Oregon Recs?

RCRanger03

Are you set on an area? Or wandering? Oregon beaches are beautiful, but the water is fucking cold year round.

Central to Southern Coast is more rugged and scenic.  Less touristy, but still towns that are mostly about tourism. 

Plenty to look at and do on Northern Coast.  Has the most popular tourist towns.  Some highly rated breweries.

We drove south from Portland into the Willamette Valley wine region, which was a lot of fun.  Spent a little time in both Eugene and Corvallis, then headed west to the coast at Newport.  The drive from there up to Cannon Beach and back to Portland is stunning.  And, as has been pointed out, Mount Hood is a must see.  It would take the better part of a week just to do those two trips, so you'd probably have to dial it back a bit (no reason to spend much time in Eugene or Corvallis), but as great as Portland is, you're wise to be getting out for at least part of your trip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 8:41 AM, miguelito said:

Head east from Portland along the Columbia River.  See the waterfalls.  Multnomah Falls is badass.

7e937048afe18c0c0a34e67ab200ed32.jpg

Seconded.  You could the drive from Portland along the Columbia River, to the town of Hood River, is chock full of great stops, short hikes, etc.  The Dam at Cascade Locks is worth the time, as is the nearby fish hatchery.  Hood River has a great little downtown, with good restaurants and breweries, as well as some new development along the riverfront (sort of).

Don't get out of your car and try and put gas in it. Those fuckers get nervy about someone who isn't a 17 year old on minimum wage having the wherewithal to handle flammable liquids. 

Chill in Portland, get sick of the homeless and the hipsters after about 2 minutes then head east to the Columbia River gorge. Then West and North to the coast. 

17 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Seconded.  You could the drive from Portland along the Columbia River, to the town of Hood River, is chock full of great stops, short hikes, etc.  The Dam at Cascade Locks is worth the time, as is the nearby fish hatchery.  Hood River has a great little downtown, with good restaurants and breweries, as well as some new development along the riverfront (sort of).

Also can vouch for Hood River be a great place to visit. We rented a place there for a week in August and used it as our base to do day trips all around the area. Never made it to the coast because there was plenty to do close by and decided we would do a coast only trip another time. I will be watching for coastal recs as well for the next trip, in the mean time there is some basic info to be found at TravelOregon.com. Not insightful Surly lowdown info but helpful none the less.

We stayed at a few state parks on the Oregon coast.  They have little cabins/yurts  you can rent.   That's worth  a day.  

We went in the fall, and there were several small towns on the coast that looked dead, so I assume summer is the busy season.  We didn't mind because it looked like a bunch of touristy crap.  

Yea, head east to hood river for at least a day trip,  two is better.

Mt st Helens isn't too far if you are into that sort of stuff.

The wife and I did a roadtrip through Oregon a couple years ago, I think the last week of April. Drove east from Portland and camped along the Columbia River a couple nights. We did an awesome hike from Eagle Creek Trailhead with something like 6 waterfalls. Unfortunately some shithead teens shot off fireworks around there and burned the forest down. Then we drove down to Bend, which I highly recommend if you like beer. Excellent breweries and not terribly far from Crater Lake. As far as it being worth it, that time of year you will likely only have access to the area by the lodge, with most of the road around the lake closed due to snow. We went anyway and it was still an incredible sight. We drove for the coast after that and camped near Yachats, which is pretty small and didn't have a ton going on. Still, the drive up the coast is gorgeous and definitely recommend Cannon Beach.

Tunnel Falls, Crater Lake, Yaquina Head Lighthouse
832aa139c04b9a1efc82c49f097410bf.jpgdc99dea6b6c7c87670f367bc3d837acd.jpg741b87f8910b35ab9c9c132a8ef452c6.jpg

7 hours ago, RCRanger03 said:

Is Crater Lake worth the haul and burning a day traveling back and forth (looks like 5 hours one way)?

I’m assuming in early May that Mt. Rainer and St. Helens will be more closed than open. They’re both closer to Portland though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not especially if the lake isn’t visible from most viewing areas. They have a website where you can check to see before going.

On 1/19/2019 at 7:23 AM, RCRanger03 said:

Is Crater Lake worth the haul and burning a day traveling back and forth (looks like 5 hours one way)?

I’m assuming in early May that Mt. Rainer and St. Helens will be more closed than open. They’re both closer to Portland though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cerator lake was pretty bad ads, also should take a dip in it

• 3 weeks later...

Be aware that the Columbia River Gorge is still recovering from the fires a while back... There may be a few area still off limits. 

St. Helen's is the call over Rainier, if only for distance. Hood is nearby tho. 

Second every recommendation for the coast. If you go to Astoria, be aware that the owners of The Goonies House won't allow you near it.

Portland is a great place if you're a foodie. If you are a reader, spend a few hours at Powells. 

Second every recommendation for the coast. If you go to Astoria, be aware that the owners of The Goonies House won't allow you near it.

Well yea...unless you do the Truffle Shuffle.

Powell’s is amazing and I don’t read a ton of books (wife does).

Agree on the food. Didn’t have anything i didn’t find pretty damn good in 4 days up there.

We spent a week in Oregon this last October. Flew in to Portland, camped our way down the coast to RWNP, up and over to CL, back to Mt Hood, the CRG, and MSH. Here is a cross post from the camping thread

QCFfVYHF_o.jpeg

View from our first campsite on the Nehalem River

MuV01wWy_o.jpeg
2JTjelT2_o.jpeg
8JMMzOoK_o.jpeg
OYYLi6Bl_o.jpeg

Some pics as we explore our way south down the coast. I think most of these were in Samuel Bardman State Park

TqkzlSZX_o.jpeg
yMdPdylb_o.jpeg

The Lady Bird Johnson Grove and our campsite in RWNP.

b4lsYWbW_o.jpeg

Rogue River Gorge

Q1B4NRFI_o.jpeg
0JJF8bjP_o.jpeg
xJapX0Rq_o.jpeg
vXVOOuj3_o.jpeg

Not much sun the day we were at Crater lake, but the occasional sun really made the blue water pop on occasion.

Ca0Grkzy_o.jpeg

Umpqua Hot Springs carved into the side of the mountain.

5NJ6XXQw_o.jpeg

View from the Timberline Lodge.

WGzJZ4EP_o.jpeg
9HD6BjeP_o.jpeg
3iu72l0R_o.jpeg

Views from our campsite near Mt. Hood.
3i0yQlfR_o.jpeg
MDnI2QCZ_o.jpeg
yABquEbZ_o.jpeg

Waterfalls in the CRG

LTjnyLsq_o.jpeg

This was the best view we got of MSH. Tons of rain and wind. It had snowed there earlier in the morning.
yZ15HcUj_o.jpeg

The edge of the blast zone, 14 miles away, and the new bridge.

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Like 3

Also Haystack Rock (Goonies) is not in Pacific City it is off Cannon Beach between Tilamook and Astoria.  The weather was so shitty we skipped it but just up the road from Cannon Beach is Indian Beach in Ecola Park.  If you go there you like Bohdi can wait for your set during the 50 year storm.  Or you can dog paddle to New Zealand

No way Bells is bigger than Waimea bro!

Edited by Surly Bevo

On 2/23/2019 at 7:07 PM, milkman said:

Stay at The Allison Inn & Spa in Newberg. Have dinner at The Painted Lady. Hire a driver and visit some of the wineries.

Lol who do I look like?!? ROCKO? I'm a poor non profit worker (Support Mobile Loaves & Fishes so we can better serve the homeless... but mostly to pay me more) 

But seriously I appreciate all these recommendations

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Bump... have this general itinerary in place...

Fly into Portland - stay two nights.

Drive to the Colombia River Gorge... see the falls, etc and then drive around Mt. Hood to Timberline Lodge.  Stay in Welches or whatever its called for one night.

Drive down to Bend.  Stay two nights.

Drive down to Crater Lake... then stay in Prospect Oregon for one night

Drive down to Crescent City, CA for two nights to hit Redwood NP and whatever there is to do there.

Drive back up to Portland, stay one night

Peace out next day

So... any good ideas?  Clearly we're in it for the outdoors and natural beauty stuff and probably lots of good craft beer, kitschy bigfoot crap, etc.