- DL - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- LB - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- CB - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- S - Go fuck yourself, bitch
- K/P- Go fuck yourself, bitch

Out of rep for the day but awesome. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

[Con] Never been a CTJ hater. Just wanted to acknowledge that so you didn't confuse me with someone else. [text]

I think you've accused others for being pedantic for much less. Yes, hell of a season was an overstatement without consideration of circumstances. My take, as you've mentioned everyone is allowed to have, is that he did, in fact, have a good season with consideration of the factors I mentioned. No, 79th (in one stat, mind you) isn't average. But you're smart enough to realize the overall point I was making and admitted as much with the first line of your post. 

No threats. Maybe a piss poor attempt at a joke (hence the office reference) to get the thread back on track. 

As for my intellect, how dare you sir!?!?! I'm a devout member of Close to Jumping's school of vocabulary & shit talking. I'm learning new things everyday. 

Let's be clear here, I'm not above pedantic, petty, didactic, or myriad other terms I sling at other people when it suits my purposes. 

That considered, I was just observing how you were exposing your flanks in the responses to your critics.

The rest regarding snapshot takes vs future views is just a pet peeve, so fair enough if that was a joke.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jinx said:

I'm catching up, but wasted about 5 minutes mesmerized by this loop.  

I watched the bottom half of it for 30 minutes during a conference call. I was scrolling down when I got on the call and I didn't even realize there was a top half. Still mesmerizing.

TFB ramblings on WRs, TEs, and the OL

With spring football practicing opening on March 11th we continue to take a look at each position group for the Longhorns. This week we will direct our attention to the Wide Receivers and Tight Ends on the offensive side of the ball, while we will conclude our look at the defense by focusing on the Defensive Backs.

Offense

*Wide Receivers/Tight Ends*

Starters:

X: Collin Johnson (6’6 225) Senior

Z: Devin Duvernay (5’11 210) Senior

Slot: Josh Moore (6’1 175) Sophomore

TE: Cade Brewer (6’3 250) Junior

Projected Backups:

X: Brennan Eagles (6’3 225) Sophomore

Z: John Burt (6’3 195) Senior

Slot: Jordan Whittington (6’1 205) Freshman OR Jordan Pouncey (6’1 205) Sophomore

TE: Reese Leitao (6’3 250) Sophomore

Reserves:

X: Malcolm Epps (6’5 230) RS Freshman

Z: Al’Vonte Woodard (6’1 205) RS Freshman

Slot: Jordan Pouncey (6’1 205) Sophomore OR Jordan Whittington (6’1 205) Freshman

TE: Jared Wiley (6’6 240) Freshman OR Rob Cummins (6’5 260) Sophomore

What We Know: Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay return and are expected to be the Senior leaders of the Wide Receiver room. Johnson (68-985-7) contemplated an early entry into the 2019 NFL Draft, before ultimately deciding to return to Texas for his final season with All-American aspirations. Duvernay (41-546-4) is one of the premier deep threats in the Big XII with his straight-line speed and reliable hands. Sophomore Slot WR Josh Moore (7-53-1) was on the field early and often before missing the final eight games of the season with a shoulder injury. He is expected to be a full-go for spring practices. Junior TE Cade Brewer, who was impressive as a True Freshman in 2017, is the leader in the clubhouse heading into spring practices to be the starter for 2019.

What We Hope: Sophomore Wide Receiver Brennan Eagles is an impressive specimen at his size and speed. The hope is that he is able to take the next step and can be relied upon as the X if Johnson is to miss any type of extended time. Texas will be in search of a go-to guy in 2020 and the hopes are that Eagles can be that guy. He needs to flash more in 2019. Senior John Burt was redshirted and will be counted on to bring his track speed (Big XII Champion in the 60M Hurdles) and stretch the field along with Duvernay at the Z. Burt seemingly lost some confidence after his freshman season where he was a starter, but by all accounts, he has continued to persevere and has an opportunity to be a big contributor in 2019 if he can consistently hang on to the football. True Freshman Jordan Whittington is going to be on the field if he is healthy, whether that comes at the expense of a WR or RB remains to be seen.

Texas primarily used one Tight End sets last season. If Cade Brewer is closer to being 100 percent two years removed from his ACL surgery, he would represent a much more athletic target in the passing game than departed Senior captain Andrew Beck did. His primary competition will be Redshirt Sophomore Reese Leitao, whom many Texas fans are interested to see.

What to Watch For: Who will be the fourth Wide Receiver on the field when Texas decides to go to “10” personnel? The slot position is one to keep an eye on, as there may be a battle that takes place between Jordan Whittington and Josh Moore. Texas fans have yet to get a good look at guys like Al’vonte Woodard, Malcolm Epps, and Jordan Pouncey. Epps is especially interesting since Texas appears to want to keep the big-bodied pass catcher at X instead of TE. Pouncey was a featured player in last year’s Orange-White Game, but I don’t remember seeing him at all on Offense during the season last Fall. With the talent that is arriving in the summer in the form of the 2019 class, it would behoove these young men to have strong spring practices and secure their places on the totem pole. True Freshman TE Jared Wiley is an early enrollee but is not expected to be a big contributor in 2019, after spending his Senior season playing Quarterback at Temple High School.

Defense

In the Texas defense, the “Field” Corner refers to the Corner that will take the side of the field that is furthest from whichever hash mark that the ball is placed on. The “Field” Corner is your Cornerback that can cover the most ground. The “Boundary” Corner will always go to the shortest side of the field, where the safety generally can assist more in coverage, if necessary. The “JOKER” in the Texas defense is a Safety/Linebacker hybrid in a 3-3-5 look that Texas aligns in often in the offensively-charged  Big XII.

*Defensive Backs*

Starters:

Field CB: Jalen Green (6’0 185) Sophomore

Boundary CB: Anthony Cook (6’0 195) Sophomore

Nickel: Josh Thompson (6’0 200) Junior OR D’Shawn Jamison (5’10 180) Sophomore

Free Safety: Caden Sterns (6’0 205) Sophomore

Strong Safety: Chris Brown (5’11 210) Junior OR DeMarvion Overshown (6’3 210) Sophomore

JOKER: BJ Foster (6’2 210) Sophomore

Projected Backups:

Field CB: Kobe Boyce (6’0 175) Sophomore

Boundary CB: Donovan Duvernay (5’9 175) Junior

Nickel: D’Shawn Jamison (5’10 180) Sophomore OR Josh Thompson (6’0 200) Junior

Free Safety: Montrell Estell (6’1 200) Sophomore

Strong Safety: BJ Foster (6’2 205) Sophomore OR Chris Brown (5’11 210) Junior

JOKER: DeMarvion Overshown (6’3 210) Sophomore

What We Know: Texas loses both starting Cornerbacks in Kris Boyd and Davante Davis. The duo was solid and brought a ton of experience to the Defensive Backfield for Texas last season. They will return what should be one of the best duos of Safeties in College Football in reigning Big XII Defensive Freshman of the Year Caden Sterns and Senior leader Brandon Jones, who had the option of declaring early for the NFL Draft.  Sophomore B.J. Foster will continue to man the JOKER role, where he proved to be a versatile playmaker. They will be counted on early in the season to provide support for talented Sophomore Corners Anthony Cook and Jalen Green. Junior Josh Thompson, who was up-and-down in 2018, is expected to begin the first spring practices as the starter in the Nickel.

What We Hope: Texas is banking on Cook and Green being as advertised as consensus top-75 national recruits. Cook looked very promising as a Freshman playing in all 14 games, including a start versus Oklahoma State. Green was primarily a Special Teams player and saw limited action on defense. Sophomore D’Shawn Jamison returning to the defensive side of the ball provides Texas with some much-needed depth and competition at the Nickel spot. Jamison was initially recruited to man the Nickel for Texas as a part of a historic 2018 DB recruiting class before spending his Freshman season on offense out of necessity. Texas has question marks at Cornerback and I’m only counting four that are on scholarship heading into Spring 2019. Redshirt Sophomore Kobe Boyce was inconsistent in limited action in 2018 and Redshirt Junior Donovan Duvernay has yet to see much action. Both players will have every opportunity to secure backup roles or possibly more, if one of Green or Cook aren’t ready, or if any injuries were to occur.

What to Watch For: Senior Free Safety Brandon Jones will not participate in spring practices due to having ankle surgery to clean up a high ankle sprain that he played with the handful of games in 2018. What that does is create an opportunity for young players like DeMarvion Overshown, Montrell Estell, and Chris Brown to earn the trust of the Defensive coaches. I am projecting for Brown to begin practices with the first group, but expect for Overshown, Estell, and Brown to all see plenty of run at that Safety spot throughout practices and for a pecking order to form quickly after the pads come on.

Offensive Line Moves

The commitment of Georgia Tech graduate transfer Parker Braun over the weekend really got me thinking. At the beginning of this decade, graduate transfers still weren’t that common of a deal yet. All that I can recall hearing about is Russell Wilson going from NC State to Wisconsin and Greg Paulus going from Duke to Syracuse, to play Football as a grad transfer Quarterback after playing four years of Basketball for the Blue Devils.

I can’t recall having any teammates that were transfers from another program while I was in Austin during 2010 and 2011. The spring of 2012, we brought in big Defensive Tackle Brandon Moore and Offensive Tackle Donald Hawkins from the JUCO ranks. Both guys were recruited from JUCOs, although Brandon had spent a season at Alabama under DL Coach Bo Davis, who was on staff at Texas when he was brought in. Prior to the disaster that was 2010 season, I got the impression that the staff at the time didn’t feel like it was worth the hassle of trying to keep a JUCO transfer eligible (who presumably struggled to qualify out of HS) at a place like Texas or be open to taking a transfer that may not have worked out at a previous stop.

Fast forward to 2018, Texas is coming off of a Texas Bowl win in Tom Herman’s first year as Head Coach. All-Conference LT Connor Williams declares early, leaving a huge hole on the left side of the line. Sam Ehlinger has just led the team in rushing over the course of the entire season with just 381 rushing yards in 13 (THIRTEEN!!!) games. Coach Tom Herman was proactive in finding quick, stop-gap solutions for his program when the options within were not ready. Rice transfer Calvin Anderson and Cal transfer Tre Watson were far from superstars in 2018 for Texas. That isn’t what Texas needed them to be. What they brought on the field was very solid play, but what they brought to the locker room, film room, and weight room, as grown men was exponentially more valuable.

Parker Braun entered his official visit to Texas this past weekend fully intent on taking his other scheduled visits to Ohio State and Florida. What he saw on campus and after spending time with OL Coach Herb Hand and Tom Herman was enough to convince him that he had seen all that he needed to see. Braun, a 2-time All-ACC performer represents possibly the best player on a unit that could be one of Texas’ strongest groups in 2019. It is pretty easy to conclude that the success stories of Anderson and Watson as grad transfers at Texas played a role in Braun feeling confident enough to pull the trigger so quickly.

In Tom Herman’s first recruiting class at Texas in 2017, which was a partial class, he brought in three JUCO players: East Mississippi Community College Kicker Josh Rowland, Northeast Oklahoma A&M Defensive Lineman Jamari Chisholm, and Dodge City Community College Linebacker Gary Johnson. In 2018, Offensive Lineman Mikey Grandy was signed out of the College of San Mateo. And finally, in 2019, Texas signed Butler Community College Defensive End Jacoby Jones and Fullerton Community College LB Caleb Johnson. Both are expected to contribute in 2019. The aforementioned players represent a mixed bag, for sure. But what they also represent is a complete difference in mindset from previous staffs. This current Texas staff seems to fully understand that they inherited a team that was void of dependable upperclassmen talent in 2017. I believe that they know that they still need their recruits to become upperclassmen before Texas is back to where it needs to be. I am encouraged with how proactive they have been in addressing other needs until that happens. The days of a Texas Football staff not exhausting any and all options to make their team the best that it can possibly be appear to be over.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

TFB ramblings on WRs, TEs, and the OL

Hide contents

With spring football practicing opening on March 11th we continue to take a look at each position group for the Longhorns. This week we will direct our attention to the Wide Receivers and Tight Ends on the offensive side of the ball, while we will conclude our look at the defense by focusing on the Defensive Backs.

Offense

*Wide Receivers/Tight Ends*

Starters:

X: Collin Johnson (6’6 225) Senior

Z: Devin Duvernay (5’11 210) Senior

Slot: Josh Moore (6’1 175) Sophomore

TE: Cade Brewer (6’3 250) Junior

Projected Backups:

X: Brennan Eagles (6’3 225) Sophomore

Z: John Burt (6’3 195) Senior

Slot: Jordan Whittington (6’1 205) Freshman OR Jordan Pouncey (6’1 205) Sophomore

TE: Reese Leitao (6’3 250) Sophomore

Reserves:

X: Malcolm Epps (6’5 230) RS Freshman

Z: Al’Vonte Woodard (6’1 205) RS Freshman

Slot: Jordan Pouncey (6’1 205) Sophomore OR Jordan Whittington (6’1 205) Freshman

TE: Jared Wiley (6’6 240) Freshman OR Rob Cummins (6’5 260) Sophomore

What We Know: Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay return and are expected to be the Senior leaders of the Wide Receiver room. Johnson (68-985-7) contemplated an early entry into the 2019 NFL Draft, before ultimately deciding to return to Texas for his final season with All-American aspirations. Duvernay (41-546-4) is one of the premier deep threats in the Big XII with his straight-line speed and reliable hands. Sophomore Slot WR Josh Moore (7-53-1) was on the field early and often before missing the final eight games of the season with a shoulder injury. He is expected to be a full-go for spring practices. Junior TE Cade Brewer, who was impressive as a True Freshman in 2017, is the leader in the clubhouse heading into spring practices to be the starter for 2019.

What We Hope: Sophomore Wide Receiver Brennan Eagles is an impressive specimen at his size and speed. The hope is that he is able to take the next step and can be relied upon as the X if Johnson is to miss any type of extended time. Texas will be in search of a go-to guy in 2020 and the hopes are that Eagles can be that guy. He needs to flash more in 2019. Senior John Burt was redshirted and will be counted on to bring his track speed (Big XII Champion in the 60M Hurdles) and stretch the field along with Duvernay at the Z. Burt seemingly lost some confidence after his freshman season where he was a starter, but by all accounts, he has continued to persevere and has an opportunity to be a big contributor in 2019 if he can consistently hang on to the football. True Freshman Jordan Whittington is going to be on the field if he is healthy, whether that comes at the expense of a WR or RB remains to be seen.

Texas primarily used one Tight End sets last season. If Cade Brewer is closer to being 100 percent two years removed from his ACL surgery, he would represent a much more athletic target in the passing game than departed Senior captain Andrew Beck did. His primary competition will be Redshirt Sophomore Reese Leitao, whom many Texas fans are interested to see.

What to Watch For: Who will be the fourth Wide Receiver on the field when Texas decides to go to “10” personnel? The slot position is one to keep an eye on, as there may be a battle that takes place between Jordan Whittington and Josh Moore. Texas fans have yet to get a good look at guys like Al’vonte Woodard, Malcolm Epps, and Jordan Pouncey. Epps is especially interesting since Texas appears to want to keep the big-bodied pass catcher at X instead of TE. Pouncey was a featured player in last year’s Orange-White Game, but I don’t remember seeing him at all on Offense during the season last Fall. With the talent that is arriving in the summer in the form of the 2019 class, it would behoove these young men to have strong spring practices and secure their places on the totem pole. True Freshman TE Jared Wiley is an early enrollee but is not expected to be a big contributor in 2019, after spending his Senior season playing Quarterback at Temple High School.

Defense

In the Texas defense, the “Field” Corner refers to the Corner that will take the side of the field that is furthest from whichever hash mark that the ball is placed on. The “Field” Corner is your Cornerback that can cover the most ground. The “Boundary” Corner will always go to the shortest side of the field, where the safety generally can assist more in coverage, if necessary. The “JOKER” in the Texas defense is a Safety/Linebacker hybrid in a 3-3-5 look that Texas aligns in often in the offensively-charged  Big XII.

*Defensive Backs*

Starters:

Field CB: Jalen Green (6’0 185) Sophomore

Boundary CB: Anthony Cook (6’0 195) Sophomore

Nickel: Josh Thompson (6’0 200) Junior OR D’Shawn Jamison (5’10 180) Sophomore

Free Safety: Caden Sterns (6’0 205) Sophomore

Strong Safety: Chris Brown (5’11 210) Junior OR DeMarvion Overshown (6’3 210) Sophomore

JOKER: BJ Foster (6’2 210) Sophomore

Projected Backups:

Field CB: Kobe Boyce (6’0 175) Sophomore

Boundary CB: Donovan Duvernay (5’9 175) Junior

Nickel: D’Shawn Jamison (5’10 180) Sophomore OR Josh Thompson (6’0 200) Junior

Free Safety: Montrell Estell (6’1 200) Sophomore

Strong Safety: BJ Foster (6’2 205) Sophomore OR Chris Brown (5’11 210) Junior

JOKER: DeMarvion Overshown (6’3 210) Sophomore

What We Know: Texas loses both starting Cornerbacks in Kris Boyd and Davante Davis. The duo was solid and brought a ton of experience to the Defensive Backfield for Texas last season. They will return what should be one of the best duos of Safeties in College Football in reigning Big XII Defensive Freshman of the Year Caden Sterns and Senior leader Brandon Jones, who had the option of declaring early for the NFL Draft.  Sophomore B.J. Foster will continue to man the JOKER role, where he proved to be a versatile playmaker. They will be counted on early in the season to provide support for talented Sophomore Corners Anthony Cook and Jalen Green. Junior Josh Thompson, who was up-and-down in 2018, is expected to begin the first spring practices as the starter in the Nickel.

What We Hope: Texas is banking on Cook and Green being as advertised as consensus top-75 national recruits. Cook looked very promising as a Freshman playing in all 14 games, including a start versus Oklahoma State. Green was primarily a Special Teams player and saw limited action on defense. Sophomore D’Shawn Jamison returning to the defensive side of the ball provides Texas with some much-needed depth and competition at the Nickel spot. Jamison was initially recruited to man the Nickel for Texas as a part of a historic 2018 DB recruiting class before spending his Freshman season on offense out of necessity. Texas has question marks at Cornerback and I’m only counting four that are on scholarship heading into Spring 2019. Redshirt Sophomore Kobe Boyce was inconsistent in limited action in 2018 and Redshirt Junior Donovan Duvernay has yet to see much action. Both players will have every opportunity to secure backup roles or possibly more, if one of Green or Cook aren’t ready, or if any injuries were to occur.

What to Watch For: Senior Free Safety Brandon Jones will not participate in spring practices due to having ankle surgery to clean up a high ankle sprain that he played with the handful of games in 2018. What that does is create an opportunity for young players like DeMarvion Overshown, Montrell Estell, and Chris Brown to earn the trust of the Defensive coaches. I am projecting for Brown to begin practices with the first group, but expect for Overshown, Estell, and Brown to all see plenty of run at that Safety spot throughout practices and for a pecking order to form quickly after the pads come on.

Offensive Line Moves

The commitment of Georgia Tech graduate transfer Parker Braun over the weekend really got me thinking. At the beginning of this decade, graduate transfers still weren’t that common of a deal yet. All that I can recall hearing about is Russell Wilson going from NC State to Wisconsin and Greg Paulus going from Duke to Syracuse, to play Football as a grad transfer Quarterback after playing four years of Basketball for the Blue Devils.

I can’t recall having any teammates that were transfers from another program while I was in Austin during 2010 and 2011. The spring of 2012, we brought in big Defensive Tackle Brandon Moore and Offensive Tackle Donald Hawkins from the JUCO ranks. Both guys were recruited from JUCOs, although Brandon had spent a season at Alabama under DL Coach Bo Davis, who was on staff at Texas when he was brought in. Prior to the disaster that was 2010 season, I got the impression that the staff at the time didn’t feel like it was worth the hassle of trying to keep a JUCO transfer eligible (who presumably struggled to qualify out of HS) at a place like Texas or be open to taking a transfer that may not have worked out at a previous stop.

Fast forward to 2018, Texas is coming off of a Texas Bowl win in Tom Herman’s first year as Head Coach. All-Conference LT Connor Williams declares early, leaving a huge hole on the left side of the line. Sam Ehlinger has just led the team in rushing over the course of the entire season with just 381 rushing yards in 13 (THIRTEEN!!!) games. Coach Tom Herman was proactive in finding quick, stop-gap solutions for his program when the options within were not ready. Rice transfer Calvin Anderson and Cal transfer Tre Watson were far from superstars in 2018 for Texas. That isn’t what Texas needed them to be. What they brought on the field was very solid play, but what they brought to the locker room, film room, and weight room, as grown men was exponentially more valuable.

Parker Braun entered his official visit to Texas this past weekend fully intent on taking his other scheduled visits to Ohio State and Florida. What he saw on campus and after spending time with OL Coach Herb Hand and Tom Herman was enough to convince him that he had seen all that he needed to see. Braun, a 2-time All-ACC performer represents possibly the best player on a unit that could be one of Texas’ strongest groups in 2019. It is pretty easy to conclude that the success stories of Anderson and Watson as grad transfers at Texas played a role in Braun feeling confident enough to pull the trigger so quickly.

In Tom Herman’s first recruiting class at Texas in 2017, which was a partial class, he brought in three JUCO players: East Mississippi Community College Kicker Josh Rowland, Northeast Oklahoma A&M Defensive Lineman Jamari Chisholm, and Dodge City Community College Linebacker Gary Johnson. In 2018, Offensive Lineman Mikey Grandy was signed out of the College of San Mateo. And finally, in 2019, Texas signed Butler Community College Defensive End Jacoby Jones and Fullerton Community College LB Caleb Johnson. Both are expected to contribute in 2019. The aforementioned players represent a mixed bag, for sure. But what they also represent is a complete difference in mindset from previous staffs. This current Texas staff seems to fully understand that they inherited a team that was void of dependable upperclassmen talent in 2017. I believe that they know that they still need their recruits to become upperclassmen before Texas is back to where it needs to be. I am encouraged with how proactive they have been in addressing other needs until that happens. The days of a Texas Football staff not exhausting any and all options to make their team the best that it can possibly be appear to be over.

I get the exclusion of McCoy at this stage, but they're not expecting anything from Jake Smith this year?

3 minutes ago, nivek3 said:

I get the exclusion of McCoy at this stage, but they're not expecting anything from Jake Smith this year?

Those are the spring ball lineups. McCoy is an oversight, though. Pretty funny he remembered Jared Wiley, but forgot the 10th best recruit UT has ever signed.

Edited by texifornia

Take off the Burnt Orange glasses and try to objectively figure out where GameDay is on 7 September next season.  A&M @ Clemson or LSU @ Texas.  All four teams will likely be ranked in the Top 10 at that time, with Clemson the likely #1 overall.  

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Take off the Burnt Orange glasses and try to objectively figure out where GameDay is on 7 September next season.  A&M @ Clemson or LSU @ Texas.  All four teams will likely be ranked in the Top 10 at that time, with Clemson the likely #1 overall.  

Objectively, A&M sucks, so it will be in Austin

• Like 1

Texas briefly put up the spring roster (and took it down quickly), but posters on other sites were able to catch a glimpse of it and view the early enrollees:

#1 DeGabriel Floyd LB 6-2 240 

#2 Roschon Johnson QB 6-2 215

#5 Bru McCoy WR 6-3 215

#13 Marcus Tillman, Jr. LB 6-1 235 

#18 Jared Wiley TE (no measurements)

#21 Jordan Whittington RB 6-1 215 

#30 Caleb Johnson LB 6-0 235

#36 Jacoby Jones DL 6-3 265

#45 Peter Mpagi DL 6-4 245 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I think we'll get it next year. Not only is it a top 10 matchup, the game will be much closer. A&M is like a 20+ point dog right now.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Since in 2018 GameDay was in Aggyland for Clemson vs Aggy, GameDay will probably be in Austin for LSU.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

It’ll depend on which network wins the game when the networks draft. Fox’s version was far superior during the shootout this past year but now they have liar meyer.

49 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I think we'll get it next year. Not only is it a top 10 matchup, the game will be much closer. A&M is like a 20+ point dog right now.

Both fanbases also have FAR higher inherent TV audiences. Clemson is great at football but doesn't have a huge fanbase and aggy is just kinda upper-middling.

• Like 1

IT

These questions and tasks were borrowed from Ian's defensive post two weeks ago. I put them to sources.

Question: Where do DeMarvion Overshown and B.J. Foster fit? 

Overshown's been hurt. Lots of minor injuries with the safeties: Brandon Jones, Caden Sterns, and Overshown. Heading into spring it will be Chris Brown at field safety, BJ Foster at boundary, Josh at nickel. They haven't really worked joker stuff yet. When everyone's healthy, I'm not sure how it will shake out because they still have the same issues -- more quality players than positions. Spring will be good for getting BJ comfortable playing from depth and getting Thompson ready without the crutch of Jones behind him.

Question: Who’s the most dangerous pass-rusher up front? 

There are a few options. Joseph Ossai of course. He has a true pass rusher build and skill-set. Roach is always going to be active and quick off the ball. He's different than Omenihu. McCulloch at Rover will be an upgrade as a blitzer. With the amount of blitzing that position gets he'll have opportunities. 

Question: Is there a lockdown corner? 

What I'll tell you won't surprise you because I've said it before. I have no worries about Anthony Cook. There won't be a drop off from Kris and he may be better. Certainly more consistent. If KB had another year I think Cook would beat him out. Assuming Green keeps developing I don't think there will be much of a drop off from Davante either.

Task: It’s time to turn Jeffrey McCulloch into an inside-backer.

Yes it is and the staff knows it. Orlando is investing a lot of time in McCulloch and McCulloch is responding and putting in a ton of extra work. They're demanding of him, he needs to learn everyone's job, not just his own or the other linebackers. He'll know what to do, the question will be putting it into action on the field. 

Task: Develop a deep bench of DL into a dominant two-deep. 

Solid is the word that comes to mind. Solid all around, no elite pass rusher. Solid starters and back-ups. What I like about them is they can all hold the point of attack, no Breckyns get tossed around. They can really go about eight deep. I think Bimage is back too who is a borderline starter. That's a lot for a three-man front but they're going to need some play-makers to take the next step.

Task: Train options at nickel (Brandon Jones out for the spring). 

They're all in on Josh Thompson and have been for a long time. He has the best combo of size and coverage ability for the position. He might be the fastest guy on the team, they just have to get him playing like it. It's mental for him but with all the reps and attention he get expect him to take the next step. Chris Brown will be the back-up with D'shawn Jamison focusing on corner. If Thompson struggles versus the run Brown could help. 

One piece of good news that you didn't even know you were in need of:

Caleb Johnson has turned the corner after a bit of a rough acclimation period. Similar to Gary Johnson it wasn't the easiest transition for him from Juco to the demands of UT but he's doing everything the right way the last couple of weeks and if he stays on this path may be looking at playing time. We'll see how he looks when the pads come on.

Next week's practice schedule is Monday-Wednesday-Friday. On days they don't practice they'll lift. The following week is spring break.

PARKER BRAUN

The Georgia Tech graduate transfer weighed in at 292 pounds on the deal-sealing Texas visit. 

The question remaining is whether or not Parker will play or red-shirt. We're betting on playing:

While he'd (Parker's dad) love for Parker to shirt (and agreed on how), he's not holding his breath. In fact (after watching his share of film on our Oline) he expects Parker to start and not shirt simply because "you play your best five - always". When you're an HC making $5M you don't want to risk not bringing your A game, roster-wise included. Yancy was indeed the man. Herman, staff evidenced total alignment throughout the weekend in ways other schools haven't/don't. Measured/weighed in at 6-3, 292.

• Like 1

So, the dunk makes me think of a story a poster here told me about trying to block an AA DT back in the day... Poster basically got rag-dolled, followed by, "Not today, white boy."

That's that drunk...

If the poster chimes in, we can make fun of him.

This last recruiting class has quite a few award winning recruits.  

Roschon-  Best AA football player in the country

Bru McCoy-  Addidas HS player of the year

Jake Smith-  Gatorade POY

Jordan Whittington-  State Champ MVP and all time Texas HS football championship TD record.

Marcus Johnson- UA player of the game

28 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This last recruiting class has quite a few award winning recruits.  

Roschon-  Best AA football player in the country

Bru McCoy-  Addidas HS player of the year

Jake Smith-  Gatorade POY

Jordan Whittington-  State Champ MVP and all time Texas HS football championship TD record.

Marcus Johnson- UA player of the game

Marcus Washington