Best Pocket Knife?

retread

7 minutes ago, huge said:

So far so good.  Only needed about 15 min charge out of the box.  Now I need to figure out if I need to use the customization.

Build quality seems solid.

Nice. Heard good things about the Rook. Love my Reylights.

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That knife is made by outdoor edge and has replaceable blades that are somewhat in the nature of a surgical scalpel.

Can get more blades here.  https://www.outdooredge.com/collections/replacement-blades

I have a few Havalon versions with the replaceable blades.  Watch out when skinning.  They are so sharp that you really have to be careful not to cut yourself

• Hook 'Em 1

More budget or budget adjacent blades.

I picked up another one of these Geo knives. $29. I had already posted about the blue one. I am kind of shocked by the quality for the price. They are chunky knives but the fit and finish are remarkable and the bald absolutely flies out. I discovered that this is the same as a Kubey (can’t recall the model), but $20 cheaper. Do I need two of them? No.

74dac82b4d6259a1ce3b0443d2fa45da.jpg

Then there is this thing. I’ve been collecting pocket knives for a long time now and know most people hate on this brand as it’s not a knife company but a “lifestyle” company. The James Brand Folsom. I got it because frankly, I liked how it looked and it meets my criteria for an EDC knife. But for the price ($110 I think), it should have better blade steel and I don’t think the hole design is the best for deployment. Maybe I keep it or maybe I trade it.

82cd6583cd514e3fc32c19d2dc06c7bd.jpg

I also found something I had been looking for, but will wait until I get it back from the manufacturer (replacing a part, sharpening) to take pics.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/25/2023 at 9:57 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

More budget or budget adjacent blades.

I picked up another one of these Geo knives. $29. I had already posted about the blue one. I am kind of shocked by the quality for the price. They are chunky knives but the fit and finish are remarkable and the bald absolutely flies out. I discovered that this is the same as a Kubey (can’t recall the model), but $20 cheaper. Do I need two of them? No.

Possibly one of the best typos in the history of this thread.

• 2 months later...

After years of hemming and hawing, this arrived today: Chris Reeve Large Sebenza 31

07fbcfe4fe23f01a06e08a807d430f8e.jpg

The small Sebenza I bought used a few years ago used on bladeforums so I knew I’d get a large Sebenza eventually.

They seem impossible to find retail and sell out on the bf exchange immediately.

Thankfully, CRK changed the design on their inlays so I didn’t form over an extra $150 for the micarta version.

Ultimately found an authorized dealer on eBay Action Concepts based in ….. Austin.

e270471f501c479f74bfcabc1ce07961.jpg
781f8f73d13413b42bf3312d3e89fed7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 6:35 PM, GottaB said:

After years of hemming and hawing, this arrived today: Chris Reeve Large Sebenza 31

07fbcfe4fe23f01a06e08a807d430f8e.jpg

The small Sebenza I bought used a few years ago used on bladeforums so I knew I’d get a large Sebenza eventually.

They seem impossible to find retail and sell out on the bf exchange immediately.

Thankfully, CRK changed the design on their inlays so I didn’t form over an extra $150 for the micarta version.

Ultimately found an authorized dealer on eBay Action Concepts based in ….. Austin.

e270471f501c479f74bfcabc1ce07961.jpg
781f8f73d13413b42bf3312d3e89fed7.jpg

How you like so far?

No regrets here. It’s a lot of money for a pocket knife especially when I have dozens of really good knives already. It’s not better at opening boxes than my others and it won’t be the end of my knife habit.

It is a good looking knife and I really like the blue stud and spacer.

I knew it was a big knife but it does not eat as much pocket space as I thought it would. It takes up about the same space as a Griptillian and less than a spyderco shaman.

It’s pretty stiff so I’m bruising my thumb trying to break it in.

Similar to my small Sebenza you can tell it’s a quality knife.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got this sucker a couple of weeks ago and I love it

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/benchmade-knives-15535or-1-taggedout-carbon-fiber-cpm-magnacut-orange-cerakote-axis-lock/

It is obviously made to be a hunting folder but it works great for EDC.  It's got sort of a Texas color scheme, the back spacer is a nice coppery burnt orange.  Magnacut blade, carbon fiber scales.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Welcome to Swayze’s Birthday Budget Blade Buying Bonanza. I’ll probably take some glamour shots later. Not pictures is a Sencut Acumen that arrives next week.

Oknife Rubato 3 (manufactured by Kizer)

Kubey Belus, Coeus, and Hyde.

These are my first jade g10 knives. Kubey does an excellent job for a budget brand. Also, I wasn’t sure about front flippers until I got the Petrified Fish Beluga, which I really like. So I picked up the Hyde. I got the Coeus in these bright goofy colors because most of my knives are black or green.

1bd19849d81c577ef78dc2eb29d51976.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Boker Magnum (budget line of Boker) Rockstub. Has 440B (yeah, B) blade with aluminum handle. Boker Germany should do a premium version with titanium handle and something like M390 steel. I think it would sell well. Form and function is perfect for EDC. But this budget version has a ton can for a blade and the action is a wee bit sticky. But for the price of a BBQ lunch, it can be yours. Boker’s version of the axis lock works as expected.

7f0a3919e8dd4d46d3129fb4b6aab120.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/29/2023 at 3:13 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Boker Magnum (budget line of Boker) Rockstub. Has 440B (yeah, B) blade with aluminum handle. Boker Germany should do a premium version with titanium handle and something like M390 steel. I think it would sell well. Form and function is perfect for EDC. But this budget version has a ton can for a blade and the action is a wee bit sticky. But for the price of a BBQ lunch, it can be yours. Boker’s version of the axis lock works as expected.

7f0a3919e8dd4d46d3129fb4b6aab120.jpg

440B -- don't think I've ever seen a blade made of that steel.  I assume it has qualities similar to 440A and C.

5 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

440B -- don't think I've ever seen a blade made of that steel.  I assume it has qualities similar to 440A and C.

Me either, but they're all about the same except for carbon content.

I'm going to guess that if a manufacturer is going to eat the tool wear that a higher-carbon 440A would cause, they're going straight for the C.

8 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

I don't know much about knives, but I picked this Finch Knife Co. Yellowjacket up a few weeks ago and I really like it.cad487c2672c4d491a6d5c6f1df43b98.jpg

Never heard of Finch Knife Co before, but that is a beautiful knife. 

Be curious to see how it holds up long term. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 10:46 PM, fattyflattie said:

Anyone doing any fixed blade stuff? I'm on a half dozen waitlists at the moment, but no one calling :( 

Which lists are you on? I much prefer fixed blades…albeit primarily for hunting.  We are big Gene Ingram fans and this grown ass man nearly cried when he told us he was folding up shop.

On 10/3/2023 at 7:49 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

This is the first knife I have seen in 440B. It’s likely awful haha.

Well, having higher C than 440A, it wouldn't be anymore awful than that.

I don't have much experience with the latest supersteels, but I have always heard that 440C holds up well against them in edge-retention, the big drawback being that it's a bitch to sharpen, comparatively.

Being a slipjoint dude that's used to frequent light edge maintenance, I find 440A to be ok, if well heat-treated.  And, I have experience with 440C and consider it to be a bitch to sharpen.  I'd think B might be a decent compromise, but it sure isn't common.

Haven't been on here in a long time. My 8 y/o daughter found this Benchmade digging around the rocks in the Guadalupe this past summer. Looked like it may have been in the water for 3-6 months, maybe longer. Cleaned it up after we got home and it's in pretty good shape. Blade flies out. bm1.thumb.jpg.37a93b06d2f5cad3df336576d8647ec7.jpgbm2.thumb.jpg.54a03e5299b4341aa6ab587e5a8462ed.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I guess the latest fads are axis and button locks. I like axis ok, not my favorite, but for whatever reason I have an aversion to button locks. Likely irrationally. Anyone else?

Thinking I should finally get a banter and was considering a Kizer Drop Dog and/or SOG Terminus XR. Any experience with those?

While I guess technically a button lock, that's an Auto my dude. Classic BenchMade MILSPEC/LEO edition. Can't name the exact model right now, but I had one nearly identical about 10-15 years ago. Got rid of it because at the time autos were illegal in Texas. 

While I guess technically a button lock, that's an Auto my dude. Classic BenchMade MILSPEC/LEO edition. Can't name the exact model right now, but I had one nearly identical about 10-15 years ago. Got rid of it because at the time autos were illegal in Texas. 

Which is an auto? I don’t recall any of those being an auto but could be wrong.

12 hours ago, Elvis said:

Anyone care to comment on OTF knives?  Are they a joke or something?  I've never tried one.

Fill a very niche space IMO. I had one for a bit, but don't consider a knife as a defensive weapon (and I'm not trained in using one for that purpose), so I sold it. They are a lot of fun to fidget with. 

I tried OTF, just did not care for it.  I'm a Benchmade auto opener guy with lots of defensive training with a knife.  It seemed bulkier in my pocket, the blade itself is pretty thin and flexes pretty easy.   It looks cool and is great at parties, but was not practical for me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The other thing, I think, about OTFs is that the mechanism to get a blade to traverse linearly is pretty complex and keeps a spring or springs under tension for long periods of time.

I believe they require maintenance and rebuilding from time to time and that fidget/flicking contributes to that.

8 hours ago, Elvis said:

OTF good for shotgunning a beer?  Good for parties?

In the general population, most people have never seen one in person and are immediately intrigued.  So when you open one to slice that troublesome foil capsule on a wine bottle or slice a piece of fruit for someone's drink, it is an attention getter and everyone wants to try it, look at it, talk about it and so on.

Been carrying this little guy around for a few years now. Originally found it in my Dad’s truck after forgetting my knife on a hunting trip. Used it to dress a buck right until the blade broke by misusing it to break the pelvis of said buck.  It sat dormant in a cigar box for 35 years and was sent to Buck for a replacement blade to be returned with a new blade all polished up and looking brand new, at no charge. Best $7.00 in shipping I ever spent.  Just small enough to not be a hassle to carry around and sharp enough to get the task done. 

IMG_2585.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

So, things I ponder on when I am drunk.  Shit hits the fan situation, why would a quality 8 inch chef's knife not be a perfectly fine blade to carry?  Assuming you could get a sheath, etc.  I mean, my Wusthof Classic is finely balanced and razor sharp. 

Just now, baboso said:

So, things I ponder on when I am drunk.  Shit hits the fan situation, why would a quality 8 inch chef's knife not be a perfectly fine blade to carry?  Assuming you could get a sheath, etc.  I mean, my Wusthof Classic is finely balanced and razor sharp. 

It would work in a pinch, but most chef’s knives have a pretty thin blade for true hard use outside the kitchen. A good bushcraft fixed is a much more versatile tool for that job because you are much less likely to snap the blade in half.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 8:23 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

benchmade-710d2-axis-lock.jpg

The Benchmade 710  was the best EDC knife u ever had, but I lost it years ago. Anybody know of a similar knife that doesn't break the bank? The closest I've found is the Benchmade Crooked River, but I'd like to find something cheaper. 

I went in with a buddy and we bought our friend a Crooked River for his 50th bday.  Its a badass knife.

Benchmade - Mini Crooked River 15085 EDC Knife with Dark Brown Wood Handle (15085-2)

On 10/31/2023 at 8:57 PM, baboso said:

bonky-michael-myers.gif

• Haha 1