marketplace. What do y’all think is a fair price for all of them together?
The only ones of significant value are the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (with custom deep pocket clip, I might still have original) and the Benchmade Mini Griptilian (556?) with custom aluminum scales (I don’t think I have original scales). Quick look at eBay and looks like $150 and $100 respectively are good estimates. The Kershaw Cryo has custom “carbon fiber” scale, but I have the original. The little Boker also has custom g10 scales and I have the original green one).
Thinking $450 for all together?

0a731a8c37e84d51e4c43ddc3705ff56.jpg

What's this?

I have a Kershaw Leek right now for my EDC, but I'm hard on pocket knives and the blade is a little flimsy for me.... That one looks kind of similar but maybe with a stouter blade?

image.png.769c7780d82a935790c3c6e14eb96b3c.png

What's this?
I have a Kershaw Leek right now for my EDC, but I'm hard on pocket knives and the blade is a little flimsy for me.... That one looks kind of similar but maybe with a stouter blade?

image.png.769c7780d82a935790c3c6e14eb96b3c.png

That’s a Cryo. It’s a budget knife. Not bad, especially if you are hard on knives. I have one for sale as part of a lot of 4 knives. Check the for sale forum.
  • Hook 'Em 1

One of my favorite knives is a SAK Cadet alox.  It's just big enough, has the caplifter and can opener, with screwdrivers and a little nail file instead of the awl or corkscrew of the sort of typical scout knife configuration.  The nail file works as a phillips-head screw driver.

It disappears in a pocket, but is still a useful size.

And that Sandvik stainless or whatever it is is about the perfect steel for me.  I can get it hairsplitting in minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/3/2023 at 8:50 PM, TwiceHorn said:

One of my favorite knives is a SAK Cadet alox.  It's just big enough, has the caplifter and can opener, with screwdrivers and a little nail file instead of the awl or corkscrew of the sort of typical scout knife configuration.  The nail file works as a phillips-head screw driver.

It disappears in a pocket, but is still a useful size.

And that Sandvik stainless or whatever it is is about the perfect steel for me.  I can get it hairsplitting in minutes.

At one point I had 3 of them because I kept misplacing one, so I'd buy a replacement, then I'd find the original, etc.  I'm presently down to two. 

The SAK cadet might be the best designed & engineered tool I own.  I love the blade for the same reason you do -- easy to get really sharp.  The next SAK I get might have to be the alox Pioneer just so I can compare it to the Cadet.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

At one point I had 3 of them because I kept misplacing one, so I'd buy a replacement, then I'd find the original, etc.  I'm presently down to two. 

The SAK cadet might be the best designed & engineered tool I own.  I love the blade for the same reason you do -- easy to get really sharp.  The next SAK I get might have to be the alox Pioneer just so I can compare it to the Cadet.

I'm basically just a slipjoint dude. The thin blades do what I want a knife to do more often than a thick-bladed "tactical" knife.  And, if you need something to pry with, the extra blades on the Cadet are shorter and thicker and better to pry with.

I have a CRKT Piet, on Swayze's recommendation, and it's about my favorite tactical knife due to its relatively small size and good ergos.  The thick blade frustrates me, though. 

I'm basically just a slipjoint dude. The thin blades do what I want a knife to do more often than a thick-bladed "tactical" knife.  And, if you need something to pry with, the extra blades on the Cadet are shorter and thicker and better to pry with.
I have a CRKT Piet, on Swayze's recommendation, and it's about my favorite tactical knife due to its relatively small size and good ergos.  The thick blade frustrates me, though. 

Man, the only way I would use a knife to pry is if I really disliked the knife.

I don’t consider the Piet to be a tactical knife. Honestly, I think many ones people call tactical I don’t think of that way. That paramilitary 2 I am selling I guess is tactical. I don’t know.

After buying and trying out different folders I really honed in on what exactly I like:

Blade 2.5-3.5” (various steels, not real snobby)
G10, titanium or aluminum scales
Preferred locking mechanism is frame lock but I also like axis style and am ok with liner.
Deep carry tip up clip

Unless it’s an interesting design, it needs to have all those for me. And likely that interesting one that doesn’t meet those criteria will sit in the collection box.

I may, or may not have picked up another version of the knockout (one of my favorites so I want multiples) and a Boker Piranha.

Send BBQ money.

I couple knives came in today.  I'll take a Kershaw Knockout family photo tomorrow.  Mostly because I like taking photos.  I know y'all know what the knives look like.  I wish I could get my hands on 3 more of them as it has become my favorite knife.  There is a damascus version still available, but I don't feel like paying $170 for it.  There is a discontinued USA Made Blades "flat dark earth" which almost looks like burnt orange with M390 steel (I have two from USA Made Blades with M390) and an elusive brownish Elmax steel version.  I am guessing both those are hard to find and price would be dumb.  Anyways...

I also got this Boker Piranha fixed blade.  Came with a nice sheath and tech type clip.  I am digging this one.  It is rather small but nice ergos and wasn't expensive.  440C steel and OD green G10 handle.  Was bored and looking for a different backdrop for a photo.  This knife will definitely be with me or in my pack as a back up to my folder.  Hopefully not to saw off my own arm when I get trapped in an abandoned building.

spacer.png

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

And, if you need something to pry with,

This hurts.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I also got this Boker Piranha fixed blade.

That is nice.  I carry a fixed blade about 75% of the time maybe now, and always have a baby trapper (but think its heading to the safe soon, sentimental)   For me, carrying fixed is the only way to go.  I don't think I've owned carried a knife with a clip in 20 years now (brother bought me an awesome Benchmade that's never once been used).  So, I'm not up to snuff on brands.  I've been carrying the same custom fixed for about a decade now.  Isn't there a decent Boker, then a really nice Boker?  Brand with a tree, right? 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

This hurts.

That is nice.  I carry a fixed blade about 75% of the time maybe now, and always have a baby trapper (but think its heading to the safe soon, sentimental)   For me, carrying fixed is the only way to go.  I don't think I've owned carried a knife with a clip in 20 years now (brother bought me an awesome Benchmade that's never once been used).  So, I'm not up to snuff on brands.  I've been carrying the same custom fixed for about a decade now.  Isn't there a decent Boker, then a really nice Boker?  Brand with a tree, right? 

Boker's hard to figure out.  For a while there Boker Tree Brand was their German slip joints, and Boker Magnum their Chinese.

For tactical type knives, they continued the Magnum for cheaper Asian ones and Boker Plus for higher-end.

Now that the Chinese have pretty seriously upped their game, along with Taiwanese, I think they all kind of blend together to some extent.  I think you just have to look at the price and features/steel to figure out if it's upper end or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Man, the only way I would use a knife to pry is if I really disliked the knife.

I don’t consider the Piet to be a tactical knife. Honestly, I think many ones people call tactical I don’t think of that way. That paramilitary 2 I am selling I guess is tactical. I don’t know.

After buying and trying out different folders I really honed in on what exactly I like:

Blade 2.5-3.5” (various steels, not real snobby)
G10, titanium or aluminum scales
Preferred locking mechanism is frame lock but I also like axis style and am ok with liner.
Deep carry tip up clip

Unless it’s an interesting design, it needs to have all those for me. And likely that interesting one that doesn’t meet those criteria will sit in the collection box.

I may, or may not have picked up another version of the knockout (one of my favorites so I want multiples) and a Boker Piranha.

Send BBQ money.

Other than prying, or batoning through wood (get an axe, geezus), or maybe through a hip or pelvis bone, I don't know what the hell you need a 3/32 or 1/8" blade for, and I'd rather have that in a fixed blade anyway.  And if you're carrying fixed, why the hell do you need a bigass folder.

So, bottom line, while I get the nice ergos and interesting locks and pivots and so forth, most of the modern or tactical or whatever designs just aren't that useful to me.

Also, would like to add.  While I think Moore Maker has dropped in quality over the last 15 years, I did purchase their machete a few weeks ago, and it is solid af.  Lowes doesn't sell machetes, btw.  I've already got some of the MM fencing pliers, and have worked with their dehorners in the past.  Their tools are considerably better than their knives, even when their knives were nicer. Really good tools.  

The Piranha is a Boker Plus, but not expensive, $69. 

I love that Kershaw knockout, but if it was 3", it would be the perfect pocket folder for me.  It is slicy, but tough and the lockup is very secure.  However, more than a couple of times, I have almost lost it.  It sits in the pocket just fine, but the nature of clips is they get caught on stuff.  I bought that CRKT Ramadi, but after getting it, I don't think it would be a good EDC and it is a bit to obvious (even in weak side carry).  A knife can come in handy when exploring abandoned places...a good tool with multiple uses.  So I wanted a good, but affordable fixed blade as a backup.  I would never EDC two knives.  Those guys are dorks.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/3/2023 at 8:00 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

You carry the pistol in your garter?

I don’t carry my Swiss Army knife. Has sentimental value though. I bought in Geneva when my brothers and I backpacked parts of Europe in 1998.

That was my mom’s gun - she confiscated it from my dad after he bought it for $20 at a gun show 50 years ago. It’s a .Colt 22 Short. 
Makes a lot of noise, but none of us carry it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Also, would like to add.  While I think Moore Maker has dropped in quality over the last 15 years, I did purchase their machete a few weeks ago, and it is solid af.  Lowes doesn't sell machetes, btw.  I've already got some of the MM fencing pliers, and have worked with their dehorners in the past.  Their tools are considerably better than their knives, even when their knives were nicer. Really good tools.  

One of MM's prime contractors for knives was Queen Cutlery, which made a pretty nice knife until the end. They went out of business and MM has a much smaller and lesser pool of contractors to make their knives.

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Oh, regarding prying…I just think of broken blade tips. Some of these steels are brittle. I wouldn’t consider this Piranha a true bushcraft knife.

As a slipjoint guy, I think of sprung pinned joints.  I grew up using slipjoints, so I know various ways to use a thin, relatively weak blade to do pretty hardcore stuff without breaking a tip or bending a blade, or taking chunks out of the edge.  But loosening the joints can be one that's hard to recover from.

As a slipjoint guy, I think of sprung pinned joints.  I grew up using slipjoints, so I know various ways to use a thin, relatively weak blade to do pretty hardcore stuff without breaking a tip or bending a blade, or taking chunks out of the edge.  But loosening the joints can be one that's hard to recover from.

I have a Gerber pry bar keychain. I think it’s called the shard. Would be better if it was the shart.

Edit. Says shard. Derp.

a4b187d8076086d3b11cc9fc8a90a9e3.jpg

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have a Gerber pry bar keychain. I think it’s called the shard. Would be better if it was the shart.

Edit. Says shard. Derp.

I've got a Shard.  When I fly and don't check baggage (which is most of the time I fly), then I replace the little multitool on my key chain with the Shard or a Leatherman Style PS.  I don't EDC it, though.  The prybar/screwdriver/nail puller part of it will occasionally dig into my leg when I'm sitting.  

I've got a Shard.  When I fly and don't check baggage (which is most of the time I fly), then I replace the little multitool on my key chain with the Shard or a Leatherman Style PS.  I don't EDC it, though.  The prybar/screwdriver/nail puller part of it will occasionally dig into my leg when I'm sitting.  

It’s a decent tool. I haven’t had any issues with it digging into me. But I keep it on my belt loop and sometimes tuck the keys and shard into back pocket to be more quiet.

I try to teach my wife and two girls that whenever possible it’s best to use the appropriate tool. Just an hour ago my wife texted me saying “I am going to use one of your knives to cut some window film.” I immediately replied and said not to do that. Sure, they are capable of doing that, but the right tool is an exacto knife and told her where it was in the house.

16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Edit. Says shard. Derp.

I have one of these that I had forgotten about on an old keyring.  There are many times over the last couple of years it would have been handy to have.  Going searching for it now.