Best Pocket Knife?

retread

On 4/2/2020 at 2:12 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

I'm only nominally a Knife Guy (mostly haven't really had any reason to bother searching outside of Spyderco's product line for the past 20 years...) but am thinking of getting myself something a little more "upscale." However, I need a little help from the peanut gallery. 

From among these choices of woods (don't really want any of the bone options), are there any options that are somehow substantially better or worse than the others? 

https://www.fontenille-pataud.com/en/208-laguiole-le-pocket-105-cm-knives

Thanks! 

Went with the amourette pocket knife. Wanted something nice looking for the times when having a knife clipped to my pocket is inappropriate, and wanted something relatively lightweight and that wouldn't clang against all the other shit in my pocket. 

Haven't really had much opportunity to carry it yet, but I really dig the feel, weight, and craftsmanship. 

20210520_125042.jpg

20210520_125106.jpg

20210520_125124.jpg

20210520_125155.jpg

20210520_125218.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Went with the amourette pocket knife. Wanted something nice looking for the times when having a knife clipped to my pocket is inappropriate, and wanted something relatively lightweight and that wouldn't clang against all the other shit in my pocket. 

Haven't really had much opportunity to carry it yet, but I really dig the feel, weight, and craftsmanship. 

20210520_125042.jpg

20210520_125106.jpg

20210520_125124.jpg

20210520_125155.jpg

20210520_125218.jpg

That's a beautiful blade...

"Fart" on the liner for when you really need to cut one?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NWBuck said:

That's a beautiful blade...

"Fart" on the liner for when you really need to cut one?

Thanks!

I feel like it's always worth the extra outlay to customize items of heirloom quality, and simply couldn't resist the opportunity to make a juvenile improvement to something so elegant looking otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

I'm left handed. Any recs on a thin EDC with good steel that is an assisted opening that is user friendly to us lefties?

Same.  I still carry the Kershaw Leek because it has the level on the back of the blade to flip it open.  Those type of assist options have always worked best for me.  Can't tell you how many times I've been up a ladder, balancing a sack of corn of protein and can't get the damn thing open and only have one hand to do it.  Just flip the back and out the blade comes.

If you want to go BDE, get a Microtech....

microtech+mini+ultratech+copy.gif

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sort of a long-term review of the CRKT Piet.  First thing, I'm a slipjoint guy, generally speaking.  I tend to like thin blades and often more than one of them.  But, one of my common carry knives is a single-blade Copperlock.

Anyway, I have purchased a number of "tactical" or more modern folders.  Nothing really spendy because in the end, I just don't like them that much, while acknowledging that they can have pretty good functionality and ergonomics.  One thing is that during the pandemic, I have been wearing shorts a lot, or sweatpants, and a clipped knife generally works better than a pocket carry in those flimsy britches.

I do, however, quite like the Piet.  It's a good size, not too big, not too small, and the handle fills my large, grubby paw nicely despite not being very big. It came sharp and the Chyna steel has been perfectly adequate at keeping the edge, with touchup on AlO rods.  I'm not real hard on blades, but it has done some duty breaking down the ubiquitous Amazon boxes, which is usually pretty hard on an edge.

The handle, pivot, lock, and clip have all held up well, both functionally and aesthetically.  The pivot will loosen a bit over time, and just finger-tight with a torx bit snugs it up for another couple of months. Some blue loctite would probably fix that nearly permanently, but I can't be assed.  For a relatively cheap knife using cheap materials/construction methods, it has held up very well and maintains the appearance and feel of a much more expensive knife.

The one complaint I have, and it hits at the heart of my dissatisfaction with tactical type folders is that the blade is thiccc.  Really probably too thick for its size.  The other, that's relatively minor, is that the textured handle (which I like very much) under the clip makes it a little hard to slide it on and off a pocket and also kind of feels like it's going to tear things up over time, but it hasn't as far as I can tell.

If a knife this size is useful to you, I don't think I can recommend it enough, especially considering the cost.  I'd say CRKT and Voxnaes knocked it out of the park

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

The one complaint I have, and it hits at the heart of my dissatisfaction with tactical type folders is that the blade is thiccc.  Really probably too thick for its size. 

the Chyna steel has been perfectly adequate at keeping the edge

Nothing really spendy

That's typically why.  The metal is not particularly unique (like SV30, for example) so they offset durability and functionality by making the blade wider so it's doesn't snap on you.  For everyday use, they are great.  I have two CRKT folders that I have had for years.  Never met a sack of corn or Amazon box they couldn't overcome...

On 8/16/2021 at 10:00 AM, BabaYaga said:

That's typically why.  The metal is not particularly unique (like SV30, for example) so they offset durability and functionality by making the blade wider so it's doesn't snap on you.  For everyday use, they are great.  I have two CRKT folders that I have had for years.  Never met a sack of corn or Amazon box they couldn't overcome...

The whole design philosophy of tactical knives seems to be focused on a certain stoutness, as if they're all going to function as a pry bar or hatchet at some point, regardless of their fundamental unsuitability for that purpose (size, folder, etc.).  

Having grown up with thin-bladed slipjoints, with no lock, and relatively delicate pinned joints, I am just not in the habit of using a knife that way and have learned all the ways to do things like open a paint can without stressing the joints or damaging the blade.  So the lack of a lock and the sort of fundamental weakness of a slipjoint has never bothered me.  If I anticipate needing a pry bar, I carry a fixed blade, or an actual pry bar.

It's funny, though, the jointless designs, friction folders, like the higonokami, seem weird to me, when, relatively speaking, a friction folder is as to a slipjoint as a slipjoint is to a lockblade.

Edited by TwiceHorn

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The whole design philosophy of tactical knives seems to be focused on a certain stoutness, as if they're all going to function as a pry bar or hatchet at some point, regardless of their fundamental unsuitability for that purpose (size, folder, etc.).  

Having grown up with thin-bladed slipjoints, with no lock, and relatively delicate pinned joints, I am just not in the habit of using a knife that way and have learned all the ways to do things like open a paint can without stressing the joints or damaging the blade.  So the lack of a lock and the sort of fundamental weakness of a slipjoint has never bothered me.  If I anticipate needing a pry bar, I carry a fixed blade, or an actual pry bar.

It's funny, though, the jointless designs, friction folders, like the higonokami, seem weird to me, when, relatively speaking, a friction folder is as to a slipjoint as a slipjoint is to a lockblade.

My daily carry is a 20 year old SOG X-ray Vision, tanto blade w/ combo edge. I've done all types of stuff with it from saw through 5/16" double wall cardboard crate to cutting 1.5" poly marine rope to slicing/digging a trench in my yard to bury a dog fence wire. I've used the tanto edge of the blade as a chisel scraper more times on more surfaces than I can count. I wouldn't have been able to do any of those things with a slip joint, not easily or safely anyway. When heavier tasks pop up and the knife in your pocket is capable, it's awesome not having to track down an additional tool. I agree that anyone with half a brain should know not to use a pocket folder of any type as a legit pry bar or to baton firewood but alas, there are plenty of dumbasses out there.

• Hook 'Em 2

Weird bit of information.

Some of you may be familiar with the "knives of Doug Ritter."  He's some survival type dude (not a survivalist) that used to offer what I recall was a Benchmade Griptilian with upgraded steel that he called the RSK, or Ritter Survival Knife.  www.dougritter.com

In any event, some years back, Benchmade told him they would no longer make his SFO knives for him.

So, it appears that he turned to Hogue, the pistol grip manufacturer, for his new knives, which seem to be very similar to the Griptilian.

I wasn't aware that Hogue made knives, but they're evidently pretty nice.  https://www.hogueinc.com/knives/hogue/manual-knives

• Like 1

Weird bit of information.
Some of you may be familiar with the "knives of Doug Ritter."  He's some survival type dude (not a survivalist) that used to offer what I recall was a Benchmade Griptilian with upgraded steel that he called the RSK, or Ritter Survival Knife.  www.dougritter.com
In any event, some years back, Benchmade told him they would no longer make his SFO knives for him.
So, it appears that he turned to Hogue, the pistol grip manufacturer, for his new knives, which seem to be very similar to the Griptilian.
I wasn't aware that Hogue made knives, but they're evidently pretty nice.  https://www.hogueinc.com/knives/hogue/manual-knives

Ritter explained, "when Benchmade advised me in the summer of 2016 that as part of a restructuring that they were no longer going to produce my RSK knives, it was quite a shock. These highly regarded knives have been my primary source of income for the last decade. That income is what has allowed me to spend the majority of my time on Knife Rights' efforts to free knife owners from irrational knife restrictions. This has resulted in 32 bills repealing knife bans enacted in 22 states, eight anti-knife bills defeated and numerous litigation victories since 2010. The sales also support my Equipped To Survive site and my participation on numerous national and international safety and survival standards committees. Walking away from Knife Rights and ETS due to the loss of knife income simply wasn't an option I would consider."

Ritter continued, "a number of knife companies approached me after I announced that Benchmade discontinued production, eager to take on this successful line of knives." In the end, Ritter has teamed with Hogue, Inc. to produce the next generation RSK Mk1-G2. Ritter said, "in Hogue I believe I have found a partner who understands my goals, is dedicated to producing world-class knives in the U.S. with customer service second to none. They are also committed to helping Knife Rights continue to forge a Sharper Future for all Americans."

20 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Hogue Deka is a really nice lightweight knife that beats the Benchmade Bugout in almost every way. I have a Bugout for "shorts and flip flops" situations. My buddy has a Deka - the build quality difference between those two knives is night and day. Better steel, smoother action and better handle material. Same ballpark $$$ wise as the Bugout as well. Also made in USA. I'm a fan of Hogue.

236D9CAB-0BDF-4471-978E-957EDCA57FD0-e16

Hogue-Knives-Deka-Folding-DP-Blue-Lava-G

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I believe they are to be sold as a package deal with a Black Rifle T-shirt and a G-Shock watch as well....;)  YETI sticker on the back of the truck to be included soon.

If I was ever in a situation where my life depended on my knowledge of fieldcraft, that's when you step up and open you wallet to the "real" makes like Winkler, Half-Faced Blades, etc.  

I've never carried a knife for the sake of protection, but if I ever did, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better combination of price, weight and functionality that the SOB Puncher.  It's 100% synthetic (G10) and sharp and durable enough to shave wood scrapings with to start a fire and can be re-sharpened with sandpaper.  Only metal are the two screws on the kydex sheath.  Retails for around $50

image1_3_large.jpg?fit=480,480&ssl=1

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/18/2021 at 5:10 PM, GottaB said:

Yeah. It happened a while back. I was just getting into knives when he got the finger from Benchmade. For a shot while, all I did was buy Ritter grips and mini grips and buy custom scales for them.

Eventually my interest shifted.

Knifecenter carries them, better value than Benchmade imo considering the materials. No aftermarket scales I've seen however...

Like this Mini RSK 

spacer.png

Not exactly like the Benchmade, I tried to swap a RSK blade with a Griptilian they are slightly different.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...

Got bored and ordered one of these:

L154S.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I have always heard great things about them as a cheap, useful knife, like Moras and Opinels.  I have an Opinel somewhere, but the humidity around here sometimes makes the handle swell and tightens the joint and it's pretty fat in your pocket.

This should avoid those problems.  They aren't so cheap anymore, except relatively.  I will report back when it comes.

I got the carbon version (C75) because I don't really have enough carbon knives.  One funny thing about me and carbon steel.  I care for my knives such that rust isn't an issue.  But, if a knife comes with mirror polished blades, like most Case CV knives, I struggle to keep that mirror finish.  It's absurd, but I have a hard time letting it go.

Because this is satin finished, I won't have that issue and, can "bring it back" pretty easily to satin if I want.

Also, carbon can be a bit of a bummer if you use your knife to cut up an apple, or slice into orange peel to get that started.  It will not only start the corrosion almost immediately, but it can leave a funky taste, or oil, or both.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

New toy.  Burned some old gift cards.  Not hard to open with one hand.  We'll see how it holds up.  

Spyderco.jpg

Endura?  Or Delica? I can't keep em straight.  I've always kind of wanted a spydie, but when I start looking, kind of go big, like for a supersteel and g10 and whatnot.

And then, because I need no knives at all, much less a $150-200 one, I buy something cheap like the Black Cat, above.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Endura?  Or Delica? I can't keep em straight.  I've always kind of wanted a spydie, but when I start looking, kind of go big, like for a supersteel and g10 and whatnot.

And then, because I need no knives at all, I buy something cheap like the Black Cat, above.

Delica.  Not something I would seek out, but it was a good price so I thought WTH?

Checked the few boxes I have:

• thin blade & frame/handle & lightweight so I can wear with jeans or slacks
  • can open with one hand
  • Decent price....so when I lose it or mess it up, I'm not too torn up.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Delica.  Not something I would seek out, but it was a good price so I thought WTH?

• can open with one hand

A deal somewhere? 😬😬

• can open with one hand

That’s an endura. Says so on the side. d4fd9a406123ef2b144f3dba5da6fb57.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

Goddamn it. Two threads for knives. I have been posting lately in the other one, but this is more appropriate.

Anyways, go there for photos. Recently bought the Civivi Pintail and Brazen. Returned the pintail, digging the brazen.

However, I still haven’t found a knife that I want to replace as my edc than the special edition Kershaw Knockout. It’s discontinued now and was curious what they go for. On eBay there is one for $300. Crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Ah, shit.  I can't tell them apart and I'm still carrying my smaller Leek.  Good catch.  I know next to nothing about Spyderco's.  Always used Kershaw.

*What's the difference between the two?

I believe the Delica is a tad smaller than the Endura and has a slightly broader, more leaf-shaped blade.

Actually, upon looking, quite a bit smaller.  The Endura blade is almost an inch longer.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Another bit of knife trivia and history and the passing of a fairly legendary company.

I was dicking around the other day and saw an Al Mar knife on Amazon for less than $50.  You may be aware that Al Mar was an Asian American SF soldier that became chief designer at Gerber before they went to shit.

He went out on his own, having knives of his design made by Sakai or Moki in Seki City, Japan, where really lovely folders are made.  Using mostly VG-10 steel, which is still pretty good, I think, and spendy.

His knives were always real expensive, and, according to wiki, his folding SERE "combat knife" was the first factory knife to sell for more than $100 in the US.

Anyway, he died in the 90s and his widow and a trusted exec carried on until about 2017, when they were ousted and the whole mfg deal moved to China.  

Now Kershaw makes a few of his designs, as well.

He always had interesting-looking grinds on the blades and they were rather pretty in that Asian sort of way.

31s7c4gGjSL._AC_.jpg

This is a "new" one.  The old, classic one was a lock back with a thumbstud.

Here's an original, with the non "ultralight" handle.

s-l225.webp

Now going for 1500 or more on ebay.

Kinda sad.  But you can now have an "Al Mar" knife for less than 50 bucks.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 2/16/2022 at 7:53 AM, TwiceHorn said:

But, if a knife comes with mirror polished blades, like most Case CV knives, I struggle to keep that mirror finish.  It's absurd, but I have a hard time letting it go.

That’s funny. I’m the exact opposite. No rust at all, but all mine have a sort of case hardened type looking finish. The only thing that’s mirror finish is the top of the blade and the edge. But that’s just my folders.  My current edc fixed is Damascus. 

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That’s funny. I’m the exact opposite. No rust at all, but all mine have a sort of case hardened type looking finish. The only thing that’s mirror finish is the top of the blade and the edge. But that’s just my folders.  My current edc fixed is Damascus. 

Well, as long as it doesn't come mirror finished, I don't care.  I just take it as a personal challenge to maintain that fucker as long as possible.  I have old carbon knives that are gray and spotty.  I really only have one mirror finished carbon knife, but it's probably 15 years old and still shiny as hell.

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, as long as it doesn't come mirror finished, I don't care.  I just take it as a personal challenge to maintain that fucker as long as possible.  I have old carbon knives that are gray and spotty.  I really only have one mirror finished carbon knife, but it's probably 15 years old and still shiny as hell.

I’m unbelievably anal about my kitchen set. Mint. All the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/16/2022 at 7:53 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Got bored and ordered one of these:

L154S.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I have always heard great things about them as a cheap, useful knife, like Moras and Opinels.  I have an Opinel somewhere, but the humidity around here sometimes makes the handle swell and tightens the joint and it's pretty fat in your pocket.

This should avoid those problems.  They aren't so cheap anymore, except relatively.  I will report back when it comes.

I got the carbon version (C75) because I don't really have enough carbon knives.  One funny thing about me and carbon steel.  I care for my knives such that rust isn't an issue.  But, if a knife comes with mirror polished blades, like most Case CV knives, I struggle to keep that mirror finish.  It's absurd, but I have a hard time letting it go.

Because this is satin finished, I won't have that issue and, can "bring it back" pretty easily to satin if I want.

Also, carbon can be a bit of a bummer if you use your knife to cut up an apple, or slice into orange peel to get that started.  It will not only start the corrosion almost immediately, but it can leave a funky taste, or oil, or both.

Got this in today.  I'm pretty impressed, really.  It has a stamped, folded steel handle that is slim, but much more comfortable to hold than it sounds, including with the lock hump.  It disappears in a front or back pocket despite the 4"+ handle. The "forward" sloping part of the button is even a bit like a place for your thumb and sort of "cooperates" with that little ricasso on the other side to give a really firm grip for brutal-type work.

As cheap as the design is, the actual construction is about as well-executed as could be.  No blade play up and down or side to side.  And the blade is a thing of simple beauty.  Clean stampings (blade itself and the words Mercator and Germany Solingen)  on the obverse. It's got good walk and talk and locks up solid.  I thought the locking bar would be difficult to operate, but it isn't.

These knives have been made since 1867, although the original manufacturer was liquidated in 1995.  They are now made by Otter Messer and they seem to have invested in keeping the tooling up.  Based on this, I think I would recommend an Otter Messer knife.

Came reasonably sharp for a slipjoint type knife (which are notorious for "factory edges" as a derogatory term),  But 10 strokes on an Al O rod got it hair popping.  God, carbon steel is great.

A pretty good video here.  

Due to whatever, these aren't as cheap as they used to be (you could get them for under $20 for the longest time), but if you like historical things that work, the Mercator K55K Schwarze Katze is pretty awesome.

You can get them with stainless, brass, or copper handles, too, with an otter instead of the cat.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 4 weeks later...

Well a month or so into carry of the K55K Schwarze Katze.  Pretty, pretty good.  Blade remains untarnished with an oily rag wipe and not cutting into any fruits or vegetables.  I did sharpen a bit to clean up a slightly uneven grind, but it takes a terrific edge and can be kept up with just AlO rods.

It did develop a burr at that square corner just in front of the lock bar, I think from the blade moving and grinding on the softer stainless of the handle.  Was kind of annoying catching on the pocket, but is going away.  Fairly surprised the cheap construction didn't have more such burrs.  I couldn't quite find the burr to "grind it off" with anything, could just feel it.

The ergos are surprisingly good.  I'm not a big fan of metal handles and, while I like slim in the pocket, I acknowledge that a slim handle may not be the most comfortable.  This just works though. 

The steel is interesting.  It's C75 (pretty similar to 1075) and supposedly ht into the mid 50s HRC.  It sharpens like it's relatively soft in terms of ease of restoring the edge.  But, on the "stone" or other abrasive, it doesn't have that sort of soft, gummy feel that some lower cost, especially stainless, steels have.  And it keeps a certain "toothiness" to the edge despite using quite fine abrasives and even stropping.  Seems pretty similar to other "Solingen" steels, in those respects.  It's not advertised as "hammer forged" or anything like that, but I think the Krauts do tend to "forge" their blades a little more than the rest of the world, where they're just stamped and ground and that's it.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Yep, the color hooked me.  I had no reason to buy this haha, but here I am.  Same quality as other Civivi knives, but a touch too small.  I will keep it though.
52539976967_836bf15d12_b.jpg
52540921755_27aa40352b_b.jpg

Almost bought it when they put a lot on sale last week but this was an exception so not included.

Instead ended up ordering a Spyderco Para 3 lightweight from knivesshipfree.

It’s a great size and shape.

On 2/19/2022 at 10:32 PM, fattyflattie said:

You have a pic of that edc damascus knife?

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Haha. Nah, she is right. We just bought 4 tickets to Italy. I should cool my jets haha

I get it.  Went to Sweden & Denmark this summer for kids sports.  Set us back a fortune.  Expensive knives are like the Ring in LOTR anyways....always looking to get lost and find a new owner.

I've burned through hundreds over the years

• Like 1

Bought my first two knives in a long while a few months ago. From a new to me company out of Dallas. Tactile Knife Co. Sister company of Tactile Turn that has been doing pens for years (I have one of those as well).

This is the first gen Rockwall flipper, and the current gen Rockwall in their Golf pattern. Flipper is XHP blade steel, the Golf is in Magnacut. If you like thinner pocket profile knives, these things are just fantastic. Haven't carried anything else but these since I got them. The flipper is no longer made, so you will have to find it on the secondary market, but they are available. The thumbstud is current production and can be bought in many flavors either direct or through dealers.

https://tactileknife.co

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2