2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

19 hours ago, texifornia said:

I'll defer to the OL knowers - is Shack really THAT good? I mean he seemed solid, but he's getting some real hype this preseason.

A little of this

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

No. but he's a 4 year starter and even the postseason OL awards are questionable, so the pre-season one's are always a joke. 

A little of that

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

He’s a solid player, but he’s nasty and gives 100%. Lots of players don’t. Shack’s a great team guy. He reminds me a little of Kasey Studdard. Wish we had more like him. 

My main concern with him is injuries, specifically his ankles. He has yet to complete a full season in 3 years. I also believe his development was delayed and he'll (at times) resort back to his freshman days (good for a holding call on a bull rush every other game) but it's not his fault for starting at age 18.

He is a solid center and has plenty of nasty to him. Unfortunately he came in at the wrong time of Texas Football and his body isn't doing him favors either. 

3 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

A little of this

A little of that

My main concern with him is injuries, specifically his ankles. He has yet to complete a full season in 3 years. I also believe his development was delayed and he'll (at times) resort back to his freshman days (good for a holding call on a bull rush every other game) but it's not his fault for starting at age 18.

He is a solid center and has plenty of nasty to him. Unfortunately he came in at the wrong time of Texas Football and his body isn't doing him favors either. 

I do hope a full offseason of being healthy has allowed him to get stronger.  He's  been too light in the pants the last few years. If he can increase his ability to drive DL off their spots, he could have a really good year. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Underclassman Shack vs. Upperclassman Shack is exhibit A of how fucked our player development and roster management had been since the latter Mack years.

True, but we got what we needed. He was a K-State type player (who was going to K-State until we stole him), who we expected would produce solid, not stellar results. And he has.

That is much better than what we were signing at the time. Shack can play in the NFL if he can stay healthy.

Shack is going to be a beast this year.  Really sucks that he didn’t get to redshirt as this should be his RS Jr year.  His strength shouldn’t be an issue this year.  He knows the offense and has a nasty attitude to him.  

For the first time in over a decade are we able to RS all the OL.  Look at what a year did for Cosmi in the weight room.  I cannot believe how the previous staffs grossly mismanaged the O-line.  There was a point where we only had 6 scholarship lineman.  

On 6/19/2019 at 2:13 PM, texifornia said:

I'll defer to the OL knowers - is Shack really THAT good? I mean he seemed solid, but he's getting some real hype this preseason.

I think he actually played pretty well the back half of the season. I'd like him better if he was a RSJr, but yeah, he probably is one of the Top 5 returning C's in college football.

46 minutes ago, Nivek said:

They should have lottery where they pick a few fans for offseason workouts. LHN can film and add content.

There was a news story when Charlie was still at Louisville where a reporter spent a day with Pat Moorer in "The Pit" and got his world rocked. He walked out of there looking like he had seen things. 

Link: 

Spoiler

• Like 1

IT team notes (Kool Aid, Kool Aid, Kool Aid)

TEAM DEPTH CHART

Football is slowly creeping back. I continue to hear nothing but positives. One source said, "everything is going smoothly. Everyone is bigger, faster, and stronger. Things are going a little too smoothly, like you're expecting something bad to happen."

Competition should be fierce across the board, though most position battles are decided before August camp. As an example, Malcolm Epps is a good player but he isn't going to jump Collin Johnson. August will be telling to see if they get creative with Epps.

This is the most talented roster the school has had in a long time, with legitimate depth at defensive line, wide receiver, and the defensive backfield. The offensive line is getting there too. Quarterback and running back are a little thin but will be addressed in this recruiting class. Linebacker is an interesting case. It's thin this year but Marcus Tillman and David Gbenda should be players down the road.

QB: Ehlinger, Thompson, Johnson.
RB: Ingram, Young, Johnson, Whittington (Herman is big on "earning" playing time. Whittington will be ahead of everyone but Ingram come September)
TE: Brewer, Leitao, Wiley, Liebrock
ZWR: Duvernay, Eagles (Eagles is killing corners in workouts), Woodard, Burt
XWR: Johnson, Epps, Washington
HWR: Moore, Pouncey, Smith (he'll move up quickly)
LT: Cosmi, Moore
LG: Angilau, Braun, Imade (Braun will win it, then Angilau is competing at RG)
Center: Shackelford, Ghirmai (but really Kerstetter)
RG: Kerstetter, Angilau
RT: Okafor, Kerstetter, Jones

This likely shakes out as Cosmi-Bruan-Shack-Angilau-Kerstetter by the first game.

DE: Graham and Roach followed by Bimage and Jacoby Jones (Moro Ojomo will push for playing time as well)
DT: Wilbon and Coburn are basically co-starters then you have Christmas who has had the light come on to a certain extent. I've heard some good things on Carson and Jamari Chisholm too. They're not difference makers or anything but could contribute.
LB: McCulloch is Rover in nickel and Mac when in dime. That means Dele is Mac in nickel and Ossai is Rover in dime. Tillman is going to be a solid player but maybe not this year. Caleb Johnson could push for playing time with a good August. Sources seem excited about McCulloch and he's maintained his weight loss.
BLB: Ossai then Vaughns. Ossai or Angilau are the hardest workers on the team. They're both really talented too so they're headed for huge paydays down the road. Vaughns just needs to stay focused and wait his turn. He's talented.
Nickel: Thompson then Foster. This will be a real competition. Each has also worked at boundary safety.
FCB: Green, Jamison
BCB: Cook, Boyce (Jamison is probably the third corner right now, which means he'd start the opener with Cook out due to suspension), Watson is already turning heads with his work ethic and demeanor
FS: Jones, Estell
BS: Sterns, Brown
Joker: Overshown, Foster (Overshown has also repped at boundary safety. Other than the pure corners the defensive backs cross-train all over the place).

I can't wait for August when the depth chart comes into even sharper resolution.

Edited by Machinator

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Also Tim Beck's daughter is hot af... we've covered this already, right? 

That her in the middle row, second from the right?  If so , then yeah

j/k of course

Edited by Lhorn

13 hours ago, Machinator said:

Warehime + Matt's El Rancho may not be a good combination right now...

Send Warehime to some recruit's home that Texas doesn't really want,  to leave his message behind.

(Or leave his behind message??.... hahahaha)

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes (Kool Aid, Kool Aid, Kool Aid)

Hide contents

TEAM DEPTH CHART

Nickel: Thompson then Foster. This will be a real competition. Each has also worked at boundary safety.

Joker: Overshown, Foster (Overshown has also repped at boundary safety. Other than the pure corners the defensive backs cross-train all over the place).

There is 0.00% change that Foster is not a starter at one of these positions. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Warehime + Matt's El Rancho may not be a good combination right now...

Send Warehime to some recruit's home that Texas doesn't really want,  to leave his message behind.

(Or leave his behind message??.... hahahaha)

Maybe 247sports has it wrong, but if you can believe it:

247sports - Samuel Cosmi - Recruiting Profile - Recruited by Derek Warehime

247sports - Junior Angilau - Recruiting Profile - Recruited by Derek Warehime

247sports - Reese Moore - Recruiting Profile - Recruited by Derek Warehime

Frankly, if you think back with what Warehime had to work with when he was the line coach, it wasn't much. No one's happier with the Herb Hand hire than me, but the situation Warehime walked into wasn't conducive to success. Herman clearly felt the need to upgrade though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

There is 0.00% change that Foster is not a starter at one of these positions. 

I also saw that part and rolled my eyes. He’s not only a proven starter in the secondary already, he’s probably the best blitzer on the team. He needs to be all over the field and out there on every snap. 

• Like 1

The Eyes of Texas: Former Big 12 coach weighs in on Texas

OPPORTUNITY FOR TEXAS IN 2019?
I talked to a former Big 12 head coach this week who had some interesting perspective on the Big 12 race in 2019 and why the Longhorns should be back in the conference championship game again this season.
The coach said even though the Longhorns have a lot of experience to replace on defense, including both starting cornerbacks, “I think Texas has to be looking at this year as a great opportunity to break through.”
Why?
There were several reasons mentioned by the former Big 12 coach, including:
Sam Ehlinger returning at quarterback
“Ehlinger is one of those ultimate alpha quarterbacks who teammates love, who grew up before our eyes last season. Credit Tom (Herman) and Tim Beck for getting him over the hump after he turned it over late in the Maryland loss last year. For Ehlinger to go 300-something passes without an interception after that, including the win over OU, tells you everything you need to know. As long as he (Ehlinger) stays healthy, Texas’ offense should continue to improve.”

Tom Herman calling offensive plays
“It was obvious Tom was calling the plays last season, because one of the things Tom is really good at it is getting the offense into rhythm with his play calls. Whether it’s with tempo or not, he just has a really good feel for what his players do well and when to call those plays against the defense they’re facing. They didn’t have a lot of margin for error in most of their games last season, and Tom did a nice job of calling plays that kept drives moving, eating clock and keeping some explosive offenses in our league off the field.”

The Texas defense might be inexperienced, but it’s talented
“We recruited against Texas, so I know the talent they have, and they have some talented guys who probably ready to step it up this season — guys like Joseph Ossai, Jalen Green, Anthony Cook and Keondre Coburn. Here’s my big question for them defensively: Was Tom (Herman) dictating to (Todd) Orlando some of the defenses he wanted called? A lot of teams tried to take what (Iowa State defensive coordinator) Jon Heacock was doing (with his 3-8 cloud) and employ elements of it. And it seemed like Tom might have told Orlando to incorporate more of that last season, and I’m not sure it came naturally to Todd (Orlando). Orlando is an attack guy, who does a really nice job disguising pressure. So, I suspect they’ll either double-down on the 3-8 stuff or get away from it and probably do what Orlando does best, which is use their speed to disguise pressure. But even though Texas has a bunch of starters who just left on defense, they still have a bunch of really talented dudes ready to take those spots.”

The Big 12 seems to be in transition in 2019
“There are four new head coaches (at Texas Tech, West Virginia, Kansas State and Kansas) and new offensive coordinators at Iowa State and Oklahoma State. And there’s not the experience at quarterback in the league we’ve had in recent years. Right now, the most experienced quarterbacks in the league are at Texas (Ehlinger), OU (Jalen Hurts), K-State (Skylar Thompson) and Baylor (Charlie Brewer). And two of those are learning new offenses (Hurts and Thompson). So, Texas has a bunch of players who just got a taste of playing for the Big 12 title last year who know each other and should be hungry and on a bit of a mission. That counts for a lot.”

The former Big 12 coach said Oklahoma will undoubtedly be the favorite going into the year. But the source said there are a couple things to watch with regard to the Sooners in 2019.
“Obviously, OU is the favorite, because Lincoln Riley has shown he can plug transfer quarterbacks into his offense and not miss a beat. But he had Baker Mayfield and Kylar Murray each for two years before their Heisman seasons, and he’ll have only had Jalen Hurts for a spring. Will that matter? Maybe not. But it’s something to watch.

“Also, how does Lincoln mesh with Alex Grinch, his new defensive coordinator? Remember, Lincoln inherited Mike Stoops when Bob (Stoops) stepped down. Then, because they made the (College Football) Playoff, Lincoln probably felt he couldn’t make a change. I’d heard Lincoln was gathering intel on potential defensive coordinators from the time he got the job. So, he finally has his own guy. And Grinch is good. He might get that defense to really take off, kind of like Orlando did in his first year at Texas.”

In conclusion, the former Big 12 coach said:
“I’d be surprised if it’s not Texas and Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game again this year. And if that’s the case, it will come down to which team is playing better defensively. That’s how that game was decided last year. Texas had control of the (title) game defensively early, and OU made the play defensively late with the strip sack of Ehlinger in the end zone.”