Best Pocket Knife?

retread

Best Pocket Knife?

I'm thinking of buying the Buck 112. I just need something that's good for whittling and other small tasks but isn't too bulky/heavy. I'm not going to be using it to skin a deer or anything.

The 112 is about the right size but it's a bit heavier than I would like. /Tasmaniac
Buck112Ranger.jpg

• Like 1

Have you considered something like the Ontario Rat-1 or Rat-2?  

Not the same classic look, but may be a match for what you're looking for.  Both are lighter than the Buck and the blades are AUS-8 steel which I understand to be superior to the Buck's 420HC steel.

Both are around $30

https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Knife-ON8848-BRK-Rat-1/dp/B0013ASG3E/ref=pd_bxgy_200_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0013ASG3E&pd_rd_r=YWFT3WZ270ERZYZ679DA&pd_rd_w=sH0Yf&pd_rd_wg=1YNtO&psc=1&refRID=YWFT3WZ270ERZYZ679DA

IMG_3969.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There’s one for any price point. If you don’t have a delica, that’s a great start. My favorite are the sage lineup. Pick your favorite style. My favorite sage is the Sage 2. They are a great pocket size knife with a deep carry clip and a lot of blade.

Want more robust? Paramilitary 2. Native.

Delica seem too small? Endura. Or Manix.

Flipper? Domino.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My go to carry options have been the same after going through so many knives the past 10 or so years.

Benchmade Griptilian or Mini Griptilian.  Definitely one of the best lockups and has the benefit of one handed manipulation once you become familiar with Axis lock.

Spyderco Endura - One of the best utilitarian folders for the money.  I've found them as low as mid $40 dollar range when on sale, or on eBay.  The new Endura4 Full Flat Ground is an amazing cutter.  Dont like the lock as much but it's a rugged system that'll last.

I found a Zero Tolerance Sinkevich Titanium Framelock the other day and it's bumped my Grip completely out of the rotation for the past 2 months.  The hand and blade shape are unbelievable and the factory edge is surgical.   It is a robust SOB, kinda in line with a Sebenza (only obv much cheaper)  Has a lot of the same high end qualities for being a production flipper though.

Image result for zero tolerance 0450 sinkevich

• Like 2

A ton of great choices.  Don't forget about Kershaw.  Their Leek and Onion are some of the best smaller, less intrusive knives on the market and perfect for your stated use.

***and not to derail, but if you are looking for a small, lightweight "pocket" skinner, check out the Havalon series.  The Pirata is on sale on Camofire right now for only $36.99 (35% off).  These little beauties are game changers and weigh next to nothing.  

Havalon Pirata

I stumbled upon the Ganzo knock-offs of the Griptilian and Paramilitary.  Reviews are pretty good.  Any experience with them?

Yes, I know I am a cheapskate.  But I am the guy in that "I bought a knife" cartoon, so my inclination tends to be not to spend 100 or more on a knife that will, probably at best, enter a rotation with the several dozen other knives I have.  I can justify a sawbuck, though.  And 440C is as "super" a steel as I really ever want.

Also, as an IP guy, I am amused at the things the Chinese companies do to avoid infringement.  The bolt-action lock patent has expired, so that's not an issue anymore.  Spyderco has a shit-ton of design patents on their knives, and Ganzo has altered the looks of the various Spyderco knockoffs to avoid suit, I am guessing.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I stumbled upon the Ganzo knock-offs of the Griptilian and Paramilitary.  Reviews are pretty good.  Any experience with them?

Yes, I know I am a cheapskate.  But I am the guy in that "I bought a knife" cartoon, so my inclination tends to be not to spend 100 or more on a knife that will, probably at best, enter a rotation with the several dozen other knives I have.  I can justify a sawbuck, though.  And 440C is as "super" a steel as I really ever want.
Also, as an IP guy, I am amused at the things the Chinese companies do to avoid infringement.  The bolt-action lock patent has expired, so that's not an issue anymore.  Spyderco has a shit-ton of design patents on their knives, and Ganzo has altered the looks of the various Spyderco knockoffs to avoid suit, I am guessing.

I’ve owned several ganzos. Good stuff. Worse I’ve seen is uneven grind and some finishing that wasn’t perfect but largely good knives.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GottaB said:

I’ve owned several ganzos. Good stuff. Worse I’ve seen is uneven grind and some finishing that wasn’t perfect but largely good knives.

Cool, thanks. Axis locks hold up ok? Any one model better than another? I must say that I am intrigued by the Grip knockoff as I have always kind of wanted one. 

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Real men own a Buck Knife. It’s a fact. You can own something else as well, but you gotta have a Buck Knife to get in the club. 

There is some truth to this.  MIght as well get specific and say a 110.  Thing is a total beast.  But it does kind of make one question the need for a folding knife when things reach a certain weight and bulk.

Got the Ganzo 7392 in orange G10 with stonewashed blade, the Griptilian imitation. It's damned impressive for 16 bucks.  I would venture to say that most manufacturers would be happy/proud to sell this knife for 50 or 100 bucks. Fit and finish is spot on, lockup and centering are solid, the grind is close to perfect and it's sharp.  No blade play in any direction.  The action is slightly gritty or rough I guess you would say, but not super-noticeable, and I assume it will wear in.  It is a tad on the heavy side because the liners aren't drilled/milled.  The handle is G10 slabs on pretty thick steel liners, which I think is a slightly more robust construction than the benchmade.

It is also a pretty large knife.  I thought about getting the Lionsteel SR1 knockoff, but it is by most accounts large and heavy and this pseudo-Grip is large and heavy enough.

Really one hell of a deal.  So far, unconditionally recommended, especially for the price.

Edited by TwiceHorn

14 hours ago, GottaB said:

Fixed blades? I like fixed blades.

9f23dea3d152e391f90c5ca30edaa805.jpg

Benchmade bone collector skinner
Bradford guardian 3
Kizer T1
Spyderco street beat

Yknow, I don't believe I have ever seen a Spyderco fixed blade before.  Kind of amusing that it still has a little hole in it near the choil.

Back to this Ganzo.  In just a day of fiddling with it, the action has smoothed out quite a bit.  Despite its weight and size, it carries pretty comfortably.  But it is large.  And I say this with one of my most carried knives being a Case Copperlock, which is not small.

I have a couple of knives with pocket clips, including a Leek.  But with this Ganzo beast, I have noticed that a clip makes carry of a large, heavy knife easier than just having it in your pocket.  Do many of you EDC a 3" plus blade?

Also, a note on Chinese manufacturers/ing.  We all know that under western supervision, Chinese factories can turn out top quality stuff.  I think every US knifemaker has a line or other big chunk of their knives made in China and they are good.  Apple products are made in China and they're good.  Even the ZTE, Huawei (and a couple of others) cell phones are pretty good and they aren't even sold in most western markets.

But heretofore, left to their own devices, Chinese tend to make junk or junky stuff.  That seems to be finally coming to an end to one degree or another. 

However, their design "impulse" still seems to be to imitate others. As long as any patents are expired, this doesn't bother me in the least, but I find it rather curious.

Edited by TwiceHorn

There are a range of manufacturers in China making knives. Some at the direction of US companies like Spyderco, some are making cheap crap, and there are some higher end $300-500 knives from good designers or collaborating with makers around the world.

Kizer has a broad lineup of $40-300 knives.

We Knives, Rike, Ruike, Stedemon, etc all make some good stuff and some are unique (not copies). I find it hard to spend $300 on any knife much less a Chinese knife when there are great makers like chris Reeve at home.

I happen to have a handful of Kizers with titanium handles, great steel and bearing pivots which MSRP $180-320. I would never have bought them at that price, but the quality is pretty close to American $300 knives.

They are selling some good stuff at competitive prices.

Then there are places like We knives who produce products for other companies under other names.

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yknow, I don't believe I have ever seen a Spyderco fixed blade before.  Kind of amusing that it still has a little hole in it near the choil.

Back to this Ganzo.  In just a day of fiddling with it, the action has smoothed out quite a bit.  Despite its weight and size, it carries pretty comfortably.  But it is large.  And I say this with one of my most carried knives being a Case Copperlock, which is not small.

I have a couple of knives with pocket clips, including a Leek.  But with this Ganzo beast, I have noticed that a clip makes carry of a large, heavy knife easier than just having it in your pocket.  Do many of you EDC a 3" plus blade?

Also, a note on Chinese manufacturers/ing.  We all know that under western supervision, Chinese factories can turn out top quality stuff.  I think every US knifemaker has a line or other big chunk of their knives made in China and they are good.  Apple products are made in China and they're good.  Even the ZTE, Huawei (and a couple of others) cell phones are pretty good and they aren't even sold in most western markets.

But heretofore, left to their own devices, Chinese tend to make junk or junky stuff.  That seems to be finally coming to an end to one degree or another. 

However, their design "impulse" still seems to be to imitate others. As long as any patents are expired, this doesn't bother me in the least, but I find it rather curious.

carrying ganzo firebird today. mine is a little big for edc but it is a good knife. opens smooth as a pups belly and will take a very good edge. Ganzo knives are damn fine for the money. if i leave this ganzo in a golf cart or something.. i dont give a fuck.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I see a number of "Firebird" knives under the Ganzo name (and even mine, which is the Grip Rip, so to speak) has the "firebird" logo on the "obverse" side.

Is yours the one that looks like the Lion Steel SR1?

model f758

and mine is not g10..

i am going to buy of those now.

Edited by llanoflash

My Buck 110  I ordered came in today and it's spring assisted, which wasn't in the description on Amazon. Well the damn thing is dangerous, it barely stays closed and opens if you look at it. Needless to say I'm sending it back and getting a refund. Has anyone else come across this, or did I receive a one that got pass quality control?

I didn’t know they made a spring assisted one.

I’ve had other spring assisted knives and never had problems like that.

The only buck I wanted and never got was a 112FG. Someday.
Maybe I should post it in the Chinese manufacturing thread, but here it is. The oval brass piece is the spring assist.9c1317221f008058d188d05093d5af42.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think they refer to that as the Automatic.  Which yes, it uses a spring to open it but when you use a button to open its considered automatic.  Assisted is like a kershaw blur (and many others) which have a thumb stud or flipper and when you start to open, the spring helps the action the rest of the way.  I believe the "assisted opening" knives and their rapid deployment helped get "automatic knife" (push button) laws softened up or repealed.  

Edited by GottaB
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, butthurt said:

Maybe I should post it in the Chinese manufacturing thread, but here it is. The oval brass piece is the spring assist.9c1317221f008058d188d05093d5af42.jpg

I was unaware that Buck made an "automatic" version, but upon googling, that appears to be an aftermarket conversion that predated the Buck OEM model.  The OEM has a quite different button and an indention in the tang, but no notch below the choil.  Here's the OEM:

maxresdefault.jpg

If you aren't aware, Amazon hosts product from vendors that aren't Amazon.  Still, the Amazon return policy usually applies.  But there's more caveat emptor needed with Amazon than there used to be.  Your example appears fairly rough, but that might be the photo.  Still the modification requires disassembly of the knife and it looks like it didn't get polished up to factory standards.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

I was unaware that Buck made an "automatic" version, but upon googling, that appears to be an aftermarket conversion that predated the Buck OEM model.  The OEM has a quite different button and an indention in the tang, but no notch below the choil.  Here's the OEM:
maxresdefault.jpg

If you aren't aware, Amazon hosts product from vendors that aren't Amazon.  Still, the Amazon return policy usually applies.  But there's more caveat emptor needed with Amazon than there used to be.  Your example appears fairly rough, but that might be the photo.  Still the modification requires disassembly of the knife and it looks like it didn't get polished up to factory standards.
Thanks for the info. I noticed the janky-ness of the "spring assist" button and I asked for a refund. I'll order another 110 from Buck's website.

3 minutes ago, butthurt said:

Thanks for the info. I noticed the janky-ness of the "spring assist" button and I asked for a refund. I'll order another 110 from Buck's website.

I'm sure you can find one cheaper, if you want, on Amazon, just make sure that it's a regular 110.  This one seems to be authentic and "normal." https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-Folding-Genuine-Leather/dp/B000EHYZKK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524624562&sr=8-2&keywords=buck+110

I found a 110 in a gift tin at Wally World not too terribly long ago for 9.95.  No joke.

• Like 1

So, I often carry a Case Copperlock, which is not a small knife. And even it took some getting used to and it is big enough that I don't whip it out in public too casually.  But this ganzo is a whole other beast. As mentioned, it carries pretty well despite its heft and size due to the clip, but the blade is broader and thicker than the Case by a significant margin so I feel extra self conscious whipping it out. Not quite like carrying a 110,but close. 

Also any recs for loosening the clip a tad? 

EDC of a knife this stout is going to take some getting used to. Maybe I am just a slip joint guy. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 4/23/2018 at 3:32 PM, llanoflash said:

carrying ganzo firebird today. mine is a little big for edc but it is a good knife. opens smooth as a pups belly and will take a very good edge. Ganzo knives are damn fine for the money. if i leave this ganzo in a golf cart or something.. i dont give a fuck.

Bought a ganzo multitool off of your post. Figured $25 delivered what the hell. 

Wow, very nice. The blade even shaves hair from the factory. 

• Like 1